10 Reasons for Optimism

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. An extra 2nd round pick in a deep draft through the third round.
2. Two new safeties that might not be all pro but have experience and Roman who had 3.5 sacks last year and appears to play well in the box. He might not be a cover guy but who knows after all the disarry in the secondary last year.
3. Two corners that aren

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
some healthy optimism, i love it.

im with you on everything except for the Roman comment, i have zero faith in that guy...so he's in the doghouse with me until he does something spectacular.

and i pray your right about Sanders, if he comes through i won't have to send Sherman a horse head in the mail.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also Optimistic

Wahle and Rivera would likely have gone regardless of cap room.
Sharper too was not worth 10% of the salary cap. These were "good business losses. Not some terrible unexpected thing. Some roster turnover happens every year. We essentially lost from our strength.

We have three picks in the top 60 which means each one will likely be in the top 5 at their position. I would like to see these 3 rookies starting because their talent exceeds what we currently have.

3rd and fourth rounds have produced many of your bread and butter players(linebacker, tight end, fullback) so David Martin types could still be cut and Carroll could be 2nd string.

Our fifth and sixth round picks are high in the round (#7) coming from Oakland. One of these to picks should make the team.

3 eventual if not immediate starters and 3 solid backups in the draft.

The defensive scheme can only be better even if the same players are there.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
and i pray your right about Sanders, if he comes through i won't have to send Sherman a horse head in the mail.

what's the post office charge on a package like that?

OP
OP
M

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they're ever going to clone anyone, they should clone officials so that they all think alike. I've never seen as much variability with any penalty as I've seen with the illegal contact penalties last year. Carroll has gotten a bad rap, because of the ticky tacky illegal contact penalties. I always thought that football is a contact sport and not ballet. As Carroll got used to the system and began to know what he was doing, he could run with any reciever. I expect some big things from him this year and someday he'll be a star in this league. But, like most of Sherman's picks, he's a bit of project. Sheman thinks in the longer term and looks at a player's upside. Unfortunately, there is really only one example of that because of injuries and that's Walker who really blossomed into a top receiving threat in his third year. We'll see more example of his drafting prowess in the coming years as these players develop. I still remember all of the crying and the gnashing of teeth when Sherman drafted Walker. Sherman did his homework on that one. We'll see improvement from Carroll next year as a 2nd year player...a 2nd year player...a 2nd year player...a 2nd year player...ad infinitum.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mackie2001 said:
If they're ever going to clone anyone, they should clone officials so that they all think alike. I've never seen as much variability with any penalty as I've seen with the illegal contact penalties last year. Carroll has gotten a bad rap, because of the ticky tacky illegal contact penalties. I always thought that football is a contact sport and not ballet. As Carroll got used to the system and began to know what he was doing, he could run with any reciever. I expect some big things from him this year and someday he'll be a star in this league.

definately.

Carroll came in at anwful time. he still made some rookie mistakes, but that was to be expected. when we drafted him all i could think of was...5'9? i was pretty nervous, but he definately proved he can run with anybody in the leauge. he's gotta learn that he can't be so touchy this year or that'll be his downfall again, but i definately see a bright future for him in green bay.

OP
OP
M

Mackie2001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a matter of confidence for Carroll. Once he learns that he's the equal of any wide receiver out there, he'll stop grabbing and start intercepting. With his leaping ability, he'll intercept a lot of passes. He must have a 40" vertical.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah he can leap..i dont think i saw him get picked on with too many jump balls thrown his way when we were backed up deep in the redzone. i forget exzactly what his vertical is, but it's impressive. that's the first thing they mentioned after they ragged on his height.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
sixone220 said:
arrowgargantuan said:

what's the post office charge on a package like that?

haha...not too bad, i know a guy.
Okay - this is gettin like chain mail, or something.....
I'd like to clue yous guys in on something.... My family's Sicilian!
Yous want sometin' dun - yous gots to do it right - call the Union!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mackie2001 said:

Lots of good reasons listed, but #6 might be my number one reason. No question our defense needs to add some talent, but I thought Slowik took an average defense and played a big part in making it one of the worst. Hopefully Bates can get the most out of the players he has to at least make the defense respectable.

I'm also eager to see if TT can make an impact in the draft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts