2014 Draft analysis

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Once again, FWIW Brian Gutekunst told the media that Bradford will line up at OLB at first. As of right now I don´t think the Packers count on him to be the starter at ILB
in week 1.

I saw that and that's what there saying right now but that could all change very quickly. I am sure him playing ILB has entered there thoughts somewhere through the process thus far. Obviously pure speculation but many people have him playing ILB in a 3-4 in the NFL. We can just wait and see. I don't see anything holding him back from playing inside in this hybrid 3-4 Capers is putting together.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, but you´re in denial of reality if you don´t acknowledge that the ILB is a weak spot on the defense. Thompson did nothing to improve it during the draft which is a big negative about this year´s picks. Ignoring the safety position didn´t work out that well last year and I´m afraid the same could happen because of not drafting an ILB.

I can see what you're saying, but last year, we literally had nothing at safety. We do have brad jones and he is better at his position than MD was at S. And we have Lattimore who showed flashes last year. Another camp may help him out with fundamentals and coverage. And Bradford may switch to ILB and he was a steal for us. We do have better options than we did at safety last year. Although, it could still be a position of weakness and probably will be, I would like to see Bradford in the role before making my decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see what you're saying, but last year, we literally had nothing at safety. We do have brad jones and he is better at his position than MD was at S. And we have Lattimore who showed flashes last year. Another camp may help him out with fundamentals and coverage. And Bradford may switch to ILB and he was a steal for us. We do have better options than we did at safety last year. Although, it could still be a position of weakness and probably will be, I would like to see Bradford in the role before making my decisions

And yes I know Bradford will start at OLB but the switch was made with Lattimore and jones so it could happen again very easily.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'm in agreement with Kipers' assessment: Packers got good talent (B+)but didn't fill enough positions of need (B-), rating them a "B" in the draft.

This was a successful draft for FS and WR.

Calvin Pryor may have more upside, but Clinton-Dix looks to me the more NFL-ready FS. Banking on upside is always a gamble.

We were getting thin at WR and now with Adams and Abbreberis in the fold, all of a sudden the Packers look good.

We also filled a need at C. I know that the Packers are high on Tretter, but he's hardly played at all and I'm glad we got a real C in Lindsley in case Tretter doesn't work out.

We partially filled a need at TE, but Rogers is a developmental player who the Packers picked apparently because they think he's got a good pro skill set, i.e. a lot of upside. 1 or 2 years down the road he could be an impact player but not now.

Thornton joins a pretty crowded DL, and again looks like the Packers chose him because he's very fast for a 300lb DLineman. Again, upside, and he'll be draft and develop like Rogers, which isn't a bad thing. Somebody is going to be the odd-man out on the DL however, and I wonder who it's going to be.

OLB also just became a pretty crowded place with Bradford. Now there's Perry, Mulumba and Bradford opposite Clay. Seems that the GB coaching staff has a much higher opinion of Brad Jones than we do. /shrug.

ILB was the second most needed position on the team, at least in the opinion of many of us here, and TT didn't address it at all. Why he didn't go for Smallwood in round 7 is something I wonder about. Did the GMs know something about Smallwood after he was rated so highly before?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree ILB is still a concern. Of course if the play around them improves it won’t be as big a problem but I was disappointed ILB wasn’t addressed in the draft - that’s probably why I assumed Bradford was drafted to compete there. If they viewed the draft as shallow at ILB, I would have favored signing a vet as insurance. But of course I wouldn’t want them to draft or acquire a player just to say they did.

They must have faith in backups Lattimore, Barrington, and perhaps Aiyewa or at least view them as better options than a draftee available at one of their picks. Maybe UDFAs Thomas or Doughty will surprise but it’s a long shot they make the roster let alone contributing from scrimmage. My guess why they didn't draft Smallwood is because they didn't see much difference between him and a player like Thomas.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

And yes I know Bradford will start at OLB but the switch was made with Lattimore and jones so it could happen again very easily.

I would really like them to draft players to play their natural position and not move them around all over the place. Jones and Lattimore were moved to the inside because they weren´t good enough at the outside. Now they´re not good enough to start inside. I´m disappointed we didn´t draft a true ILB, still hope Thomas or Doughty may work out.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

They must have faith in backups Lattimore, Barrington, and perhaps Aiyewa or at least view them as better options than a draftee available at one of their picks.

That´s exactly what they thought about Jennings and McMillian last year. I´m really concerned not improving the position could backfire just like not addressing the safety position in 2013. I agree that if they thought there weren´t any good prospects avaialble aside of Mosley they should have brought in a veteran.

paulska

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the mania of the draft is over and my initial reactions to things are settled, it seems like the Packers are getting good feedback via analysts about how well we made out.

Lest we incite the "does TT draft for need/BPA/etc" flames round these parts, Bedard and Burke at si.com/mmqb.si.com graded our efforts for the weekend at an A, specifically pointing out that our draft strategy provided for clear needs at good value for where guys were drafted. The Kiper gave us a B.

I have to say that I like Clinton-Dix, Adams and the WR talent near the bottom of the draft. We don't need them all to be all-pros- sometimes it's easy to forget that in the passing game of today. Bredford seems like he could be a player at OLB with time.

My concerns are with the big DE we drafted, but I suppose that has more to do with the fact that I have no idea who he is. I don't watch enough college football to have ever heard of the kid. He's also playing a position that doesn't rack up stats in our D- if he can learn technique and discipline in his role, he could be a valuable add. My nerves are around the fact that he seems like a pure measurables guy- we haven't had great luck with DL that fit that bill.

I don't know anything about the C we got, but C isn't a position you necessarily freak out about. It would appear the rest of the OL around whoever plays there will be veterans and capable of making blocking assignment calls- the new C won't have to be all world at that stuff off the hop.

I'm cool (as in tepidly warm) about Rodgers at TE. Some scouts/analysts rave about his hands. He clearly isn't the athlete that Finley was, but I think in some respects I'd rather have someone whose hands were consistently on and has the knack for beating coverage rather than having sick straight line speed. Finley was awesome when he made catches, but there were TONS of times he wasn't awesome at all. I don't know if he's great value where we picked him- that's my main beef with that one.

On the whole, it looks like a safe draft. I don't mind the apparent "reach" on Goodson, the CB, in the 6th- 6th rounders are generally long shots. Some griped that he was 25, but he's really 20-21 in football pounding/wear & tear years. If he's a smart kid, you likely don't have the growing up to be a man bumps some guys face.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would really like them to draft players to play their natural position and not move them around all over the place. Jones and Lattimore were moved to the inside because they weren´t good enough at the outside. Now they´re not good enough to start inside. I´m disappointed we didn´t draft a true ILB, still hope Thomas or Doughty may work out.

What I really think there missing at ILB is speed and explosiveness. Lattimore is our fastest ILB and he lacks some explosiveness. Were just not that athletic and explosive overall at the position. By the way, Look who the Baltimore Ravens got. C.J. Mosley and Terrence Brooks(my first 2 players mocked to packers). LOL. No wonder they always have a top defense in the league. I really believe TT could of made this happen for us as the Ravens were only a few spots ahead of us and they got Brooks in the 3rd. We wouldn't of been able to get Devante Adams then but still would have Abby. It's a tough call because now that we have Adams I wouldn't like giving him up. Even though they didn't draft a true ILB I don't compare situation exactly too the safety situation last year. I know Bradford is going to OLB class room day 1 but he played some ILB in college. He played what they call the "Devil Position" at ASU where he lined up everywhere. His physical numbers play best for him at ILB in NFL IMO. I know Thomas is a small school guy but he has about just as much talent as any linebacker drafted. Lastly, safety is a more specialty position and it is much harder to find top-tier safety's as UFA's etc. etc. Also, Free agency isn't over. There is still plenty of time for TT to make a move. I know that is not like him but maybe he packages one of our RB's or something for an inside backer. I'm not going to hit the panic button yet. If Brad Jones is starting against the Seahawks then it might be time.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What I really think there missing at ILB is speed and explosiveness. Lattimore is our fastest ILB and he lacks some explosiveness. Were just not that athletic and explosive overall at the position. By the way, Look who the Baltimore Ravens got. C.J. Mosley and Terrence Brooks(my first 2 players mocked to packers). LOL. No wonder they always have a top defense in the league. I really believe TT could of made this happen for us as the Ravens were only a few spots ahead of us and they got Brooks in the 3rd. We wouldn't of been able to get Devante Adams then but still would have Abby. It's a tough call because now that we have Adams I wouldn't like giving him up. Even though they didn't draft a true ILB I don't compare situation exactly too the safety situation last year. I know Bradford is going to OLB class room day 1 but he played some ILB in college. He played what they call the "Devil Position" at ASU where he lined up everywhere. His physical numbers play best for him at ILB in NFL IMO. I know Thomas is a small school guy but he has about just as much talent as any linebacker drafted. Lastly, safety is a more specialty position and it is much harder to find top-tier safety's as UFA's etc. etc. Also, Free agency isn't over. There is still plenty of time for TT to make a move. I know that is not like him but maybe he packages one of our RB's or something for an inside backer. I'm not going to hit the panic button yet. If Brad Jones is starting against the Seahawks then it might be time.

When the offseason started I told myself not to judge Thompson´s move until after the draft. Right now, ILB is the position I´m most worried about and while it´s possible some of the things you suggested might work out I would feel way better about it if the Packers would have either addressed the position during the draft or free agency.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
When the offseason started I told myself not to judge Thompson´s move until after the draft. Right now, ILB is the position I´m most worried about and while it´s possible some of the things you suggested might work out I would feel way better about it if the Packers would have either addressed the position during the draft or free agency.

I agree. Me too. The front seven is a ILB away from having what I believe can be a dominant front seven finally. I just gotta believe that after the Safety and Quarterback situation last year they have to be feeling good about something in the middle at linebacker that we may not be fully aware of. At least I'm hoping that's the case.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree. Me too. The front seven is a ILB away from having what I believe can be a dominant front seven finally. I just gotta believe that after the Safety and Quarterback situation last year they have to be feeling good about something in the middle at linebacker that we may not be fully aware of. At least I'm hoping that's the case.

More like two ILBs away. ;)

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Remember Super Bowl year when Frank Zombo stepped up out of nowhere?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Rodgers is that he is slow, hopefully not too slow to challenge the seam but we shall see. He is significantly slower than Finley who ran a 4.67 compared to Rodgers 4.87. By comparison Thorton ran a 4.9 according to packers director of college scouting and he is a 300+ pound lineman.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with Rodgers is that he is slow, hopefully not too slow to challenge the seam but we shall see. He is significantly slower than Finley who ran a 4.67 compared to Rodgers 4.87. By comparison Thorton ran a 4.9 according to packers director of college scouting and he is a 300+ pound lineman.

40 yard dash times are lies. Not always but a lot of the time. If Rodgers was to run it again, already being drafted, without all the pressure, I bet he runs it a lot faster.

H

HardRightEdge

I give this draft a B grade, which is slightly higher than what I gave the last 2 drafts at the time.

Members online

Latest posts