Why put in rodgers and run the ball?

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
Even Favre said that he would do what's BEST for the packers and preparing for Aaron's take over is no longer in the future but imminent.

Aaron throws a very accurate nice ball. I left video in this forum of his throwing in colllege. It's a very unique high ball carry motion which I loved because it's different, and showed the genius of coach Jeff Tedford.

Aaron had a near 70% completion percentage in college. 70% and against top defenses. Against no.1 USC he had 23 straight completions. He throw right at the shoulder that only the receiver can get.

Mike McCarthy noticed that.

The reason McCarthy's holding the run more is that he's not trying to kill Aaron's confidence in garbage time and when teams can tee off on him.

Aaron's going to be awesomeguys. Just wait.

If I remember correctly, the knock on Rodgers was that his throwing style was not going to cut it in the pros. I think that his release was too slow or something. It wasn't an NFL style, and they would have to work on his mechanics.

College is college. But the pros are something completely different.

What if he goes in there and throws interceptions, will you guys be lenient?

When losing by that much, the masses are calling to see AR at that point, yeah I think he would be OK to toss it around and get some reps in, INT or not. Obviously people would rather see him do something positive but if he can learn something(s) from taking those reps and throwing a pick then so be it. We lost at that point anyway.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron's delivery is designed to have a quick release.
He was not knocked by the pro scouts for a slow release.

He was lauded for having the quickest release and strongest arm of his draft.

The knock on him was his coach....Jeff Tedford.

They were knockign him, because he brought in so many no.1 pick QBs and they haven't panned out in the NFL so to speak.

Let's see...

How that argument works.

1)David Carr - still improving and could still become a start
2)Trent Dilfer - won a superbowl
3)Joey Harrington - not a star, but a serviceable backup
4)Billy Volek - not a star, but a serviceable back up
5)Kyle Boller - not a star, but young enough to still become a starter

the only really bad result of his QBs was Akili Smith who laid an egg after having a big contract in Cincinnatti.

The knock on TEDFORD is a glass half/empty, half/full thing.

People knocked his coach because he brought in so many QBs to the pros who aren't stars.

He also is the ONLY coach who's BROUGHT IN SO MANY QBs INTO THE NFL.....

His track record of bringing QBs into the NFL in unmatched.

AARON RODGERS is his prized pupil

Aaron embodies everything Tedford preaches.

1)Flawless footwork/mechanics..perfect timing(which Mike Mccarthy loves about Aaron

2)High Ball carry called the "On the shelf" throwing motion. (Mike McCarthy and Jeff Tedford spoke about this at length at Aaron's pre-draft workout and McCarthy has no problem witH IT). The shelf motion is designed to keep the ball at the optimum throwing position and to eliminate windup and be able to throw a consistent quick release ball..totally designed for west coast offense qbs.

Aaron's the only pupil of Tedford who has totally embodied his philosophy to the tee.

The NFL scouts saw Aaron's strong arm and how he could hoist 50 yd passes almost effortlessly and even one workout..he got to throw to Jerry Rice when Jon Gruden worked him out (Gruden invited Rice).
Rice lauded Aaron and how easy he made the long passes look and how accurate he was.

McCarthy himself called Aaron a "gifted passer" (quoted by Rich Gannon in the NFL network)

He wanted Aaron in San Francisco, but was overruled by Mike Nolan/John YOrk of the 49ers who wanted Alex Smith because they didn't want to be seen as CHEAP by the San Francisco media (Alex wanted 60 million, and Aaron was asking for 40).

Alex is in the gutter in San Francisco and is back to his interception throwing ways. Alex's 40 yard plus balls flutter and are prone to interception. You'll see GB TOTALLY got the better end of the deal.

So going back to the throwing motion...
The off the shelf throwing motion enables a quick release and high ball carry to eliminate throwing errors, make it consistent.

(If you haven't noticed..I'm a former CAL player and have some inside info on Tedford)

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Regarding putting Aaron in and running the ball....

Take the Arizona Cardinals and Tennessee Titans situation.

Both those franchises had incumbent QBs but they both have rookie QBs waiting in the wings.

Both of those incumbent QBs have performed poorly.(Kerry Collins..who never really had a chance...and Kurt Warner..who's played too long)

Brett Favre threw more interceptions last year than either of those two QBs.

Brett is averaging 2 INTs a week this year.

He gives us the best chance to win..FOR NOW..
But if he starts performing like this for 1-2 more games, then gents...it is TIME TO MAKE A CHANGE.

It's not a defeatest attitude that I'm presenting. It's the changing of the guard attitude I'm presenting.

I'm all for Brett continuing to start..as long as he performs. If he is not performing and giving the team a chance to win..and hurting us w/interceptions and risky throws..then it's time to change.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the interception/confidence argument, but Brett needed reps to learn the value of patience and especially throwing the ball away. He threw a TON of interceptions his first 2 years or so, but the experience he gained made him a 3 time MVP...that's why i want to see AR THROWING the ball whenever he's in the game.

coloradopackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers hasn't done **** in the NFL yet.

It's a bit premature to crown him anything yet. Steve Young had to wait how many years behind Joe Montana?

Rodgers can wait for however long it takes until Brett Favre is ready to step down.

coloradopackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
Aaron's delivery is designed to have a quick release.
He was not knocked by the pro scouts for a slow release.

He was lauded for having the quickest release and strongest arm of his draft.

The knock on him was his coach....Jeff Tedford.

They were knockign him, because he brought in so many no.1 pick QBs and they haven't panned out in the NFL so to speak.

Let's see...

How that argument works.

1)David Carr - still improving and could still become a start
2)Trent Dilfer - won a superbowl
3)Joey Harrington - not a star, but a serviceable backup
4)Billy Volek - not a star, but a serviceable back up
5)Kyle Boller - not a star, but young enough to still become a starter

the only really bad result of his QBs was Akili Smith who laid an egg after having a big contract in Cincinnatti.

The knock on TEDFORD is a glass half/empty, half/full thing.

People knocked his coach because he brought in so many QBs to the pros who aren't stars.

He also is the ONLY coach who's BROUGHT IN SO MANY QBs INTO THE NFL.....

His track record of bringing QBs into the NFL in unmatched.

AARON RODGERS is his prized pupil

Aaron embodies everything Tedford preaches.

1)Flawless footwork/mechanics..perfect timing(which Mike Mccarthy loves about Aaron

2)High Ball carry called the "On the shelf" throwing motion. (Mike McCarthy and Jeff Tedford spoke about this at length at Aaron's pre-draft workout and McCarthy has no problem witH IT). The shelf motion is designed to keep the ball at the optimum throwing position and to eliminate windup and be able to throw a consistent quick release ball..totally designed for west coast offense qbs.

Aaron's the only pupil of Tedford who has totally embodied his philosophy to the tee.

The NFL scouts saw Aaron's strong arm and how he could hoist 50 yd passes almost effortlessly and even one workout..he got to throw to Jerry Rice when Jon Gruden worked him out (Gruden invited Rice).
Rice lauded Aaron and how easy he made the long passes look and how accurate he was.

McCarthy himself called Aaron a "gifted passer" (quoted by Rich Gannon in the NFL network)

He wanted Aaron in San Francisco, but was overruled by Mike Nolan/John YOrk of the 49ers who wanted Alex Smith because they didn't want to be seen as CHEAP by the San Francisco media (Alex wanted 60 million, and Aaron was asking for 40).

Alex is in the gutter in San Francisco and is back to his interception throwing ways. Alex's 40 yard plus balls flutter and are prone to interception. You'll see GB TOTALLY got the better end of the deal.

So going back to the throwing motion...
The off the shelf throwing motion enables a quick release and high ball carry to eliminate throwing errors, make it consistent.

(If you haven't noticed..I'm a former CAL player and have some inside info on Tedford)

That isn't an impressive list of QB's coming out of CAL, if you ask me.

They said the same stuff about Todd Marinovich when he first came into the NFL. Ryan Leaf too.

Rodgers hasn't proven anything in the NFL yet, so I would calm down with the benching Brett Favre talk on a Packer forum, if I were you, jr.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers should get his shot when he earns it i.e. by playing better than Brett in practice or if Brett is not able to go due to injury (not likely). No one should hand this guy anything.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Colorado pack fan.

Ahem..they did not ALL come out of CAL...
Only Boller and Rodgers came from CAL...

The others were from other schools.

The point was Tedford has taught at several different schools and got all those QBs into the NFL. No other college coach has done that.

That is how to look at what he has done as opposed to how many are stars. How many other coaches can even say they got guys INTO the NFL while coaching at different schools..let alone getting them to be stars in the NFL???

And yes Aaron has not done ***** in the NFL. But what is the point of brining that up. That is a given. He has not done **** because they have not given him a chance to.

As far as the benching favre thing and warning me as Jr because this is a packer forum.

That is exactly it. it is a PACKER FORUM.

I am a PACKER fan first..above all. If you are a FAVRE fan over being a PACKER fan then that is the problem. IF/when Favre is hurting the team more than helping..and you guys are saying "FAVRE no matter what" then you're not a true packer fan. YOu're a Favre fan.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes I got that news ..but it's still higher than most and enables him to get that quick release.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes it was perceived at mechanical, but it was a totally cool new kind of throwing motion..that may very well be the motion of the future.

Rumor is that when Jeff Tedford is ready to join the NFL coaching ranks, Aaron will be joining him on that team. Hopefully it's the packers!

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea but sometimes cool doesn't equal efficient. I only hope he becomes the first quality NFL starter made by Tedford.

I'm not sure if that many teams would be very interested in hiring Jeff Tedford, there is a perception in the league that his teachings wins games on Saturdays but loses them on Sundays.

Also, why would Rodgers want to sacrifice everything to join him if he becomes a coach, you think every Tedford QB in the league is going to play for him?

Why are you sold on Aaron Rodgers? I agree, he has potential.

In college he had flawless footwork, quick release, a decent arm (he kneeled on the 47 yard line and threw the ball through the uprights at the combine, Boller did the same at the 50 yard line), poise, showed great decision making and leadership (he became the starting QB at Cal when he was only 19!). He's also a great athlete.

I saw someone on a forum somewhere mentioned that he wasn't much of an athlete, that's pure ********, his athleticism was one of his strengths in college football.

He's the opposite of Favre, probably will be more like Bart Starr. If he's successful in the NFL we probably won't see many interceptions thrown, that's a good thing. They say his arm throwing downfield isn't strong enough, that might very well be true. However the offense run in Green Bay is a horizontal neo-conservative west coast offense, and Rodgers playing style fits right into this offense (So does Jennings).

It's all about getting players that fit your scheme, that's how the Colts, Steelers and Patriots have become successful.

Rodgers has yet to do anything real in the NFL, but as it is now, he has every chance to become a quality starter because he fits the offensive scheme.

He probably wouldn't become a flashy QB, but he would become a pure quality grinding QB that goes out there and does his job every Sunday.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I forgot to mention,

Aaron Rodgers bases much of his plays on the tightends, he loves to throw to the tightend, so we better get a pair of great tightends!

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4thand26 said:
Rodgers should have played more at the end of last season. Then, he gets some addition playing time in the blowouts this year, and then next year, when possibly the rest of the team is maturing, so is he.

totally agree with you. as much as i respect favre & hate to see the day he retires, i just don't see the harm i letting AR throw some passes & get a few snaps in.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sold on Rodgers because he had the same precision and fearlessness I saw from Montana/Brady in the bay area.

The way Aaron went into southern cal and beat USC once and then almost beat them twice sold me.

he made 23 straight completions against their top ranked linebackers and threw the ball right at the shoulder of his receivers where the defender couldnt' get it. That's uncanny.

I feel that accuracy will translate into the NFL. If he gets time to bond w/Jennings and the other receivers we'll see that kind of accuracy.

Well about his downfield throwing, he can throw it 50plus yards w/ease and his ball doesn't flutter like Alex Smith does past 40.

Aaron's not as strong armed as Favre, but it's accurate and has zip on it.

Yes he'll be more Bart Starr-ish than Favre is.

I hope when he does get famous in GB that he keeps sporting that Tom Selleck moustache..that was hilarious.

Regarding Tedford. Jon Gruden and Tedford spoke at length about his offensive strategies and the pro translation of the same offense. McCarthy and Tedford spoke about it too (they spoke about this because they wanted to know how much was Tedford's teaching and how involved Aaron was involved in the plays..to see how much Aaron was really doing and wasn't having it done for him from Tedford)

Tedford hired a new offensive coordinator named Mike Dunbar who ran a spread offense at Northwestern that put up big number.

He's combining his offense w/the spread to create a hybrid attack that has caused problems for a ton of Sat teams(w/the exception of Tennessee)

This hybrid attack is being used w/the Atlanta Falcons w/Michael Vick(alhough he's too dumb to run it right).

Dunbar's offense mixed w/the west coast offense is a new age offensive attack that Tedford is mixing up.

His main nemesis in college was NOrm CHow and the USC offense. To see if Tedford's offense will work..we'll have to see how Chow's and Tennessee's pans out. Also Chow and Tedford's offense has protection packcages to withstand the elaborate defenses in the NFL.

Guys like Steve Spurrier did not have that in his offense. That's why the pro defenses were laughing at Spurrier's offense when it came into the NFL

Tedford isn't that pompous as Spurrier and is more cerebral.

I feel Tedford is the nextgen Bill Walsh and Aaron Rodgers was the prize pupil who could make it translate on the field. That's why I think they would succeed.

Hmmm..Cal's great RB Marshawn Lynch is coming to the NFL in two years...

If he got drafted by GB and Mike McCarthy doesn't pan out then..

who knows....

Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
I just hope we draft a TE or sign Jerramy Stevens..

and I absolutely loved that moustache, it was great!

I've never met a man who was so enthusiastic about expressing his feelings on the features of another man.

Good for you, deviating from the social norm. :p

However, really good point on the TE's.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will get every opportunity to win the starting QB position for the Packers once Favre is out (injured or retired) regardless of his delivery, accuracy or poise in the pocket. That's because he was a #1 draft pick of the current GM. Their futures are intertwined, if one fails so does the other.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts