1st round pick for Jalen Ramsey???

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they didn't trade for Minkah then there's no way they trade for Jalen. Minkah still has four years left on his rookie deal while Jalen is going to want a MASSIVE contract. Minkah, when considering his contact, was the better guy to trade for so I doubt the Packers really try to acquire Jalen.

I doubt they really try for him also. Wasnt my point though

I disagree Minkah was the better guy to go after though (especially if the baseline is what Miami ended getting for him). Sure Fitzpatrick is on his rookie contract while a Ramsey extension would loom large but Ramsey isnt just arguably the best young corner in the league but but hes in the conversation for just plain best corner in the league period. Minkah is a slot CB who has struggled when put on the outside. The gap between them as CBs is just to large to put one over the other based on contract imo.

Also it should be noted that just cause the Packers didnt get Minkah doesnt mean they didnt offer their own first rounder. Beating a 1st round pick from Pittsburgh at this point in time would take another high round pick added on to our own first

Pretty much what I'm saying is "if" it were just a first rounder (or a first rounder plus a guy with "potential") from the Packers to get it done I would do it in a heartbeat. However with what Miami got from Pittsburgh that seems extremely unlikely. Doesnt mean that I think they will do it though.

There are extremely strong arguments for not doing it as the offense is going to need all the draft picks they can get next year (that's just weird to say)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Character issues are ALWAYS a concern and can't be overblown when you're the guy putting out millions per year on a guy who may or may not show depending on whether or not he feels like showing...

As the old yarn goes...you can't fix stupid. Diving in head first on "quirky, look at me" guys is just lousy business.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for some fans its a personal issue. They simply don't want to feel obligated to cheer for someone they find repulsive. Sometimes its for moral issues (the player beat someone or did something else illegal) or sometimes its just because a player is a complete ****** (is ****** one word or two?)

Up until these last allegations AB fell into the later category and many fans felt he would simply be a disruption. Now with the recent claims by the trainer he may spill over into the former. All we know for sure is that no matter what category he was in his time in Oakland was no more than a fart in the wind and I'm betting all the fans who approved of that move initially have changed their minds.
I’ve given up trying to explain that. Unfortunately many just don’t seem to understand it.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports are saying the starting point is 2 1st rounders.

In out at that point for much the same reasons I wasnt on boat with trading for Mack

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unlike Mack, we really don't "NEED" another CB. Would it be nice to have one as good as Ramsey to go along with Alexander, King, Williams, Brown and Jackson, sure. But not at the cost of giving up 2 first Round picks and $15-16M/year. Ramsey isn't going to play on his rookie deal or his 5th year, he is going to demand a new contract.

Like a few have said, if the Packers were really wanting to heavily invest more draft capital in the secondary, Fitzpatrick would have been the better option, but I was a "no" on him as well.

This team has ignored its offense in the draft and in Free Agency way too long, its about time they shift gears and save draft picks and cap money to do that. The defense is operating just fine (2nd in NFL) right now.

I can't believe anyone is even seriously contemplating that this would be a good idea, to be honest.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports are saying the starting point is 2 1st rounders.

In out at that point for much the same reasons I wasnt on boat with trading for Mack
No chance in hell they should consider that price tag

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt they really try for him also. Wasnt my point though

I disagree Minkah was the better guy to go after though (especially if the baseline is what Miami ended getting for him). Sure Fitzpatrick is on his rookie contract while a Ramsey extension would loom large but Ramsey isnt just arguably the best young corner in the league but but hes in the conversation for just plain best corner in the league period. Minkah is a slot CB who has struggled when put on the outside. The gap between them as CBs is just to large to put one over the other based on contract imo.

Also it should be noted that just cause the Packers didnt get Minkah doesnt mean they didnt offer their own first rounder. Beating a 1st round pick from Pittsburgh at this point in time would take another high round pick added on to our own first

Pretty much what I'm saying is "if" it were just a first rounder (or a first rounder plus a guy with "potential") from the Packers to get it done I would do it in a heartbeat. However with what Miami got from Pittsburgh that seems extremely unlikely. Doesnt mean that I think they will do it though.

There are extremely strong arguments for not doing it as the offense is going to need all the draft picks they can get next year (that's just weird to say)

Again, just looking at value. Ramsey is going to want a contract over $15mil per year (would put him in line with the two highest paid corners). Minkah is making $5.7m TOTAL over the next three years and then has a team-friendly option after that. From a team-building perspective, having maybe the 20th best CB in the NFL (Minkah) at 13% of the cost of having the best CB in the NFL seems to make sense, especially when the Packers already have a guy in Alexander that can take a team's best WR.

The Packers' defense has been really good this year but they are one Kevin King injury away from being in trouble; and that's frightening considering King's injury history.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not ultimately getting Minkah doesn't mean they didn't try or submit an offer. The winning bid was Pittsburgh's #1 pick (potential to be a top 10 pick).

If they couldn't beat Pitt's offer then I doubt they'll be willing to trade anything that will beat more desperate team's offers for Ramsey. I think Minkah was the better overall value but Ramsey will be in demand from teams that lack a proven #1 CB (which I think the Packers already have).

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, just looking at value. Ramsey is going to want a contract over $15mil per year (would put him in line with the two highest paid corners). Minkah is making $5.7m TOTAL over the next three years and then has a team-friendly option after that. From a team-building perspective, having maybe the 20th best CB in the NFL (Minkah) at 13% of the cost of having the best CB in the NFL seems to make sense, especially when the Packers already have a guy in Alexander that can take a team's best WR.

The Packers' defense has been really good this year but they are one Kevin King injury away from being in trouble; and that's frightening considering King's injury history.
You realize Minkah is off the table, right?

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really?! I hadn't heard...of course I realize that. I also realize the Vikings game is over but that doesn't mean we can't keep talking about it, right?;)
Not the same at all. Minkah is not an option now.

Anyway ignore me. I'm on a Tuesday afternoon bender. Blame the Dogfish 90 min IPA.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I would've rather we went after Minkah, instead of Ramsey, and while I'm not opposed to the idea of having him on board, but I believe Jacksonville wants more than a first round for him if I'm not mistaken. The way I see it, you can never have enough in regards to buffering the defense and by doing so we become more formidable, and we have depth. Plus on top of that the more formidable we look, the more appealing the pieces we have in regards to trading with other teams, for other pieces. That's one of the reasons why I wouldn't have mind getting Minkah.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The patriots win Super Bowls with babies and divas every year. It’s time we worry less about character and more about the scoreboard .

How the Patsies operate has nothing to do with us. They have such a non-stop winning culture they can cut anyone that doesn't abide by their rules. The other 31 teams don't have that same leverage.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think for some fans its a personal issue. They simply don't want to feel obligated to cheer for someone they find repulsive. Sometimes its for moral issues (the player beat someone or did something else illegal) or sometimes its just because a player is a complete ****** (is ****** one word or two?)

Up until these last allegations AB fell into the later category and many fans felt he would simply be a disruption. Now with the recent claims by the trainer he may spill over into the former. All we know for sure is that no matter what category he was in his time in Oakland was no more than a fart in the wind and I'm betting all the fans who approved of that move initially have changed their minds.

I mean with AB I can understand, and for the record I when I was arguing for him to join, I was mainly playing devil's advocate and I stated I would rather have Odell than AB. And maybe this is just based on my time here and the vibe I get from a few people here, but I feel like a lot of people here are way too judgemental. It's like heaven forbid we don't take a chance on someone who's not completely spotless. The concept should be winning, if a player increases our chances to win, and if the demands are reasonable then I don't see a problem in taking a chance on people that has checkered pasts.

You don't have to like the person, but if he helps the team win and doesn't cause any problems, I don't see what the issue is. You can be happy in spite of said individual being on the team. It's like you said, that's a personal problem, and frankly with respect, these people need to get over themselves.

I don't mean to say invite everyone, but again I do believe a change of culture can be of help. And if we are as great as an organization then what's the problem in taking a risk? I know people keep bringing this up, but New England keeps bringing people with checkered past and yet they turn out well, so why are we so afraid of taking chances?

@OldSchool101 said something very beautiful yesterday and I believe it does hold a lot of truth.

"We live in a world that loves to point fingers and pass judgement on one another. But I can assure you of only one thing, if we continue to keep pointing fingers, we will be judged by the very measure we dole out, in this life and the next. We’re always quick to pile on and quick to point, but highly offended when they pile on us or the finger is on us. You can’t have one without the other and the former quickly becomes a prerequisite."

I love each and everyone of you guys and I do enjoy discussing football and other things with you all, but I do wish we were a little less judgemental at times. And if I presented myself that way I apologize. I try to observe, not judge.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like with a few acquisitions this team could have real Super Bowl potential. Should we throw away the future for now ?

Personally, if the Packers are going to trade for a veteran, I'd rather have another playmaker on offense.

Just my two cents.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok in regards to trading for defensive pieces, this is just a thought, and I'm interested in hearing you guys' thoughts. Say we end up getting Ramsey, and our defense becomes a juggernaut, wouldn't that make those pieces more appealing to trade for potentially players on offense, and because we have so many options on defense, we won't have to worry about skipping a beat. Plus it's not like we're going to be able to keep all these guys, so I'd rather we be able to get use them to better our situation rather than to eventually depart with them. I feel like New England is a master at pulling off this kind of strategy.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean with AB I can understand, and for the record I when I was arguing for him to join, I was mainly playing devil's advocate and I stated I would rather have Odell than AB. And maybe this is just based on my time here and the vibe I get from a few people here, but I feel like a lot of people here are way too judgemental. It's like heaven forbid we don't take a chance on someone who's not completely spotless. The concept should be winning, if a player increases our chances to win, and if the demands are reasonable then I don't see a problem in taking a chance on people that has checkered pasts.

You don't have to like the person, but if he helps the team win and doesn't cause any problems, I don't see what the issue is. You can be happy in spite of said individual being on the team. It's like you said, that's a personal problem, and frankly with respect, these people need to get over themselves.

I don't mean to say invite everyone, but again I do believe a change of culture can be of help. And if we are as great as an organization then what's the problem in taking a risk? I know people keep bringing this up, but New England keeps bringing people with checkered past and yet they turn out well, so why are we so afraid of taking chances?

@OldSchool101 said something very beautiful yesterday and I believe it does hold a lot of truth.

"We live in a world that loves to point fingers and pass judgement on one another. But I can assure you of only one thing, if we continue to keep pointing fingers, we will be judged by the very measure we dole out, in this life and the next. We’re always quick to pile on and quick to point, but highly offended when they pile on us or the finger is on us. You can’t have one without the other and the former quickly becomes a prerequisite."

I love each and everyone of you guys and I do enjoy discussing football and other things with you all, but I do wish we were a little less judgemental at times. And if I presented myself that way I apologize. I try to observe, not judge.

Well, theoretically I don't have problems with bringing guys in with baggage, although there may be some good reasons to be concerned about a quit attitude. For example, Martellus Bennett was given a chance here and that ended pretty badly. That may be where some concern is ...

Another might be the head coach and whether or not he could keep them under control. With Bellichek, he has name recognition, seniority, a culture he has long kept intact and just his name alone will get respect even from controversial players. Other coaches don't have this. I think about Marvin Lewis who also tried to take in and go with these kinds of guys like Vontaze Burfict and Pacman Jones and he failed badly. They'd do dumb things that kept him from ever getting a playoff win and got him his deserved firing.

I guess for our part we've had mixed results:

Andre Rison in 1996: good signing and ended up working out great that year

Terry Glenn in 2002: not so good and disappointing production that year

Not really sure how LaFleur would fare if he had someone like Ramsey on his team. Younger HC, it might be better not to give him extra headaches to deal with

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, theoretically I don't have problems with bringing guys in with baggage, although there may be some good reasons to be concerned about a quit attitude. For example, Martellus Bennett was given a chance here and that ended pretty badly. That may be where some concern is ...

Another might be the head coach and whether or not he could keep them under control. With Bellichek, he has name recognition, seniority, a culture he has long kept intact and just his name alone will get respect even from controversial players. Other coaches don't have this. I think about Marvin Lewis who also tried to take in and go with these kinds of guys like Vontaze Burfict and Pacman Jones and he failed badly. They'd do dumb things that kept him from ever getting a playoff win and got him his deserved firing.

I guess for our part we've had mixed results:

Andre Rison in 1996: good signing and ended up working out great that year

Terry Glenn in 2002: not so good and disappointing production that year

Not really sure how LaFleur would fare if he had someone like Ramsey on his team. Younger HC, it might be better not to give him extra headaches to deal with
You know what, I totally failed to take into account of Lefleur and him being a first year coach and everything. On top of that while I do think we have a good culture, I don't know who exactly would be like our enforcer. That is an excellent point. I'm kicking myself for not factoring that in.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the same at all. Minkah is not an option now.

Anyway ignore me. I'm on a Tuesday afternoon bender. Blame the Dogfish 90 min IPA.

I don't think it's irrelevant to bring up a recent trade opportunity for a cornerback in a discussion about a current trade opportunity for a different corner. It would seem silly to not reference the Minkah trade in discussing the Jalen trade. That being said, please continue, some of the best points one ever made were on a bender... Or maybe it was most entertaining posts?

Members online

Latest posts