The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After they insulted him with the money they offered, he wouldn't cause a distraction that last year.

But if you listen again (( I've watched 1st 10 mins few times) He is saying he was trying to decide to stay or move on. He is comparing Carr and Love and the potential each brought.

I feel if Love was a starter already Adams would have stayed

Adams put up insane numbers with who at qb? Jimmy G, Aidan O'Connell? In fact I recall him putting up numbers with Huntley, cant even remeber his first name right now. I understand he thought he was going to play with Carr but dude is qb immune

I havent watched it, only listened to audio but I definitely heard him say that when the Packers came at him with a low ball offer prior to the season he decided he wasn't going to continue playing for them. He also said he told them, look im not gonna be a distraction im still gonna be me but were done (Paraphrasing)

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, Idk but it sounds to me like you just supported my point. Unless youre trying to say that the Packers FO didnt intially come at Adams with an insulting offer? I guess then Adams made that part up, if you believe it didnt happen that way

Why would Adams lie about that? So the Packers fans like him more? I really doubt he cares what the fans think of him. With the track record of the Packers FO, Im not sure why it would be a strech to believe
First, "insulting" needs to be defined.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Adams put up insane numbers with who at qb? Jimmy G, Aidan O'Connell? In fact I recall him putting up numbers with Huntley, cant even remeber his first name right now. I understand he thought he was going to play with Carr but dude is qb immune

I havent watched it, only listened to audio but I definitely heard him say that when the Packers came at him with a low ball offer prior to the season he decided he wasn't going to continue playing for them. He also said he told them, look im not gonna be a distraction im still gonna be me but were done (Paraphrasing)
So what? His self perceived value was greater than what the front office valued him. Happens all the time. He got his big paycheck and we got a basket of draft picks. Both sides won. But not necessarily the Raiders. Tango Sierra for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So, Idk but it sounds to me like you just supported my point. Unless youre trying to say that the Packers FO didnt intially come at Adams with an insulting offer? I guess then Adams made that part up, if you believe it didnt happen that way

Why would Adams lie about that? So the Packers fans like him more? I really doubt he cares what the fans think of him. With the track record of the Packers FO, Im not sure why it would be a strech to believe

Guessing you didn't read my follow up (below)?

Good interview and maybe I have to change my view of the "negotiations" a bit. Davante said the Packers initial offer was "South of $20M". Insulting? Maybe, but a negotiating starting point, as well as including bumping the final year (2021) of his contract up from the $14.5M he agreed to play for with that 4 year contract signed in 2017.

I will also give you my opinion of the term "insulted", when it comes to NFL contract negotiations. First, the term is a personal feeling, tied to ones own beliefs and viewpoints. If Adams or any Packer fan was insulted by the Packers first offer (as reported by Adams), then so be it, but from what I gather, a low starting offer is not unusual in NFL contract negotiations or any negotiations. It was reported that the Packers eventually came up to what the Raiders were offering. However, if Adams initial feeling of being "insulted" was stronger than his desire to stay in Green Bay, than he attached that to his decision in agreeing to be traded to the Raiders. It no doubt has become part of "his story" when talking about his exit from GB, maybe an intentional or unintentional way to make himself the victim?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So what? His self perceived value was greater than what the front office valued him. Happens all the time. He got his big paycheck and we got a basket of draft picks. Both sides won. But not necessarily the Raiders. Tango Sierra for them.

Gute batted 2 for 2 IMO on both Adams and Rodgers. Davante was/is a great WR, but I would rather steer clear of those massive deals on a non-QB. Not easy to see him leave, but as you correctly pointed out, the Packers were well compensated for him.

Same goes with Rodgers. While his contract had a stranglehold on the organization, it was doable in exchange for his talent. However, when his personality and putting self above the team became a distraction, it was time to move on. While it would have been nice to get more in the trade, I think the Packers came out well in the deal. Granted, had Rodgers not gotten hurt last season and Love stumbled, we all might be singing a different tune.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Gute ended up offering more money than the raiders paid him; it's hard to see a real lowball figure. Seems more probably to be the start of negotiations. Still, I like where we are sitting now at receiver.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

His exact quote

At the time when I was (in Green Bay), I hadn't necessarily seen enough to say this is for sure what I should do," Adams said of his decision to leave the Packers. "But in hindsight, like we talked about, the kid is a f------ baller, man. I'm so happy for him.

Before that he talks about not being a distraction and how Aaron may not be there next year. ( He said it sideways)

That is why I say he was deciding on staying

How can anyone read that quote and say he wasn't debating playing here or in Vegas?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He did say after initial offer he said made me almost not want to play for them that year. But then played and didn't cause any issues
Also said

Packers trying to figure it out and I'm going back and forth on what to do. How do distinguish if this is the right thing to do compared to him knowing going to Vegas was the right thing to do. He is basing it off the numbers

He is most definitely trying to decide if between the 2

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every free agent that signs with another team is generally because their previous team didn't meet their demands (or cut them) so, they signed somewhere else. Not sure why people think Green Bay is somehow alone in 'offending' their previous employees with low offers.
Same thing happened to Bears with Alshon Jefferey. He was best buds with Brandon Marshall and when he was dealt there was nothing the front office could do to make A. Jeffrey want to stay. It’s not always about money with these guys.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Adams had stayed in GB maybe we don’t shake loose from Rodgers. In a perfect world I’d love to still have Adams but in the overall scope of things we’re better off now.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all seem to be drafting of topic in the Love thread.

Rodgers? Adams?

Well, we upgraded at QB with Love. Rodgers needed a great WR to be successful, his years of making players around him better are long gone. Love got it done with some raw rookies and first year guys. Better leadership and willing to play within the system have done wonders for the offense.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, "insulting" needs to be defined.

Well, I suppose that is defined by the situation...in Adams case a clear top 3 nfl wr, anything less than a top if the market offer would be considered insulting.

Either way Adams considered the Packers offer insulting

Im not saying it didnt work out for the Packers, although I wouldn't call 2 picks a basket.

Guessing you didn't read my follow up (below)?
I will also give you my opinion of the term "insulted", when it comes to NFL contract negotiations. First, the term is a personal feeling, tied to ones own beliefs and viewpoints. If Adams or any Packer fan was insulted by the Packers first offer (as reported by Adams), then so be it, but from what I gather, a low starting offer is not unusual in NFL contract negotiations or any negotiations. It was reported that the Packers eventually came up to what the Raiders were offering. However, if Adams initial feeling of being "insulted" was stronger than his desire to stay in Green Bay, than he attached that to his decision in agreeing to be traded to the Raiders. It no doubt has become part of "his story" when talking about his exit from GB, maybe an intentional or unintentional way to make himself the victim?

Yes, yes I did miss your other post.

I obviously dont know him as a person. However I dont understand why he would be looking to make himself "the victim" Personally I think he's just telling the truth about what happened and how it made HIM feel. Like you guys said being insulted is largely determined by ones perspective. If I had to guess its...hey I put in work for you guys for years and then you come at me with that. A loss of trust in his eyes.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
However I dont understand why he would be looking to make himself "the victim"
It's a growing epidemic in this country, even guys who used to run this country use it.

The interesting part about the Adams interview (starting at the 1:10 mark), the one I posted, was that he actually played his final season for the Packers, unhappy that the Packers didn't sign him to a new contract before that season. He was upset that he was risking injury, with no new contract. He also mentioned that the initial number (South of $20M) was a figure the Packers threw out BEFORE that season began. For the most part of the interview, he just lets that "S of $20M" be the narrative. Fact is, that it was the Packers initial offer, before the season ever begun, once they knew their future financial situation, they did come up substantially from that.

Davante also mentioned that Rodgers future in Green Bay heavily weighed into his decision.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the best way to look at the Adams situation is that in the long run, it helped the Packers find cap room where they now have 3, probably 4, young WRs fitting within that $20+ mill cap that he would have had, and to be honest, we're better off in the long run.

Sometimes you have to back up, take a deep breath, and realize that things can turn out pretty good if you dig into it deep enough to see what the fall out is.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the best way to look at the Adams situation is that in the long run, it helped the Packers find cap room where they now have 3, probably 4, young WRs fitting within that $20+ mill cap that he would have had, and to be honest, we're better off in the long run.

Sometimes you have to back up, take a deep breath, and realize that things can turn out pretty good if you dig into it deep enough to see what the fall out is.
Agree

Bottom line for me. When I read the statement; "The Packers disrespected (fill in the blank)", I tend to scratch my head.

It's a business, we don't always know all the facts and the feeling of disrespect is subjective. I could flip the narrative and say "Davante disrespected the Packers, the organization that helped get him to where he was, by demanding so much money, before the contract he signed was even completed."

Final thing for me and this applies to every player. This whole notion of "what if I get injured and can't play again, I want guarantees", bothers me. You want a guarantee that you will still be paid the same money as if you were playing at your top level? If a player is injured, what is the Packers return on said player (see D. Bakhtiari)? If lack of income due to an injury scares a player, get an insurance policy from a company that specializes in them. "Guaranteed money" should be changed to "Guaranteed incentives" and paid AFTER said incentives are reached.

Now I return myself to the regularly scheduled thread topic of Jordan Love....

Reaction score

What’s kinda amusing about that interview is “insulting” is subjective. A 3yr X $70mil 30 guar might be insulting to Davante, It’s not unreasonable or like we offered him Vet minim.

Maybe insulting when someone else offers you $28.3M Annual a short while later.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree

Bottom line for me. When I read the statement; "The Packers disrespected (fill in the blank)", I tend to scratch my head.

It's a business, we don't always know all the facts and the feeling of disrespect is subjective. I could flip the narrative and say "Davante disrespected the Packers, the organization that helped get him to where he was, by demanding so much money, before the contract he signed was even completed."

Final thing for me and this applies to every player. This whole notion of "what if I get injured and can't play again, I want guarantees", bothers me. You want a guarantee that you will still be paid the same money as if you were playing at your top level? If a player is injured, what is the Packers return on said player (see D. Bakhtiari)? If lack of income due to an injury scares a player, get an insurance policy from a company that specializes in them. "Guaranteed money" should be changed to "Guaranteed incentives" and paid AFTER said incentives are reached.

I think Adams has failed to grasp the meaning what disrespect really is. I get tired of hearing players say they didn't respect them. What they're really saying is that they wanted the team to kiss their derrieres, and lavish them with praise, even when they show disrespect for the team, and the players on the team. If Adams wants to understand what disrespect is, he should take a look at how he and all of today's players couldn't care less about the players that came before them, and made them rich. They won't put together a retirement package including insurance that protects those guys from the past. This is disrespect, so he can stick that one in that derriere I mentioned earlier, along with a goal post!

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s kinda amusing about that interview is “insulting” is subjective. A 3yr X $70mil 30 guar might be insulting to Davante, It’s not unreasonable or like we offered him Vet minim.

Maybe insulting when someone else offers you $28.3M Annual a short while later.

Its my understanding the first numbers they presented to Adams were south of 20 m annually. Im not sure how far south, I assume not much but thats a lot different than 3 years 70 m. If they had offered him that he likely wouldn't have been insulted. As it would have been greater than d hopps 22 m annual avg.

Mind you the big disagreement between the player and the team was...the Packers were claiming d hopps deal averaged only 22 m. But with his extension the math came out to 28 m a year apprx.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree

I think Adams has failed to grasp the meaning what disrespect really is. I get tired of hearing players say they didn't respect them. What they're really saying is that they wanted the team to kiss their derrieres, and lavish them with praise, even when they show disrespect for the team, and the players on the team. If Adams wants to understand what disrespect is, he should take a look at how he and all of today's players couldn't care less about the players that came before them, and made them rich. They won't put together a retirement package including insurance that protects those guys from the past. This is disrespect, so he can stick that one in that derriere I mentioned earlier, along with a goal post!

You guys are thinking about this in the context of...well I'd be elated to be offered that much money

The facts are theres a number that the best wr in the league gets. And that number is higher then the highest paid player at his position previously. To offer him less than that is seen as disrespect

Would you like it if at your job you were the best and they were like well we can only pay you top 10 money? Even tho youre better than joe Schmoe, were gonna offer you significantly less than him

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Its my understanding the first numbers they presented to Adams were south of 20 m annually. Im not sure how far south, I assume not much but thats a lot different than 3 years 70 m. If they had offered him that he likely wouldn't have been insulted. As it would have been greater than d hopps 22 m annual avg.

Mind you the big disagreement between the player and the team was...the Packers were claiming d hopps deal averaged only 22 m. But with his extension the math came out to 28 m a year apprx.
The part you are missing is that the "South of $20M" was what the Packers started negotiations with BEFORE Davante's final season. So that was likely factoring in his final contract year. By the end of the season it was reported that they were at or above the Raiders offer.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You guys are thinking about this in the context of...well I'd be elated to be offered that much money
Which "guys" are you referring to? The average Joe, thinking in that simple of context, $500K/year would be enough! You really think posters here don't understand football contracts and the money involved? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are major egos involved here as you can expect from world class athletes who are put on such high pedestals.

When it comes down to it, if Adams earns $70M or $60M over the next 3 years, would it affect his life? Can't imagine that extra $10M is going to affect what he can afford that will provide any additional life satisfaction. Instead, he should consider where he is. If he likes his teammates, his community, and especially his chance of winning a SuperBowl should be much larger factors in his decision than being able to upgrade from an 60' yacht to a 70' yacht.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
There are major egos involved here as you can expect from world class athletes who are put on such high pedestals.

When it comes down to it, if Adams earns $70M or $60M over the next 3 years, would it affect his life? Can't imagine that extra $10M is going to affect what he can afford that will provide any additional life satisfaction. Instead, he should consider where he is. If he likes his teammates, his community, and especially his chance of winning a SuperBowl should be much larger factors in his decision than being able to upgrade from an 60' yacht to a 70' yacht.
Recently saw a reference to a study that asked: Would you feel better about making $80k at your job if everyone else around you made $70k, or if you made $100k and everyone else made $110k. The results were in favor of the first.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Recently saw a reference to a study that asked: Would you feel better about making $80k at your job if everyone else around you made $70k, or if you made $100k and everyone else made $110k. The results were in favor of the first.
I will take the second scenario. I would feel better about me making $20K more than the poor me stuck in the 1st scenario. :coffee: