1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

AJ Hawk

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Rocky11, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Jules

Jules The Colts Fan

Ratings:
    +754
    Damn, he is not very popular here at all.

Gotta admit, not a big fan of his either.:p

2. 60six

60six DIE HARD

Ratings:
    +65
    Easy........Smith. He had 27 tackles and a pick in the 3 games he started. Give Bishop the headset and move on.

3. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +966
    I think a full offeason of OTA and training camps will tell the tale on this one. If Smith is better he will get the job.

4. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422
    I like DJ Smith he can tackle unlike a lot of players on our defense. But with his height and stature I think he's going to get eaten up in coverage, especially by the big receiving tight ends that are going to become more commonplace in the next couple years.

God I wish we had a Patrick Willis on our team.

5. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    And they wish they had A-ROD:D

6. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,187
    I think its likely Hawk's play will improve this coming season for a couple of reasons. First, because I think other starters on D will collectively play better (could hardly be worse) and second because we saw him play better in 2010 and he's got to know his job and reputation are on the line. I believe waiving or trading Hawk would result in a neutral cap situation - his 2012 salary about balances off his accelerated bonus give or take $300K or so either way if I remember correctly.

What I am really hoping for is an open competition between Hawk, DJ Smith and Francois. Each of the latter two outplayed Hawk last season IMO although both played limited snaps. Smith is short for the position, but he had one more INT than Hawk and only 2 fewer passes defended (Hawk had 0 INTs and 3 PDEFs). And at least he excelled at something. BTW, Francois had 2 INTs and 3 PDEFs and is listed at one inch taller and a little heavier than Hawk.

I don't know how the discussion went here but I remember Barnett getting criticized heavily by some Packers fans for over-running plays too often. It's a moot point now of course, just say'n…

7. realcaliforniacheese

Ratings:
    +966
    I think the real difference will be his new haircut. Less wind resistance. That and I remember seeing several blitzes in which Hawk would take the heat and Bishop would score the sack. Having that helmet also slows you a bit. If you go back and watch last seasons games he is sometimes just getting his head back around as the ball is being snapped. Coaches don't seem to have an issue with his play as of now, going to be an interesting off season, with all these young studs getting OTA's before camp. Should be some good competition in camp this year.

8. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Supposedly took a paycut

9. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    I wish we could omit the word "pay" from this report.

10. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,013
    I was one who thought we should've kept Barnett as well. Hawk will always be one of my favorite Buckeye bretheren but as a Packer in the pros he's average at best. He just doesn't make the impact game changing plays you need in the middle.

11. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,187
    I’m glad to see he took a pay cut and it isn’t just a restructure for cap purposes. At least that’s what jsonline is reporting.
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/198523791.html

I was disappointed in the deal Hawk was offered by the Packers in 2011. It’s one thing to draft him with the 5th pick and be disappointed when he doesn’t live up to those expectations. But to extend him as if he did or as if his draft position made any difference at that time didn’t make any sense to me. I hope its a very significant reduction.

The uncertain health status of Bishop and Smith and the likely loss of Jones were probably big factors in keeping him, along with the coaching staff's apparent love affair with him.

12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,555
    ...and the dead cap hit if they cut him. The original cap hit schedule for the prorated signing bonus in the previous contract stays in place regardless of any pay cut/renegotiation/extension.

He gets one more year, probably as a 2 down player.

13. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    I wanted Vernon Davis instead of Hawk. I didn't like the big money extension. I'm only for this "pay cut" if it is significant and if it is necessary in terms of the dead cap issue.