49ers Scouting Report from a Niner fan...

OP
OP
Marvin49

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So how is he in the playoffs?

Obviously, there is no way to tell yet...but he has yet to get rattled On the National STage 3 times and winning IN NO and IN NE.

You never know until you are tested, but so far so good.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I really don't think collin kap is going to be a problem. He has only one legit win, vs NE whom they barely beat. Otherwise his brief resume does look all that stud like.

He beat Arizona and Miami ( wow, that was a tough task)
He lost to Seattle and St. Louis (got crushed by the seaCawks)

OP
OP
Marvin49

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think collin kap is going to be a problem. He has only one legit win, vs NE whom they barely beat. Otherwise his brief resume does look all that stud like.

He beat Arizona and Miami ( wow, that was a tough task)
He lost to Seattle and St. Louis (got crushed by the seaCawks)

"One Legit Win"

That stuff cracks me up. Please define a "Legit Win" compared to an illegitamate win. He's 5-2.

He beat the Bears handily on Monday Night in his first start. Yes, they had Cutler on the sideline, but he was dominating that Defense from the first snap against what was being billed as one of the best Ds in the league. He then went against NO in NO when the Saints were considered the hottest team in the NFL (had just won 5 of 6). He also went to NE and not only won in the elements, he threw 4 TDs. All of them were from beyond the 20 yard line.

Yes, he lost to St Louis (divisional foe that has the Niners number) and he lost to Seattle (much more on the D than on him).

Now I'm not trying to make it out like he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but come on...be fair. Give credit where its due.

Through his FIRST seven NFL starts he has a QB rating over 98. He has only turned the ball over 5 times. According to PFF (Pro Football Focus) he is the second best deep passer in the NFL. His 8.3 yards per attempt are best among starters in the NFL....and these are just his stats as a PASSER. I'm not even talking about the legs.

He is nowhere near Rodgers class right now. I'm not arguing that...but this isn't just some grand experiment. Kaep is both the present and future in SF.

EDIT: I looked it up...actually he is the BEST passer by Comp% of passes over 20 yards. Rodgers is number 2, tho I think he'd be #1 if not for the drops. Thats OK tho, I was never comparing them...I'm simply saying Kaep is better than peeps are giving him credit for.

1. Colin Kaepernick, 49ers
Attempts of 20-plus yards: 33
Completions: 19
Drops: 1
Accuracy percentage: 60.6

2. Aaron Rodgers, Packers
Attempts of 20-plus yards: 62
Completions: 26
Drops: 7
Accuracy percentage: 53.2

3. Peyton Manning, Broncos
Attempts of 20-plus yards: 72
Completions: 33
Drops: 5
Accuracy percentage: 52.8

4. Cam Newton, Panthers
Attempts of 20-plus yards: 63
Completions: 28
Accuracy percentage: 52.4

5. Robert Griffin III, Redskins
Attempts of 20-plus yards: 36
Completions: 16
Drops: 2
Accuracy percentage: 50.0

OP
OP
Marvin49

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess the smart money on comparing the 2 quarterbacks would be to look at their statistics in the playoffs. Here are Rodgers and I will keep looking for Kaepernick's. :D

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/aaron-rodgers/careerstats/299897?q=aaron-rodgers

SMDH.

As I said before...I'm NOT comparing the QBs (was this not clear?). Rodgers right now is FAR superior. What I'm saying is that Kaep isn't just a "grand experiment" as a previous poster suggested.

At least READ before trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

SMDH.

As I said before...I'm NOT comparing the QBs (was this not clear?). Rodgers right now is FAR superior. What I'm saying is that Kaep isn't just a "grand experiment" as a previous poster suggested.

At least READ before trying (unsuccessfully) to be funny.

I just got here, so it wasn`t me. Personally speaking, I BELIEVE whoever comes out on top in this game WILL go all the way.

H

HardRightEdge

How long is a QB on a "read option" play exposed to hits by a defender as compared to a QB traditionally handing off? With the success of QBs like Russell Wilson, RGIII, and Kaepernick running the read option I wonder if that play exposes them to injury more than just them running the ball. (The read option has the QB put the ball in the RB's gut but he hangs onto it as he reads a particular defender's reaction. The QB either lets go and the RB runs it or keeps the ball - pulls it back out of the RB's gut - and runs with it himself.) Certainly after a QB hands the ball off traditionally defenders can't hit him without incurring a penalty. But how about the read option QB? Just as a RB who is carrying out a fake can be hit - hammered - by a defender, shouldn't a QB running a read option be in the same situation for at least a step or two even after he completes the handoff? IMO the QB should be fair game on a read option play until he assumes a "drop-back position", or the RB has taken two or three steps. The NFL probably wouldn't agree because one of their highest priorities is protecting QBs. But certainly the QB is exposed during the "read" and IMO should be for a period thereafter beyond a QB tradionally handing off.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...carl-johnson-quarterback-protections/1644987/

"When a quarterback hands off and continues his fake, his only protection is normal unnecessary roughness rules...."

"If the quarterback on an option pitches the ball to a back, his only protection before or after the pitch is that provided under normal unnecessary roughness rules. He does not receive any of the special protections granted to a player who throws a forward pass while on the run. The back who receives the pitch does not have any special defenseless player protection."

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kaepernick is a hell of a talent.
Anyone here trying to discredit him for this being his first playoff start or for not having enough quality wins, is really doing a disservice to Packer fans.
Winning at New England and at New Orleans is quite impressive.

Rodgers has never won in either place FYI.

H

HardRightEdge

SMDH.

It's a grand experiment because Smith was playing at a high level when he was benched. It wasn't Smith that kept them out of the SB, it was the backup punt returner.

Kaepernick is an outstanding talent, but he's inexperienced. We'll see how he does in his first playoff appearance.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I too disagree with the “legitimate wins” idea. The 49ers are 5-2 with Kaepernick starting and although I didn’t watch each of those games I’m confident sayting each was a team win or loss. Kaepernick looks pretty damn good to me and the fact he took - and kept - Smith’s job is telling. Of course Rodgers is more experienced and the better QB but it’s not going to be a “QB on QB” contest. As I posted previously I think the key is the Packers’ OL and how well they can protect Rodgers. McCarthy can help control the 9ers rush with his play calling but it will be up to the OL to make it work.
"When a quarterback hands off and continues his fake, his only protection is normal unnecessary roughness rules...."
I don’t mean this specifically for this game but if I were a DC in the NFL and faced an offense which uses the read option, I’d instruct my players to hammer the QB, within the rules, on every read option and "pitch option" play, even if he hands the ball off or pitches it. If teams want to consistently use their QBs as RBs (as opposed to just scrambling when protection brakes down) I’d treat them as RBs. Beyond that, as far as I know any player on a running play who doesn’t have QB protection can be hit (as a potential blocker) so I'd have the defenders "run through" the QB/RB on the way toward the ball carrier, again within the rules. I’m surprised we haven’t seen more of that in the league this year and I’ll be even more surprised if we don’t see more of it next year.

H

HardRightEdge

I too disagree with the “legitimate wins” idea. The 49ers are 5-2 with Kaepernick starting and although I didn’t watch each of those games I’m confident sayting each was a team win or loss. Kaepernick looks pretty damn good to me and the fact he took - and kept - Smith’s job is telling. Of course Rodgers is more experienced and the better QB but it’s not going to be a “QB on QB” contest. As I posted previously I think the key is the Packers’ OL and how well they can protect Rodgers. McCarthy can help control the 9ers rush with his play calling but it will be up to the OL to make it work. I don’t mean this specifically for this game but if I were a DC in the NFL and faced an offense which uses the read option, I’d instruct my players to hammer the QB, within the rules, on every read option and "pitch option" play, even if he hands the ball off or pitches it. If teams want to consistently use their QBs as RBs (as opposed to just scrambling when protection brakes down) I’d treat them as RBs. Beyond that, as far as I know any player on a running play who doesn’t have QB protection can be hit (as a potential blocker) so I'd have the defenders "run through" the QB/RB on the way toward the ball carrier, again within the rules. I’m surprised we haven’t seen more of that in the league this year and I’ll be even more surprised if we don’t see more of it next year.

The read option and other option schemes with a QB run component will prove to be a fad...option schemes have come and gone over the history of football. This is particularly salient in today's NFL...the QB surrenders his special protections in these option schemes. Injury risk is high; wear and tear will be significant.

These option schemes are a way to put inexperienced QBs with running skills in a scheme familiar from college in which they can have some success immediately without having to learn all aspects of a full-function NFL offensive scheme. Over time defenses will adapt as you suggest, and the option QBs will need to develop into pocket passers.

Otherwise, we'll have to start questioning these QBs at age 29 the way TBs are questioned...the cumulative pounding will take it's toll. These QBs will get to their second contract at age 26...what kind of deal would you be willing to offer?

I agree with Ketchman, as linked in that earlier thread...if you're going to run an option scheme, you better have 2 option QBs.

Giedi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"One Legit Win"

That stuff cracks me up. Please define a "Legit Win" compared to an illegitamate win. He's 5-2.

He beat the Bears handily on Monday Night in his first start. Yes, they had Cutler on the sideline, but he was dominating that Defense from the first snap against what was being billed as one of the best Ds in the league. He then went against NO in NO when the Saints were considered the hottest team in the NFL (had just won 5 of 6). He also went to NE and not only won in the elements, he threw 4 TDs. All of them were from beyond the 20 yard line.

Yes, he lost to St Louis (divisional foe that has the Niners number) and he lost to Seattle (much more on the D than on him).

Now I'm not trying to make it out like he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but come on...be fair. Give credit where its due.

Through his FIRST seven NFL starts he has a QB rating over 98. He has only turned the ball over 5 times. According to PFF (Pro Football Focus) he is the second best deep passer in the NFL. His 8.3 yards per attempt are best among starters in the NFL....and these are just his stats as a PASSER. I'm not even talking about the legs.

He is nowhere near Rodgers class right now. I'm not arguing that...but this isn't just some grand experiment. Kaep is both the present and future in SF.

EDIT: I looked it up...actually he is the BEST passer by Comp% of passes over 20 yards. Rodgers is number 2, tho I think he'd be #1 if not for the drops. Thats OK tho, I was never comparing them...I'm simply saying Kaep is better than peeps are giving him credit for.

4. Cam Newton, Panthers

If he has one weakness - and I'm sure there are plenty. It would be his short passing game.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Kaepernick is a hell of a talent.
Anyone here trying to discredit him for this being his first playoff start or for not having enough quality wins, is really doing a disservice to Packer fans.
Winning at New England and at New Orleans is quite impressive.

Rodgers has never won in either place FYI.

well zaid Frank :rolleyes:

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
9'ers scouting report

Passing Game - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez.
Run Game - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez.
Pass Defense - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez.
Run Defense - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez AND Ryan Leaf.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here's a little quirk I heard on the radio that I "knew" but hadn't thought of until it was mentioned: We all know Rodgers grew up rooting for the 49ers. Kaepernick grew up in Milwaukee (or the Milwaukee area) and rooted for the Packers growing up.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
The 49ers are great team. This is going to be a tough game.

I'm confident we can win.

To all Niners fans, good luck this weekend.

OP
OP
Marvin49

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a grand experiment because Smith was playing at a high level when he was benched. It wasn't Smith that kept them out of the SB, it was the backup punt returner.

Kaepernick is an outstanding talent, but he's inexperienced. We'll see how he does in his first playoff appearance.

I'd submit that the punt returner never should have had to be back there receiving his 11th punt of the night, in overtime, on a rainy night in Candlestick. Alex and the offense had the ball FIVE TIMES at the end of the game and all they needed to do was score 3 points. They couldn't do it. Only 1 pass was completed to WRs that night for 3 yards.

Michael Crabtree has 7 100 yards games in his career and to people who don't watch the Niners every week he's been vied as a disappointment. THREE of those 7 100 yard games have come in the last 5 with Kaep at QB including 172 yards against the Cards.

I like Alex. I really do. He can't do what Kaep can tho. This team is SOOOOOO much more dangerous with Kaep behind center.

OP
OP
Marvin49

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
9'ers scouting report

Passing Game - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez.
Run Game - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez.
Pass Defense - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez.
Run Defense - Reminds me of Mark Sanchez AND Ryan Leaf.

You - In for rude awakening.

OP
OP
Marvin49

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a little quirk I heard on the radio that I "knew" but hadn't thought of until it was mentioned: We all know Rodgers grew up rooting for the 49ers. Kaepernick grew up in Milwaukee (or the Milwaukee area) and rooted for the Packers growing up.

Yes, this is true.

Colin is adopted (kinda funny looking at them...he's like a foot taller than his father and brother). His adopted family is from Wisconsin and moved to Cali so he is both a Packer and 49ers fan. Alot of his family is still in Wisconsin and are STILL Packer fans.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
"One Legit Win"

4. Cam Newton, Panthers

You can go ahead with your faux stats, they don't mean crap.
1 collin kap has not played an entire season
2 Arod has had his primary WR's out for a combined 12 weeks
3 fact: Collin kap does not even come close to being in the same catagory as Arod

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's why I currently HATE the 49ers.
LUCK.

Justin Smith is back... like we just got Woodson back. Not 100% but happy to have them back.

You ****** have everybody else healthy. ALL YOUR GOOD GUYS.
All your first round picks on the OL. All healthy. We have our 2011 & 2010 first round pick OT's on IR. Nice.

You have all your great LBers, Willis and Bowman, just fine healthy. Plus Ahmad Brooks, just fine.
We have our 2012 first round pick stud, OLB Nick Perry, out on IR. Nice.

Oh, we also have our only physical ILB, starter, Desmond Bishop, on IR since pre-season. Played zero snaps this year.
We also have his fine backup at ILB, DJ Smith, out on IR for the year. We're down to our #4 ILB who really is an OLB.

Oh, Alden and Justin are there this week too.... we have our 2nd round pick DL Jerel Worthy, just tore his ACL last week.

Oh, Frank Gore your starter, is healthy too?
We lost our starting RB Cedric Benson, another former 1st round pick who we were expecting big things from.

I know the Niners are missing their 3 & 4 WRs in Manningham and the fumbler. But we've had WRs miss more games than you have......

I'm tired of the injuries and would like to see San Fran go on without their last 3 first round picks, 2 OTs, their 2nd best OLB and 2 starting ILBers.

Losing Hunter, Kyle Williams, and Manningham was big for our offense because they played specific roles. We don't use a lot of 3 WR sets at all so its not because of that element. They both bbrought different elements to our offense and play-calling. When you have a QB like Rodgers, he can mask a lot of deficiencies offensively. Its harder on us, those injuries specifically because we're still finding our way as a offensive unit, with the QB change. Williams and MM had certain packages that they played in and played well. Hunter is better than James at this point. Better runner between the tackles and having patience and letting blocks develop. So from the outside looking in, it may seem like we're just missing some role players but their roles were significant in what we do. For a 4th WR, Williams was having a very good year. And despite his stature, was our best blocking WR outside of Crabtree. We miss that on those runs outside the tackles. All your WRs have retruned so its all good for you guys now. We're basically down to 3 WRs now because of course, Ginn doesn't count.

But its not about injuries really, its about team chemistry and consistency at this point and we've lacked in these two areas virtually the entire season. And its mostly come from the offesnive side of the ball. I don't even put the onus on the OC as most Niner fans have. Roman is part of a bigger issue. Its the whole OC by committee aproach that I think at times, has the offense dis-jointed and lacking a certain flow. JH has said he can veto any play-call and guys like Chryst have made calls in games before.This is a byproduct of his days at Stanford, where Roman would call the running plays and David Shaw was the passing coordinator. That type of committee approach may work at the college level but it just seems like a case of too many chefs in the kitchen this year.

We've lost our identity as a offensive team. Last year we were a physical, mauling offense in the trenches. Now we've slowly becoming a finesse team. We've drifted away from last year's mantra of protect the ball, time of possession, power-run team. Suddenly that wasn't good enough. And that was evident from the QB change. We wanted a more dynamic passing attack. Made a QB switch. Incoperated more "gadget/finesse" plays. More read option because of CK and spread looks to accommodate all these new weapons we have. We lost that smash-mouth mentality in the process. That phyiscalness we played with and put on display every game last year has been missing for extended periods of time this year, especially since CK has been the starter. That makes us more susceptible to getting out-physicaled, like we saw from the Giants and the 'Hawks. The Hawks did to us what we normally do to other teams. This offense has no real identity, even this late into the year. Most teams know who they are at this point. One drive, I think Chip Kelly is the OC. Next drive, it looks like its Marty Ball. There is no cohensive offensive flow to the play-calls....no identity to why we do, what we do, and when we do it. Its my biggest worry for this team, heading into our first playoff game.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We've lost our identity as a offensive team. Last year we were a physical, mauling offense in the trenches. Now we've slowly becoming a finesse team. We've drifted away from last year's mantra of protect the ball, time of possession, power-run team....... Its my biggest worry for this team, heading into our first playoff game.
Well, and conveniently, your guy Harbaw had an extra week to prepare for this game, and he will get back to that mauling, running offense.
But don't forget, it was Vernon Davis that was the catalyst last year scoring 2 touchdowns to beat the Giants in that NFC title game, and he also killed the Saints.

You had huge plays passing last year to him. That boy is a freak.

757Niner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, and conveniently, your guy Harbaw had an extra week to prepare for this game, and he will get back to that mauling, running offense.
But don't forget, it was Vernon Davis that was the catalyst last year scoring 2 touchdowns to beat the Giants in that NFC title game, and he also killed the Saints.

You had huge plays passing last year to him. That boy is a freak.

Last year is ancient history. VD had 61 targets on the whole year....61! He doesn't have the same repoire with CK as he did with Alex. And even before the QB change, teams were totally taking VD out of the offense, forcing Alex to go elsewhere with the ball. Defenses finally had enough and said ANYBODY but Vernon Davis is going to beat us. And they've stuck to that mindset. Its part of the reason Crabtree had the year he did. He basically just took the rest of VD's targets and production.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts