2022 Draft Directions Discussed

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows I "mildly live" for all things draft related. From building my own boards, opinions and lots of mocks.....but the 2022 Draft specifically intrigues me perhaps the most, it is like an amped up 2021 draft. So many question marks exist before the organization from serious cap issues to the Aaron Rodgers issue still very likely to be addressed one way or another this off season. So in a hypothetical exercise essentially we see a few things heading into the draft.....which while things won't change the big boards Gute and company holds, it most definitely could change the positions needing to be targeted or addressed to the point of two equally ranked guys essentially and picking between them.

Scenario #1 - We work things out with Rodgers, we make some hard cuts and contract re-workings to make the cap work and roll...
In this scenario Love may even be gone as a way to signal to Rodgers yes, let's ride this into the sunset together. If we do this personally I'm hitting the draft almost purely with a best player available approach and don't feel pressed to lean towards a position group or side of the ball. That said, this scenario has a MASSIVE question mark in does this mean somehow we pull off keeping Davante around? If no, I personally am strongly looking to offensive skill positions (WR/TE) early and very well could be 2 of my first 3 picks. Adams is a role in this offensive that will not just be easily absorbed, finding a true blue stud WR in the draft would go a long way to make this possible.

Scenario #2 - The end of the Rodgers era occurs...Adams walks too...cap cuts occur and we enter the attempted "rebuild/regroup" with Love era...
In this scenario, personally I'm hoping to build a top 10 defense as my main goal. Excellent defenses can and have still proven to keep teams in the hunt despite a young QB going through growing pains. It could keep us out of plummetting to the bottom of the league though which might make it harder to replace Love should he illustrate not being the future - but that is a roll of the dice I'm willing to take. With excellent DBs on roster, I want to flood the front 7 defensive rooms with young and skilled hopeful studs. DL, EDGE and ILBs take my leanings at picks. We have an excellent core young group of OL, so nothing needs forced there either this draft. I still argue you don't ignore BPA, but need IMO in this scenario perhaps deserves a little more weight in decisions than I'd regularly do myself. The one good thing is if the Rodgers era ends, most likely some draft equity is coming back our way....so a weapon or two mixed in for Love isn't out of the option as well depending on draft equity return.

Either way...hopefully we watch the SB clock tick to zero and we are all smiling and celebrating....but once days become weeks - there is a lot of news and decisions set to come out of Green Bay, and for us fans it's going to be NUTS.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of this. If AR stays he'll need another Wr or TE stud (or both?) to throw to. I don't see any way Gute can extend both AR & Adams.
If AR is gone the D needs significant bolstering to give Love a shot at winning lower scoring games. We've seen how little D-line impacts games when Clark is out, so another high-end DT is necessary to help Clark. Cap-wise, another OLB as well as ILB should be high priorities.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prior to any off-season moves I'll chime in with what I think the draft priorities should be, in order of urgency. WR, DT, ILB, TE, OLB, S, WR, DE, CB. In that mix of WR & CB one of them should have return ability & experience.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Prior to any off-season moves I'll chime in with what I think the draft priorities should be, in order of urgency. WR, DT, ILB, TE, OLB, S, WR, DE, CB. In that mix of WR & CB one of them should have return ability & experience.
I recall several safeties as punt returners also. Micah Hyde and Mike Prior stand out in my memory banks.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I recall several safeties as punt returners also. Micah Hyde and Mike Prior stand out in my memory banks.
Darren Sharper as well at one time. Ran one back for a touchdown if I remember correctly.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Darren Sharper as well at one time. Ran one back for a touchdown if I remember correctly.
I recall him laying out a Viking(?) TE on a fake punt. The guy was more worried about getting caught from behind and forgot to look where he was going. Fumbled and helped off the field.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone knows I "mildly live" for all things draft related. From building my own boards, opinions and lots of mocks.....but the 2022 Draft specifically intrigues me perhaps the most, it is like an amped up 2021 draft. So many question marks exist before the organization from serious cap issues to the Aaron Rodgers issue still very likely to be addressed one way or another this off season. So in a hypothetical exercise essentially we see a few things heading into the draft.....which while things won't change the big boards Gute and company holds, it most definitely could change the positions needing to be targeted or addressed to the point of two equally ranked guys essentially and picking between them.

Scenario #1 - We work things out with Rodgers, we make some hard cuts and contract re-workings to make the cap work and roll...
In this scenario Love may even be gone as a way to signal to Rodgers yes, let's ride this into the sunset together. If we do this personally I'm hitting the draft almost purely with a best player available approach and don't feel pressed to lean towards a position group or side of the ball. That said, this scenario has a MASSIVE question mark in does this mean somehow we pull off keeping Davante around? If no, I personally am strongly looking to offensive skill positions (WR/TE) early and very well could be 2 of my first 3 picks. Adams is a role in this offensive that will not just be easily absorbed, finding a true blue stud WR in the draft would go a long way to make this possible.

Scenario #2 - The end of the Rodgers era occurs...Adams walks too...cap cuts occur and we enter the attempted "rebuild/regroup" with Love era...
In this scenario, personally I'm hoping to build a top 10 defense as my main goal. Excellent defenses can and have still proven to keep teams in the hunt despite a young QB going through growing pains. It could keep us out of plummetting to the bottom of the league though which might make it harder to replace Love should he illustrate not being the future - but that is a roll of the dice I'm willing to take. With excellent DBs on roster, I want to flood the front 7 defensive rooms with young and skilled hopeful studs. DL, EDGE and ILBs take my leanings at picks. We have an excellent core young group of OL, so nothing needs forced there either this draft. I still argue you don't ignore BPA, but need IMO in this scenario perhaps deserves a little more weight in decisions than I'd regularly do myself. The one good thing is if the Rodgers era ends, most likely some draft equity is coming back our way....so a weapon or two mixed in for Love isn't out of the option as well depending on draft equity return.

Either way...hopefully we watch the SB clock tick to zero and we are all smiling and celebrating....but once days become weeks - there is a lot of news and decisions set to come out of Green Bay, and for us fans it's going to be NUTS.

I agree with almost everything. In scenario 2 I would also invest in at least 1 safety. The kid from Maryland *it's 1 a.m. and having a massive brain fart on his name* either went into a slump or forgot how to play starting in November.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either scenario: Packers are going to either draft an offensive lineman (Gute loves oline) or an edge rusher. Packers only have Rashan Gary at edge rusher past 2022 and I'm pretty sure the front office knows this. While a WR in the first round would also be nice in either scenario, I think it would be especially valuable if Rodgers/Adams leaves because then Gute's golden child (Love) is going to be forced to head a passing attack featuring Lazard as his #1 receiver (that's not going to make his pick look real smart). Gute doesn't value receivers like he values dline and oline though so, again, my money is on an edge rusher to replace whichever of the Smiths the Packers keep in 2022.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think if Rasul isn’t back and the right CB is there we will grab one of those too

Reaction score
Either scenario: Packers are going to either draft an offensive lineman (Gute loves oline) or an edge rusher. Packers only have Rashan Gary at edge rusher past 2022 and I'm pretty sure the front office knows this. While a WR in the first round would also be nice in either scenario, I think it would be especially valuable if Rodgers/Adams leaves because then Gute's golden child (Love) is going to be forced to head a passing attack featuring Lazard as his #1 receiver (that's not going to make his pick look real smart). Gute doesn't value receivers like he values dline and oline though so, again, my money is on an edge rusher to replace whichever of the Smiths the Packers keep in 2022.
I could see going the best of DL or OL with our 1st selection. I really think having an upgrade next to Kenny would pay dividends in thwarting opponents Run game
Ideally:
Day 1 DT
Round 2 OL
I really feel like we are 1 more OL away from making a significant stride in both pass protection and the Running game. If we hit on another Elgton type? all bets are off. We’d see a dramatic shift forward in our rushing attack.

Round 3 Edge
A possible trade up if needed here isn’t as hurtful from a draft resource standpoint and there should be some gems in that top #65-90 overall segment

Round 4 WR
Rd 4 CB (Linsley Comp)
Round 5 Safety
Round 6 WR/KR

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see going the best of DL or OL with our 1st selection. I really think having an upgrade next to Kenny would pay dividends in thwarting opponents Run game
Ideally:
Day 1 DT
Round 2 OL
I really feel like we are 1 more OL away from making a significant stride in both pass protection and the Running game. If we hit on another Elgton type? all bets are off. We’d see a dramatic shift forward in our rushing attack.

Round 3 Edge
A possible trade up if needed here isn’t as hurtful from a draft resource standpoint and there should be some gems in that top #65-90 overall segment

Round 4 WR
Rd 4 CB (Linsley Comp)
Round 5 Safety
Round 6 WR/KR

Gute has drafted AND signed an olineman every year he's been here and he's drafted 3 oline in each of the last 2 drafts, so yeah, he's going oline and I would certainly expect it to be early. I would love to get another dlineman to help Clark (the current guys are below average) but there's only one interior guy worthy of the first round (imo) in Devonte Wyatt and I don't see him falling to the Packers. People seem to love Jordan Davis but run-stuffers aren't worth day one or two picks and whatever teams wastes a first on that guy is going to regret it. There are a couple of edge rushers I could see falling to the Packer's range in round one (Ojabo and Johnson) and I would expect the Packers to go after either of those two if they're there.

I could also see the Packers continuing to stock corners if Pitre or Elam are there. Pitre would slide right into the slot corner role while Elam has the upside to become a Pro-Bowl corner with good coaching.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers offensive line performed at a pretty decent level while the unit suffered a lot of injuries last season.

Therefore I definitely don't feel the need to spend a first rounder on the position.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
They won't draft for perceived needs. Draft the best available talent that fits the intangibles possessed to be incorporated within the team's culture.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They won't draft for perceived needs. Draft the best available talent that fits the intangibles possessed to be incorporated within the team's culture.

Which is why I believe the board will shift out to us taking a Defender really of any position except off ball linebacker as much as I love two of them.

I actually think if we don’t trade Rodgers for ton of draft picks strong likelihood of trading back by Gute this year i feel

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there are more than enough "perceived needs" (DL, WR, OLB, S, CB) that Gute will be able to draft BPA w/ the top 4 picks and justify it being a need.

D

Deleted member 6794

As always, I expect the Packers to draft the prospect presenting the best value to them with position of need factoring into the decision.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With AR & Davante (most likely) in the fold thru 2024 here are my draft priorities:
DL, WR, OLB, ILB, TE, CB/S.

Don't need to draft a K or P but those as well as a LS need to be in place for OTA's to gel & bond.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With AR & Davante (most likely) in the fold thru 2024 here are my draft priorities:

Don't need to draft a K or P but those as well as a LS need to be in place for OTA's to gel & bond.

IMO they need to find that starter along the front 5 a DL or Edge or DL/EDGE hybrid to bolster either help for clark or fill the #3 Edge role. A lot of this could depend on whether we see Lowry or Preston as cap casualties. I'd love a WR in round 2 or 3 depending how the draft is falling or get a SOLID TE since we most likely have Davante back, Cobb will rework to stay and Lazard will be here...swing on an early Day 3 WR and fill more pressing immediate needs may be the way.

In the end I expect Gute though to follow his board and truly give more weight (not all) on BPA and as much as possible on need too.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I like this. Depending on the cuts, I was going DL, WR, ILB, OLB, CB and TE.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO they need to find that starter along the front 5 a DL or Edge or DL/EDGE hybrid to bolster either help for clark or fill the #3 Edge role. A lot of this could depend on whether we see Lowry or Preston as cap casualties. I'd love a WR in round 2 or 3 depending how the draft is falling or get a SOLID TE since we most likely have Davante back, Cobb will rework to stay and Lazard will be here...swing on an early Day 3 WR and fill more pressing immediate needs may be the way.

In the end I expect Gute though to follow his board and truly give more weight (not all) on BPA and as much as possible on need too.

I'm really hoping for a WR in Rd 2 if value is there. I just think the offense needs another WR opposite of Adams that can take the heat off of him.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really hoping for a WR in Rd 2 if value is there. I just think the offense needs another WR opposite of Adams that can take the heat off of him.
Hard to see how they can now keep Preston Smith. OLB is likely going to be a desperate situation with nobody other than Gary. While Gute will likely draft an OLB high in this draft, its asking a lot for a rookie to make much of an impact.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to see how they can now keep Preston Smith. OLB is likely going to be a desperate situation with nobody other than Gary. While Gute will likely draft an OLB high in this draft, its asking a lot for a rookie to make much of an impact.
Good points. I'm a novice at this draft stuff. Love the draft and all the hoopla and excitement but as far as any real scouting, I browse mock drafts, and the more I do, my draft needs change often. Every time I look into it more, it just feels like the team has more needs than they can fill!

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Both Garvin and Rivers are here, and both have grown each season here. Garvin saw over 300 snaps last year which is more than Gary even saw his rookie year, yes it was Garvin's second year not first, but he was a MUCH later draft pick than Gary. He has shown potential to be a guy that does more in his second actual "normal" year (first year was covid weird).

I'm 50/50 on Preston being back...it will be interesting what they do. If he stays is it a reworked deal? Odds are low he does a team friendly rework two years in a row but maybe...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Garvin and Rivers are here, and both have grown each season here. Garvin saw over 300 snaps last year which is more than Gary even saw his rookie year, yes it was Garvin's second year not first, but he was a MUCH later draft pick than Gary. He has shown potential to be a guy that does more in his second actual "normal" year (first year was covid weird).

I'm 50/50 on Preston being back...it will be interesting what they do. If he stays is it a reworked deal? Odds are low he does a team friendly rework two years in a row but maybe...
I think it's more 95-5 that Preston is coming back. I don't think he's in danger of being cut at all anymore. He is earning his money, he does a lot on this defense. These other guys, while nice for later round picks and inexperienced haven't proven even close to holding down an edge down in and out over the course of a year like Preston.

Garvin may have had more snaps, but a rookie Gary was also behind 2 brand new shiny high paid FA's that were playing superbly. I don't know what Gary's count was, but by the end, he was more productive than the stats show or people gave him credit for. He also looked in a different league than Garvin from the start.

There's no way i'd enter the season as "all in" and do it with Garvin as a starter.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts