YOU CAN'T BLAME FAVRE FOR THIS CRAP!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Phil, the problems with the OL play extended back into last season so I'm not too sure that the loss of Marco and Mike was as big as people are making it out to be (especially given the play of Wahle in Carolina). The real problem with the Packers' O is the one playmaker, other than Favre, is gone. Without Walker, we simply aren't that good on O and that's what is hurting this team.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point - at this stage of the season, everyone is re-hashing commentary we're hearing since the first week (Detroit) on Sports TV. Losing Marco just has not translated into anything as disastrous as what Michael Irvin & Co would have you believe.....

In the last two years - one of the biggest losses the TEAM suffered was the loss of Ed Donatell. Certainly, gaining Jim Bates balances out that loss, but last year could have been better, ....much better...

It would have been nice to see Mike Wahle become a franchise player without actually designating him as one.... and then see him sign on for five more years with a re-structured contract - but Wahle was right, his family comes first.. and College is just around the corner for his kids...

Even so - pending Wahle had stayed, while Rivera left... not sure things would be any different.. especially with the O-Line trying to re-incorporate Flanagan... which hasn't worked yet.... and now, won't - I figure Flanagan to retire after this Season.

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To think that we can do better than 10-6 and past the 1st round by resigning Wahle and Rivera to contracts is ludicrious. Sherman made his stand by signing Hunt and Clifton to hefty deals. Throw in Johnson's free agent signing and where does that leave you with cap money? TT is faced with tough decisions but trying to match $11 million for Wahle and $9 million for Rivera would throw us into salary cap hell for the next few seasons. Granted they are better than what we have but they (Wahle & Rivera) are not the solution to the problem. As distasteful as it sounds, we take our lumps this season, move up through the draft, and let Green go if he wants more money. Remember that we got him for Fred Vinson, a bargain by any stretch of the imagination. If Favre retires in the meantime we fall further back and take his cap hit as well. Our window of opportunity closed with 4th and 26 or not going for it on 4th down 2 years ago in Philly. My hope is that Favre stays, we draft an impact player, Javon comes back healthy and the defense solidifies enough to make one more run. Not asking for much am I?

OP
OP
P@ck66

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't worry Beab...

i got this one...
SHERMAN SUCKS! :tables: :agree: :stop: :thumbsup:

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB, I disagree somewhat about Donatell. If you look at the D Atlanta is playing right now it doesn't resemble that Under 7 Slice crap that he ran when he was in GB. It looks an awful lot like Mora's scheme which is both simple and effective (both historically and currently). The problem with the D Donatell tried to run here is that you need a bunch of brilliant players to get it to work, and we simply didn't and still don't have that. The trend is to simple defenses. Even the guru himself, Bill Belichik, runs a fairly simple scheme it's just that his guys are so fundamentally sound that they rarely miss the opportunity to make a play when put in the correct position. Our D is becoming that type under Jim Bates and ATL's would have been the same no matter who Mora hired because they were running his simple scheme not Donatell's version of defensive football calculus.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:
Sorry, but this is no surprise at all to me. Go back and check my posts. I said months ago that not bringing back Marco Rivera and Mark Wahle was going to kill the Packers more than anyone wanted to admit. I said that the offense would miss a step and the defense is not nearly good enough to make up the difference. No trolling, flaming or even bragging. Just a little reminder from an outside observer.

well it's not like you went out on a limb there Phil..i mean you pretty much echoed 80% percent of the coverage on the Packers. i'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but you were probably speaking of the horrible year we would have during the previous offseason...and i don't even have to guess what you were predicting after our 1-4 start.

and damn your infernal cyan...i refuse to quote it!
Bull! It was more like 80% of you saying that these guys were not worth the money and the Packers did not need them. "We have two young linemen who are just as good for half the price" and "the Packers offense is the best in the league"
I said that they would suck this year and they DO suck this year. I said that they would loose to the Browns and some people said that this was just a "practice game" for the Packers and no way they loose at home to s**tty Cleveland. I said that Green would be ineffective and Favre would throw more picks due to the weak O line.
Get back to me and let me know when I am actually wrong about this season.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Philtration said:
Sorry, but this is no surprise at all to me. Go back and check my posts. I said months ago that not bringing back Marco Rivera and Mark Wahle was going to kill the Packers more than anyone wanted to admit. I said that the offense would miss a step and the defense is not nearly good enough to make up the difference. No trolling, flaming or even bragging. Just a little reminder from an outside observer.

well it's not like you went out on a limb there Phil..i mean you pretty much echoed 80% percent of the coverage on the Packers. i'm just taking a shot in the dark here, but you were probably speaking of the horrible year we would have during the previous offseason...and i don't even have to guess what you were predicting after our 1-4 start.

and damn your infernal cyan...i refuse to quote it!
Bull! It was more like 80% of you saying that these guys were not worth the money and the Packers did not need them. "We have two young linemen who are just as good for half the price" and "the Packers offense is the best in the league"
I said that they would suck this year and they DO suck this year. I said that they would loose to the Browns and some people said that this was just a "practice game" for the Packers and no way they loose at home to s**tty Cleveland. I said that Green would be inafective and Favre would throw more picks due to the weak O line.
Get back to me and let me know when I am actually wrong about this season.

you drinking again? i'm talking about the media coverage. every single point you made was said practically verbatim by the majority of sports journalists at one time or another. so thats like patting yourself on the back for reading the newspaper...thats not much of a prognostication so don't go crazy with the lotto picks just yet.

as far as the response you got from most Packer fans regarding your predictions, seems pretty natural to me. it's encoded in the genes of every diehard football fan (unless your club plays lousy ball consistently).

Phil-"Your teams gonna suck *** this year because yada yada yada..."

Packer Fan-"No we're not because yada yada yada..."

after 4 games, you and a boatload of sports writer's theories are coming to fruition. congrats! i don't know about you, but i ride this ***** till the wheels fall off(i think thats officially around 9 or 10 losses) so i wont be calling it in just yet. like i said in my previous post, i bet you were drinking cosmos with Ditka after our 1-4 start last year...you see where im going with this. of course we're not even close to the same team talent-wise as we were last season, but i see a whole lotta season left in a ****-poor division, so thats how im going to approach it.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard that - the Chicago Bears aren't exactly lightin' up the NFL this year either, right?

Well, there ya go - sounds like the pot callin' the kettle black...
Heck in the last decade, the only time the Bears went to the winner's circle was when they had Ted Washington and he ran away almost immediately... and bang, no more winning streak. all because of just ONE guy?

I'll think I'll stay... a Packers Fan!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts