NFC Tackles
Rank Player Team Total Tackles Ast PDef
1 Brian Urlacher CHI 97 65.0 32 6
2 A.J. Hawk GB 95 62.0 33 4

Wow.

Blackjackking

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all Hawk is nowhere near the player Urlacher is. When he starts making game changing plays and gets double teamed on a consistence basis then you can mention his name in the same sentence.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never had much use for tackle stats, because players on bad defenses (like ours) have more opportunities for tackles, due to the fact that they are on the field for so many plays. Stilll, I think Hawk has a chance to be as good as Urlacher, or even better, within a year or two.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all Hawk is nowhere near the player Urlacher is. When he starts making game changing plays and gets double teamed on a consistence basis then you can mention his name in the same sentence.

Kill-joy

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Considering that Hawk is a rookie and Urlacher is the reigning Defensive Player of the Year these stats do tell a lot about AJ Hawk and the potential he has. Nobody is saying Hawk is better or even as good as Urlacher RIGHT NOW but Hawk certainly has the ability to become a game changer like Urlacher. In time I think Hawk will. He's already seeing double teams and he is getting recognized as the best player on the Defense next to Kampman. Hawk has been a successful pick and even objective Chicago Bear fans would admit as much. The one thing Urlacher has on Hawk is he makes the players around him better. I think it’ll take Hawk a few seasons to reach that point. Maybe in his 3rd year.

sbp_387

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Knowing hawk form wathing him all his years at ohio state hawk will be even better next year. He just needs some time and he will start to put up amazing stats... droolll...........

Packman5

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Hawk could be like Urlacher in a few years but he really needs to make some more big plays. He does a lot of little things and after the game your like wow i don't remember him getting 15 tackles but he needs to become more of a play maker. We have Barnett to do all the little things.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
That's insulting. AJ Hawk is his OWN man and player. He'll surpass Urslacker in due time!

PS, weak side LB is the glory LB, they get the stats.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's insulting. AJ Hawk is his OWN man and player. He'll surpass Urslacker in due time!

PS, weak side LB is the glory LB, they get the stats.

Hawk is a good player, but the only real similarity the players have is that they're white. Urlacher is bigger and faster and is a complete LB. Not saying Hawk cant be, but with being a bit slower, he'll never be the coverage LB that urlacher is. Also, Urlacher is in coverage most of the time as it is. His tackle stats would be much higher if the Bears didnt run a cover 2, which puts him alot further back than an MLB normally would be. Urlacher is a destined hall of famer. Hawk? Who knows.

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and just to give you guys some (Bear)perspective. It would be like if we started at thread comparing Rex and Favre because they have similar stats this year. Body of work quite obviously has alot to do with it.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not really.

urlacher isnt decreasing in talent, hes still near his peak(which is nice for bears fans) and Hawk as a rookie getting near those numbers is impressive.

Im sure a lot of young Qbs could get favre numbers(from this year)

BearPerspective

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not really.

urlacher isnt decreasing in talent, hes still near his peak(which is nice for bears fans) and Hawk as a rookie getting near those numbers is impressive.

Im sure a lot of young Qbs could get favre numbers(from this year)

Like I said, Hawk is looking good, but tackle numbers as others have mentioned, are really not that good an indicator of an LBs level of play. Especially considering your other "playmakers" (or lacktherof more correctly). Urlacher splits stats w/ Briggs, M. Brown, and about 4 other PRO BOWLERS. Also, Lance Briggs' stats are about the same as Urlachers minus the INTs. Perhaps you think he is the DPOY as well?
Also, the first post is missing some numbers from the stat line like INTs and FFs. You know the stats PLAYMAKERS make.

Good try tho. :thumbsup:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps you think he is the DPOY as well?

Good try tho. :thumbsup:

I love when stupid people put words in my mouth to try and help their point. Its happening a lot here lately.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Urlacher also shares his stats with Lance Briggs as well.
Briggs is 3rd in the NFC in tackles for LBs with 90 and has 7 passes defended.

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and just to give you guys some (Bear)perspective. It would be like if we started at thread comparing Rex and Favre because they have similar stats this year. Body of work quite obviously has alot to do with it.

Point taken, BP! Kinda "come back in a few years".

Gotta love Hawk though :thumbsup:

Chris

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk seems to have a nose for the ball. I think that the impact plays will come. Barnett is also a tackling machine, but IMO his tackles are not 'impressive'. By that, I mean that he doesn't seem to make impact tackles for losses. MOst of his tackles seem to be reactionary and not from attacking.

Of course, compared to Hodges effort on Alexanders 40+ attempts, I would say that anyones tackle stats look good.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Lord Bears fans get in a tizzy. No one is saying Hawk is as good as Urlacher. We are saying in time he may become urlacheresque and that he has THAT KIND OF POTENTIAL.

Btw, Urlacher splits stats with Briggs? So what? Hawk splits stats with Nick Barnett whom had 194 tackles last year. Mike Brown you say? How many weeks has he been out now? Urlacher also has the much better Dline in front of him as well as a much better D coordinator. and Zero, MLB is the stat linebacker not the WLB.

Btw I have to laugh at those who say Urlacher gets double teamed. No matter how big and strong and fast he is if he got double teamed his stats would be pretty low.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good Lord Bears fans get in a tizzy. No one is saying Hawk is as good as Urlacher. We are saying in time he may become urlacheresque and that he has THAT KIND OF POTENTIAL.

I am. Hawk>Urlacher. There. I said it. Go ahead, call me a homer. Can we change the thread title to " Brian Hawk?"

Latest posts