Alvis Has Left The Building....MLF Fires WR Coach

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see this more of a "things need changed and shook" than he was an utter failure as a coach. He had a lower than average WR room, and sadly when they were tossed into a bigger pool they sank rather than floated.

Just a sign the organization and MLF knows WR is a true issue.
maybe. the guy's coached two biletnikoff award winners.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If most of your WR talent consists of late round picks and UDFAs I would say our talent at that position has been woefully neglected over the last few years.
So, to tell if a player is talented all you need to do is check stats and draft position?

Scouting is easier than I thought.

D

Deleted member 6794

maybe. the guy's coached two biletnikoff award winners.

Whitted was wide receivers coach with Colorado State before joining the Packers. None of the receivers he coached ever won the Biletnikoff award.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, to tell if a player is talented all you need to do is check stats and draft position?

Scouting is easier than I thought.

But can you honestly say here that the overall talent at the WR position hasn't been neglected? The last time we took a WR in the second round was Davante in 2014.

superdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't heard a peep about a possible WR coach replacement, have you? No one is talking about this. The position has been vacant for a while. Donald Driver, please?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t even want to see a Coach hire with any personality traits on their resume associated with the word “Whitt”! No Wit. Not Witty!future tense, past tense (Whitted). Nothing period! :eek:

ps Also no Joe’s or Alvis’ !!

How about another good Englishman Smith? Or a good Irishman or Frenchman?

I've got a brother who is a half-wit. Is he disqualified?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do realize that a lot of your posts tend to point fault onto Rodgers? I have a feeling that if someone got sick eating a hot dog at Lambeau, you would try to spin it with "if they hadn't paid Rodgers so much, they could afford to sell better hotdogs".
No that would be RicFlair more so than Gary.

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't heard a peep about a possible WR coach replacement, have you? No one is talking about this. The position has been vacant for a while. Donald Driver, please?

MLF mentioned this week that the Packers will hire a wide receivers coach for this season. He didn't put any names out there though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was anybody really tickled pink?

Optimistic, probably. Thinking they're adequate, yes. But tickled pink? I don't think so.
Outside of Adams, almost everyone in that WR room was a project. Unfortunately, the project didn’t pan out. GMO faded, and the only bright spot other than Adams was, maybe, Lazard, and even that’s a reach. They need an established #2 behind Adams, and preferably a slot guy. And I don’t think bringing Cobb back is the answer. Maybe a FA and high round draft pick will help.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be fair to Pettine. I believe with each year our defense has improved. It's just that the first year we had lost several key players on IR. He's certainly done better in a short amount of time than Capers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. He just hadn't figured out what a weak link Martinez was.
Let's be fair to Pettine. I believe with each year our defense has improved. It's just that the first year we had lost several key players on IR. He's certainly done better in a short amount of time than Capers.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agree. He just hadn't figured out what a weak link Martinez was.

In all fairness to Pettine and Capers before him, I doubt either had a whole lot to do with the talent that was supplied to and they were expected to work with, that was TT and Gutes respective job. Basically, don't just automatically look at the Chef and only blame him if the food is bad. You must first look at who is shopping for and purchasing the ingredients and determine the quality of the initial ingredients provided to the Chef.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are right. I wasn't thinking. That is Gute's responsibility. But certainly Pettine should have some strong impact there.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be fair to Pettine. I believe with each year our defense has improved. It's just that the first year we had lost several key players on IR.
I don't think Pettine deserves a dismissal, at least not yet. The defense had a lot to do with our winning 13 games this year, the offense wasn't exactly tearing it up out there. Clearly they need improvement, but they seem to be heading in the right direction at least.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You guys are right. I wasn't thinking. That is Gute's responsibility. But certainly Pettine should have some strong impact there.
I doubt he has a lot of impact during the Draft process and maybe not much during Free Agency. Obviously, there are conversations between him MLF and Gute of "What do you need?" Followed by Pettine saying "I need a player that can......" I doubt Pettine is out there scouting college players or Free agents.

I don't think Pettine deserves a dismissal, at least not yet. The defense had a lot to do with our winning 13 games this year, the offense wasn't exactly tearing it up out there. Clearly they need improvement, but they seem to be heading in the right direction at least.
I agree. Pettine stepped into a pretty bad situation. Capers and TT had kind of let the defense go, so to speak. Hard to expect him to turn it around in 2 years and I think he showed ample progress last season to stick around. I will be interested to see how many of the original players that Pettine started with back in 2018 are around by the end of this season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pettine should be able to tell Gute what he thinks he needs and what he is or is not comfortable with. Their should be communication. He isn't a scout but he should know what he would like and does not like on his D. And give some parameters on what kind of ball player he is looking for to improve the D. And who does not fit what he is trying to accomplish.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pettine should be able to tell Gute what he thinks he needs and what he is or is not comfortable with. Their should be communication. He isn't a scout but he should know what he would like and does not like on his D. And give some parameters on what kind of ball player he is looking for to improve the D. And who does not fit what he is trying to accomplish.

I agree and I didn't mean to imply that there was no communication between Pettine and Gute. I can only guess how they work together and how much back and forth there is between them on players the Packers are looking at in Free Agency, the Draft and all other ways of acquiring players. I do believe though that ultimately it is Gute's job to know what Pettine's needs and desires are and then he goes out and does the best he can, with the resources he has, to fill them.

Would be interesting to know where Pettine is during the draft and if he and Gute communicate at all before a defensive player is picked.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you. What I’m looking for this year is a dramatically improved run defense. I think he’s neglected that to focus on the pass. And clearly, his degree of success will be based on the players Gluten can get him in FA and the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually Capers did a great job during his first two seasons with the Packers resulting in an elite defense being a major factor in winning the Super Bowl in 2010.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually Capers did a great job during his first two seasons with the Packers resulting in an elite defense being a major factor in winning the Super Bowl in 2010.
Who were the ILBs on that 2010 team? And yeah, they had a great D those two years.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts