Why would the Packers draft a safety who's afraid to hit.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our last strong safety loved contact. Look where he's at... on the PUP list.

Great point, if it means he shies away from a tackle or two but actually playes the whole season I'll take it. And the strip/pick he had was pretty impressive, has good instincts. I think he'll pleasantly surprise a lot of people.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I also going to have to give a +1 on wrapping up versus making a big hit. How many times do you see DBs in all football games go for a hit to take down the ballcarrier only to have the guy bounce off and runn for more yardage? I like the fact that Burnett wraps guys up. I think that it is important to give him a few more games before making any definite judgements about him though. I can't say I don't like what I see however. The upside to Burnett is very big and so far I think he is playing very well for a rookie who left college early and was made the starter in a complicated defense.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I just watched the 2nd half and didn't see Burnett whiff on anything. I'll check out the first half today. I think PackerBob see him come up to a pile and not throw himself into it when the guy is already surrounded by 5 packers and going down. Why do it? I saw Al Harris do that all the time, and nobody is on his ***.

I saw Burnett make a GREAT open field tackle. Not to mention the pick on another play. If he had gone for the "big hit" like PB wants, the guy could have juked him and gained a ton of yardage or even scored. I'd rather have a S who wraps up and doesn't let the guy bounce off and run for a TD.

I want Burnett healthy, not on IR because PackerBob likes seeing big hits. Go draft a Samoan safety if you want to see big hits (aka Troy Polamalu). Bob Sander is useless to his team with all his big hits. He injures himself every season.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Just watched the 1st half. Didn't see Burnett hold back on any play. Unless you want him to hit a guy after the whistle that is.

PackerBob is on crack and a troll. Go away VikingBob.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he gets some points for that. He made a bunch of us spend time that we will never get back looking at game footage trying to figure out what the hell he's talking about.

I can't say much about trolls, I did something naughty and immature myself. I woke up one morning and decided to go Bear Baiting, I picked a random Bears forum and decided to haunt the hell out of it using the SN "The Darkness". They are remarkably slow on the uptake over there, took em 3 months to finally catch me and give me the sack. I used to put silly things like "Pepper Whack" and "Cutler Wag" in all my posts among other things. The most anyone did then was holla back, "It's PEPPERS!!!" Then I started putting these funny little songs all over the place that were very much anti-Bears if anyone actually stopped to really read them. That went on for about 2 months until some dude with half a functioning brain read one of them and threw the mother of all hissy fits, catching the attention of several mods in the process. From then on I was exposed. They asked me why I was there, so I told them the lion told me to do it, but that made them think I was a Lions fan and they started bashing the Lions, fine with me! Somebody finally banned me and I feel bad for that poor Bears fan who I caused to have several meltdowns: "GOD! It's Peppers!!! PEPPERS!!!!" It wasn't the nicest thing to do and I haven't been trolling since.

So, see, PackerBob isn't so bad, is he! LOL!

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Sadly I am ready to do the same if he keeps it up. He's quickly exhausting what is left of my patience. I still don't understand why he's got beef with Burnett.

Sounds like a fan of Atari Bigby. Probably just a vike troll.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not for nothing but i saw burnett shy away from a couple of tackles.. and that was before i read this and was thinkin to myself the same thing.. idk if we should call him soft yet he is a rookie and adjusting to the game, but just I DID SEE HIM LET A BACK RUN RIGHT PAST HIM.. it seemed, like packerbob mentioned, that he did not want to hit him head on

Be careful what you say about Burnett my friend. There are a lot of green and gold kool aid drinkers around here who have a man crush on him. They may label you a Viking troll for life.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well he gets some points for that. He made a bunch of us spend time that we will never get back looking at game footage trying to figure out what the hell he's talking about.

I can't say much about trolls, I did something naughty and immature myself. I woke up one morning and decided to go Bear Baiting, I picked a random Bears forum and decided to haunt the hell out of it using the SN "The Darkness". They are remarkably slow on the uptake over there, took em 3 months to finally catch me and give me the sack. I used to put silly things like "Pepper Whack" and "Cutler Wag" in all my posts among other things. The most anyone did then was holla back, "It's PEPPERS!!!" Then I started putting these funny little songs all over the place that were very much anti-Bears if anyone actually stopped to really read them. That went on for about 2 months until some dude with half a functioning brain read one of them and threw the mother of all hissy fits, catching the attention of several mods in the process. From then on I was exposed. They asked me why I was there, so I told them the lion told me to do it, but that made them think I was a Lions fan and they started bashing the Lions, fine with me! Somebody finally banned me and I feel bad for that poor Bears fan who I caused to have several meltdowns: "GOD! It's Peppers!!! PEPPERS!!!!" It wasn't the nicest thing to do and I haven't been trolling since.

So, see, PackerBob isn't so bad, is he! LOL!

Thanks for the kind words Kitten. Just for the record I'm not a Viking troll. I'm a Packer fan, but just a little more critical than most. Just for the record I'm a huge Mathews, Rodgers, and Jennings fan. I also loved the Bulaga pick. But because I have concerns about Burnett's style of play and Barnett's size for a middle linebacker in the 3/4 defense the majority of the posters have labeled me a troll.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Kitten. Just for the record I'm not a Viking troll. I'm a Packer fan, but just a little more critical than most. Just for the record I'm a huge Mathews, Rodgers, and Jennings fan. I also loved the Bulaga pick. But because I have concerns about Burnett's style of play and Barnett's size for a middle linebacker in the 3/4 defense the majority of the posters have labeled me a troll.

I think I got you, I have some Uncles (Eagles fans) who in terms of being critical towards the players, makes you look like a saint. I lose my patience with them sometimes but I understand if they weren't so passionate about the team, they wouldn't bother getting upset when they mess up.

Word to the wise, just be careful what you say or how you say things. I reviewed the footage in question and couldn't see what you were talking about so I doubted you there. Keep in mind this is a Packer forum some are going to get their tails in an uproar if they think you are bashing players and will thus label you a troll. And if you are a troll, I hope I can take you at your word, you are the dang strangest troll I ever did see, and that is a compliment believe it or not!

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does my preference for a hard hitting physical strong safety make me a troll. I just want the Packers to be a more dominant intimidating team. If I wasn't a Packer fan why would I even care who their safety was.

A safety who can blow someone up is far over rated in this league. Hard hitting is great to watch yes, and it can break big plays. . .

But a safety who knows how to strip a ball and get the sure tackle is far better than someone who blows someone up.

When I watch Bob Sanders (which is rare because he just hurts himself) I cringe because I know it’s a matter of time before he hurts someone, but over his years in the league it’s been more that he hurts himself before he can cause injury to anyone else.

I also love Burnett as a player, he’s already making an impact on his 2nd full regular season game? Yeah, I’m ok with Burnett and his gameplay.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A safety who can blow someone up is far over rated in this league. Hard hitting is great to watch yes, and it can break big plays. . .

But a safety who knows how to strip a ball and get the sure tackle is far better than someone who blows someone up.

When I watch Bob Sanders (which is rare because he just hurts himself) I cringe because I know it’s a matter of time before he hurts someone, but over his years in the league it’s been more that he hurts himself before he can cause injury to anyone else.

I also love Burnett as a player, he’s already making an impact on his 2nd full regular season game? Yeah, I’m ok with Burnett and his gameplay.

But are you sure he is a sure tackler. While it's a given he isn't a hard hitting safety it was also mentioned several times by various scouts leading up to the draft that Burnett WASN'T a sure tackler and tended to shy away from contact. They did credit him for being a good ball hawking pass defender but I'm sorry the coments about his tackling weren't very flattering. I've seen a few of his games at Gergia Tech and I noticed his tendencies to avoid contact. I agree with you that he does have a nose for the ball and will be a good cover safety who get his fair share of picks. The problem I have is being he's a strong safety instead of a free safety he will need to be in the box at times to stop the run. I think he'll struggle at that.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Burnett to prove me wrong. I'm not hoping he fails just to justify my criticism. I admit I have big time issues with his game(aggressiveness and tackling) at this stage in his career. I have mentioned on several occasions that Mathews is my favorite player. That wasn't always the case. I remember last year at draft time how upset I was when Thompson traded a 2 and a pair of 3's to move into the 1st to select Mathews. I wasn't upset with Mathews because I liked him as a player but I thought Thompson gave up WAY TOO MUCH in the trade up. I had Mathews rated as a late 1st early 2nd and thought he or someone of his caliber would have been there at their original 2nd round slot and then they would still have 2- 3rd rounders left. I'm glad I was wrong and I hope I'm wrong about Burnett.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want Burnett to prove me wrong. I'm not hoping he fails just to justify my criticism. I admit I have big time issues with his game(aggressiveness and tackling) at this stage in his career. I have mentioned on several occasions that Mathews is my favorite player. That wasn't always the case. I remember last year at draft time how upset I was when Thompson traded a 2 and a pair of 3's to move into the 1st to select Mathews. I wasn't upset with Mathews because I liked him as a player but I thought Thompson gave up WAY TOO MUCH in the trade up. I had Mathews rated as a late 1st early 2nd and thought he or someone of his caliber would have been there at their original 2nd round slot and then they would still have 2- 3rd rounders left. I'm glad I was wrong and I hope I'm wrong about Burnett.
Much more sensible post.

This is a personal opinion about a guy, and not an all out attack against him.

As I said earlier, BIG difference between calling out someone's aggressivenes and tackling to calling him soft and afraid to hit.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clay was a late first rounder

I know that. At the time before the trade up into the 1st round I had 4 players on my wish list(Clay Mathews, Everette Brown, Connor Barwin and Ray Maualuga) and would be happy if any of them would be selected in the 2nd round. I had late 1st to early 2nd round grades on Mathews, Brown and Maualuga and a mid 2nd round grade on Barwin. I figured that 1 or 2 of them would fall through into the 2nd and the Packers would still have both 3rd rounders. The previous year Thompson traded his late 1sr rounder to the Jets and only received a 2nd and 4th. So I thought he was a little generous giving up a 2 and a pair of 3's At the time it seemed like a lot but knowing what we know now about Mathews I'm glad he made the trade.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hopefully we can hit another homerun in the 2011 draft at a position of need, we needed exactly what Clay has given us.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
a few others on the board should be making the same apology for doubting TT over clay too.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And some bloggers.

I wanted Everette Brown at that point, I must confess, but not once I doubted TT's move about moving up, even with that cost, and grabbing Matthews.

I dont remember wanting anyone in particular after we passed up Crabtree. I remember being hesitant and intrigued by them drafting a player that didnt start all that many games. I think I was so surprised we traded up I figured he had to be worth it in teds eyes.

OP
OP
P

packerbob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And some bloggers.

I wanted Everette Brown at that point, I must confess, but not once I doubted TT's move about moving up, even with that cost, and grabbing Matthews.

I'm glad it worked out with Mathews. Of the 4 on my wish list(Mathews, Brown, Barwin and Maualuga) I always thought Mathews would be the best fit(outside linebacker/pass rusher) for the Packers 3/4. I think the next best would have been Barwin. Most draft experts had Brown and Maualuga rated higher and some even had Everett Brown going to the Packers with their 9th choice in the 1st. Even though I had Brown and Maualuga rated high I had some reservations. There were some character issues with Mauluga and he also wouldn't project to outside linebacker. He's more of an inside backer, but a very good one. Brown was the highest rated of the 4 by most draftgeeks but for some reason, even though I liked him, I just couldn't get the Jamaal Reynolds comparison out of my mind.(undersized defensive end from Florida State.) Mathews had to be the guy. I know Ron Wolf use to say if you like a guy go up and get him no matter what it takes. A bold move by Thompson that is paying big dividends now and in the future.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad it worked out with Mathews. Of the 4 on my wish list(Mathews, Brown, Barwin and Maualuga) I always thought Mathews would be the best fit(outside linebacker/pass rusher) for the Packers 3/4. I think the next best would have been Barwin. Most draft experts had Brown and Maualuga rated higher and some even had Everett Brown going to the Packers with their 9th choice in the 1st. Even though I had Brown and Maualuga rated high I had some reservations. There were some character issues with Mauluga and he also wouldn't project to outside linebacker. He's more of an inside backer, but a very good one. Brown was the highest rated of the 4 by most draftgeeks but for some reason, even though I liked him, I just couldn't get the Jamaal Reynolds comparison out of my mind.(undersized defensive end from Florida State.) Mathews had to be the guy. I know Ron Wolf use to say if you like a guy go up and get him no matter what it takes. A bold move by Thompson that is paying big dividends now and in the future.
Actually, it wasn't a bolf move...
Mike McCarthy Press Conf. Transcript - Sept. 23

(Did you have any idea on draft day two years ago what kind of impact Clay could have?)
Well, anytime you pick someone in the first round, you want him to have an impact on your football team, and going to the 3-4, watching his athletic ability, his production on special teams, too. I feel like I answer this question the same way every time it’s asked, but it’s the facts that when Ted Thompson came back from his USC visit, and with so many excellent players coming out that year, he talked a bunch about Clay Matthews
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
. He thought he had a chance to be something special in the league, and it was no secret that come draft day we were going to step up and get him. That trip, that was back in the fall. That’s usually when Ted takes (trips). Ted’s out on the road right now, down in Texas. He’ll come back in at the end of the week and we’ll talk about players he’s seen and so forth, and he was real excited about Clay Matthews.

You see? TT had his eyes on CM3 since fall 2008, when he wasn't even a starter. He was dead set on getting this guy no matter what.

In this case, TT was simply a better evaluator than any other guy in the league.

Members online

Latest posts