1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Where are all the Finley critics now ?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by NJPackfan., Nov 19, 2012.

1. NJPackfan.

NJPackfan. Banned Banned

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    The same place the James Jones critics are ?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Boy is this going to be an interesting thread. :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +300 / 39 / -1
    Packer Fan Since:
    Obviously they don't want to rag on him if they don't have too. But come on it's Finley, give it time.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,377 / 86 / -17
    Packer Fan Since:
    Sorry, I just have to say it. They are busy backing Crosby.;)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +727 / 15 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    I'm not a Finley critic, but a 3 catch/1 TD game and all of the sudden it's YOTTO again? It was a great run and catch on that last pass to him, but he could easily be back to being invisible next week. He didn't lose favor in 1 game, he isn't going to get it back in 1 either.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  6. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,232 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    So long as Rodgers puts some faith in him, and MM puts in some plays for him against these 2-deep zones and press coverages our opponents have grown fond of, he can continue to turn it around. Cobb and Finley should be the weapons of choice as 2012 defenses make shutting off the deep sidelines job #1.

To repeat for the umpteenth time...the drops have been troublesome, but exaggerated. Nelson has more drops this season than Finley, depending on which source you consult.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rodgers in the House

Rodgers in the House Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 20 / -2
    The key is Consistency. Until I see that very concept on the field he will always suck.
  8. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +612 / 5 / -0
    Right here. Nice job catching the balls thrown to you yesterday, Jermichael.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +612 / 5 / -0
    And how many times more targets? lol
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. 12theTruth

12theTruth Guest

Ratings Received:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The only hater club that I belong to is the former QB of the Pack. Jermichael Finley has so much talent and could be doing so much more its maddening. The performance yesterday should be close to the norm maybe with a few more receptions and yards.

That is the hard pill to swallow. But I don't expect too much production from Finley going forward as Starks and then later Benson will get many carries and the Cobb/Nelson/Jennings trio will dominate the reception category when/ if Jennings makes it back.
  11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,232 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    We're not talking factors here. 13 more targets for Nelson...63 vs. 50. One more drop for Nelson equates to the same drops per target.

A double standard has been applied due to Finley's mouth. Stupid comments don't count as drops, technically speaking.;)

It is dumbfounding that he has not grasped the simple reality that the less he talks about the ways and means of his All World QB, the more likely he'll see the ball thrown to him.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +612 / 5 / -0
    I'm not a numbers guy, so I haven't looked at that stat, and it actually surprises me, which makes me guilty of that double standard (no, I don't care). I'm surprised Jordy has only 13 more targets than Finley and also one more drop. Difference is, one of them is a professional and a gamer, and one of them is not. There's no stat for that.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Poppa San

Poppa San Who me? Staff Member Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +812 / 27 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    What did Jim Del Gaizo ever do to tic you off to this extant?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Trapped In Vikingville

Trapped In Vikingville Trapped

Ratings Received:
    +145 / 2 / -1
    I'm right here. He had a "pretty good game", that's it, "a pretty good game". As far as I'm concerned, his play still has to catch up to his mouth. I'm happy he could contribute and I'd like to see him do it again next game.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. GeeDogWarrior

GeeDogWarrior 0 - 0

Ratings Received:
    +137 / 2 / -1
    I tolerate his personality and "Swag" stuff...
    I love what his Talents give our offense - He's a big Dynamic Toy that Rodgers & Coach can use to slice up teams.
    But a lot of that depends on him showing up and doing his job - dude needs to step it up and stuff.
    A Rocket Launcher is pointless if all it does is shoot duds/malfunctions.
  16. LZ13

LZ13 Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +86 / 6 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I am right here. Still here. Finley needs to learn, more than anything else, how to be a team player, rather than a "me" player. When he does, I will jump off the Finley Critic wagon. His comments and talk are destructive to not only himself but the whole team - and that is why Jordy gets a pass when Finley does not. Jordy has had a championship attitude from Day 1. I think it is no coincidence that we win a SB when Finley goes down and Jordy and other team players takes up the slack.

An example from http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ael-finley-hurt-by-inconsistency-analyst-says "It's out of my hands," Finley told ESPN Milwaukee's Jason Wilde. "If I could throw myself the ball -- hike it, throw it up in the air and go get it -- I'd do it every single play. But (Rodgers) has got guys that he's got chemistry with, guys he's on with right now. . . "
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. SpartaChris

SpartaChris Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +944 / 25 / -9
    So, what, he catches his first TD pass since week one and we're suddenly supposed to forget how he's disappeared the other 8 games this season?

If he steps his game up and shuts his mouth the rest of the season, I'll get on board. Until then, he's still just a guy who happened to have one good game. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,232 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    That's all fine and good. Torch Finley for unprofessional yapping. I won't disagree.

Argue that he's not earning what he's paid. It would be an easy argument.

Driver had 8 drops on 45 catchable balls last season according to Pro Football Focus, for a 17.8% drop rate, 6th. worse in the league, much worse than Finley this season. But since Driver is a fine gentleman and an accomplished dancer, he didn't draw a fraction of the abuse Finley has drawn this season over drops.

STATS Inc. has Jimmy Graham leading the league in drops with 9 on 77 targets, a lot worse drop rate than Finley. Most of the complainers would be shocked to hear that Finley's drop count according to STATS, Inc. is 5. "NO, NO, NO...it must be more than that!", the complainers say. That's because many fans don't like the cut of his jib, so when he gets his hands on the ball, regardless of what the defender happens to do, it counts as a drop in their eyes.

I'm big on eye tests, but stats help keep things in perspective. I'm not arguing that Finley is having a good year, far from it; I'm arguing that it's not as bad as the haters want to make it.

And as I said in an earlier post, he's probably got some good football in front of him, but if MM is not going to put him in the progressions it might be in the interest of all concerned for him to move on. $7.5 mil is too much for a decoy, no matter how effective the decoy might be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Cant say it any better
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,232 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    There should be some kind of gap between "inconsistent" and "sucking". If not, then you should have been labeling Driver "sucking" at any point over the past 3 seasons. Once again, performance is colored by the junk coming out of Finley's mouth.
  21. longtimefan

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    DD never opened his mouth like Fin....I dont think DD every had key drops like Fin..

My opinion is Finley SUCKED for most of the games this year....We needed him in games and he failed to do his job....To catch the football...

He finally came through vs Det..

ONE GAME... If he can do it game after game rest of the year, then he wont suck..

How about Mason? Is he sucking right now? Yup he is...But we know he can be better..

Drops---

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232 Jordy andFinley have 5 drops each

Jordy has been targeted 63 times compared to 50 targets..So more chances equal more of a chance to have more drops..I can't recall every drop for both..But to me seems like Finley has dropped more of the EASY ones..

This is interesting too....Finley only catches 64% of balls tossed to him .....Jordy 68%
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. longtimefan

Ratings Received:
    +2,517 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    So we didnt get on DD for drops? Maybe it was his last 10+ years of doing GREAT for the team..

One bad season can be over looked, or are you saying that no matter who it is, they can never have a bad year?

We dont have Jimmy on the Pack, so for me, I could care less if he has 100 drops..However Jimmy drops one every 8.5 passes, Finley every 10 passes..

Really not sure why your trying to defend Fin..Some think he sucks right now and needs to zip his lip and catch....Once he can do that, then people will be okay with him yapping..
  23. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,232 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    I've read other sources that have Nelson with one more drop, I just can't find them at the moment. STATS Inc. tends to grade easier than other sources, such as Pro Football Focus. Drops are not an official stat; everybody has their own subjective method of doing it.

Regardless, the point was not to analyze who among Driver, Nelson and Finley have been the better receiver this season, or the last 3 seasons (though clearly Driver comes up short, and not just because of drops). The point is that the overwhelming criticism of Finley is not borne out by the stats; the criticism is largely colored by his personality. By your own stats, 64% for Finley means he sucks; 68% for Nelson makes him a cherished member of the team. Once again, the gap is not justified.

All I'm trying to say is that if you leave aside for the moment Finley's mouth and salary, he doesn't actually suck, or shall we say his sucking has been exaggerated.

And so far as Driver is concerned, I see no problem or inconsistency in saying he had a number of great years with the Packers followed by 3 sucking years. It is OK to say both if it happens to be true.

Maybe Finley should go get himself diagnosed with bi-polar or some other manic disorder, which certainly would not be a stretch. Then his jibber-jabber might be less offensive and the sucking quotient would go down.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +1,232 / 60 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Again, you missed the point. Saying that the criticism is overstated is hardly a defense, more like damning with faint praise.

To the point, notice how you followed "sucks right now" immediately with "zip his lip"?

The point happens to be that the suckyness of his play has been overstated because of his lip.

The longest threads on this forum have been of the Finley variety, predominated by "cut him" comments. It's all too black and white.
  25. PackMan13x

PackMan13x Cheesehead

Ratings Received:
    +108 / 4 / -3
    Packer Fan Since:
    Does he really need to zip his lips? What has he said? They need to work on chemistry? That was true, who cares? The mouth is just as, if not more exaggerated than the drops from the haters. You know who sucks? Missin Crosby, that's who sucks. I remember Bruce Irvin embarrassing us until Finley started chipping him and laying him on his ***. If he's not getting a ton of looks he's not going to put up a ton of numbers. He hasn't had great stats this year, but he hasn't been terrible, either.