Bronson Kaufusi - OLB/Elephant - Brigham Young

H

HardRightEdge

This player's typical designation as "DE" isn't the Packer fit.

Looking at the tape, he gets pushed around a lot when he plays between 3 and 5 tech. When you watch him outside the OT or TE at 7 tech out to wide-9 (in down stance and standing up), he looks like a different player and is often impactful. He's just better in space. See tape:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

In GB I'd see him at the OLB/Elephant position in the Peppers/Neal/Jones mold. Kaufusi is 6'6", 285 and runs a 4.8 and did 25 lifts. Neal is gone and Peppers, Jones and Perry are in contract years.

Thompson's typical invitee is a lower round-to-UDFA guy; this guy probably will go more in the middle rounds. He doesn't fit for your typical 3-tech/5-tech DE and may not be viewed physical enough for 4-3 DE either, so he could drop to 5th. round but I doubt it.

Of course, he played basketball. ;) He sat on BYU's bench as a frosh and soph before giving it up to commit to football.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Here's PFF's scouting report on Kaufusi:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/04/draft-pff-scouting-profile-bronson-k aufusi-de-byu/

He had the highest ranked pass rush productivity and fourth-best run stop percentage among draft-eligible interior defenders last season.
28th. overall run grade among interior linemen while playing in an FSB conference. There's a reason he's projected for mid-rounds.

He's an OLB to my eye; better to start him out there than wait 3 years to decide he's best working one-on-one against OTs. If the tape isn't enough, his length extends to his arms (34 1/2") and hands (9 3/4"), good tools for that job.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

28th. overall run grade among interior linemen while playing in an FSB conference. There's a reason he's projected for mid-rounds.

He's an OLB to my eye; better to start him out there than wait 3 years to decide he's best working one-on-one against OTs. If the tape isn't enough, his length extends to his arms (34 1/2") and hands (9 3/4"), good tools for that job.

According to PFF he had most of his production against centers and guards inside. That seems to indicate he would be fine playing 3-tech in the base defense and move inside in subpackages.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

According to PFF he had most of his production against centers and guards inside. That seems to indicate he would be fine playing 3-tech in the base defense and move inside in subpackages.
How do they measure productivity? It looks like he was taking the majority of his snaps between the tackles which would result in better gross numbers. I just see a guy who looks so different and more impactful when playing outside the tackle.

D

Deleted member 6794

How do they measure productivity? It looks like he was taking the majority of his snaps between the tackles which would result in better gross numbers. I just see a guy who looks so different and more impactful when playing outside the tackle.

PFF measures pass rush productivity as sacks, hits and pressures per pass rush snap with sacks being more valuable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts