10+ FACTS DEBUNKING MEDIA MYTH...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, another excellent post. Have a great father's day, and YOUR father too.

1966--another great moment in the history of the greatest pro franchise in sport.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Hammer, I was starting to think it was because I hadn't showered yet :lol:

It was one of those sleepless 3 A.M. rants that I had to get up and write, so I could go to sleep.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you JBlood...

JBlood said:
Bruce, another excellent post. Have a great father's day, and YOUR father too.

1966--another great moment in the history of the greatest pro franchise in sport.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Thanks Brother! And for one of the best shots of all-time.

I look forward to reading your comments on the ba-bump, ba-bump, CB thread,

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully agree Bruce

If you look at the Vikings...they have had nearly as much turnover...they paid a fortune for it...and they don't know the results.

I've nearly wet my pants laughing at the Vikings fans who came to the NC board crowing about signing Darren Sharper.

The Packers are in phase one of a rebuilding mode...this year defense...next year offense. By the third year out, a good portion of the current roster will be turned over.

I simply don't see the deep fall the writers and fans from elsewhere are predicting for Green Bay. If anything, the team will be in more games and the 40+ point blowout games are a thing of the past.

The Packers made the playoffs last year with one of the worst defenses in the league. I'll settle for less offense and more defense.

vixtalkn

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce...

Picked up this media quote from another website and am sure this is the type of stuff you're referencing:

2. Bates and switch
Green Bay's defense in 2004 was arguably the worst in franchise history, setting several marks for futility. Shockingly, the Packers did very little from a personnel standpoint this off-season. What they did do is hire Jim Bates as their new defensive coordinator. Now they'll ask him to turn water to wine. Bates was the defensive coordinator in Miami the past five seasons and the Dolphins ranked in the top 10 in total defense each year. While Bates had a roster packed with Pro Bowlers in Miami, Green Bay's is loaded with uncertainty. Bates is regarded as an outstanding teacher whose enthusiasm is contagious. The players already seem to have fewer issues with the scheme, which won't change in mid-stream as Bob Slowik's did a year ago. If Bates can somehow take a group that ranked 25th in total defense and get them in the top 10, he could be a hot head-coaching commodity after the season.

The author attributes the quote to JS Online from June 16, 2005, but try as I may, I could not find the article to find out which sportswriter wrote it.

In any event, I agree with you. I don't know what the chicks in the chorus line expect to happen during the offseason. Cripes, do the Packers have to go out and sign last year's entire 1st string Pro Bowl defense before the chicks will give it a rest?

I for one am confident this defense is going to give Brett the ball a whole lot more this year.

Bring on the game!

Reaction score
Bruce, GREAT POST! Well said, and I couldn't agree more. P@ck66, I believe that there is talent on the D-Line, and LB's are great, but I would think that after the first half of the season in getting seemingly beat up by opposing offence's, the D did loose confidence in themselves. This new season is a fresh start for everyone on the D, and I think that will help them put up some solid numbers.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post Bruce. I do think we will be better and I also would include that we had several young DL hurt last year that will contirubue this year. I think williams will surprise as well as Lee, Peterson and others.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I too enjoyed reading your post Bruce, however I differ a bit on a few things. The two starting safeties weren't much to talk about, perhaps journymen at best. School is still out on Underwood, Colins and Hawthorne. Although it's nice to draft linebackers, I don't think there was anyone who tought that either of those two guys were going to be special. The defensive end was kind of a slug in college. So yeah I agree they drafted defensively, but I'm not sure they drafted smart. I thought there were a lot of good defensive players on the board that they could have chosen and didn't. I still think you win in this league with defense. I hope I'm wrong on everything I've written.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce I think you have made some good points and for the most part I agree with your concept that people whether it be the media or the fans who claim GB didn't do anything on defense are wrong.

I think you missed point #11. The young players that they have on the DL will step up and perform better this year. The same for the young DB's who have a year under their belts.

If GB did nothing else but bring in Bates that move improves the defense for sure.

I know that hidden treasures are found every year in rounds 5-7 but more often than not they take several years to develop. Many times players drafted in those rounds don't make the cut with the team that drafted them (at least not teams that are competing for their division title and the Super Bowl) so I am just a bit skeptical about how much the 3 defensive players will contribute who were drafted in the last 3 rounds.

I am not an expert on college football players so I can not intelligently comment on the players that GB drafted. There are two things however that trouble me about the draft.
1. That GB seemed to reach just a bit with their defensive picks overall. I don't know what goes on in all the war rooms it just seems like Collins for example may not have been the best player on the board but for their new defensive scheme maybe he was.
2. I was a bit upset to see them time and time again trade down for more draft choices. Once again I could be all wrong and time will tell but I would rather have one solid player in the 3rd round than 3 players who may not even make the team being selected in the 5-7th rounds. (6 players over all in those rounds.) It's the old quality vs quanity argument. Players from those rounds who do stick with teams in the NFL typically do so for a couple of reasons either they truly are the diamonds in the rough and to get one is great, to get that many is unheard of OR the team's depth is so bad that even mediocre to average college players are considered an improvement. If it is the later reason that really doesn't offer us much real encouragement.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Thanks Hammer, I was starting to think it was because I hadn't showered yet :lol:

Nope. Another informative post Bruce. In my case I've been too busy on the golf course the last couple of days that I'm still trying to catch up on my reading all the posts.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Font of wrongness

Steel-

You implied the Packers did nothing to upgrade the Dline.

Am I wrong or have both KGB and Grady Jackson been Pro Bowlers?

Hunt is a turd, and Kampman is still growing...but maybe you could enlighten us as to how the Packers...given a very tight cap and needing to fill the starting guard spots to protect Brett Favre...could go out and find these people just lined up to play for the Packers?

The defensive line FA's were thin this year(Hovan was one of the top ones...that would have been an improvement?!) Williams signed with the Vikings for mega-dollars...

What you are in essence saying is Jim Bates and TT are liars when they say improvement could well come from the young players the Packers already have on the roster.

Of all the Vikings mega-dollar signings...Williams is the only one I see who will be a major upgrade. Smoot is hot and cold...Harris(Moss trade) has been a mild bust...Sharper...do we need to say more?

Bottom line: Bates will make the Packers defense better, and they don't have to spend mega-dollars for the next Joe Johnson to show up.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, Great post. I myself wouldn't include the drafting of late pics as signifigant moves but they were certainlly done to improve the team. I do agree with you that the team has done a lot to address the defence and that we will see signifigant change and improvement on the field this year.

Later
Leopardmech

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bruce, this is not a political forum. Please post the the REPUBLICAN NATIONAL AGENDA in the proper forum, the Smack area...
Yeah - Bruce - let's keep Pack, here, happy with his need to abuse honesty... move this over to the SMACK forum and I'll insert appropriate retort for the John Kerry Koolaid drinkers to read.

Pack is right, as well as anyone else who can discern the breadth of the ESPN - we tell fans what to think - agenda.. which now mirrors MSM mainstreammedia, btw) censorship tactics in America today and long before quite a few of the posters here were born, I might add. The Sports Media has been rampant with "let's get rid of the Packers" for quite some time.. How many times have we heard them asking if (No, demanding?) Favre will/should retire? He certainly never started that rant - it was invented by the MSM types....

So, seriously, lets avoid political discussions as most would need primers on the process - especially if they've never tried serving their Country.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. Another informative post Bruce. In my case I've been too busy on the golf course the last couple of days that I'm still trying to catch up on my reading all the posts.

I know it's a dirty job but some one has to do it, right? :wink:

The Bates hiring was critical. A good/great coach is more important than a good/great player. Players maturing this year is our next most critical need, we have a lot of second and third year players that should start coming through. If we can pick up more players that can help as we go along, great. In either case I really believe our defense will much better this year, say in the top half of the league.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were some rumblings in the LOCAL media LATE in train camp 3 yrs. ago that Driver MIGHT be a diamond in the rough. His success that yr. was even a bit of a surprise to the local media that were at practice everyday...so how is a Len Pasquerelli supposed to know if Cullen Jenkins, or Brady Popenga, or whomever is supposed to take off when he's responsible for covering 31 other teams? There are about 20 of those types of guys (players w/ potential) on every team, and again, the Len Pasquerellis can't spend 5 hours / day at all 32 team's practices.

So, the national media is almost forced to base their opinions on the **** pick ups...and be honest, you would too. What grabs your attention more...The Bears adding Lovie Smith to head Coach, and the Vikes adding some first rounders and former pro bowlers....or....the Seahawks adding Mr. X too Offensive coordinator, and the Rams adding getting some dbs in the 3-6th round?!? The Packers were the latter this offseason...not that that's bad...it just won't grab the headlines.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
There were some rumblings in the LOCAL media LATE in train camp 3 yrs. ago that Driver MIGHT be a diamond in the rough. His success that yr. was even a bit of a surprise to the local media that were at practice everyday...so how is a Len Pasquerelli supposed to know if Cullen Jenkins, or Brady Popenga, or whomever is supposed to take off when he's responsible for covering 31 other teams? There are about 20 of those types of guys (players w/ potential) on every team, and again, the Len Pasquerellis can't spend 5 hours / day at all 32 team's practices.

So, the national media is almost forced to base their opinions on the **** pick ups...and be honest, you would too. What grabs your attention more...The Bears adding Lovie Smith to head Coach, and the Vikes adding some first rounders and former pro bowlers....or....the Seahawks adding Mr. X too Offensive coordinator, and the Rams adding getting some dbs in the 3-6th round?!? The Packers were the latter this offseason...not that that's bad...it just won't grab the headlines.

Very good points -- like you I don't believe it is malicious, rather a product of needing to sell newspapers. The problem comes in when people start accepting these guys as experts and what they write the "truth."

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem comes in when people start accepting these guys as experts and what they write the "truth."
Couldn't agree more...speaking specifically about preseason predictions, the Sean Salisburys et al have as much of a chance of picking correctly as anyone else on this board. MAYBE they have a few more insider tips than we do, but that's all a wash when you can't predict the Drew Brees and Antonio Gates popping up, Ricky Williams retiring, random injuries, teams simply underperforming, etc.

OP
OP
B

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think people misundestood my point. I do not see Montgomery, Poppinga, or Campbell as significant moves in and of themselves. Rather they were a part of a series of moves that when added together resulted in significant moves to upgrade the defense -- the Packers had to work within the financial and draft position restraints that they faced. I guess I should have been clearer on this as several other people misunderstood my point in referrence to these guys too. Sorry

JavonWalker084 said:
Bruce said:
10+ reasons the following Media Myth is wrong

Members online

Latest posts