Boerigter is no bargain so far

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Rob Demovsky
[email protected]

A week into training camp, receiver Marc Boerigter has found himself in a fight for a roster spot.

Ted Thompson didn't throw gobs of money at Boerigter in free agency, but the Green Bay Packers general manager hoped at the very least he had secured a possession-type receiver who could make a strong run at the No. 3 position on the depth chart for a relatively low price.

Turns out, Thompson may have thrown away $182,700 in bonus money he gave to Boerigter as a part of a one-year contract.

Boerigter, who spent the last four years as a backup and special teams player with the Kansas City Chiefs, has improved only slightly on what was a disappointing offseason showing during the minicamps and organized team activities. The spring sessions saw Boerigter drop a few too many passes for the coaching staff's liking, and in camp he's been only slightly more consistent in limited opportunities.

It hasn't helped Boerigter's chances that second-round draft pick Greg Jennings has shot up the depth chart with relative ease and has passed not only Boerigter but fellow veteran Rod Gardner.

"He's been inconsistent to this point," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said of Boerigter. "I've talked to him every day about being consistent. When you get out there, you've got to make plays. That's the only way to get noticed. You know why Jennings is getting noticed right now? He's making plays.

"That's what 83 (Boerigter) has got to start doing more of. You want to be noticed in camp. You want coaches asking, 'Who was that?' about you."

Boerigter, a small-college player from Hastings (Neb.) College who got his pro start in the Canadian Football League, was an intriguing prospect in the low-risk world of mid-level free agency, an area Thompson often prefers over the big-money players. In addition to the relatively modest bonus, Boerigter's contract included a base salary of $600,000.

The Packers liked Boerigter's size — at 6-foot-3 he's the second-tallest among the 12 receivers in camp — and felt he had retained most, if not all, of the speed he had before his 2004 knee injury. Boerigter missed all of the '04 season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee.

The signing was a bit of a gamble because Boerigter struggled last season and caught only eight passes for 119 yards and didn't have a touchdown. He was inactive for six, and it had nothing to do with his injury.

"It's kind of a myth that I was still hurt last year," Boerigter said. "I wasn't. I was completely healthy last year."

Boerigter signed with the Packers in March after visiting Tampa Bay and Seattle because he thought he'd have his best opportunity for playing time here given that the Packers didn't have another proven receiver behind Donald Driver.

Even after the Packers drafted Jennings and Cory Rodgers (fourth-round pick), Boerigter remained in the Packers' plans. They still felt Boerigter could develop into a Brian Finneran- or Joe Jurevicius-type receiver. However, Boerigter caught a case of the drops in the offseason, which caused concern among the coaching staff.

"I thought in the spring he struggled at times catching it," receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. "I haven't seen him struggling to catch it this summer, and that may be more a function of not having as many opportunities, but he seems to be catching the ball better. He just hasn't had near as many opportunities.

"I like what I've seen. He's just got to get up there with the rest of them, and he will. He and I both agreed that he needed to catch the ball better than he did in the spring. He'll work through that."

Boerigter acknowledged on Thursday between practices that he might have some work to do to ensure his spot on the 53-man roster.

"In this business, you're never sure about anything," Boerigter said. "The moment you start feeling comfortable, things can go the other way for you. I'm confident I'm going to make this team but definitely not comfortable. I've been around long enough to know that if things aren't going well for you early in camp, you've got to pick it up. But it's not something you panic about."

Boerigter's chances to stick with the Packers may come down to how many receivers Thompson decides to keep. If he retains only five, Boerigter might lose out to Driver, Gardner, Jennings Rodgers and Robert Ferguson.

"I'm looking forward to playing in the preseason games," Boerigter said. "I mean, practices have a lot to do with making the team but when you get to live competition, it's a new ball game."

starpass

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Having watch Boeritter in KC for the past few years...he is the real deal.
He was hurt last year.
His rookie year he had some big catches...for TDs...He is worth the cash...
He is a solid posession or 3rd down receiver.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was expecting Bo' to show better before now, but there's still time left for him to get it together. He knows this is it.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He might just feel too much pressure right now. Maybe he will settle down and start making plays. If he wants to keep his job, he will.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
preseason games are right around the corner. lets see what these guys do then.

IndiPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. Popular wisdom is ya can't tell crud from preseason. Bs. Ya can see who plays better beyond regular practice.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
IndiPack said:
Exactly. Popular wisdom is ya can't tell crud from preseason. Bs. Ya can see who plays better beyond regular practice.

It also determines if you make or dont make the super bowl!!!!

anyone remember that debate from last year? lol

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that debate. It ran the whole spectrum of preseason didn't mean squat to it meant everything....God I hope that argument doesn't come back. :pray:

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well when you look into Boerigter's stats they dont look like anything to get excited over but hey ya never know he just may surprise us....Right?

I hope so.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked the signing initially because I thought he would be that possession type receiver that Favre could make some "safer" throws to. I'm still not sure if he'll develop into that role because of the dropsies he's been reported to having in camp. In fact, if his hands don't get a little better, he may not make the roster.

You're right though...he may surprise us and I hope so as well.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah and I think he would be like Terrence Murphy last year. By that I mean not the star role but like ND said safe passes (Murphy without the Injury I mean)

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well if I hadto pick between Boerigter or Gardner I'd say the DUH answer is Gardner

Woodson21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I think either Boerigter or Gardner will be released come final roster cut down.

yeah i agree with you, if i had 2 choose either one i would go with gardner..

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boerigter - 3rd string potential

Gardner - 2 string potential (possible first for a sucky team)

hmmm yeah go with gardner

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess what I dislike about him comes from the reports that he's the only WR that's "walking" around, not showing any enthusiasm apparently. I don't understand it. He's got to know his head is on the line...that if he doesn't start impressing the coaches he's history. But then, Hunt and Gravy didn't seem to realize that their laid-back attitude would cost them. Hell, Hunt was surprised when he was cut. This IS the big-leagues, Bo!

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Retired your right but I still hate to see Hunt and Grady go they were so good

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cyoung,

You're joking about Hunt right? That lazy SOB should have been cut before he did and all he did was walk his lazy **** straight to the bank...I'm glad he's gone.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well your right about hunt but Jackson was good...right unless I was watching someone else and I'm delirious

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jackson was pretty good but he was aging and didn't want too do the work. He just wanted to show up for his paycheck's on Sunday.

Hunt well they're is a reason why nobody has picked him up. He just wasn't very good after he got his contract.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boerigter was kind of a longshot anyway. If he couldn't make it in Kansas City, where he had a high-powered offense that was in need of better receivers, he won't be able to make it anywhere unless he gets a lot better. And if he can't lock down that #3 spot, he will not be worth keeping. Thompson will go with younger guys for the #4 and #5 WR spots.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think that Boerigter and Gardner are both going to stick, unless one or more of the others are injured. I've heard that a couple of the other young guys (I don't know their names yet) are showing some potential, and possibly one of them will make the roster. I'm hoping one of them stands out in training camp.

It seems more likely to me that an extra roster spot will be used for the running backs rather than the receivers.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
[quote="Greg C.":229lxv01] Thompson will go with younger guys for the #4 and #5 WR spots.

I think they keep Bo on potential, and go with 6 WRs.

(In no particular order)
1. Driver
2. Ferggy
3. Boerigter
4. Gardner
5. Jennings
6. Rodgers (mainly for KRs)[/quote:229lxv01]

I see it like

1 Driver
2 Ferggy
3 Gardner
4 Jennings