Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2022?

Who Will Aaron Rodgers Play For In 2022?

• No One, He'll Retire

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Denver Broncos

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • New Orleans Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Bay Packers

Votes: 46 61.3%
  • Pittsburgh Steelers

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Seattle Seahawks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Las Vegas Raiders

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Another NFL Team

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Miami Dolphins

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Reaction score
The Packers would be absolutely nuts to "gut the roster" and keep Rodgers. Why make the team worse than the one that lost their first game of the playoffs AND watch Rodgers walk away next year (unless we tag him) and get nothing in return.

I actually think Rodgers statement of not wanting to be a part of a rebuild was a very calculated one on his part, big surprise. He knows that it would be very difficult for the Packers to keep both him and Adams and enough other pieces that fit his statement of it not being a rebuild. The more and more I think about this, the more I think he is gone.

The other thing to keep in mind is the Packers aren't the only one in cap hell. Most teams plans for 2022 were made pre-covid and not knowing that the cap would be drastically lower than planned. Teams reacted last year to the reduced cap by pushing more money out, can they do that again this year? This is going to create even more bargains for cap fat teams than we saw last year. There are going to be a lot of middle of the road guys, not making nearly as much as they thought they were going to.
I think you are exactly right. Inflation is taking its course. The only thing rated worse than our #31 ranked negative Cap situation is our negative scoring ST unit.

Would it be possible to get a 1 year bonus rental of Teddy Bridgewater through a Denver trade? Can a trade partner (Denver) agree to resign him and then swap him and eat his minimal contract as a trade perk?
Thus giving the Packers a financial incentive and a viable veteran option at QB to pair with Love? It would give us some flexibility at QB at a low to zero cost and we could give Love 1 more season of growth.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can a trade partner (Denver) agree to resign him and then swap him and eat his minimal contract as a trade perk?
Good question. I think the Texans ate $3M of Cobb's salary when they traded him to us for a 6th rounder, so I assume Denver could do the same with Teddy Bridgewater.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good question. I think the Texans ate $3M of Cobb's salary when they traded him to us for a 6th rounder, so I assume Denver could do the same with Teddy Bridgewater.

He might agree to a contract restructuring to allow for a trade.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bridgewater is an UFA, anyone can grab him... and I doubt Denver would waste a tag on him just to extract some trade-value on him. I could be wrong, though.

Reaction score
Bridgewater is an UFA, anyone can grab him... and I doubt Denver would waste a tag on him just to extract some trade-value on him. I could be wrong, though.
Probably a low probability I suppose. My thinking was along the lines if we take the path without Rodgers. We need to have a veteran backup and Teddy would be one of the viable choices anyway. Obviously we could throw Love onto the stage or we could give him 1 more season as our #2 and he’s still under his Rookie deal again in 2023. Bridgewater has become that short term contract QB that can Win some games and still give us a chance to be competitive, but without the financial obligation. Obviously he has ties to Denver so there’s a link there and that would be a player they could easily apply in trade as they’d have their QB. Even if they had to bump him to $4-5Mil and send him to GB as a Valentine’s gift.

I’d really like the idea of holding Love 1 more season to evaluate him and solve some Cap obligations in the meantime. If we need a QB draft one on 2023 and we’ve got ‘23-‘26 on a Rookie deal.

I’m just throwing some ideas at the wall.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Probably a low probability I suppose. My thinking was along the lines if we take the path without Rodgers. We need to have a veteran backup and Teddy would one of the choices anyway.
I would rather just hand the reins over to Love and let him run with them. Paying even more than $2M on a backup QB that isn't going to make a difference on an at best .500 team seems silly in a rebuild and cap strapped time. Draft another QB that looks like a bit of a project in the 4th or 5th and let him and Benkert compete for the #2 spot.

I am one that wants a Veteran backup usually, but only when the team is a contender for a SB. Then it makes sense to have that insurance.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would rather just hand the reins over to Love and let him run with them. Paying even more than $2M on a backup QB that isn't going to make a difference on an at best .500 team seems silly in a rebuild and cap strapped time. Draft another QB that looks like a bit of a project in the 4th or 5th and let him and Benkert compete for the #2 spot.

I am one that wants a Veteran backup usually, but only when the team is a contender for a SB. Then it makes sense to have that insurance.

Correct which is why I’d love to be in a position to want Carr here in 2023

Reaction score
I would rather just hand the reins over to Love and let him run with them. Paying even more than $2M on a backup QB that isn't going to make a difference on an at best .500 team seems silly in a rebuild and cap strapped time.
It does. But You missed the point. We wouldn’t pay anything for him. Denver would ;) Our total active QB output $ would he $3.3mil (for both).

That scenario was also an option to use Teddy as our primary to give Love another season. He wouldn’t be our backup, he’d be a starter and he’d be zero cost

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does. But You missed the point. We wouldn’t pay anything for him. Denver would ;)
That still seems like a waste of time to me. Bridgewater is a known quantity… I would rather spend the time rebuidling and trying out several young guys and hope that by the time you manage to rebuild the team to a respectable level that you have found the guy you want to move forward with. Yeah maybe Bridgewater wins a couple more games short term, but he does nothing for the future.

Reaction score
That still seems like a waste of time to me. Bridgewater is a known quantity… I would rather spend the time rebuidling and trying out several young guys and hope that by the time you manage to rebuild the team to a respectable level that you have found the guy you want to move forward with. Yeah maybe Bridgewater wins a couple more games short term, but he does nothing for the future.
You’re assuming Love is prepared to start. I wasn’t

I’m ok with bringing in some novice projects, but definitely not to start

We’re not on the same page. That’s ok. Im just tossing ideas in my head. I didn’t make any calls yet I’ll let you know what they say :tup:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You’re assuming Love is prepared to start. I wasn’t

I’m ok with bringing in some novice projects, but definitely not to start

We’re not on the same page. That’s ok. Im just tossing ideas in my head. I didn’t make any calls yet I’ll let you know what they say :tup:
I’m assuming nothing of the kind… i’m saying I don’t care if he is … and don’t want to waste any starts on a known quantity just to win a couple of meaningless games.

Reaction score
I’m assuming nothing of the kind… i’m saying I don’t care if he is … and don’t want to waste any starts on a known quantity just to win a couple of meaningless games.
Ah. Ok. I’ll play.

So if Love doesn’t start. ..

Who exactly is the starting QB for the Packers in your scenario?

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is gone in 2022, It's Love. Only reason to bring in a journeyman QB is as a backup in case Love goes down and the team is doing good and you don't want to lose pace. If it is a QB on their 1st contract (like Lock) fine. 2022 would be all about Love.

Let him run with it and try to get as much draft capital in 2023 in case he doesn't work out. And if he doesn't work out, be prepared to move on from him quickly and not make it the 4 year Mitch Trubisky experience. To me, seems the days of QBs taking 3-4 years to round into form is a thing of the past. Most of the QBs seem to pop by year 2 nowadays and, if they don't seems like teams move on.

Reaction score
If Rodgers is gone in 2022, It's Love. Only reason to bring in a journeyman QB is as a backup in case Love goes down and the team is doing good and you don't want to lose pace. If it is a QB on their 1st contract (like Lock) fine. 2022 would be all about Love.

Let him run with it and try to get as much draft capital in 2023 in case he doesn't work out. And if he doesn't work out, be prepared to move on from him quickly and not make it the 4 year Mitch Trubisky experience. To me, seems the days of QBs taking 3-4 years to round into form is a thing of the past. Most of the QBs seem to pop by year 2 nowadays and, if they don't seems like teams move on.
That was pretty much exactly my very first scenario (in those where Rodgers is sent packing).
As I said earlier, it gives us a good look at Love and if he improves it would likely be seen by seasons end. If he spirals you got a top 10 draft selection. That doesn’t include any draft capital acquired in traded at QB, WR etc..
In that scenario GB would have much of their Cap woes resolved by 2023-2024 and come out smelling like a rose with lots of draft stock in those 2 seasons (an assumption that Rodgers doesn’t retire)

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ah. Ok. I’ll play.

So if Love doesn’t start. ..

Who exactly is the starting QB for the Packers in your scenario?
We are approaching this from different points of view. I didn’t say Love couldn’t start. I’m just not counting on him succeeding. If he doesn’t …. we move on to the next one…. but we keep looking for the real deal. I see no benefit to wasting time starting someone like Bridgewater. I get it if you want to field a somewhat competitive team to win a few games here and there while the team rebuilds, but as I said, I have no interest in half measures. I’m not at all enthusiastic about the team’s immediate future, but In this league, it all starts with the quarterback, and we will only know if we found him if he plays.

Reaction score
We are approaching this from different points of view. I didn’t say Love couldn’t start. I’m just not counting on him succeeding. If he doesn’t …. we move on to the next one…. but we keep looking for the real deal. I see no benefit to wasting time starting someone like Bridgewater. I get it if you want to field a somewhat competitive team to win a few games here and there while the team rebuilds, but as I said, I have no interest in half measures. I’m not at all enthusiastic about the team’s immediate future, but In this league, it all starts with the quarterback, and we will only know if we found him if he plays.
I see where you are coming from. My Angle was simply getting a bonus traded player in the Denver scenario. That was the scenario post you responded to.
We’d have him at zero cost (them flipping the bill in a Rodgers swap). We’d have him at our disposal and it gives us 2 legitimate options to look at for $3.3m. I’m interested in Winning games at someone else’s expense in the meantime our Cap gets corrected.
It’s no big deal it’s probably not going to happen anyway. Teddy probably hates You and me (GB) as much as you hate the idea of him. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont have any clue who this guy is but he's hearing what ive been saying...Ridiculous 4 year extension coming for Rodgers to keep him in GB to finish his career where it started... along the way becoming the longest tenured qb to one team in NFL history... a record ben rothlisberger currently holds

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220205-053742_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220205-053742_Chrome.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think Rodgers will sign for anything less than a “contract out” in 2025 (playing through 2024). But in reality if I’m Rodgers I’m wanting to play through 2025 (42 yrs old) or 4 seasons because this will be Rodgers last opportunity to get a 3+ years type deal, so he’ll shoot for 4 years, but may bend on the average annual to get there.

Its gonna be 4 years no matter what for salary cap purposes...4 plus the 1 hechas remaining allows them to spread the money out over the maxium allowed 5 years

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

If Jordan Love does not earn the starting job in 2022, assuming Rodgers is gone, then Gutekunst & Murphy better circle the wagons. The perception is that Love is their guy and you don't use a first round pick on a career backup.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Correct which is why I’d love to be in a position to want Carr here in 2023
You are the draft guru....who is Carr? I looked up 2023 draft prospects and saw that one site was predicting as many as 7 QB's going in the 2023 first round, but I didn't see a Carr. Either way, 2022 might be the year to have a bad season for any team that is in the market for a quality QB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I see where you are coming from. My Angle was simply getting a bonus traded player in the Denver scenario. That was the scenario post you responded to.
Personally, I would rather have an extra pick or a special teams player thrown into the deal instead of Teddy B. If this was last year and we were trading King to the Broncos, then a Vet QB backing up Rodgers makes sense. If Rodgers is gone, its time for some Love and you need to give him most of one season to see where he goes with it.

I hope I am wrong, but once Rodgers is gone, I just don't think the Packers are going to be a very good team for at least a few years, until they find an above average QB. Hopefully, that is Love, but if it isn't, keep looking.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are the draft guru....who is Carr? I looked up 2023 draft prospects and saw that one site was predicting as many as 7 QB's going in the 2023 first round, but I didn't see a Carr. Either way, 2022 might be the year to have a bad season for any team that is in the market for a quality QB.

I was speaking to having a veteran then, Derek Carr

Members online

Latest posts