2018 NFL Mock Draft

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think James will be great and was the best player on the board. I just do not think we needed a safety in the first round. Safety could be our deepest position even with the departure of Morgan Burnette. Haha/Jones/Brice is something I feel very comfortable with. With the exception of defensive line (starters, not depth) and quarterback, really safety is the only other position I feel great about going into next year. Yes, James would be an upgrade to Jones/Brice, but the real need was at corner. We got a corner in the top 20 AND a first round pick next year.
The only part that makes my stomach a little upset is passing on Trumaine Edmunds. At 19 years old, 6’5 and 250 we have an immediate upgrade to the front 7. Considering the Bills only gave up their #22 and #65 (first pick of round 3), I consider us giving up #27, #76, #186 an almost equal value, but doubt the Ravens would have accepted that trade with what the Bills had offered. Without picking Alexander, we would be very uneasy about CB right now. I feel pretty good about our corner situation at this point. Still expect to get a CB today or early tomorrow.
My thoughts exactly. Although Jones/Brice are unproven, they both are very talented and look promising. What do we have for our 2nd ILB? Ryan is serviceable. I hope he takes a step, but I am afraid he is what he has been - JAG. He won't make any big plays but he won't screw the pooch either. An upgrade at ILB who can also be taught OLB with a guy who is a beast now, and is still physically developing. Couple that with all reports saying this kid is genuine and very high character and I thought it was a no-brainer.

D

Deleted member 6794

I do think James will be great and was the best player on the board. I just do not think we needed a safety in the first round. Safety could be our deepest position even with the departure of Morgan Burnette. Haha/Jones/Brice is something I feel very comfortable with. With the exception of defensive line (starters, not depth) and quarterback, really safety is the only other position I feel great about going into next year. Yes, James would be an upgrade to Jones/Brice, but the real need was at corner. We got a corner in the top 20 AND a first round pick next year.
The only part that makes my stomach a little upset is passing on Trumaine Edmunds. At 19 years old, 6’5 and 250 we have an immediate upgrade to the front 7. Considering the Bills only gave up their #22 and #65 (first pick of round 3), I consider us giving up #27, #76, #186 an almost equal value, but doubt the Ravens would have accepted that trade with what the Bills had offered. Without picking Alexander, we would be very uneasy about CB right now. I feel pretty good about our corner situation at this point. Still expect to get a CB today or early tomorrow.

I agree that the Packers weren't in desperate need of an upgrade at safety but in my opinion there are question marks at the position as well with both Jones and Brice unproven. Therefore I'm not that optimistic as you're about the depth chart. In addition James could turn into a game-changing playmaker at the pro level.

Edmunds could develop into the best player out of this year's draft class but he would have been a risky pick as it's unsure he will be able to fulfill his potential.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems as though 32 teams thought the same thing I did on Landry

That's fine.

I have no knowledge of medicals. I leave that stuff to the pro's. He dropped due to medicals, not tape.

You compared Landry to Datone Jones, which is well...asinine. That's what I've been talking about for pretty much this whole thread with you. You're missing the point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree that the Packers weren't in desperate need of an upgrade at safety but in my opinion there are question marks at the position as well with both Jones and Brice unproven. Therefore I'm not that optimistic as you're about the depth chart. In addition James could turn into a game-changing playmaker at the pro level.

Edmunds could develop into the best player out of this year's draft class but he would have been a risky pick as it's unsure he will be able to fulfill his potential.

Aren't James, Edmunds and Alexander all uproven? Every rookie is unproven in the NFL, even some of the top 10 players taken will probably bust out or just be so so.

I get the feeling that the Packers had just a few guys that they were willing to sit pat on and pick at #14 and if that player wasn't there, there was a large enough "next tier" of guys with pretty much equal risk-rewards value to pull the kind of move that they did. I also think that the first trade was made, knowing that they had a willing partner in Seattle to trade right back down.

Overall I love the outcome, but after reviewing all of the picks after the Packers selected JA, I have to wonder if they actually had to make that second trade to get Alexander and if they hadn't and he was picked, did they like Hughes (Vikings pick at #30) just as much?

D

Deleted member 6794

Aren't James, Edmunds and Alexander all uproven? Every rookie is unproven in the NFL, even some of the top 10 players taken will probably bust out or just be so so.

Of course it's true that all rookies are unproven at the pro level. My point was that I don't feel as comfortable as the poster I replied to about the safety position because of Jones and Brice mostly being unknowns at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Of course it's true that all rookies are unproven at the pro level. My point was that I don't feel as comfortable as the poster I replied to about the safety position because of Jones and Brice mostly being unknowns at this point.

I think the Packer coaching staffs knows a lot more about Jones and Brice than they do about any player in the draft. Jones has only been in the system one year and to think we need to replace him already is probably premature IMO.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just imagine if, after two days of the draft, the Packers had Derwin James and Josh Jackson. While having only one rookie and a second-year guy as two of the top 3 corners on the depth chart might not be as cool as TWO rookies and one second-year guy, I think it might have been worth it.