2024 3rd round #88 MarShawn Lloyd RB

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except John Brockington was a great back. He made something of nothing with a non existent GB passing attack and in general a crappy team.

He did have MacArthur Lane to block for him, but sadly little else.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
It appears Green Bay got good value in the Lloyd pick. I hope it works out that way.
Yeah. We could really use a shot in the arm by a 2023-2024 Draft pick rising. Such as Karl Brooks or Lloyd or Wicks or Lukas Van Ness etc. Somebody who just plays to a level that surprises us.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yeah. We could really use a shot in the arm by a 2023-2024 Draft pick rising. Such as Karl Brooks or Lloyd or Wicks or Lukas Van Ness etc. Somebody who just plays to a level that surprises us.
I will take the rising of all 4+49 more for the Superbowl Win!

I can honestly say that this is a team that I expect to be a lot better than the team we saw last season. I don't remember saying that over the last 10 or so seasons.

Kind of fun having a young team, with a young QB on the rise.

Reaction score
I will take the rising of all 4+49 more for the Superbowl Win!

I can honestly say that this is a team that I expect to be a lot better than the team we saw last season. I don't remember saying that over the last 10 or so seasons.

Kind of fun having a young team, with a young QB on the rise.
Absolutely. The Packers were one of (if not THE) youngest teams to Win a Playoff contest in the Superbowl era. They had 1st/2nd year starters littering the Field on their Offense. Success at a young age or early success to experience level has almost always been indicative of future growth or increased success rates. Being the youngest team last year and bringing back almost all of the key components in those situations almost always results in positive results as a group going forward.

Add to that
1. One of the more experienced Draft classes to fuel a “Win Now” concept.
2. Positions that can typically contribute early (LB,RB) being selected multiple times in Day2 (#41,#88,#91)
3. Then tripling down at Safety and OL past the other FA acquisitions we already had.

This all spells a higher injection of competition at multiple positions than we have in many years.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like MarShawn is really turning heads at the mini-camps. Let's hope he stays healthy, keeps progressing and gives us solid 1-2-3 punch at RB.

Green Bay releases Aaron Jones, easily their best running back over the last several seasons, and yet somehow their running back room could actually be better, stronger, deeper.

Who would have guessed that?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jacobs arguably is = to Aaron Jones
2024 Aj Dillon > 2023 AJ Dillon (he has claimed his health and body are much better...and body wise he is slimmer for sure)

Lloyd is now here.
Emanuel Wilson is now in year 2 and not just trying to stay afloat

The RB room absolutely got better...which is ABSOLUTELY no shade to Aaron Jones, that man is a killer and a freaking BEAST.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Green Bay releases Aaron Jones, easily their best running back over the last several seasons, and yet somehow their running back room could actually be better, stronger, deeper.

Who would have guessed that?
Was tough to see Jones walk away, but better too early than too late.

Was expensive to sign Josh Jacobs, but hopefully worth it. I am excited to see both him and MarShawn in action. It also sounds like Dillon has come back more svelte and ready to rumble.

We could possibly be seeing the best 1-2-3 punch out of the backfield that the Packers have had in...forever.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was expensive to sign Josh Jacobs, but hopefully worth it. I am excited to see both him and MarShawn in action. It also sounds like Dillon has come back more svelte and ready to rumble.

We could possibly be seeing the best 1-2-3 punch out of the backfield that the Packers have had in...forever.

I truthfully believe that you could likely add a 4 as well. I'm telling you if somehow we can keep Wilson here as our 4th in any capacity, if that means we keep 4 RBs and Dillon is more that TE3/HBack type or we keep 3 and Wilson is on PS I would argue till I'm blue in the face that we for sure have the best 1-4 punch in my short life (38 years).

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Dillon is like a security blanket. He is there when you need him. He does his job and is reliable. I agree that he is not a #1 back. Glad he stayed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me Dillon is like a security blanket. He is there when you need him. He does his job and is reliable. I agree that he is not a #1 back. Glad he stayed.

Make no mistake our backfield usage snap wise at first will for sure go Jacobs / Dillon / Lloyd....but I think anyone is kidding themselves if they say they'd be shocked it stays that way. I view Dillon and Lloyd in two very different ways personally...but I still to this day as I have for over a year now argue building Dillon into GB's version of Juszczyk (but more run attempts).

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Taylor-Hornung-Pitts was pretty good too.

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think last year's draft class - as a group, with only a couple of individual exceptions - did exactly that last season. We really got 2 years worth of drafts last year. If the majority of them just show a normal 1st-2nd year progression this season, we're still way ahead of the game, but I think it's quite likely that several will do exactly as you suggest - and I think the ones you mentioned are very likely candidates.

Sounds like Edge Cooper would be a good fit on that list, too.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Lloyd improves massively as a pass blocker, he’s not getting more than 2-5 touches a game. I’m excited for him as a runner but we won’t see any of that until he’s made significant strides as a pass blocker.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless Lloyd improves massively as a pass blocker, he’s not getting more than 2-5 touches a game. I’m excited for him as a runner but we won’t see any of that until he’s made significant strides as a pass blocker.

He came from USC who threw a TON. He is not a refined blocker but he was one of the better ones in this draft IMO

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He came from USC who threw a TON. He is not a refined blocker but he was one of the better ones in this draft IMO
I'm going to take your word for it, since I know that you do your research.

We hear this a lot about RB's coming out of college, "they can't block". Now I am not familiar with every NCAA program, but it seems that star running backs in college aren't necessarily asked to do a lot of blocking at that level. So to say "they can't block" really isn't the full story. Maybe a statement of "they aren't a proven pass blocker" is being more honest. If that is the case with Lloyd, he will probably get a lot of work on picking up blitzes and when to stay home to pass block. Nothing too new for rookie RB's.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going to take your word for it, since I know that you do your research.

We hear this a lot about RB's coming out of college, "they can't block". Now I am not familiar with every NCAA program, but it seems that star running backs in college aren't necessarily asked to do a lot of blocking at that level. So to say "they can't block" really isn't the full story. Maybe a statement of "they aren't a proven pass blocker" is being more honest. If that is the case with Lloyd, he will probably get a lot of work on picking up blitzes and when to stay home to pass block. Nothing too new for rookie RB's.
For sure, he’s not a refined NFL blocker but I’d say he is coming in more refined than Jones was as a rook and better also than Dillon at it when he was a rook too.

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
I myself would believe that if Lloyd is only getting 2-5 touches per game, it will be because of ball security issues more so than pass blocking issues.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure, he’s not a refined NFL blocker but I’d say he is coming in more refined than Jones was as a rook and better also than Dillon at it when he was a rook too.
(Putting on my extra draft green and gold goggles) Caleb Williams success was mostly due to having Lloyd block, effectively run, and his receiving skills! I hate to root for players to fail, but when they are Bears . . . It almost feels appropriate.

In the limited views we have seen, Lloyd looks similar to Jacobs in terms of speed, quickness and elusiveness. Which is great news for both players. Jacobs down year wasn't a result of a physical issue, or at least if an injury slowed him, he is over it. Lloyd has the skills of someone who was perhaps the best RB in the NFL.

But I am really excited about AJ Dillion. First he is just a great person. Secondly, he looked completely different this year. He is in the best shape since becoming a Packer, he looks lean. He really looked quicker and faster in the drills. Last season there were a dozen(ish) plays that I thought, if AJ was a 1/4 step quicker, he could have broken into the secondary. And when AJ is moving into the secondary, those DBs are going to take a beating.

We are going to have a very effective run game this season.

Reaction score
I agree with all these points. We have had some good 1-2 punched at RB, but it was most often short lived.

Aaron Jones n Jamaal Williams
Eddie Lacy n Starks n Kuhn
Green n Davenport
Green n Levins n Henderson
Levins n Bennett

We’re talking 5-6 good pairs there when in their prime. We need to nearly go back 35-40 years to find them though. The difference here is we could very well have the deepest RB room in 50+ years.

We now have RB’s who were drafted in Rd1,RD2,RD3 all simultaneously. Any of which could more than fulfill their respective draft expectations. Dillon could come back into 2022 form. Jacobs could get into a 2022 feel. Lloyd could cause some problems for Defenses if underestimated. The RB position is one position that can excel rather quickly in comparison to many other skill areas. We saw examples with Rookie Lacy and Rookie Jamaal and Jacobs etc.

As I’ve said before there is a very realistic chance we could have a good 3-4 year overlap of Jacobs and Lloyd. Plus as I’ve mentioned this RB room is thick. All 4 RB’s Weighing between 220lb and 245lb and thick. When January comes around that becomes a significant factor, especially in less than ideal weather conditions. You can really ground and pound and with those RB options, opposing DC’s really can’t ignore it unless they want to suffer a slow bleed. Our 4th string RB has a promising 26 carries at 4.5 per. Our oldest is 26yrs and still in his prime and has already led the NFL in Rushing once.

Last edited:

Thirteen Below

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Sports Illustrated, he wasn't called upon often at USC - 85 times in 3 years, with 32 of them last season. He may have been just hitting his peak at that point, though, because he was used as a pass blocker 13 times in his final game.

Reaction score
According to Sports Illustrated, he wasn't called upon often at USC - 85 times in 3 years, with 32 of them last season. He may have been just hitting his peak at that point, though, because he was used as a pass blocker 13 times in his final game.
Another comparison to TWO exceptional NFL RB’s who have translated well from College in the NFL Passing game.

-Aaron Jones came out of CUSA averaging a very respected 9.1 yards per reception (71) and 7 TD’s

-Dalvin Cook came out of the ACC averaging a big time 11.8 yards per reception (78) and 2TD’s for Florida State.

-Marshawn Lloyd came out of both the SEC and PAC-12 (2 of arguably the Top Conferences in Football).
In the SEC he averaged 10.5 yards per reception and scored 2 TD on 21 attempts (similar to Aaron Jones strike rate but in a better Conference)
In the PAC-12 he averaged 17.8 yards per reception (13) for a combined, Massive 13.3 yards per reception (34).

Clipping at just shy of 18 yards per catch last season displays his big play ability. That would be a near-elite clip for a WR. For a RB it’s Elite+

What that spells for myself is he’s a big play waiting to happen. When he’s allowed to get in space? he can punish you because he’s shifty in space and has a low center. He’s hard to get a bead on him and even harder to tackle. Now I’ve been saying Dillon has a similar feel in space. Difference being Dillon doesn’t have home run ability when he breaks a tackle he rumbles for another 3-5 maybe 10 yards. Marshawn can put it in overdrive with a 4.46 long speed (90.3%percentile). puts you from squaring up for a tackle and instead your trying to catch him in a foot race down the sideline trying to prevent a TD. Now if you’re fast enough as in that Sub-4.45 40 time needed to properly pursue Marshawn.. you likely have a size disadvantage when you catch up. Best be prepared for a close encounter when catching him. He benches 225lb. for a smooth 25 reps which is (93.6%percentile).

Last edited: