Ahman Carroll

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Still see a lot of Carroll bashing. Last I saw from him was that Thomas deserved to be ahead of him on chart and he accepted blame for his own play. Regarding his character and this crap about he likes to pick fights. I am faculty on University of Arkansas and saw him play here and he was covered by all local papers. I don't recall a single fight in college. I do know that Houston Nutt the Arkansas coach said Ahman was the first to be in the weight room every day, usually at 6 am before the coaches arrived. He was a 3 year starter in the SEC facing Florida, Tennessee, LSU, FSU and Georgia receivers that are in the NFL now. Yes he looked bad in some games last year but he was a rookie in a defensive scheme no one understood (look at some of Al Harris play, he was burnt plenty) and had to adjust to the new enforcement in the NFL that was very inconsistent and opposite of the way he played in college. I particularly think the new rule was a disadvantage for a lot of backs and that veteran receivers learned that if they slowed down and let the DB run into them they got a flag. Let's get off his back and give him a chance. He is a good guy and can contribute to our team if we don't crucify him like we did Terrel Buckley.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make a good point about not judging ANYONE on the defense after last year and the T-Buck treatment. However, at the same time, he did a lot to burn bridges during OTA w/ the Driver incident, not sticking around in the offseason, mouthing off to/ignoring Sherman, continuing old holding habits, etc.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vog...good post. I agree that he will improve by leaps and bounds this season. He needs to play a little more under control, but not lose his aggressiveness. I guess that's what they mean by controlled aggression.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I shouldn't be the one to talk because in an earlier thread, I called Mike Flanigan "Jim Flanigan" but it's Ahmad, man, Ahmad. :roll:

Anyway, I agree with you. Let's see if he can come around during his 2nd go around and hopefully he can win over some of his teammates and coaches.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Carroll has to grow up, period. If he does, he has all the ability to be a good corner. If he doesn't, I hope he wasn't foolish with his signing bonus money, because he won't be getting another contract without a serious attitude adjustment.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel: It's good to hear some testimony from someone from the University of Arkansas. Let's hope Carroll comes around. I don't remember anybody accusing him of liking to pick fights. There was just the one fight with Joey Thomas last season. Carroll was drafted ahead of where most people expected partly because he was considered to be a "high character" guy, and I hope he lives up to that billing.

You make a very good point about fans needing to get off his back. But I'm not sure if it will happen. When a cornerback gets a bad reputation among fans, it is very hard to shake, because even the best ones get burned frequently. I, for one, will try to ease up on the guy and let the chips fall where they may in training camp. Thanks for the perspective.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Buckley claimed he's own the interception record as a rookie, Carroll never made any bold claims like that.

Huge difference between the two.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that that system gives every D-player "an out" for last season.

Carroll's biggest test will be to stop holding, and change his game...as you pretty much said...

He's a first rounder...He's certainly going to get a solid chance.

Hopefully the cream will rise.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts