Just for fun leading up to the draft, post your mock draft for the first round:

1. Cleveland Browns- Josh Allen, QB
2. NY Giants- Bradley Chubb, DE
3. NY Jets- Baker Mayfield, QB
4. Cleveland Browns- Saquon Barkley, RB
5. Denver Broncos- Sam Darnold, QB
6. Indy Colts- Quentin Nelson, G
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Derwin James, S
8. Buffalo Bills (via trade with Bears to swap picks + Bills #53)- Josh Rosen, QB
9. San Francisco 49ers- Tremaine Edmunds, LB
#10. Oakland Raiders- Roquan Smith, OLB
11. Miami Dolphins- Denzel Ward, CB
12. Chicago Bears (via trade with Buffalo)- Vita Vea, DT
13. Washington Redskins- Minkah Fitzpatrick, S
14. New England Patriots (via trade with GB for #23 and #43 picks)- Leighton Vander Esch, LB
15. Arizona Cardinals- Lamar Jackson, QB
16. Baltimore Ravens- Mike Gesicki, TE
17. San Diego Chargers- Rashaad Evans, LB
18. Seattle Seashawks- Carlton Davis, CB
19. Dallas Cowboys- Calvin Ridley, WR
20. Detriot Lions- Da’Ron Payne, DT
21. Cincinnati Bengals- Orlando Brown, G
22. Buffalo Bills- Will Hernandez, G
23. Green Bay Packers (via trade with NE)- Josh Jackson, CB
24. Carolina Panthers- Taven Bryan, DT
25. Tennessee Titans- Courtland Sutton, WR
26. Atlanta Falcons- Marcus Davenport, DE
27. New Oreleans Saints- Dallas Goedert, TE
28. Pittsburg Steelers- Justin Reid, S
29. Jacksonville Jaguars- Deon Cain, WR
30. Minnesota Vikings- Billy Price, C
31. New England Patriots- Mike McGlinchey, OT
32. Philadelphia Eagles- Harold Landry, Edge

#43. Green Bay Packers (via trade with New England)- DJ Moore, WR
#45. Green Bacy Packers- Lorenzo Carter, Edge

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well you know i approve of this. The same trade and the same 3 picks I mocked the pack. Except Jackson which I stated I preferred but he was gone so i opted for alexander.

Not sure I see any great value picks but I see some big surprises in Gesicki and cain sho I both see more late 2nd at best.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be furious if the Packers traded back from #14 with Landry still on the board and decide to pass on him at #23 as well.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I would be furious if the Packers traded back from #14 with Landry still on the board and decide to pass on him at #23 as well.
I’m really not a huge fan of Laundry. I live in the Boston area and goto 1-2 BC games a year, just from the games I attended, he was rather underwhelming for a potential first round draft pick in the ACC. Watching Raji, Kuechly and Matt Ryan was exciting, you knew there was something special. Laundry in BC reminds me of a Datone Jones type of player. Granted this past season I believe he was playing hurt, he did look better the previous season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m really not a huge fan of Laundry. I live in the Boston area and goto 1-2 BC games a year, just from the games I attended, he was rather underwhelming for a potential first round draft pick in the ACC. Watching Raji, Kuechly and Matt Ryan was exciting, you knew there was something special. Laundry in BC reminds me of a Datone Jones type of player. Granted this past season I believe he was playing hurt, he did look better the previous season.

Landry had a phenomenal season in 2016 and played hurt for most of last year. I think a lot of people put too much stock into his performance during an injury riddled campaign.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
My gut on the Packers first pick.....

The one guy I see them trading down to get is Ward. Or if they get extremely lucky Ward falls to them.

Otherwise, I see it boiling down to:
  1. Josh Jackson
  2. Marcus Davenport
  3. Harold Landry
Or they surprise us (me) and really value Hughes and end up taking him.

Roquan Smith would be my dream pick, but I don't think the Packers will trade down to get him and I am even wondering if they would select him if he slipped to #14, especially if they had a CB or EDGE guy still there that they liked.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you're comparing Landry and Datone Jones, then that's where I stop listening. Wow that's awful.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
If you're comparing Landry and Datone Jones, then that's where I stop listening. Wow that's awful.

I mean, there is a major difference between watching someones 4 minute highlight reel and 5 full games live and every other game on TV. Sure, Laundry had an ankle injury this year, but the games he did not play in, were the games BC beat Virginia, Louisville and Florida State. The defense did not miss him when he was not in the lineup. That is NOT what you want out of a Boston College prospect. And I have been following Boston College pretty religiously since my brother went there in 2004.

But then again, you probably thought Janis should have been picked up in the 4th ;).

Reaction score
Roquan Smith would be my dream pick, but I don't think the Packers will trade down to get him and I am even wondering if they would select him if he slipped to #14, especially if they had a CB or EDGE guy still there that they liked.
This is a tough one because, while we absolutely need CB or Edge, I feel like he would be a player that would instantly upgrade the middle of our Defense alongside Martinez. I think its unlikely he falls to #14, but I do believe he's one of several players we would trade to acquire (particularly if he falls outside the top 10)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, there is a major difference between watching someones 4 minute highlight reel and 5 full games live and every other game on TV. Sure, Laundry had an ankle injury this year, but the games he did not play in, were the games BC beat Virginia, Louisville and Florida State. The defense did not miss him when he was not in the lineup. That is NOT what you want out of a Boston College prospect. And I have been following Boston College pretty religiously since my brother went there in 2004.

But then again, you probably thought Janis should have been picked up in the 4th ;).

1) You know they show whole games on YouTube right? Highlights aren't my thing.

2) Jones was a large, power rusher. Landry is a "smaller" speed rusher. Their games are completely different.

3) Virginia, Va Tech, and FSU weren't very good this year. Granted BC sucks too, but that wasn't much of an accomplishment.

4) I don't think Janis is good, except on ST's.

5) All I'm saying is that if you think Landry and Jones are at all similar in play style, you don't know what you're watching.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you really wanna dig in, the ACC is about the only major conference I consistently watch live. I know most of these teams decently well.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is a tough one because, while we absolutely need CB or Edge, I feel like he would be a player that would instantly upgrade the middle of our Defense alongside Martinez. I think its unlikely he falls to #14, but I do believe he's one of several players we would trade to acquire (particularly if he falls outside the top 10)

I'm sure I will be wrong in 4 years time, but within that group of 5-10 players, that the Packers could have a legit shot at drafting, I think R. Smith is the one sure bet. If trading up to get him costs just a 3rd rounder, I would be ecstatic. Pairing him with Martinez would make the Packer defense much faster, as well as less predictable.

With 12 picks, they could easily get back a pick in the 3rd by trading away a few of their mid to later round picks.

Reaction score
I like your thinking. We’ve kinda been in no mans land at interior LB since Hawk’s decline and departure. One reason I think our D improved when Clay moved inside was it put the best available talent on the field. But it also improved our ability to use CM3’s speed to both sidelines. That little bit of extra acquired perimeter speed made a huge impact.
Roquon is a laser to the ball on screens and plays in the flat. As a converted WR, he also has the speed necessary to be an effective man coverage LB in passing situations with better closing speed than we’re used to. I see Martinez as a more old school smash mouth type but with better intelligence and good football wit. He’d compliment Blake perfectly IMO

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It is interesting how split fans and the media are about 2 players that are often being mocked to the Packers at #14, those 2 players being Davenport and Landry. I do believe that unless one of the "top 10" non QB's drop to the Packers, it may very well come down to the Packers making a decision between those 2. I am hoping to see McGlinchey, Vea, Guice and maybe a 5th QB gone before the Packers pick, this should assure them of not having to decide just between those 2 guys.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It is interesting how split fans and the media are about 2 players that are often being mocked to the Packers at #14, those 2 players being Davenport and Landry. I do believe that unless one of the "top 10" non QB's drop to the Packers, it may very well come down to the Packers making a decision between those 2. I am hoping to see McGlinchey, Vea, Guice and maybe a 5th QB gone before the Packers pick, this should assure them of not having to decide just between those 2 guys.

With those two, I suppose it comes down to Pettine's preference, as they're just so different. Landry's first step explosion and ability to bend are elite traits. Besides being a touch short, he is the prototype of a true edge rusher. Davenport isn't really flexible, but he's long and explosive. He can convert speed to power and use his length to disengage.

I think Landry is the rarer player and he would be my choice, but I see why some prefer one or the other.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
1) You know they show whole games on YouTube right? Highlights aren't my thing.

2) Jones was a large, power rusher. Landry is a "smaller" speed rusher. Their games are completely different.

3) Virginia, Va Tech, and FSU weren't very good this year. Granted BC sucks too, but that wasn't much of an accomplishment.

4) I don't think Janis is good, except on ST's.

5) All I'm saying is that if you think Landry and Jones are at all similar in play style, you don't know what you're watching.
It seems as though 32 teams thought the same thing I did on Landry

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How you holding up?

I'm disappointed we passed on Edmunds. Will wait to see how it all ends up with the extra #1 before I judge too harshly.

D

Deleted member 6794

How you holding up?

I'm disappointed we passed on Edmunds. Will wait to see how it all ends up with the extra #1 before I judge too harshly.

I'm mainly disappointed Gutekunst passed on Derwin James. He did a nice job acquiring a first round pick in next year's draft though. Hopefully Alexandee turns out to be a decent starting cornerback at the pro level.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm mainly disappointed Gutekunst passed on Derwin James. He did a nice job acquiring a first round pick in next year's draft though. Hopefully Alexandee turns out to be a decent starting cornerback at the pro level.
I think he will be very good. I just thought Edmunds and James would be great.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
I definitely agree about believing James will turn out to be great.
I do think James will be great and was the best player on the board. I just do not think we needed a safety in the first round. Safety could be our deepest position even with the departure of Morgan Burnette. Haha/Jones/Brice is something I feel very comfortable with. With the exception of defensive line (starters, not depth) and quarterback, really safety is the only other position I feel great about going into next year. Yes, James would be an upgrade to Jones/Brice, but the real need was at corner. We got a corner in the top 20 AND a first round pick next year.
The only part that makes my stomach a little upset is passing on Trumaine Edmunds. At 19 years old, 6’5 and 250 we have an immediate upgrade to the front 7. Considering the Bills only gave up their #22 and #65 (first pick of round 3), I consider us giving up #27, #76, #186 an almost equal value, but doubt the Ravens would have accepted that trade with what the Bills had offered. Without picking Alexander, we would be very uneasy about CB right now. I feel pretty good about our corner situation at this point. Still expect to get a CB today or early tomorrow.

Latest posts