Woodson to remain #1 PR....WHY?????

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Woodson remains No. 1 punt returner
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:10:07 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers CB Charles Woodson remains the team's No. 1 punt returner, for now, according to special teams coach Mike Stock. After rookie WR Greg Jennings returned a punt 27 yards on his only return, it wouldn't be surprising to see him take over the job. Stock said the plan was still to go with Woodson, who was supposed to get some opportunities but didn't because the defense couldn't stop the Cincinnati Bengals in the first half of their preseason game. "It doesn't change anything at this point in time," Stock said.

Packers | Team could try to trade a DT
Wed, 30 Aug 2006 06:08:26 -0700

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports because of the glut of defensive tackles, Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson might be willing to part with one in a trade if he can get the right compensation. Thompson said Tuesday, Aug. 29, that he did have a surplus of players for at least one position but wouldn't identify where that was.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now there's a conspiracy theory for you.

Maybe Woodson gave up all those third down conversions so he wouldn't have to field any punts in the first half.

He looked like he had an invisible air conditioner on his back.

On a serious note. I would think the guy has enough pride to not let something like that happen again ever.

His game is huge in whatever success this "D" will have and he knows it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The cynic in me would say that he is moved to punt returner FROM CB after the last preseason game. Maybe they WANT him to get hurt returning punts.

I really think Woodson will be OK this season. He better be or we are in deep ****.

~TheJoker~

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He'll be okay. I'm not worried about him. The only thing I can make out of that last showing is that in reality, he didn't have to give 100% in a preseason game, and if he gave close, it'd be near his aggressive game, and if he got hurt before the season even started, it would kill him, his fans, Packer fans, and the defense would never be the same.

I remember before Moss came to Oakland, they played the Vikes in preseason action. Moss scored two TDs on Woodson. In the regular season, Wood held him to 4 catches for 25 yards, zero TDs, for the first half and nothing/nada/zilch in the second.

He'll be okay.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the last promising young WR we had was injured on KR duty. Maybe it's not such a stupid decision to keep our best young player at one of our thinnest positions out of harm's way on the KR team.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
To be a smartass -- Because after seeing how poor he did against TJ at CB they figure they have to get SOME kind of production out of the guy!! heh

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in favor of getting the best players on the field as much as possible. If Woodson is clearly the best punt returner on this team, put him out there. I don't think a coaching staff should play scared. That's not the right mentality. Punt returns are important, and I don't think Woodson is any more likely get injured returning a punt than he is while playing defensive back.

However, if Woodson is no better, or only a little better, than one of the younger guys, at returning punts, put the younger guy out there.

I was disappointed at Woodson's showing on Monday night, but he may still be a good player for us. I never expected him to do much in the preseason. He did not even attend the OTA's. He's the kind of player who's bored by the preseason. Al Harris is usually the same, but in this game, Harris had some motivation because he was playing against Chad Johnson, who had been running his mouth a lot before the game.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone look good on returns yet. Hopefully someone will step up and take the job. Look how important Desmond Howard was during the SB year.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I haven't seen anyone look good on returns yet. Hopefully someone will step up and take the job. Look how important Desmond Howard was during the SB year.

Watch my video. Jennings did pretty decent. Almost broke one for the distance.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

Maybe the Packers are trying to recreate the past by having another former University of Michigan Wolverine returning punts. :joy:

Members online

Latest posts