1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

AFC no longer the dominant conference

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by Greg C., Nov 5, 2007.

1. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    With all the talk we hear about the AFC's dominance over the NFC, at the halfway point of the season the AFC has won exactly one more game than the NFC has. And the NFC North is currently the third best division in football at six games over .500. Take a look at the standings:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/standings/

2. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Until Indy and NE come back to earth...the AFC is better than the NFC.

It is nice that some of the other good AFC teams are coming back down - Denver, SD, KC to name a few.

3. brennan1884

brennan1884 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

yah until the nfc wins the superbowl again.....id say the afc is a step ahead

4. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, they've got the two best teams in the league this year, and they've won the past four Super Bowls. But so far this year they are not dominant from top to bottom, as they were the past couple years. And the Super Bowl hasn't been played yet. Things are looking up for the NFC.

5. 4thand26

4thand26 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think that it was played last weekend in Indy.

6. spardo62

spardo62 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the AFC still has the top 2 teams by a large margin. Teams 3-8 feature 4 NFC and 2 AFC(GB, DAL, DET, NYG, PIT, TEN) and after that it seems pretty even.

So while the gap has definately closed this year, the NFC does not have a team of the caliber of NE or IND.

7. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed. 10 years from now, we won't remember all these stats about which conference won how many games. However, we will remember SB victories. SB victories are all that matters when comparing the conferences. One conference can have 1 good team and 15 bad ones, but if it wins the SB four years in a row, I'd say that conference has the best teams.

8. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    On any given day, one team can beat the other.
    I know.......I'm a "homer", but i'm STILL hoping we go to (and WIN) the SB!

9. DarkaneRules

DarkaneRules Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh the AFC still whoops the pants off the NFC, but the NFC is surely getting more competitive especially in the North :)

10. mike_donnelly

mike_donnelly Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    this past weekend was a perfect example of the change that has happened. 3 NFC North teams beat 3 AFC west teams. Last year's best and worst division's in NFL most would agree. And Raiders and Bears weren't even involved!

11. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No, the AFC does not whoop the pants off the NFC. They have only won one more game than the NFC this season.

12. DarkaneRules

DarkaneRules Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I was wondering when someone was going to argue that hasty comment I wrote. I was thinking about this thread the other day and thinking about the Steeler stats and I agree with the initial statement. Patriots are really on another plane as well as the Colts, but I know amongst the rest of the AFC that the NFC can and has proven to be highly competitive.