2017 PFF positional rankings

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers deserve the 8th spot then there are a lot of shaky o lines out there. Lindsley and Bulaga are often hurt and the guard position is average at best with no reliable back up on the interior. The fact that Barclay is still on the team should tell you all you need to know about the scary depth at center and guard. If Lindsley gets hurt, Rodgers will be getting the ball from the human turnstile. I also think PFF is way off on ranking the Clowns as the 2nd best o line. While Thomas and Zeitler the two ex Badgers are outstanding, Tretter spends more time in the tub than on the field and their right tackle position is weak.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If the Packers deserve the 8th spot then there are a lot of shaky o lines out there.

The Packers starting offensive linemen definitely form one of the best units in the league. I agree the team lacks quality depth on the interior though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's a pretty good list. I think that Bears and Falcons are too high. I understand Chicago's prowess on the interior, but OT is the money position up front and they're bad there. I think that Shanahan made that line in Atlanta look better than it actually is.

Minnesota at #14 is baffling.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
M'eh. Packers seem about right. Thing with PFF is that you can't take their absolute rankings that specifically, they give you an idea of approximately where a team ranks. Do I think the Packers are literally the 8th best? No, but I do think they're top-10. They have a very good center and two terrific pass-blockers at tackle. Could the oline fall apart, ala the years after Rivera and Wahle? Sure, it's possible. However, the Packers, relative to most other teams, have very good players penciled in at 3 of five spots and that's a great position to be in. Depth is an issue but no team has great depth at tackle (unless their starter isn't that great).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

M'eh. Packers seem about right. Thing with PFF is that you can't take their absolute rankings that specifically, they give you an idea of approximately where a team ranks. Do I think the Packers are literally the 8th best? No, but I do think they're top-10. They have a very good center and two terrific pass-blockers at tackle. Could the oline fall apart, ala the years after Rivera and Wahle? Sure, it's possible. However, the Packers, relative to most other teams, have very good players penciled in at 3 of five spots and that's a great position to be in. Depth is an issue but no team has great depth at tackle (unless their starter isn't that great).

Once again, the Packers starting offensive linemen form an elite pass protection unit but don't excel blocking for the run.

There's reason for concern though as there's not a single proven quality backup on the roster.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Once again, the Packers starting offensive linemen form an elite pass protection unit but don't excel blocking for the run.

There's reason for concern though as there's not a single proven quality backup on the roster.
Another area that, IMO, hasn't been adequately addressed by Thompson. Even more so now than before as Rodgers continues to age, it's becoming more and more crucial to keep him vertical.

However, all of that being said, if there's a positional group that Thompson does indeed deserve the benefit of the doubt, it's with the O-Line.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Another area that, IMO, hasn't been adequately addressed by Thompson.

Thompson adequately addressed the most important need on the offensive line for a starting right guard by signing Evans shortly before the draft. Unfortunately it's possible he didn't make enough moves to improve the depth on the unit.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
We will see what the depth looks like, but it's pretty silly to say that Thompson hasn't adequately addressed the OL when it's the best pass blocking unit in football.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a pretty good list.

Green Bay at 8 seems fine to me until we see if Evans can perform well and how the depth shakes out. The starting tackles are one of the best tandems in the NFL. Lindsey is very solid when healthy.

I agree that the Vikings at 14 is crazy. They signed two average at best tackles - likely below average - to shore up a horrendous oline. How on earth do Renee's and Rieff get this team to jump from 29 to 14. The Vikings don't have a single oline man as good as Bulaga let alone Bakhtiari. There must be a steep drop off between 8 and 14

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't like that PFF tried to separate off pass pro from this assessment. It seems needless and doesn't account for an integral part of any passing offense.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

3rd is being a tad too high maybe few spots lower. Dont know how will Devantae Adams will perform this season will he continue from last season or have a let down. Too many unknowns at this point to be ranked 3rd in passing.

I don't agree with that evaluation by any means. The Packers passing game features the most talented quarterback in the league in Rodgers, the best pass blocking offensive line, elite receiving threats at their respective positions with Nelson and Bennett, other talented receivers in Cobb, Adams and Kendricks as well as a former WR at running back in Montgomery. That definitely qualifies as an elite unit.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

PFF ranks Packers secondary 16th best in the league, that high mostly because of the team having a solid starting tandem at safety in Burnett and Clinton-Dix.

https://profootballfocus.com/news/p...ams-secondaries-heading-into-the-2017-season/

Here's what they had to say about the cornerbacks:

The Packers cornerbacks struggled last year with injuries and poor play, highlighted by Quinten Rollins allowing a 135.4 passer rating into his coverage, fourth highest in the league, and Damarious Randall allowing 2.05 yards per cover snap, also fourth highest in the league. Rare free agent addition Davon House does not figure to be the savior as he gave up a league worst 144.9 passer rating (min. 100 snaps). Second round pick Kevin King is a physical specimen and could see a lot of playing time should 2017 unfold similarly to last season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There goes PFF with their excuse making, mentioning injuries. Tsk, tsk.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't like that PFF tried to separate off pass pro from this assessment. It seems needless and doesn't account for an integral part of any passing offense.

It's not needless when you're a company that makes money based on advertising and many fans are interested mainly in skill players anyway. So PFF can write two articles, the one on the passing game that most casual fans like because it focuses on skill players and then they can also write another article on olines that more hardcore fans will click on.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It's not needless when you're a company that makes money based on advertising and many fans are interested mainly in skill players anyway. So PFF can write two articles, the one on the passing game that most casual fans like because it focuses on skill players and then they can also write another article on olines that more hardcore fans will click on.

They could still write two articles.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

There goes PFF with their excuse making, mentioning injuries. Tsk, tsk.

As you've probably guessed correctly I didn't like the article mentioning injuries as a reason for the Packers cornerbacks struggling last season.

So PFF can write two articles, the one on the passing game that most casual fans like because it focuses on skill players and then they can also write another article on olines that more hardcore fans will click on.

There's no doubt the offensive line's ability to protect the quarterback is an important part of a team's passing game though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Packers backfield ranked 21st by PFF entering the 2017 season.

https://profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-backfields-heading-into-the-2017-season/

Here's what they had to say about Montgomery and the rest if the group:

If Green Bay would give Ty Montgomery the ball more often, they might rank higher on this list. But when you utilize the most productive back, per carry in the NFL fewer than 10 touches a game and draft three additional running backs, it tells a little bit about your plans for 2017. Montgomery’s 97.6 elusive rating was an NFL best among backs with a minimum of 100 touches as was his ridiculous 4.59 yards per attempt after contact. FB Aaron Ripkowski is a solid run-blocker but the key for the Packers will be how they utilize rookies Jamaal Williams, Aaron Jones and Devante Mays.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a pretty good list. I think that Bears and Falcons are too high. I understand Chicago's prowess on the interior, but OT is the money position up front and they're bad there. I think that Shanahan made that line in Atlanta look better than it actually is.

Minnesota has one of the WORST in the league so something is definitely off with this list. If you are telling me they went from 29th at the end of last season to 14th as of today, in the words of Ozzie Guillen: "pffffft please."