The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
Saying it is one thing, at least to me it seems VERY genuine.
I saw this last night.
Yeah I’m hindsight he would’ve been better staying.
Also he says what I said in an employee meeting last week.
No regrets
Make a decision and stick by it. That’s just good advice we should never drive in the rear view mirror. Take an occasional look but staring too long will only make us crash

Sounds like our FO low balled him below expectation a year prior to leaving. That’s the way it goes I wish I had his financial problems :whistling:
I’d do nothing but give rightful praise to God if I made $28m annual. I can’t say I feel sorry for him he’s been exponentially blessed. It wasn’t meant to be I wish him well on his path elsewhere.
PS. If he stays in that room too long expect a lung disease! My lord

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davante has always been a great teammate. The timing of his praise is during contract negotiations. Any coincidence? The praise is genuine while the timing is an assist to Love.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Davante is impressed by Jordan. Then again, what else is he supposed to say?

Gotta wonder if he wishes he had stayed in GB. I don't think so. He did say he wanted to play with Carr. That lasted one year and never made much sense to me. I think he wanted to move his family west. He may also have realized that the time to win a SB in GB had passed. That may have been a little premature.

No matter. He was commanding $30 mil/year. Now the Packers are gonna pay Love $50 mil/year. Just too much for two players IMO. Now it's probably possible to do this and still compete for a SB. It's just awfully tough to get the other players needed for a run.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw this last night.
Yeah I’m hindsight he would’ve been better staying.
Also he says what I said in an employee meeting last week.
No regrets
Make a decision and stick by it. That’s just good advice we should never drive in the rear view mirror. Take an occasional look but staring too long will only make us crash

Sounds like our FO low balled him below expectation a year prior to leaving. That’s the way it goes I wish I had his financial problems :whistling:
I’d do nothing but give rightful praise to God if I made $28m annual. I can’t say I feel sorry for him he’s been exponentially blessed. It wasn’t meant to be I wish him well on his path elsewhere.
PS. If he stays in that room too long expect a lung disease! My lord
Reminds me of a saying - it's ok to look at your past, just don't stare. Or to paraphrase Nietzsche - If you stare into the abyss too long, the abyss stares back.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I like Devante Adams, we should not have resigned him. Getting a 1st and 2nd for him followed by finding several excellent low cost draftees - no question that Gute played it perfectly given the cards he was dealt.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as I like Devante Adams, we should not have resigned him. Getting a 1st and 2nd for him followed by finding several excellent low cost draftees - no question that Gute played it perfectly given the cards he was dealt.
Yeah not many people see this and you're right. The Packers ended up better off without Adams, specifically his huge salary numbers. Fact is, the top 5 WRs are gonna get $30 mil/year plus. Combine that with an elite QB at $50-60 mil/year, and it gets hard to field a SB team.

And the Rodgers/Adams combo had their chances to win a SB and it just wasn't in the cards. Bringing him back would not have changed that.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

However, like everything that plays out well hindsight justifies it - it could have fell autrociously as well.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah not many people see this and you're right. The Packers ended up better off without Adams, specifically his huge salary numbers. Fact is, the top 5 WRs are gonna get $30 mil/year plus. Combine that with an elite QB at $50-60 mil/year, and it gets hard to field a SB team.

And the Rodgers/Adams combo had their chances to win a SB and it just wasn't in the cards. Bringing him back would not have changed that.
Yup. Look at the Chiefs. Got rid of their top high dollar WR, and then win two SBs with cheaper talent at WR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. Look at the Chiefs. Got rid of their top high dollar WR, and then win two SBs with cheaper talent at WR.
Interesting comment about the Chiefs. Mahomes turns any WR up a few notches. To your point, they haven't missed a beet since Hill left for Miami - and mostly drafting at the end of the rounds. Even butter-handed MVS played better with Mahomes than he did with Rodgers. Well, at least it looked that way to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Interesting comment about the Chiefs. Mahomes turns any WR up a few notches. To your point, they haven't missed a beet since Hill left for Miami - and mostly drafting at the end of the rounds. Even butter-handed MVS played better with Mahomes than he did with Rodgers. Well, at least it looked that way to me.
Rodgers was the same way, with being able to make receivers look better than they actually are. I can't help but notice that Randall Cobb and MVS are both free agents and The Jets made Allen Lazard available for trading. All 3 were the mains cogs of the Packer offense in 2022.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was the same way, with being able to make receivers look better than they actually are. I can't help but notice that Randall Cobb and MVS are both free agents and The Jets made Allen Lazard available for trading. All 3 were the mains cogs of the Packer offense in 2022.

I will still state Lazard isn't nearly as bad as he is being played out to be now...there are very few transcendent level type players that you could literally pluck up from any team, put them on any team and their production doesn't change much. It is a VERY RARE player that can do that. So much about a player's success is situational...fit with scheme, fit within their positional room, the way they gel with other personnel...even their personal life and if it is or isn't on track.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Bingo.

Imo, the impact of WR1 is far less than the current compensation currently says. WR's are a dime a dozen imo. Especially in our offense.
I'd much rather have one of the best DT's in the league. Those dudes blow up opponent's playbooks.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will still state Lazard isn't nearly as bad as he is being played out to be now...there are very few transcendent level type players that you could literally pluck up from any team, put them on any team and their production doesn't change much. It is a VERY RARE player that can do that. So much about a player's success is situational...fit with scheme, fit within their positional room, the way they gel with other personnel...even their personal life and if it is or isn't on track.
You said the same thing about Deguara ;)

While I agree that Lazard is good enough to be in the NFL, I do not think he is good enough to be a starting WR, yet alone the #1 starting receiver on your depth chart (Packers 2022). Nor should the Jets have ever given him a 4 year $44M contract.

IMO.....Lazard's limited success with the Packers was a result of having a FHOF QB throwing to him, combined with a depth chart that probably would have allowed Jeff Janis to start. My proof? Look at Lazards year with the Jets. Your proof....will maybe play out in 2024, but again, it will be with Aaron Rodgers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While I agree that Lazard is good enough to be in the NFL, I do not think he is good enough to be a starting WR, yet alone the #1 starting receiver on your depth chart (Packers 2022). Nor should the Jets have ever given him a 4 year $44M contract.

IMO.....Lazard's limited success with the Packers was a result of having a FHOF QB throwing to him, combined with a depth chart that probably would have allowed Jeff Janis to start. My proof? Look at Lazards year with the Jets. Your proof....will maybe play out in 2024, but again, it will be with Aaron Rodgers.

LOL

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I never saw anything very impressive about Lazard. He was a capable #3 WR, maybe grade that a little higher because of his blocking skills. I never knew him to drop a lot of passes. Yeah he played in Adams' shadow, but most guys would.

Same with Cobb. And back to your point, a HOF QB can make receivers look good. I was surprised when the Jets agreed to take Lazard and Cobb, and I doubt that either will be in the NFL this year.

Rodgers got damn near everything he asked for with the Jets. Now there's that little matter of getting them a SB win. I won't hold my breath.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I never saw anything very impressive about Lazard. He was a capable #3 WR, maybe grade that a little higher because of his blocking skills. I never knew him to drop a lot of passes. Yeah he played in Adams' shadow, but most guys would.

Same with Cobb. And back to your point, a HOF QB can make receivers look good. I was surprised when the Jets agreed to take Lazard and Cobb, and I doubt that either will be in the NFL this year.

Rodgers got damn near everything he asked for with the Jets. Now there's that little matter of getting them a SB win. I won't hold my breath.
He's got to be able to get through the 1st quarter of the 1st game first. Until the Jets fix their awful offensive line, they aren't a threat to win anything imo.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's got to be able to get through the 1st quarter of the 1st game first. Until the Jets fix their awful offensive line, they aren't a threat to win anything imo.
Yeah and that's the point. Rodgers was losing mobility while he was still in GB. Stuff happens when you turn 40. And Rodgers, in his day, was very good at getting out of tight spots and delivering some very difficult throws.

And I'm not dissing Rodgers. He did great things in GB. He also taught a valuable lesson. While elite QB play is a necessary element of almost any SB run, the supporting cast has to be there as well. That was rarely the case in the time he spent at 1265. And it doesn't look much different in NYC. Alas, NYC fans are a lot less forgiving than those in GB.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was surprised when the Jets agreed to take Lazard and Cobb, and I doubt that either will be in the NFL this year.
Lazard will be. He signed a 4 year deal with the Jets in 2023. Cutting him now would create an $18.736 dead cap hit. Now they could spread that out over 2 seasons, but I don't see that happening. He hardly "cost" the Jets much (on the cap) last season, that isn't the case now.

As far as Cobb goes, I expect him back in Green Bay, to retire as a Packer. I think he has seen better days.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lazard will be. He signed a 4 year deal with the Jets in 2023. Cutting him now would create an $18.736 dead cap hit. Now they could spread that out over 2 seasons, but I don't see that happening. He hardly "cost" the Jets much (on the cap) last season, that isn't the case now.

As far as Cobb goes, I expect him back in Green Bay, to retire as a Packer. I think he has seen better days.
Good point on Lazard. But a head scratcher as to why the Jets gave him such a long contract. The $11 mil/year is about right, but 4 years? And now they have the cap hit, and other than Wilson, their WR group is kinda skinny, I think.... And Rodgers hasn't established any chemistry with Wilson, or anyone really. Too bad that Jeopardy thing didn't work out, or RFK Jr, or - ah just forget it.

And Cobb should retire as a Packer. A good player, a lot of good memories. He deserves that.

Reaction score
We can now say we got Quay Walker plus about $23mil annual $$ if my math is right. The bonus was we were able to trade his acquired 2nd Rounder in order to move up to #33 (or whatever) which solidified a deep threat (Watson) for Rodgers/Love. It’s totally hindsight but I think we made the correct move to date

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We can now say we got Quay Walker plus about $23mil annual $$ if my math is right. The bonus was we were able to trade his acquired 2nd Rounder in order to move up to #33 (or whatever) which solidified a deep threat (Watson) for Rodgers/Love. It’s totally hindsight but I think we made the correct move to date
Yeah when a guy wants out, best to get what you can. Gluten managed that trade well and the timing was good -and so was the return.

As for Walker, I'm hoping his play improves in tandem with Cooper.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If what has been widely reported is true, Gute tried to keep DaVante. DA made the decision to leave. I agree Gute deserves credit for the WR room since his departure, but not for letting him go. IMO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If what has been widely reported is true, Gute tried to keep DaVante. DA made the decision to leave. I agree Gute deserves credit for the WR room since his departure, but not for letting him go. IMO.
I haven't read anything or saw all the devante video, but my understanding was we low balled him and he was insulted. I'm sure Gute wanted to keep him, but at a more team friendly cost.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Their passing offense has missed quite a few beats, especially last year. The offense was much better with Hill. An improved running game and a much improved defense alongside an improving Mahomes have led them to the latest SBs. IMO.

Members online