The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't read anything or saw all the devante video, but my understanding was we low balled him and he was insulted. I'm sure Gute wanted to keep him, but at a more team friendly cost.
GB low balled him in previous contract negotiations but ultimately offered him slightly more than the LV offer he took is my understanding. I guess the original lowball offer left him salty. I guess I stand corrected, Gute should get credit for DA leaving as most likely that original lowball offer was the cause.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB low balled him in previous contract negotiations but ultimately offered him slightly more than the LV offer he took is my understanding. I guess the original lowball offer left him salty. I guess I stand corrected, Gute should get credit for DA leaving as most likely that original lowball offer was the cause.
Thanks for the info. I think Gute got lucky and we avoided the big contract. But we will never know which way was better.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their passing offense has missed quite a few beats, especially last year. The offense was much better with Hill. An improved running game and a much improved defense alongside an improving Mahomes have led them to the latest SBs. IMO.
That's a good summary. The Chiefs' defense in particular has been very good the last two years. And I do believe that defense wins championships. They are just a well coached, well run team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If what has been widely reported is true, Gute tried to keep DaVante. DA made the decision to leave. I agree Gute deserves credit for the WR room since his departure, but not for letting him go. IMO.
Schultz do you think they should have kept DA and paid him $30 mil/year? Between Rodgers and Adams that would have been over $80 mil/year for two guys.

But two very special guys. On a lot of plays, it looked like Rodgers and Adams could do whatever they wanted. I would have kept him too because there was no one else in that WR group beyond #3 guys like Lazard and Cobb.

Gluten did try to keep him but DA simply wanted out. I was a little surprised considering where he went (the Raiders weren't close to contending for a SB). He probably was happy to change scenes from GB to LV as well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think Gute got lucky and we avoided the big contract. But we will never know which way was better.
Agreed. It's impossible to know if Gluten would have still drafted the WRs he did if DA was still around. I wasn't crazy about DA leaving because there were no other solid WRs, not even a strong #2 guy. It was pretty much Lazard, Cobb and RB Jones.

I'm not sure the low ball ran DA out of town. That's a pretty typical negotiating tactic, and I know I wasn't ready to accept the idea of $30 mil/year WRs. But that money is real for guys like Adams, Hill and soon will be higher for Jefferson.

I still like the way things shook out for the Packers. I don't miss Rodgers' drama, the team looks well positioned to continue its run of winning. Financially Rodgers and DA ended up just fine. But it's very unlikely either will win a SB before their careers are over. For what that's worth.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In hindsight things could not have worked out better for the Pack. I am guilty of being too loyal at times. That goes for my job, my coaching, my friendships, my family and even my fandom.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In hindsight things could not have worked out better for the Pack. I am guilty of being too loyal at times. That goes for my job, my coaching, my friendships, my family and even my fandom.
Yeah it would be hard to write a better ending, or beginning, to the Packers story. In just a few short years the team has been (almost) completely remade, and with youth. They have good to great players, a promising bunch of rookies, a hopefully elite QB, and cap room. And it's all pretty much drama free.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM is a tough job. I'm sure they develop friendships and have deep connections with the guys they draft. They scouted them, interviewed them, watched them develop and become what you envisioned. Heck, it's tough for us to see Adams go, imagine what it's like for the GM who has far more invested. Yet you have to make some very hard decisions based on finances and what is overall best for the team and cut ties at some point. Some day we will have to part with these guys we are cheering for this year: Love, Musgrave, Reed, Jaire, Gary, Clark, . . . Kind of sad, but just the nature of the sport. Players will come and go but the Packers will remain.

SudsMcBucky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM is a tough job. I'm sure they develop friendships and have deep connections with the guys they draft. They scouted them, interviewed them, watched them develop and become what you envisioned. Heck, it's tough for us to see Adams go, imagine what it's like for the GM who has far more invested. Yet you have to make some very hard decisions based on finances and what is overall best for the team and cut ties at some point. Some day we will have to part with these guys we are cheering for this year: Love, Musgrave, Reed, Jaire, Gary, Clark, . . . Kind of sad, but just the nature of the sport. Players will come and go but the Packers will remain.
That's why Brad Pitt doesn't travel on the plane with team.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I haven't read anything or saw all the devante video, but my understanding was we low balled him and he was insulted.
I always kind of chuckle when "he was low balled and insulted" is the narrative for a player leaving a team. If a player is insulted by the failed negotiations, then said player doesn't understand how negotiations work. A team will have a bottom line number and if the player and his agent won't agree to it, time to trade/cut said player. Then there is the possibility that said team and/or player are just ready to move on from each other, whether it is one or both of them wanting that. Jordy Nelson was an example of that.

I also think high end players are often sitting in a position of great advantage. There is no doubt in my mind that their agents have been "quietly" shopping their player with other teams. Finding out what those teams would be willing to pay for said player. All those other teams, really wanting said player are bidding against each other and a good agent will let them know their "offer" will need to be higher. Once that high figure is found, with a team the player wants to play for, the agent and his player know where the current team has to go with an offer, to keep the player around.

The other disadvantage to the players current team, once negotiations cease and it has been decided that the player will be traded, is the agent saying "these are the only teams my guy will play for, make a trade happen with them."

Anyone doubting that Davante Adams didn't have a deal ready to go with the Raiders, BEFORE he and the Packers stopped negotiating, aren't seeing the big picture. The Packers had placed a value on Adams, Davante and his agent placed a value that the Packers would have to meet before he would stay. Guessing that "value" might have even been higher than what the Raiders offered, since Davante wanted to play for the Raiders and with Derek Carr.

"Oh they low-balled me" is a players way of trying to save face with the fans and media. When in reality, the team's value for the player was less than what others would pay.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Well said. In the case of Davante, Gute wasn't the one that drafted him, so a bit easier to cut ties and get some value for a player that was ready to move on.

Bottom line for a GM, is the team. If he doesn't put Team first, he will probably find himself out of a job.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Bingo.

Imo, the impact of WR1 is far less than the current compensation currently says. WR's are a dime a dozen imo. Especially in our offense.
I'd much rather have one of the best DT's in the league. Those dudes blow up opponent's playbooks.
With the number of top flight WRs drafted the past 2 seasons, without looking at future years, I'm a thinkin' WR salaries will crash and settle closer to a top flight RB than a top CB. Especially after teams get their stud #1 and future stud at #2. Might take a few seasons yet.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the number of top flight WRs drafted the past 2 seasons, without looking at future years, I'm a thinkin' WR salaries will crash and settle closer to a top flight RB than a top CB. Especially after teams get their stud #1 and future stud at #2. Might take a few seasons yet.

There is for sure a seemingly numerable amount of talent in the WR pool of the NFL. Always going to be elite money but that second tier is likely to level some possibly.

Calebs Revenge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems anytime a WR causes a stink and wants big money or a ticket outta town said WR turns out to not be worth it. Cheetah has worked out well but can anyone say LV Raiders would be much worse off if they hadn’t had D. Adam’s the last 2 years?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
. . . but can anyone say LV Raiders would be much worse off if they hadn’t had D. Adam’s the last 2 years?
It's not just the performance and the expense, but the loss of a 1st and 2nd pick.

My thought is there were some tampering going on. Devante bought a house in Las Vegas before he became a FA. I think the Packers had evidence and the Raiderrs would have lost a 1st round pick anyway if the Packers came forward.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams said similar things towards the end of last season...it would be hard not to be impressed by Love.

It sounds like Adams would of loved to play with Love had the front office not low balled him intially

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It sounds like Adams would of loved to play with Love had the front office not low balled him intially
Sorry, I don't buy that Love actually wanted to stay in GB. Great story though "Adams forced out of GB by stingy GM". The Packers reportedly finally came up to what Davante wanted, but by then it was too late. Adams knew Rodgers days were numbered in GB and I think he knew it was a good time to get out.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Adams said similar things towards the end of last season...it would be hard not to be impressed by Love.

After they insulted him with the money they offered, he wouldn't cause a distraction that last year.

But if you listen again (( I've watched 1st 10 mins few times) He is saying he was trying to decide to stay or move on. He is comparing Carr and Love and the potential each brought.

I feel if Love was a starter already Adams would have stayed

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Maybe we will see his return in 2027 or perhaps as early as next season, since after this season, the Raiders have a reason out built into his contract. In either case, if he becomes a Free Agent and really likes what he sees in Love, Packer fans would welcome him back with open arms.

Good interview and maybe I have to change my view of the "negotiations" a bit. Davante said the Packers initial offer was "South of $20M". Insulting? Maybe, but a negotiating starting point, as well as including bumping the final year (2021) of his contract up from the $14.5M he agreed to play for with that 4 year contract signed in 2017.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe we will see his return in 2027 or perhaps as early as next season, since after this season, the Raiders have a reason out built into his contract. In either case, if he becomes a Free Agent and really likes what he sees in Love, Packer fans would welcome him back with open arms.
Nope for me. In '27 he'll be 34 going on 35 in December. I'm OK if he returns to be in GB's HOF after retiring, but I don't want a 34/35 yr old WR back as a FA. Ship has sailed...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nope for me. In '27 he'll be 34 going on 35 in December. I'm OK if he returns to be in GB's HOF after retiring, but I don't want a 34/35 yr old WR back as a FA. Ship has sailed...
I never would say no, at the right price.

But yeah, at some point a player is a mere shadow of what they used to be. Whether it is injuries or age. Which is why it will be very interesting to see how A-Rod performs in New York this season. Will he be Bradyesque Or Manningless?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Fans forget that one of the big draws for Adams going to the Raiders was so that his grandparents (on both sides) could finally see him play an NFL game and that his father doesn't fly and wasn't able to make the 35 hour drive to Green Bay that often. There are plenty of reasons to think Love will be an amazing QB for the Packers but I don't know that we can somehow blame Rodgers for Adams leaving when Rodgers and Adams were apparently pretty good friends and Adams was the unquestionable #1 receiver in the league with Rodgers throwing him the ball.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every free agent that signs with another team is generally because their previous team didn't meet their demands (or cut them) so, they signed somewhere else. Not sure why people think Green Bay is somehow alone in 'offending' their previous employees with low offers.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't buy that Adams actually wanted to stay in GB. Great story though "Adams forced out of GB by stingy GM". The Packers reportedly finally came up to what Davante wanted, but by then it was too late.

So, Idk but it sounds to me like you just supported my point. Unless youre trying to say that the Packers FO didnt intially come at Adams with an insulting offer? I guess then Adams made that part up, if you believe it didnt happen that way

Why would Adams lie about that? So the Packers fans like him more? I really doubt he cares what the fans think of him. With the track record of the Packers FO, Im not sure why it would be a strech to believe