Vikings

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know what I like best about this post?
You say the fact that you were the worst pass defense team in the NFL doesn't really count but then you say the Packers rush yards a game does count. Let me remind you Grant only started 7 games and had much less carries than AP, we will be leaning on him more next year and he will start from the get-go so that is not accurate just like you said about your pass defense. You talk about our rush game suffering? Well you managed to do it with a worse QB than us and we have a top 3 OL so hmmm I think our rush yards will go up rather than down. As for AP because he is the only weapon on the field I think his rush yards will go down even if he is just a gem to watch. Now that EVERYONE knows AP will get the ball 4/6 tries, there is no way he gets +1500 yards. I am just going by your same theory that we will have a worse running game because we wont pass as well IMO.
Also Sidney Rice DID open my eyes with his 396 yards and 4 TD's :D
If thaat is your best Wide you need help, like Bernard Berrian wait...oh he has a worse QB now :cry: .

Hmmm.....
1. I didn't say that being worst in the league in pass yards per game given up didn't count. I said that the number of attempts affected that number, that we were average instead of worst when in came to YPA, so therefore we are closer to improving that YPG number than most people think.

2. I didn't factor in the myriad of changes the Packers had at RB because I wasn't familiar with them. I didn't feel like talking out of my *** (it gives me bad breath), so I didn't say anything. If grant can continue his form, the Packers could see a lift in their run game. However, defenses will key more on the run game unless Rodgers can prove to be as effective as Favre. Where the balancing point lies between those two forces is anyone's guess. (My theory isn't that you "will have a worse running game because [you] wont pass as well". My theory is that your running game will suffer because defense won't respect your passing game as much. There is a difference.)

3. So we managed to have a better run game than you last year despite 'having a worse QB and you having a better line'. How does that translate into Grant being better than AD and CT?

4. Sidney Rice was #6 in YPG and #2 in Rec TDs among rookies. He had the second highest receiving yardage on the team, and led the team in receiving TDs. He played better than was expected of him, and will be a solid #2 . He was a bright spot in a passing game that was pretty much crap. Those catches that he made in the videos were impressive, and I fully expect him to have a very good season this year.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
Profizzle99 said:
You say the fact that you were the worst pass defense team in the NFL doesn't really count but then you say the Packers rush yards a game does count. Let me remind you Grant only started 7 games and had much less carries than AP, we will be leaning on him more next year and he will start from the get-go so that is not accurate just like you said about your pass defense. You talk about our rush game suffering? Well you managed to do it with a worse QB than us and we have a top 3 OL so hmmm I think our rush yards will go up rather than down. As for AP because he is the only weapon on the field I think his rush yards will go down even if he is just a gem to watch. Now that EVERYONE knows AP will get the ball 4/6 tries, there is no way he gets +1500 yards. I am just going by your same theory that we will have a worse running game because we wont pass as well IMO.
If thaat is your best Wide you need help, like Bernard Berrian wait...oh he has a worse QB now :cry: .

LOL. You know what I like best about your post? The fact that you seem to honestly believe that Grant will do better than AD this year. I don't even know what to say. For that matter, it probably doesn't matter what anybody else says... you have already made up your mind.

Hope and optimism are one thing. Ridiculous expectations are something else. I hope you don't come crashing down to earth too hard...
AP might do better then Grant........but then again, thats ALL the Vikings have. We have Grant, and then our WR's which are on a whole different plane then what the Vikings have.
So......Peterson will probably run for more yards......but the Packer's O will be balanced, and be WAY more productive. And thats all that matters. Ask the Lions and Barry Sanders......look at how many SB trophies a great RB and nothing else gets you.

Ask Walter Peyton how many SB trophies a great RB and a great defense gets you. :wink:

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Profizzle99 said:

Hmmm.....
1. I didn't say that being worst in the league in pass yards per game given up didn't count. I said that the number of attempts affected that number, that we were average instead of worst when in came to YPA, so therefore we are closer to improving that YPG number than most people think.

2. I didn't factor in the myriad of changes the Packers had at RB because I wasn't familiar with them. I didn't feel like talking out of my *** (it gives me bad breath), so I didn't say anything. If grant can continue his form, the Packers could see a lift in their run game. However, defenses will key more on the run game unless Rodgers can prove to be as effective as Favre. Where the balancing point lies between those two forces is anyone's guess. (My theory isn't that you "will have a worse running game because [you] wont pass as well". My theory is that your running game will suffer because defense won't respect your passing game as much. There is a difference.)

3. So we managed to have a better run game than you last year despite 'having a worse QB and you having a better line'. How does that translate into Grant being better than AD and CT?

4. Sidney Rice was #6 in YPG and #2 in Rec TDs among rookies. He had the second highest receiving yardage on the team, and led the team in receiving TDs. He played better than was expected of him, and will be a solid #2 . He was a bright spot in a passing game that was pretty much crap. Those catches that he made in the videos were impressive, and I fully expect him to have a very good season this year.
I did not say Grant was better than AP because he is not, I do think Grant will have a better year overall but not by talent. There are two big red lights placed on Grant to some extent, but especially AP. Because you have no passing game, teams will realize how good AP is and blitz every down or put two people on him. His numbers are bound to decrease if you are smart you realize that he is your ONLY weapon on offense. Grant is not our ONLY weapon in fact he is one of 4 threats in my opinion. Just look at C. Williams. AP is a great player on a very bad team, he will make things happen and have an amazing yards per carry but you cannot expect him to do better when he will be on everyones radar. Again...This is MY theory. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not say Grant was better than AP because he is not, I do think Grant will have a better year overall but not by talent.

Seriously. Take a step back and look at your statement. I know you know better than that.

The Packers offense will surely be more productive than the Vikings offense. No argument there. But thinking that Grant will have a better year overall than AD is silly.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Profizzle99 said:
I did not say Grant was better than AP because he is not, I do think Grant will have a better year overall but not by talent.

Seriously. Take a step back and look at your statement. I know you know better than that.

The Packers offense will surely be more productive than the Vikings offense. No argument there. But thinking that Grant will have a better year overall than AD is silly.

You do know your coach is an idiot though, right. If anyone can stop AP's production, it's that guy.

Wasn't there a game where AP had like 150 yds in the first half, then only got 2 touches in the 2nd half? And wasn't there a game where he didn't even start? Correct me on that, I'm sure I'm off on something.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, as much as I like AP, Trom is right.

AP will get going and start having a spectacular game and Childress will bench him. Childress can't gameplan and doesn't belong in the NFL as a Head Coach.

Seriously, I'd like to see AP lead the NFL in rushing yards. He really is fun to watch. But the guy holding him back is not the opposing Ds but your Coach.

josdin00

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, as much as I like AP, Trom is right.

AP will get going and start having a spectacular game and Childress will bench him. Childress can't gameplan and doesn't belong in the NFL as a Head Coach.

Seriously, I'd like to see AP lead the NFL in rushing yards. He really is fun to watch. But the guy holding him back is not the opposing Ds but your Coach.

That was early in the season, when Childress was still operating under the assumption that CT should be the starter. He eventually figured out how to split time between the backs. I don't expect Childress to be a limiting factor on AD this season.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
Profizzle99 said:

You do know your coach is an idiot though, right. If anyone can stop AP's production, it's that guy.

Wasn't there a game where AP had like 150 yds in the first half, then only got 2 touches in the 2nd half? And wasn't there a game where he didn't even start? Correct me on that, I'm sure I'm off on something.

I am assuming that you are talking about the Green Bay game (go figure). Yup, I will absolutely agree with you that Childress made a mistake by holding him back in the second half. For the record, it was 108 yards in the first half, and he got three touches in the second.

This was in week four, and Childress still liked to utilize Taylor as the starter. And AD was returning kicks and punts this game. His theory was that he didn't want to overuse AD as a rookie. I can understand where he was coming from given AD's past injury issues and the rookie wall. I don't think it will be an issue this year.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
NodakPaul said:
Profizzle99 said:

LOL. You know what I like best about your post? The fact that you seem to honestly believe that Grant will do better than AD this year. I don't even know what to say. For that matter, it probably doesn't matter what anybody else says... you have already made up your mind.

Hope and optimism are one thing. Ridiculous expectations are something else. I hope you don't come crashing down to earth too hard...
AP might do better then Grant........but then again, thats ALL the Vikings have. We have Grant, and then our WR's which are on a whole different plane then what the Vikings have.
So......Peterson will probably run for more yards......but the Packer's O will be balanced, and be WAY more productive. And thats all that matters. Ask the Lions and Barry Sanders......look at how many SB trophies a great RB and nothing else gets you.

Ask Walter Peyton how many SB trophies a great RB and a great defense gets you. :wink:
Uh....lets see.....there was.....no, they didn't make it that year......how about?......no....they didn't win it then......is this a trick question???
All i can come up with is ONE.
Now....are you saying the Vikings have a "great defense?" Hmmm.....must be putting ALOT on this Jared Allen upgrade, cause their D didn't look anything like the 85 Bears last season.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
josdin00 said:
cheesey said:
NodakPaul said:
Profizzle99 said:

Uh....lets see.....there was.....no, they didn't make it that year......how about?......no....they didn't win it then......is this a trick question???
Now....are you saying the Vikings have a "great defense?" Hmmm.....must be putting ALOT on this Jared Allen upgrade, cause their D didn't look anything like the 85 Bears last season.

Even you must admit that the Vikings had the best rushing D in the league last year. The Vikings overall D was pretty good last year, with one exception - the pass rush. That is why Jared Allen is such a huge pickup for us.

Our weakest points on D were DE and S. We got one of the best DEs in the league and upgraded safety in both FA and the draft.

But then again, there are a LOT of people in this forum who seem to think that Allen doesn't bring anything to the table. So I may be talking to deaf ears...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
josdin00 said:
cheesey said:
NodakPaul said:
Profizzle99 said:

Even you must admit that the Vikings had the best rushing D in the league last year. The Vikings overall D was pretty good last year, with one exception - the pass rush. That is why Jared Allen is such a huge pickup for us.

Our weakest points on D were DE and S. We got one of the best DEs in the league and upgraded safety in both FA and the draft.

But then again, there are a LOT of people in this forum who seem to think that Allen doesn't bring anything to the table. So I may be talking to deaf ears...
Or......could it be because.........teams didn't HAVE to run? I mean, when you can "BURN" Sharper all day long, why BOTHER rushing the ball? Just throw it and watch Sharper and company try to catch your WR's. It sure worked last year!

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you cheesy!
Why run when you can pass all day?
If you put the best DL in the NFL all on one line with the horrible Viking pass defense you put the QB in the Shotgun and burn em' all day long.....Just like the Packers did the last 2 years.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Profizzle99 said:

well considering the fact that AP has never played through an entire season IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE... its not that crazy to think Ryan Grant might have better numbers at the end of the season.

I like AP, he doesnt seem like Viking material really. I think hes a blast to watch. but hes not exactly the most reliable guy injury wise.

As far as Jared Allen making your defense that much better. Im going out on the limb and saying that the Packers this year will throw for more yards on the Vikings in two games, than they did in last years 2 games. thats more than 700 yards and 6 TDs in case you forgot the numbers.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have two franchise qbs on our roster. booty and tjack. clearly both of them have the skills to be superbowl mvp in the very near future.
so i vote for the stadium.

My new favorite I can't believe I'm reading this moment.

Profizzle99

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont think anyone woulb be that stupid to write such a thing on this forum considering those 2 QB's combined cannot equal Chad Penny hahahaaha. But then we are dealing with viking fans who knows?!?!

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NodakPaul said:
Profizzle99 said:

To the first one, no.

To the second one, yes. And the reason he didn't start was because he was late for the team bus. So he was punished - even though he's a superstar.

Maybe you'd prefer that superstars are not treated like the other members of the team. I suppose years of allowing your redneck hill-billy of a QB snort painkillers and booze himself up while the rest of the team was held to a higher standard have desensitized you all to the fact that this is a team game.

=Z=

Zeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we have two franchise qbs on our roster. booty and tjack. clearly both of them have the skills to be superbowl mvp in the very near future.

It might be helpful for you to provide context when stealing quotes from PPO. A lot of the Sconnies on this site won't be able to follow what you're getting at here.

=Z=

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackOne said:

It might be helpful for you to provide context when stealing quotes from PPO. A lot of the Sconnies on this site won't be able to follow what you're getting at here.

=Z=

I don't think the above statement needs any interpretation. What is so hard to understand about "We have two franchise quarterbacks with the skills to be SuperBowl MVP?" The only confusion might be why anyone would ever think that at all. They make medicine for psychotic episodes and delusion, you know.

I hardly think the point was lost on anyone here.

EDIT: Talk about stealing stuff.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you cheesy!
If you put the best DL in the NFL all on one line with the horrible Viking pass defense you put the QB in the Shotgun and burn em' all day long.....Just like the Packers did the last 2 years.
Thank you! :D
Being proud of your run defense is great.......if you don't have a pourous pass defense. The Packers beat up their D last season, and the season before. Who can forget our WR's running past Sharper? (Even faster then Sharper's mouth was running before the game). So......as long as the Viking D can't stop the pass, I'm FINE with them being able to stop the run. We'll just keep throwing the ball downfield, and running up the score. Then the Viking D can pound their chests for being able to "stop the run". :wink: :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM has a history of playing against an opposing D's weakness.

If they can't stop the run, we run the ball 50 times. If they can't stop the pass, we'll throw 50 times.

Childress does not have the intelligence to make adjustments. Despite MN being a solid team, they will not be close to their potential. We win at least one game, probably 2 this year against the Vikes.

NodakPaul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Profizzle99 said:
Thank you cheesy!
Thank you! :D
Being proud of your run defense is great.......if you don't have a pourous pass defense. The Packers beat up their D last season, and the season before. Who can forget our WR's running past Sharper? (Even faster then Sharper's mouth was running before the game). So......as long as the Viking D can't stop the pass, I'm FINE with them being able to stop the run. We'll just keep throwing the ball downfield, and running up the score. Then the Viking D can pound their chests for being able to "stop the run". :wink: :lol:

For the record, the Vikings pass defense isn't as horrible as some like to believe. I know you guys like to think that because you go to the stats page and see that Minnesota was last in passing yards against. I assume that most of you are smart enough to look at the stats as a whole, instead of just one particular column.

For instance, the Vikings had the most passing yards against with 4225. However, if you look at the yards per completion (4225 / 415) = 10.18. If you compare this to the rest of the NFL, they are 11th. This fits in with the Viking's bend-don't-break idea. Don't give up the long pass, let them go underneath, and get pressure on the QB to force INTS and incompletes.

Unfortunately, that last part was lacking the past coupe of years.

BTW, in case you are curious, the Pack's D have one of the lowest completion percentages. But they are 28th in yards per completion. That means if you catch the ball against the pack, it will likely be for a good gain.

Here is the complete list:
Team
colts 8.504615385
titans 9.131805158
tb 9.185185185
steelers 9.671232877
pats 9.684713376
reskins 9.754985755
lions 9.789099526
cowboys 9.967836257
chargers 10.09467456
panthers 10.16617211
vikings 10.18072289
texans 10.19944598
cardinals 10.29362881
bengals 10.44475921
seahawks 10.52552553
49ers 10.55942029
jags 10.70846395
giants 10.73462783
bills 10.7740113
bears 10.81049563
browns 10.82647059
falcons 10.87797619
jets 10.91349481
chiefs 10.94927536
eagles 11.05448718
broncos 11.08960573
rams 11.36163522
packers 11.41016949
raiders 12
saints 12
ravens 12.13993174
dolphins 12.47520661

Now don't read me wrong, I recognize that the pass defense was the weak link on the Vikings D last year. I am not claiming them to be great by any accord. But I also recognize that is was not as bad as some green and gold fans would have us believe. And I recognize that we addressed our two biggest needs in this regard with the acquisition of Allen, Williams, and Johnson.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah but nodak.... your so called "bend but dont break" defense got broke more often than bending 8 times last year.

you can make stats say anything you want them to say. But i say your pass defense sucked last year because we threw for 700 yards against you and theres only one stat that you cant argue.

0-2 in 08 against the packers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts