1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

Bates as Coordinator

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by IPBprez, Jan 14, 2005.

1. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    From PackersNews.com
    Teams likely to seek Bates as Coordinator

[​IMG]

By Pete Dougherty
    PackersNews.com

If coach Mike Sherman changes defensive coordinators for a second straight year, there

2. eastcoastpacker

eastcoastpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Hope that they go after him,sounds like what the team needs. I but alot of teams would want him,so if they want him they better move fast. Thanks IPB another great story!!

3. sixone220

sixone220 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    sherman will drag his feet and we'll never get him

4. eastcoastpacker

eastcoastpacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe Sherman won't be one to hire him,as the Green Bay Head coach. :lol: :lol:

5. ldlehrer

ldlehrer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bates as the Packers new defensive cordinator.

If Bates is available the Packers need to step up and hire him as the Packers new defensive cordinator. The Packers defense is one of the worst in the NFL. I think Bates is one of the better defensive cordinators and I think he will be able to dramatically improve the Packers defense. I suspect he will be an expensive hire. Coach's salaries do not count against the salary cap.

6. IPBprez

IPBprez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Could be -- this article is (so far) the only one I've found that discusses the option or possibility. Certainly, the Pack would like to get a good defensive mind like that of Fritz Shurmur... but they are rare.

Hopefully, after 11am today, we'll know more about what Ted Thompson has in mind.

7. slackerbacker

slackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He (Bates) had much better personnel than the Packers — from 2000 to 2003, the Dolphins had seven different players go to the Pro Bowl —

This is no small point. Far too many fans here and on other sites seem to think a coach can do it all. It just isn't so; a good team has talented players not average players.

8. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

9. Gravedigger

Gravedigger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    What do people think of Duffner?

10. ArizonaPackerFan

ArizonaPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know much about Bates because I don't follow the Dolphins much, but almost anyone has to be an improvement over Slowik.

I don't think I'd promote Duffner either. I thought our LBs played soft and out of position too often.

I'd like to see them go after Eric Mangini of the Patriots. I wanted him last year. The way his secondary shut down the Colts without Ty Law was impressive.

11. Gbrown9361

Gbrown9361 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The pack has a long offseason ahead of them. I really hope and pray that they fire Slowik. I wasn't real high on firing Ed Donatell in the first place, at least his bend but don't break defense kept us in games. Granted those teams weren't the greatest defensivly but at least you didn't go into every game thinking you needed 35 to win. In my opinion we fired a guy who couldn't make the stop on 4th and 26 and hired someone who can never get the other team there.

12. Gbrown9361

Gbrown9361 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    O yeah and to that guy who made that slight suggestion about firing mike sherman, pull your head out of your rectal area. Mike Sherman is a good coach and has benn nothing but good to the packers.