TNF: Green Bay goes to Seattle

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Whoever was wearing the yellow shoes needs to stop. I watched the game on a tiny phone screen and kept think there was a flag every time that guy walked through the picture.

There probably was, on the Packers!

Was about to bring this up, but this is a really telling story, only a piece of the puzzle, but Penalties this year have been killing the Packers. Do you blame them on bad luck, poor coaching, unskilled players?

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalties.html?sort=numyds

If you look at this season VS previous ones, the increased number of penalties in almost every category seem to be an anomaly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Was about to bring this up, but this is a really telling story, only a piece of the puzzle, but Penalties this year have been killing the Packers. Do you blame them on bad luck, poor coaching, unskilled players?

If you look at this season VS previous ones, the increased number of penalties in almost every category seem to be an anomaly.
All of the above

And when I think the procedure and pre snap discipline penalties are better we get young guy in first real action panic mode penalties like Greene last night. Or phantom holding that takes a 50 yard return and puts the offense back on the 10 to start. It’s always something and it’s getting old.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am done with Mike. Done. There just seems to be a malaise hanging over this team. I see spurts of great ball but as soon as something doesn't go our way we seem to crumble. We should've been up BIG early in that game yet we weren't. I hate to say it but as soon as Mason missed the FG, I knew we were going to lose. Silly, I know, but it's true. We had great field position in crucial times on multiple drives and came up with nada. Throwing bombs on 3rd and 3ish. Not getting the plays in in-time and wasting TO's game after game after game. I could go on and on but don't want to vomit on my computer. I know this whole deal is not on Mike but he's the head man and it's time for a change. I keep envisioning a guy like Arians running this team and I can't help but think of how energized the entire team would be with a new, fresh voice. I appreciate what Mike has done and how much of a decent, stand-up guy he is but it's time. We have 4, 5 maybe 6 years of AR left and we CANNOT waste another one next year. I think GUTE is going to do a great job loading the roster up but he needs to have his guy running things. Frustrated and disappointed don't do justice to how I am feeling.

Now that is a rational thought. Even the MM supporters (if there are any left) should be able to respect this line of thinking. What gets so many fans upset, no matter which side they come down on, is the lack of understanding that it goes deeper than just one guy. McCarthy fans get upset when Rodgers fans blame it all on the play calling and Rodgers fans get upset when McCarthy fans blame it all on Rodgers going rouge. In reality its probably a bit of both and a whole lot more. Its like the NFCC game collapse. People want it to be all neat and tidy and be able to put the blame on one person when in reality there almost too many things that went wrong in that game to list. There are too many things wrong with this team right now to blame it all on one person.

What you did get right (not the only thing but the bottom line) is that the bottom line is it starts at the top. You might say that ever since that ill fated day the writing has been on the wall. Yeah we have had great game and even some pretty great seasons since them but they all seem to have needed some sort of heroics to get them done. I for one would like to not have to R*E*L*A*X or have to see the team Run The Table to make a deep run into the playoffs. While it was great to see that it would be a nice change for it not to be needed.

I'm not as down on MM as many are. My feelings are that it comes down to execution more than not but I certainly don't disagree that some fresh insight and enthusiasm are needed. McCarthy just seems to be too bland of late as if he has lost his drive. He was a good hiring at the time and like you, I appreciate what he has done but it does look to me that it is time to move on.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
All of the above

And when I think the procedure and pre snap discipline penalties are better we get young guy in first real action panic mode penalties like Greene last night. Or phantom holding that takes a 50 yard return and puts the offense back on the 10 to start. It’s always something and it’s getting old.

I know you and I spar about Whitt, but just seeing the combined Defensive Holding and Defensive Pass Interference number (14) makes me cringe. I think only the Chiefs, Browns, Lions and Steelers have more.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was one pass that Aaron probably wouldn't have even thrown had he known it was Tonyan instead of Graham. Let me guess you thought Janis was a baller as well.:D

Sure it was a great play on his part but lets be realistic...it was just one play.

Rodgers disagrees with you in his postgame.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Of course Rodgers isn't going to say "Hey, the kid just happened to be in the right place at the right time and my superior athleticism got him the ball, everyone gets lucky once in awhile."

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course Rodgers isn't going to say "Hey, the kid just happened to be in the right place at the right time and my superior athleticism got him the ball, everyone gets lucky once in awhile."

Haha I don’t think you watch enough rodgers interviews if you think that Rodgers wouldn’t say something like that.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How so?

Probably was not the best choice of words for me to use. Perhaps I probably should have possibly said maybe.

This AR quote was from a mike Silver article on NFL.com.

"That was niiicccee," Rodgers admitted afterward, shortly before heading to the team bus. "I let it go and I stared at it and said, 'Oooooo yeah ...' To be honest, I thought it was Jimmy. I let it go and looked at it and then I said, 'Whoa! That's Bobby.' "

Knowing that Rodgers has had trust issues with his young pass catchers in the past it is not a stretch to think that just maybe, had he known it was Tonyan in the game instead of Graham, he may not have thrown it.

I'd like to think it wouldn't have mattered but I don't know.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a side not from that play, I think pressure was there at his left so he couldn’t throw it, but Tonyan beat his man fairly quickly it seemed 10 -15 yards or so downfield he already had a step or more on his man. But I don’t thin Rodgers could have thrown it then.

TexasCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Probably a biased opinion but I noticed a huge jump in momentum killing flags on offense and even more drive extending plays against our defense after the clay matthews/ alex Smith debacle where he put the refs on blast after the game in Washington. Seems like the zebras have had their ******* in a *** ever since. They've hit GB hard this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was hoping for a good 100th anniversary season. It's not going to happen. McCarthy has to go. And I'd be perfectly fine if it was tomorrow. Is he the whole problem? No he's not. But he's the first one that needs firing. Followed by Zook. The destruction of this team is painful to watch.
Yeah I mean it’s pretty clear MM will be gone after this year. (Don’t get me started on Zook......). Is it better to whack him now or wait? My take is that if GB loses in Minny then the season really is over, and it would be best to move on. Let Philbin run the team so we can test some (hopefully) new ideas. Either way, as it affects this season, it really doesn’t make much diffference when MM goes, as long as it’s no later than the day after this wreck of a season ends.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is wasting his career staying with GB. He's never had a good defense. Has rarely had a good running game. He has had a good receiving corps, but hasn't had one recently. Rodgers should have 3 or 4 SB rings by now, and probably would have if he played for teams that were even mediocre, but that's not the case. Rodgers is the best in the game, but even the best player can only make up for so many of the rest of the team's deficiencies...why he continues to stay there is beyond me...

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I feel like this game could be a big indicator of how the rest of the season will go. Unfortunately, I don't have a very good feeling about it. Seahawks, 24-20.
I was thinking that someone predicted the score on the money but this one was damn close.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers is wasting his career staying with GB.

Yet, he is the highest paid player in his profession, probably a shoe in for first ballot Hall of Fame oh and.....
Yup wasting his career in Green Bay. :rolleyes:

I'm seriously tired of this notion that Aaron Rodgers is wasting his career in Green Bay. He is what he is....because he was in Green Bay. Would he have done the same thing with his career elsewhere? I think if you ask AR himself, he is quite happy he was drafted by Green Bay. Is he, along with the Packers organization and their fans frustrated that there haven't been more SB's? Sure.....but can we just drop this theory of he would have been better off elsewhere? Because he very well could have been worse off than he is today.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, he is the highest paid player in his profession, probably a shoe in for first ballot Hall of Fame oh and.....

I'm seriously tired of this notion that Aaron Rodgers is wasting his career in Green Bay. He is what is....because he was in Green Bay. Would he have done the same thing with his career elsewhere? I think if you ask AR himself, he is quite happy he was drafted by Green Bay. Is he, along with the Packers organization and their fans frustrated that there haven't been more SB's? Sure.....but can we just drop this whole notion of he would have been better off elsewhere?
I liked your reply, but frankly you went to more work than I was willing to do for a post that had no real constructive purpose.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I liked your reply, but frankly you went to more work than I was willing to do for a post that had no real constructive purpose.

Agreed, but getting so sick of hearing that. It's like saying Brett Favre would have won more SB's and been better off in Atlanta.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Agreed, but getting so sick of hearing that. It's like saying Brett Favre would have won more SB's and been better off in Atlanta.
Not to mention Rodgers had the luxury of being able to sit behind Favre for as long as he did and watch, observe, learn, etc. And he has adopted some of Favre's game into his own. Also, the Packers coaching staff were instrumental in rebuilding his mechanics and throwing motion.

Could Aaron go to other situations as he is right now and flourish more than he is currently? I think that's a fair assertion, but to your point, the notion that he would have been better off being drafted by anyone else is pretty silly. The Packers deserve a ton of credit in helping facilitate the player that Rodgers has become.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I'm seriously tired of this notion that Aaron Rodgers is wasting his career in Green Bay. He is what he is....because he was in Green Bay. Would he have done the same thing with his career elsewhere? I think if you ask AR himself, he is quite happy he was drafted by Green Bay. Is he, along with the Packers organization and their fans frustrated that there haven't been more SB's? Sure.....but can we just drop this theory of he would have been better off elsewhere? Because he very well could have been worse off than he is today.
I would also bet if AR was asked, he'd say he'd gladly trade all of the above for more SB wins...

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to mention Rodgers had the luxury of being able to sit behind Favre for as long as he did and watch, observe, learn, etc. And he has adopted some of Favre's game into his own. Also, the Packers coaching staff were instrumental in rebuilding his mechanics and throwing motion.

Could Aaron go to other situations as he is right now and flourish more than he is currently? I think that's a fair assertion, but to your point, the notion that he would have been better off being drafted by anyone else is pretty silly. The Packers deserve a ton of credit in helping facilitate the player that Rodgers has become.
I never said, nor would I ever say it was mistake, or even a bad thing that Rodgers started out in GB. In fact, I think that was a good thing. What I don't agree with is his loyalty to a team that in recent years has done absolutely nothing to help him. Yes, he makes a lot of money, but he could make that playing for any team. At this point, money should be of little concern to him. He would more than likely achieve all the other stuff too playing for another team. It's admirable that he's loyal, but his loyalty is hurting his career...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would also bet if AR was asked, he'd say he'd gladly trade all of the above for more SB wins...

I never said, nor would I ever say it was mistake, or even a bad thing that Rodgers started out in GB. In fact, I think that was a good thing. What I don't agree with is his loyalty to a team that in recent years has done absolutely nothing to help him. Yes, he makes a lot of money, but he could make that playing for any team. At this point, money should be of little concern to him. He would more than likely achieve all the other stuff too playing for another team. It's admirable that he's loyal, but his loyalty is hurting his career...

Both of those statements are kind of the crux of my issue with the whole notion that "Aaron Rodgers would have been better off on another team because he would have more SB wins elsewhere". This is putting the importance on a single player and not a team. I love AR, but I love the Packers Team more. I don't really care what is best for Aaron Fricking Rodgers individual accomplishments. He could have been drafted by the Cleveland Browns and never saw a Pro Bowl, nor would the Browns have sniffed a Super Bowl.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts