Assistants Purged

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince Workman Fired as weight room assistant. What did he do wrong?

Bruce Warwick Director of football administration. (whatever that entails)

Larry Rubin Strength and Conditioning. Blamed for injuries?

John Bonamego special teams coordinator. Obvious reasons

Joe Baker secondary/safeties coach. better than 04 but not enough

Mark Duffner linebackers coach. We he is a Sherman guy that's why.

Larry Beightol offensive line coach. Just because he was a Sherman guy?
I wonder why Joe Baker was let go other than "because I want my guy"?

I thought Larry Beightol was a good coach but I guess I was wrong.

Will the replacements be as good? Some new ones will be fired next year.

Well, now the players will have new rules in the weight room.
I hope these assistants all wind up with better positions.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Because I want my guy" is a perfectly good reason to fire assistant coaches. It is usually better to get a fresh start with people who were brought in under your terms rather than retaining people who have loyalties to the former regime or are just not your style. Comfort level is important.

I don't like hearing about the Baker and Duffner firings, though, because if there is a chance of Bates staying I would've expected the team to hold off on firing defensive assistants.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok, bates is a good coach but is he THAT great?? our defense was good but was it THAT great?? i'm just asking - don't beat me up too bad, ok guys?!? is it more of a consistency thing - is that the reason for wanting to keep him so badly??

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Vince Workman Fired as weight room assistant. What did he do wrong?

Bruce Warwick Director of football administration. (whatever that entails)

Larry Rubin Strength and Conditioning. Blamed for injuries?

John Bonamego special teams coordinator. Obvious reasons

Joe Baker secondary/safeties coach. better than 04 but not enough

Mark Duffner linebackers coach. We he is a Sherman guy that's why.

Larry Beightol offensive line coach. Just because he was a Sherman guy?
I wonder why Joe Baker was let go other than "because I want my guy"?

I thought Larry Beightol was a good coach but I guess I was wrong.

Will the replacements be as good? Some new ones will be fired next year.

Well, now the players will have new rules in the weight room.
I hope these assistants all wind up with better positions.

Also forgotten, Offensive coordinator Tom Rossley was dumped as well.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This should come as no surprise--coaches often times fill their own staffs--Bonamego's special teams staff has achieved sub-mediocrity, Larry Beightol was a good o-line coach, but there again, new coach means new direction

And Bates stays on A-because he's a great DC, B-because McCarthy's exclusively been an offensive guy, and he is young

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
ok, bates is a good coach but is he THAT great?? our defense was good but was it THAT great?? i'm just asking - don't beat me up too bad, ok guys?!? is it more of a consistency thing - is that the reason for wanting to keep him so badly??

He took our #27 defense and turned it into a #7 defense. Also I doubt our guys want to go through their 4th defensive coordinator in 4 years.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
4packgirl said:

He took our #27 defense and turned it into a #7 defense. Also I doubt our guys want to go through their 4th defensive coordinator in 4 years.

#27 to #7 with less of a pass rush than the year we were #27--and no additions last offseason

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
"Vince Workman Fired as weight room assistant".

This one really blows me away :roll: .

I wouldn't want anyone who played for Lindy Infante on my team in any capacity.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You just can't go to the Super Bowl with Vince Workman as your weight room assistant. I mean you really want to bring in top notch talent for that job. It is really important that the weights be sorted by mass and that the floor is kept clear with a high coefficient of friction.

Tracking the number of reps a player does and providing an encouraging and safe environment is important and should be taken seriously. Now we have the opportunity to select the finest weight room assistant in the league who will adhere to the new coach's philosophy regarding weight room assisting.

Yep! A whole new world of weight room assisting is about to begin.

I wonder if McCarthy ever even spoke to Vince before firing him?
How threatening is Vince that he had to be fired?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl: It's a legitimate question you ask about Bates. Although our defense was ranked 7th in terms of total yardage, it did not generate many turnovers and was really an average defense. But Bates' track record in Miami was outstanding, and the players we have in Green Bay seem well-suited to his schemes. So I hope he sticks around. It's possible that we overrate Bates a little because the failed Slowik experiment is fresh in our minds. But we don't want to lose a coach who has proven himself to be good for many years now.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
4packgirl: It's a legitimate question you ask about Bates. Although our defense was ranked 7th in terms of total yardage, it did not generate many turnovers and was really an average defense. But Bates' track record in Miami was outstanding, and the players we have in Green Bay seem well-suited to his schemes. So I hope he sticks around. It's possible that we overrate Bates a little because the failed Slowik experiment is fresh in our minds. But we don't want to lose a coach who has proven himself to be good for many years now.

well said...

honestly, i don't think Bates' accomplishments were perceived any differently because Slowick set the bar so low. it's definitely fair to say the defense overachieved under Bates. he's not the miracle worker some might portray him as, but it's very clear that he's completely capable and should be retained. unfortunatly, i think he'll be moving on...by choice of course.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Greg C. said:

well said...

honestly, i don't think Bates' accomplishments were perceived any differently because Slowick set the bar so low. it's definitely fair to say the defense overachieved under Bates. he's not the miracle worker some might portray him as, but it's very clear that he's completely capable and should be retained. unfortunatly, i think he'll be moving on...by choice of course.

thank you all so much for your well thought out answers. trying to learn here - knew i could count on all of you to help me out!

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a rather new (one year) GM in GB, Ted Thompson who had a Head coach who he did not hire and has juist now fired. And there is a new young head Coach Mike McCarthy who was just hired. It should be expected to have many changes in personel..I have observed the" changing of guard" here in Green Bay -13 times- since Founder, GM & HC Lambeau quit under fire in 1949. In most cases the new Packer GM/HC or in this case HC fired the staff of former HC ,as Vincent Lombardi did in 1959. It would is be" the exception to the rule"for the new coach to keep the whole defensive coaching staff, but as it has been said, the Packers have had 3 DCs in 3 years. Packer's defense doesn't need 4 for 4 if at all possible. Right now Packers need stability at Defense Co ordinator position. And Jim Bates is that man and Packer organization realizes this, it is Jim Bates' decision.

Members online

Latest posts