5 ways to beat the Steelers defense

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Five ways to attack the Steelers defense - NFL - CBSSports.com Football

Identify where safety Troy Polamalu is at all times

2. Don't be afraid to practice misdirection. The Steelers are so aggressive that they can overrun plays, which means they can be vulnerable to counters and bootlegs.

3. Don't try to block James Harrison or LaMarr Woodley with a tight end on the line. The Packers probably won't, anyway.

4. Look for the weak corner. In the AFC championship game the Steelers locked Ike Taylor on Santonio Holmes, and it worked reasonably well. My guess is that Taylor will cover Greg Jennings most, if not all, of Sunday's game. So find a way to beat Bryant McFadden and William Gay.

5. Attack the middle of the field. More specifically, attack safety Ryan Clark. He's a sitting duck when Polamalu moves close to the line of scrimmage.

more of the break down at the link

My thoughts..

#2-- We have done that in the past (Rodgers td run vs the Bears)
#3-- Lee might be able to chip those guys
#4-- Can Mcfadden and Gay cover Jones, Nelson/Driver?
#5-- Again, we do throw in the middle

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Go 5 wide, spread that defense out, then get the ball into the hands of a playmaker - maybe some play action, tight end, etc... You have a lot of weapons on offense, and damn near any one of them can take a 5 yard pass completion and make a TD out of it... If your offense gets on a roll, and Rodgers gains confidence after his first few successful completions, it'll end up being a long day for that Steelers D...

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. We need to spread the field on offense and hopefully throw on 3rd and shorts. No trying to run Starks parallel to the line to get around the corner. Their LBs are way to fast.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather stay 4 wide with Jackson as a blocker personally.

I hope James Jones realizes this is the game that will get him paid. Great matchup for him and the biggest stage. He could be SB MVP or have 0 catches.

I dont want Arod throws to hit 50 but I think 40x is something we should target.

Get up early and force the throw.

Dont let up MM! This isnt a team you want driving with 2 minutes left.

If Troy healthy? I keep hearing he isnt 100% but I think the 2 weeks of rest he had might change that.

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope James Jones realizes this is the game that will get him paid. Great matchup for him and the biggest stage. He could be SB MVP or have 0 catches.
And be hated by many for some time.

Make the Steelers suffer with capitalizing on take aways

That truly shouldn't be a problem, but add it anyway.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
I love when we have Steeler fans vs Patriot fans on here battling it out.

They are almost a divisional rival, feels like - we play them at least once a year, sometimes twice.

It's easier to call BS on fans when you know their team :D

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers biggest challenge will be Troy. You have to account for him at all times or he will end a drive on you. Rodgers needs to be able to keep it going when he does get on a roll, and a big part of that is keeping it away from #43. That is the key to the game.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Rodgers biggest challenge will be Troy. You have to account for him at all times or he will end a drive on you. Rodgers needs to be able to keep it going when he does get on a roll, and a big part of that is keeping it away from #43. That is the key to the game.

Match him up with a TE :)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts