Trade #32 Pick?

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the only position we should trade up for over other positions is OLB. There are OT and CB, etc in the later rounds, but OLB we need a sure starter to come out of this draft. Justin Houston out of Georgia is one of my favorites.

Pack88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like many Packer Fans I believe that this might be the year that TT goes the opposite way and trades up to get a specific player. Should a player that TT really like be on the board when Seattle picks and they do not select QB Jake Locker I could see Seattle moving back the 7 spaces to 32 and taking a position player and the using the traded draft pick from GB to come up in the second round and get the best remaining QB on the board!

Having said that I can more easily see the opposite scenario unfold, the guys that TT has slotted for his spot on the board are gone and one of the teams drafting 33-39 who are in need of a QB may try and come back into the first round to leapfrog ahead of the other lower drafting teams who passed on QB's in the1st round. I think this may surprisingly include NE who probably need to start planing on a Post Brady world.

The uncertain labor situation and private workouts will juggle the board a lot before draft day but if no labor agreement is reached teams will have to plan on going with what they got and even a team like the 49ers may be very interested in getting back into round 1 if Christain Ponder is still available! So while anything is possible I think if TT trades down or up it will be with a team fixing a problem at QB
Pack88

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have previously not had one player I thought the Packers should go with at #32, but after doing some reading and research, I was thinking about this post and if we were to trade down, there is one pick I want: Arizona OLB Brooks Reed. I am not trying to get into a debate about him, but he would be a talent we could insert on week 1. Plus we would still have our 2nd rounder and two third rounders besides our compensatory pick. That is a good haul in one draft.

Calhoun Lambeau

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ideally I'd like to see the CBA settled before the draft which would allow Thompson to use the trade of Barnett to move up in the first round.

Nick Barnett is coming off season ending wrist surgery, came out and pissed off our coaches and management during Superbowl week, and is going to be turning 30 years old. Nobody is going to give up a damn thing for Nick Barnett. I would be shocked if anyone gave up anything more than a 5th round pick.

Coming off the IR, at the age of 30, only being 235 pounds, I don't see him being a guy people will give up much for.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
This:
Nobody is going to give up a damn thing for Nick Barnett.
seems to contradict this:
I would be shocked if anyone gave up anything more than a 5th round pick.

A fifth rounder is better than 'no damn thing' and that's what I was thinking regarding a trade up: For example, the Packers' pick #32, their third rounder ("replaced" by comp pick for Kampman), and Barnett (valued somewhere between a late 4th to 6th round pick) to move up in the first round.

OP
OP
brett2520

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt any team takes "this pick, this pick, and nick barnett." my guess is we will have to trade him for a pick then use that pick in a trade with another team.

timdykeman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To : ThxJackVainisi
You made some nice points, I should have stated may position more clearly. I still support trading down, if there is a player TT does not like and get picks for the 2012 draft.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm okay either way, we trade up (Clay) or stay put (Mike Neal) I think Thompson will dig out the best of the draft. I'm just so excited to see who's going to be in the green and gold.
On the other hand, I've been waiting and waiting for Pat Lee to get going.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I doubt any team takes "this pick, this pick, and nick barnett." my guess is we will have to trade him for a pick then use that pick in a trade with another team.
So you are saying a team wouldn’t accept two picks and Nick Barnett for one of their picks in a trade during the draft but another team would accept just Nick Barnett in exchange for one of their picks? It’s a moot point as the CBA is very unlikely to be done by the draft and Barnett will either be traded or released shortly after the CBA is done, but that’s a curious analysis IMO.

timdykeman, I’m with you in supporting Thompson in whatever he does. He has certainly earned that in spades. If he likes several players when pick 32 comes around and can trade down and still get one of the players he would have taken at 32 he’d be foolish not to complete that trade and Thompson is not foolish. I’m just hoping he trades up into the heart of the draft because the Packers are already so deep. But we should all probably keep in mind even with all the money and time and expertise "spent" on draft preparation, one of his best choices last draft didn’t occur during the draft – if that draft were held today, where would Sam Shields have been selected? So you just never know – the “most NFL ready QB” (wasn’t Brohm called that?) may not be and a kid that’s not even on every team’s board may make a significant contribution his rookie year.

olwig420

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You all do realize that if a new CBA is not signed by the draft then no players can be traded for draft picks, only picks for other picks.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
reguardless of the CBA, no team is going to trade a pick for Barnett.
Just curious, after the CBA is signed, why wouldn’t a team spend a 5th or a 6th rounder, for example, on Barnett so they don’t have to compete with other teams in the free agent market for him? I believe Barnett's salary for next season is about $6M, paid over the 17 weeks of the season. A team will have to write a bigger check as a signing bonus than that to sign him as a free agent.

BTW, it was reported that Thompson was shopping him prior to the lockout so he may disagree with your take. My guess is he was shopping him for a draft pick.

- - -

olwig420, to answer your question/statement. In the post directly above yours I wrote: “It’s a moot point as the CBA is very unlikely to be done by the draft and Barnett will either be traded or released shortly after the CBA is done…”

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am all about the stockpiling of picks, not so much for this draft as for future drafts. To start a trend of having extra first, second, or third round picks in the next year's draft would be a huge advantage. I think many of those who feel that having extra picks in a draft where the talent might be thin fail to realize that the picks don't have to be spent. There is always going to be desperate teams in the NFL who need picks or have players that don't work in their system. This happens every year. To have extra picks in the first half of the draft every year would give us not only the option of drafting more players, but those picks could be traded for future picks if the talent is light, or those picks could even be used to trade for a veteran player.

It makes sense both short-term and long term to do this with draft picks. The Patriots have been doing it forever and they are almost always deep into postseason. I think what the Patriots do to some of their vets is a little harsh, and I am not saying that I want the Packers to be just like the Patriots. What I am saying is that the way the Patriots go about the draft is clearly paying dividends, no one can argue this.

I think the Packers are in a unique position with this draft. Depending on how the CBA goes or when for that matter, it is possible that Green Bay could secure an extra first or second round pick next season or the season after that. This makes total sense considering where the Pack picks this year, the fact that we don't have too many holes on the roster, and it is doubtful that any of the real first year starters at any position probably won't fall to Green Bay.

Now a great deal of what can or may happen, depends on the CBA. So the actual possibilities are endless. I am not against trading up in drafts. it is a high risk/high reward type move and clearly we all know what happens when it pays off big. But I keep hearing "We need another Clay Matthews on the other side." News flash, there is only one Clay Matthews. To think that we can magically draft another Clay Matthews by trading up in the draft is almost delusional. How many DE/OLB prospects were there in the draft last year that were touted as bad *** or awesome prospects? Depending on which board or site you look at, there are as many as 6 that are rated as first round talent. 4 went in the first round of last years draft. Pierre-Paul had the only decent year out of the four. 2 ended up on injured reserve and Hughes from TCU had less than half a dozed tackles for the entire year. Sure, hindsight is 20/20, but why risk it if it's not needed? There are good OLB rush candidates in the second and third round. Brooks Reed should go in the second but his popularity has him climbing boards.

Most rookies, if they have what it takes to play in the NFL long term, make their big jump in ability in their second year. So how do we know that Zombo doesn't have a breakout year this year? We have a bunch of guys coming back from injury and a bunch of other guys who want to keep their jobs. The competition for roster spots will be nasty even without the guys drafted this April.

I think trading up this year, especially for one of the 3-4 OLB prospects is too much risk with no enough reward. The odds that Green Bay trades up and then selects a player who turns out to be not only a rookie sensation but talked about for defensive player of the year, has got to be absolutely astronomical. The odds have to be rediculous. So why go for it? I'm not against risk, but only if there is real potential for reward.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just curious, after the CBA is signed, why wouldn’t a team spend a 5th or a 6th rounder, for example, on Barnett so they don’t have to compete with other teams in the free agent market for him? I believe Barnett's salary for next season is about $6M, paid over the 17 weeks of the season. A team will have to write a bigger check as a signing bonus than that to sign him as a free agent.

BTW, it was reported that Thompson was shopping him prior to the lockout so he may disagree with your take. My guess is he was shopping him for a draft pick.

I never heard he was shopping him, do you have a source?

Patrick Willis makes 6 million next season, why would you pay that much for Barnett? You wouldnt.

He is owed 12 million the next two years and no team is going to pay that for a 30 year old LBer. I can promise you that. Its either cut him or he takes a pay cut.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good post DergaSmash. But I remember reading Thompson’s answer to a question about trading current picks for future ones and Thompson saying he generally doesn’t favor it. He depends upon the draft as much as any GM in the league and my guess is he thinks even if the roster looks deep, you never know when a “deep” position will get hit with multiple injuries.

I don’t expect a trade up into the first round but in each of the last three drafts Thompson has traded up. Once into the first round and twice into round three. I think a trade-up into the 3rd or 4th round makes a lot of sense for the Packers again.

I never heard he was shopping him, do you have a source?

Damn you people that keep asking for old *** links! Couldn't find it, but I definitely remember (reading) that.

Patrick Willis makes 6 million next season, why would you pay that much for Barnett? You wouldnt.
I wouldn’t, but there are more than a couple foolish NFL GMs who may.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good post DergaSmash. But I remember reading Thompson’s answer to a question about trading current picks for future ones and Thompson saying he generally doesn’t favor it. He depends upon the draft as much as any GM in the league and my guess is he thinks even if the roster looks deep, you never know when a “deep” position will get hit with multiple injuries.

I don’t expect a trade up into the first round but in each of the last three drafts Thompson has traded up. Once into the first round and twice into round three. I think a trade-up into the 3rd or 4th round makes a lot of sense for the Packers again.

I wouldn’t, but there are more than a couple foolish NFL GMs who may.

LOL at using my quote. But it's a good quote. ;)

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno. I just have mixed emotions about this draft. There aren't many first round type guys that I am enamored with, and I am pretty sure the Pack doesn't have a shot at any of them. That is unless they trade up or there is a massive QB run and the rest of the guys start falling back.

Without a CBA, the Pack would probably have to trade their first round and their second round pick or future picks in order to move up high enough to get one of those few players and I don't like that. So in my mind as it stands now, trading back or trading for future picks makes the most sense to me. I know a lot of things could change and they probably will before draft day. I am excited though. I think there is a lot of underrated talent to be had in the later rounds, and there are a few players that I hope the Pack has a shot at and picks on Saturday. That, and the entire draft in general is pretty entertaining in it's own right.

Latest posts