2024 3rd round #88 MarShawn Lloyd RB

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dillon doesn't have to be superior to Wilson, just Pearson and the 4th TE, whoever that turns out to be.

My guess is that (barring injury), GB will keep Musgrave, Kraft, Sims and Davis as their TE's. Pearson is probably cut.

Just my guess.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your criticism of Dillon last season was warranted. When he was drafted I think many were figuring Jones would be gone a couple of years sooner and Dillon would be his replacement. Dillon didn't pan out for that and Jones stuck around for longer than many expected. Now however, Dillon isn't looked upon to be the #1 back and your assessment is spot on. For relief duty and maybe an occasional start we could do a lot worse. IMO Wilson would be worse. I expect Lloyd to be the #2 guy probably fairly early in the season but I also expect Dillon to get plenty of opportunities to prove he is still valuable to the team, or perhaps more importantly to another team. Im optimistic that he will show he is. If nothing else he should have a fire under his butt.

I truly never expected Dillon to replace Jones as I see two very different backs HOWEVER, I agree I strongly think Dillon is healthier and more amped for this season than in the past. Truthfully be awesome to have a guy that wants to stay prove worthwhile at the RB 2/3 spot and FB/Hback TE spot and just sign a team friendly deal keeping him where he loves.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My guess is that (barring injury), GB will keep Musgrave, Kraft, Sims and Davis as their TE's. Pearson is probably cut.

Just my guess.

Two different position groupings there - Pearson is the FB/Hback TE none of those other four ever are that role.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no idea how good Lloyd will be. We're all guessing, and kind of hoping he's good. An awful lot of people felt that way about Dillon too, and oohed and aah ed about his huge calves. He was going to be the bull in the china shop, up the gut, who could get that short yardage. Sadly, people don't see that as what he still is, and always will be. He's not a deceptive runner with immense cuts, he's a runner who can see a small crack in the defense and get you that short yardage up the gut. Getting too carried away about his 2.7 YPG isn't quite fair, because he never gets the rock on downs where it isn't a short yardage situation, and if he does, it's because our most dynamic RB is off the field for one reason or another. Asking him to run the same players as a Jones, or Jacobs is only by necessity.

What you need to do is realize how most of his carries are when it's short yardage, and usually on 3rd down. His only purpose is to move the chains by getting that 2 yard pop, not break it to the end zone, when hitting the #1 or #2 hole. If he don't get the rock, it's usually because it's play action, and he's going to pick up a block, so the QB has more time to throw the ball.

Ask yourselves this. Would you rather have a guy who can get you that 1 to 2 yards on the tough downs, or a speed guy, whose real value is in open field running?

It's all a matter of trying to understand your offense, and what each player needs to be able to do to be part of the total package. Dillon could very well be an important part of this year's team, moving forward. I'm anxious to see what weight he comes into camp with. It would be nice if he had the weight that would make him a better match up for crashing linebackers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have no idea how good Lloyd will be. We're all guessing, and kind of hoping he's good. An awful lot of people felt that way about Dillon too, and oohed and aah ed about his huge calves. He was going to be the bull in the china shop, up the gut, who could get that short yardage. Sadly, people don't see that as what he still is, and always will be. He's not a deceptive runner with immense cuts, he's a runner who can see a small crack in the defense and get you that short yardage up the gut. Getting too carried away about his 2.7 YPG isn't quite fair, because he never gets the rock on downs where it isn't a short yardage situation, and if he does, it's because our most dynamic RB is off the field for one reason or another. Asking him to run the same players as a Jones, or Jacobs is only by necessity.

What you need to do is realize how most of his carries are when it's short yardage, and usually on 3rd down. His only purpose is to move the chains by getting that 2 yard pop, not break it to the end zone, when hitting the #1 or #2 hole. If he don't get the rock, it's usually because it's play action, and he's going to pick up a block, so the QB has more time to throw the ball.

Ask yourselves this. Would you rather have a guy who can get you that 1 to 2 yards on the tough downs, or a speed guy, whose real value is in open field running?

It's all a matter of trying to understand your offense, and what each player needs to be able to do to be part of the total package. Dillon could very well be an important part of this year's team, moving forward. I'm anxious to see what weight he comes into camp with. It would be nice if he had the weight that would make him a better match up for crashing linebackers.
Correct his YPG is also impacted due to he's never received brunt of the work....his yards per carry is quite good truthfully...and that is after last year which gave that figure a signficant hit.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick...upside is a bigger less likely to get beat up, Aaron Jones. Another weapon for J-Love

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the pick...upside is a bigger less likely to get beat up, Aaron Jones. Another weapon for J-Love
Yup and I put his floor at a Jamaal Williams type depth guy. Which is not shabby either. I mean this from a production point not that they are built the same.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two different position groupings there - Pearson is the FB/Hback TE none of those other four ever are that role.

Deguara was a TE in college, and he filled that role.

I'm guessing marginal TE's like Tyler Davis and Ben Sims greatly enhance their odds of making the 53 if one or both of them can do the same. Green Bay likes versatility in their players.

I'm not in the "It can't be done" camp myself.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deguara was a TE in college, and he filled that role.

I'm guessing marginal TE's like Tyler Davis and Ben Sims greatly enhance their odds of making the 53 if one or both of them can do the same. Green Bay likes versatility in their players.

I'm not in the "It can't be done" camp myself.

I’m not saying it cannot be done, I’m just saying MLF system doesn’t ask any of those types to do that. I actually think Sims is likely to be kept over Davis.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For information purposes, according to a reputable source out of GB, the Packers are planning on using Dillon in the role of a FB, as what I've pretty much been indicating for quite some time.

Reaction score
Strongly disagree. We don't have a single RB that knows and understands the system here other than him. He arguably is our best pass blocking RB on our roster as well. He also is the leading candidate to be more of a moving HBack TE type as well, which I was petitioning for last year and the staff in this off season have confirmed this is quite possibly the direction they plan on using him.

I am by no means saying I expect Dillon to be our second leading running back in production, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if he gets the second most snaps, especially early in the season even if those are more of a Deguara/ juszczyk type role.
I agree. The other key thing to add is we got him on the cheap. Those type contracts for a solid veteran presence are another reason he’s not going anywhere (edit didn’t see that mentioned until after o typed this so call it embellishing on your thoughts) He’s low risk medium high reward and really a perfect model player for Marshawn. We’ve got ourselves lots of options come February ball in GB

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Truthfully from all accounts Dillon is in better shape and feeling great compared to last couple years. I wouldn’t be shocked at all if we see him be the teams #2 but I expect it’s gonna be a Jacobs RB1 and Dillon and Lloyd by years end RB2a/b

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For information purposes, according to a reputable source out of GB, the Packers are planning on using Dillon in the role of a FB, as what I've pretty much been indicating for quite some time.

Yup, I remember getting a lot of push back to that concept when I breeched it even before last year. Few of you others have also seen that as a viable option.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yup, I remember getting a lot of push back to that concept when I breeched it even before last year. Few of you others have also seen that as a viable option.
I remember the discussion (I think it was here) that we would see AJ and Aaron Jones on the field together, MLF may have even hinted to it, but it never really transpired. Maybe with no Deguara, we will see it more often this season?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the discussion (I think it was here) that we would see AJ and Aaron Jones on the field together, MLF may have even hinted to it, but it never really transpired. Maybe with no Deguara, we will see it more often this season?
I think the biggest reason we didn't see this transition over a year ago is because of RB personnel. There was nobody who could step in and be the #2 RB, if Dillon spent a majority of his time as a FB.

What people need to do is study the depth charts, and relate it first, to how drafts will be conducted, then make judgements based on how the draft matches the understanding you got from the depth chart. For the Packers, it began with the signing of a free agent safety, and letting the majority of last year's safeties go, via free agency. It meant that there was a special need, and it needed to be addressed fairly early in the draft. The same thing applied to the offensive line. If you looked at the depth chart, which I put out in a link on site, you could see there was a serious shortage of offensive linemen. Using Walker at Lt was by some people's standards, a good idea, but I'm not going to go quite that far. He was the best option based on available personnel last year, but I think Morgan would be a step up. That would free Walker to compete at right tackle, where I think he could be a better fit. It could be musical chairs on the offensive line, and I think Monk was brought in to challenge Myers at center, and could possibly win the job during the preseason, but don't count on it. I think he needs some time to build strength, and learn to lower his center of gravity on his blocks.

Last year, the Packers weren't in a position to fill roles in areas they could this year, because they needed to upgrade the offensive arsenal. I think the addition of Jacobs, whom I believe is actually better than Jones, along with drafting a solid RB, has given the Packers offense the opportunity of freeing up the services of Dillon to use him where he'll be most effective.

Anyhow, that's my opinion.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the biggest reason we didn't see this transition over a year ago is because of RB personnel. There was nobody who could step in and be the #2 RB, if Dillon spent a majority of his time as a FB.
Agree but I think injuries and availability had something to do with it as well. I should look it up, but I would guess that Jones and Dillon were both available at the same time, for maybe half the games? Jones I think only played in 2 of the first 6 games and Dillon barely played the last month and a half of the season.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right, that is the 2024 cap hit under the veterans contract he is under, IF he is on the 53 man roster. However, the only guaranteed money is the $167.5K signing bonus. So if the Packers cut him, they save on 2 things. First, the additional $1.125M that would otherwise count against the 2024 Cap. Second, the additional $2.407M of his contract that they would owe him, if he is on the roster.

So yes, the Packers could save cap money as well as organization money, by cutting AJ before the final 53. I'm not saying that they will or they won't, but I am saying is that I can see a situation where it's plausible and I think why they structure his deal the way that they did. I would say the same scenario could happen to Josh Myers, cutting/trading him could possibly be on the table.
Wouldn't you have to factor in the salary of the player who makes the 53 instead of him when calculating the savings?

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I know it's a little off topic on the current conversation going right now, but MarShawn Lloyd and Michael Pratt will be 2 of the 40 draftees attending the NFL Players Rookie Premiere.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I also have decent intel that if Dillon shows out that he can be more of a flex type piece, he has a strong desire to sign a multi-year team friendly deal. He has never hidden the fact he loves GB and wants to be here long term. Now what exactly does that look like - who knows. But if he is serviceable to solid as a back up this year and will be that veteran RB3/FB1 type guy lock him in at like four years $6M with say $4M guaranteed. Low, consistent and you have an above average guy....

Is Dillon a good enough blocker to be FB1? He never struck me as a very physical guy despite his size

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I know it's a little off topic on the current conversation going right now, but MarShawn Lloyd and Michael Pratt will be 2 of the 40 draftees attending the NFL Players Rookie Premiere.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Interesting, only two defensive players and our 7th round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fair enough. That begs the question. Are Wilson, Pearson, Sims or Davis on guaranteed contracts?
I do understand what you are pointing out. If you trade/cut a player, someone else will take his place on the roster and that someone could come at a new cost or an old fixed cost. Thus, the "savings" of cutting said player isn't always 100% of what was due to that player. Might be a practice squad guy, might be a guy off of waivers, etc. So sometimes it is hard to determine that cost/savings of cutting/retaining said player.

The only thing we can say with some certainty is that the cost of keeping/trading/cutting Dillon, might be factored into the decision about his future this season in Green Bay.