Alot to prove

aristotle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I am still not over adding JG and letting Jordy go. Why can't this team add and not subtract?
I have zero confidence that MM knows how to utilize a TE. He never has.
Jordy is not washed up- Hundley couldn't see past Adams.

Letting Randall go and adding Tramon Williams is a step backward. They should have signed Malcolm Butler

Last chance for MM

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tramon Williams played better than Randall last season. So I am not sure how we subtracted there. Not quite an upgrade sure when you replace a younger serviceable player with an aging guy but there is still a draft and an entire offseason to figure things out in the secondary.

We haven't fully utilized a TE talent since Finley, however partially that is because Richard Rodgers has been the most healthy TE we have fielded in quite some time. Cook missed the preseason and a good portion of the regular season, but when he finally was able to see the field a few games he became a nice piece to the offense. I have no doubt that Graham will have a solid impact in our offense this season.

Jordy wasn't getting looks because he doesn't cause any separation from his defender anymore. Rodgers couldn't even find him until they reached the RZ and that is because they have a great connection and Rodgers trusts him in that area more than anyone separation or not. I will be surprised if he does well this season as Carr will have to put a lot of trust in his accuracy to get Nelson the ball.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was not seeing Jordy getting open. Maybe he kind of gave up but that does not sound like him.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I am still not over adding JG and letting Jordy go. Why can't this team add and not subtract?

Letting Randall go and adding Tramon Williams is a step backward. They should have signed Malcolm Butler

Last chance for MM

They added Wilkerson without subtracting anyone so that pokes a hole in your "Why can't this team add and not subtract" argument.

But I will support it as well because you forgot a rather big one. Added Pettine and subtracted Capers, and that's probably the biggest win of the offseason thus far.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Last chance for MM
So many issues with this post.

1. The Packers wouldn't have had the flexibility to sign Graham without Nelson.
2. At this point in time, Graham is better than Nelson.
3. MM has most certainly effectively utilized a tight end in the past.
4. Adams was the only pass catcher consistently gaining separation. He targeted Cobb and Nelson a combined 88 times. Don't make crap up.
5. As of the present, Williams is better than Randall.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm definitely not seeing it as drastically as the original poster in this thread but I have to admit that I hoped the Packers would have more improved entering the draft. Unfortunately cornerback, edge rusher and the starting wide receiver opposite Adams are currently huge question marks. It's possible for Gutekunst to address those issues before the start of the season but as of now I'm not impressed with the team's offseason.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's possible for Gutekunst to address those issues before the start of the season but as of now I'm not impressed with the team's offseason.
It had a nice start. Just getting rid of Capers should be a big plus. But next week is the draft so we'll see how that goes.

D

Deleted member 6794

It had a nice start. Just getting rid of Capers should be a big plus. But next week is the draft so we'll see how that goes.

The draft is always important but this year the first two picks could decide if the Packers enter this season as a legit Super Bowl contender.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft is always important but this year the first two picks could decide if the Packers enter this season as a legit Super Bowl contender.
I believe that we will need a draft the caliber of the Saints last year to feel good about our chances as a playoff team.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last chance for MM
Cap.......

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I sure as hell hope we aren't relying solely on the draft to put us over the top in order to have a successful 2018 season. If that is the case, teams like Philly and the Vikings are way ahead of us. I view the draft as improving the 2019 team and beyond.

I'm going to hope that we have a successful 2018 because of a few things that aren't draft related:
  • AR is back
  • Capers is gone and Pettine actually knows how to run a defense
  • Graham provides AR that big TE he needs
  • Wilkerson is true to his words and 2018 is a Pro Bowl year for him
  • 2nd year players Josh Jones, Aaron Jones and King all have great years
  • Matthews and Perry stay healthy and contribute
  • Clark and Martinez get even better
  • The OL isn't decimated by injuries
  • AR is back
  • AR stays healthy
  • Did I mention AR?
I hope we have a successful draft, but I think you have to get a bit lucky to find a rookie at #14 and beyond, that is a big impact player his first year. Yeah, Yeah, I saw what the Saints did. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe that we will need a draft the caliber of the Saints last year to feel good about our chances as a playoff team.

The Packers are a playoff team as long as Rodgers stays healthy. They need to improve the rest of the roster to be considered a legit Super Bowl contender though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers are a playoff team as long as Rodgers stays healthy. They need to improve the rest of the roster to be considered a legit Super Bowl contender though.

Agree. As long as Rodgers keeps playing at a high level, the Packers should be a playoff team. However, getting all the way to the Super Bowl, playing against the best teams during the playoffs, requires more than just Rodgers. The Packers need a defense that can keep them in games against the best offenses. Without a decent defense, we will probably just keep seeing more of what we saw against Atlanta in the NFCCG over a year ago.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't understand how anyone could feel comfortable with this assessment. We've won more than 10 games once in the past 5 seasons, which will get you by in a poor division, but that won't cut it with Minnesota.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just don't understand how anyone could feel comfortable with this assessment. We've won more than 10 games once in the past 5 seasons, which will get you by in a poor division, but that won't cut it with Minnesota.

If you toss out last year, when Rodgers missed most of the season, the Packers have been in the NFCCG 2 out of the previous 3 seasons, so I don't know how you discount what Captain or anyone is saying that with Rodgers and a better defense, the Packers are in the Super Bowl conversation.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you toss out last year, when Rodgers missed most of the season, the Packers have been in the NFCCG 2 out of the previous 3 seasons, so I don't know how you discount what Captain or anyone is saying that with Rodgers and a better defense, the Packers are in the Super Bowl conversation.
Rodgers has also missed significant time in 2 of the past 5 seasons, and was hurt in one of those NFC Championship games because he has had to carry this mediocre team for so long. Considering his age, the toughest schedule in the league, and the fact that there are at least 3 teams in the NFC with significantly better rosters and coaching, I'd say people are being far too optimistic.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers has also missed significant time in 2 of the past 5 seasons, and was hurt in one of those NFC Championship games because he has had to carry this mediocre team for so long. Considering his age, the toughest schedule in the league, and the fact that there are at least 3 teams in the NFC with significantly better rosters and coaching, I'd say people are being far too optimistic.

So we are in agreement that with a healthy Aaron Rodgers and an improved defense, a Super Bowl isn't out of the question? ;)

I do agree with you, that in comparison to some other teams, our roster from top to bottom is weaker. However, as we saw last year, Rodgers can be the difference maker. But again, he doesn't play defense, so without an improved defense, I think Packer players are always going to be eligible to be able to play in the Pro Bowl game.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm definitely not seeing it as drastically as the original poster in this thread but I have to admit that I hoped the Packers would have more improved entering the draft. Unfortunately cornerback, edge rusher and the starting wide receiver opposite Adams are currently huge question marks. It's possible for Gutekunst to address those issues before the start of the season but as of now I'm not impressed with the team's offseason.
we're on the same page here. it's been very meh. the D hasn't improved personnel wise either. the draft is the last hope and i think i'll puke if after it's all done i hear "we were in the conversation" in regards to being aggressive, and ending up not getting what they want.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers missed significant time in two of those seasons because of injury though.

the D hasn't improved personnel wise either. the draft is the last hope and i think i'll puke if after it's all done i hear "we were in the conversation" in regards to being aggressive, and ending up not getting what they want.

There are still free agents available that would improve the talent level on defense.

Members online

Latest posts