The Jordan Love Era Begins

Will Jordan Love be 3 in a row for the Packers?

• Yes, he's a FHOF Player

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • He'll be pro bowl good but not FHOF good

Votes: 20 28.2%
  • He'll be average

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • No, he'll be a below average bust

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Too early to Tell

Votes: 31 43.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That will be week 1 ....

Week 1 will be the mother of all over reaction games by Packer and Bear fans. The losing team will feel that they are not on the right path with their QB and will need to find someone else in 2024 and the rest of the season is doom and gloom and the winning team will be strutting around declaring the dominance of years will continue or has ended. The clown shoes of the sports world media will have their usual stupid takes ramped up if the Packers lose.
That’s the reaction all The time week 1 here

hell 2014 1st game people said pack won’t make playoffs .. after 1st game

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After Rodgers first 2 starts back in 2008 the Packers were 2-0. It looked promising. Next thing you know we finish 6-10 with 2 of those wins over the 0-16 Lions.

Record alone isn't enough to judge Love's play.

We finished with only 6 wins, but 5th in offensive points. 8th in passing yards. 5th in passing TDs. And our defense crapped the bed with 21st (assuming I'm counting right) in points allowed. 25th in rush yards allowed.

Love could play wonderfully and be drug down by the defense. He could play dreadfully and be elevated by the defense.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We finished with only 6 wins, but 5th in offensive points. 8th in passing yards. 5th in passing TDs. And our defense crapped the bed with 21st (assuming I'm counting right) in points allowed. 25th in rush yards allowed.

Love could play wonderfully and be drug down by the defense. He could play dreadfully and be elevated by the defense.
You sound like Captain.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You sound like Captain.
Which is kind of nice. I kind of miss the guy around here.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't have "Joe Barry elevates something" on my BINGO card this year :mad:

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have "Joe Barry elevates something" on my BINGO card this year :mad:

Part of me wonders if some of the friction last year was Jerry Gray pushing too hard for press man and having a little insubordination leak into the corners. Not saying that's the case, but but if Gray wasn't being a "good solider," then you're going to see issues on the field.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Part of me wonders if some of the friction last year was Jerry Gray pushing too hard for press man and having a little insubordination leak into the corners. Not saying that's the case, but but if Gray wasn't being a "good solider," then you're going to see issues on the field.
I was glad to see Gray leave GB. I wasn't much of a Joe Whitt Jr. fan either. Much like the Packers DC Joe Barry, all 3 of them are knowledgeable teachers of the craft, but it just seems like they all have gotten less out of their players collectively, than they should have. On paper, the defense has had some real talent over the last 5 or so years, yet that hasn't translated into consistent good play on the field. Barry has one more shot at this and if he craps the bed again, with an underperforming defense, it might be time to just clean out all the defensive coaches, hire a new DC and let him handpick his entire staff. Barry wasn't given that opportunity and I think it was a mistake.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting point. You've got me thinking about this now. The coaches all have to be on the same page, all the time. You can't have assistants going maverick.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard about that last year and i'm not sure it bodes better for this team. On one hand, you can't have assistants going rogue. It undermines the team mentality. On the other, from what I remember and I could be wrong. Gray wanted more man, aggressive, etc and Barry wanted zone schemes. They got better when they played more man and aggressive IMO.

I also thought at the time it was more of Gray not agreeing with the overall philosophy with Barry. But I think the media then blew that into he was going rogue and I don't believe that is what happened. Players may have picked up on the disagreements and it undermined things, but I don't believe gray was just teaching and calling what he wanted for the DB's.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was glad to see Gray leave GB. I wasn't much of a Joe Whitt Jr. fan either. Much like the Packers DC Joe Barry, all 3 of them are knowledgeable teachers of the craft, but it just seems like they all have gotten less out of their players collectively, than they should have. On paper, the defense has had some real talent over the last 5 or so years, yet that hasn't translated into consistent good play on the field. Barry has one more shot at this and if he craps the bed again, with an underperforming defense, it might be time to just clean out all the defensive coaches, hire a new DC and let him handpick his entire staff. Barry wasn't given that opportunity and I think it was a mistake.

Prior to Gary getting hurt last year, the packers' defense had the most snaps from first and second round draft picks in the NFL. Gute has quite literally spent the most draft capital on defense of any GM in the league in order to offset the travesty that is Joe Barry as DC.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Prior to Gary getting hurt last year, the packers' defense had the most snaps from first and second round draft picks in the NFL. Gute has quite literally spent the most draft capital on defense of any GM in the league in order to offset the travesty that is Joe Barry as DC.
Pretty much the same thing TT did before he left, with the same results. I'd say Gute has been wiser with his FA's and drafts picks, yet he's had 2 different DC's and both have failed thus far. So is it coaching, scouting, bad luck or all of the above?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between Capers and Petine we had not seen much in the way of defense when we only needed a little particularly in the postseason. Now even a good defense may only get us near .500.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Between Capers and Petine we had not seen much in the way of defense when we only needed a little particularly in the postseason. Now even a good defense may only get us near .500.
I hated that both those coaches had the 3 man rush as part of their system. And that really hurt us on a number of occasions.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hated that both those coaches had the 3 man rush as part of their system. And that really hurt us on a number of occasions.
Oh! Did I EVER hate the 3 man rush. And the famous OWENS CAUGHT IT PLAY back in the 1998 playoff was a 3 man rush. The only time I recall Lombardi using it was at the end of the 1962 championship game. Packers had a 16-7 lead with under 3 minutes to play and a long field. It was too late to run the ball and with the swirling icy wind gusting from 25-40 you could not throw long. Bengston took out a lineman and inserted a safety. It kept Tittle and the Giants throwing short and using clock. Time ran out and we won.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Oh! Did I EVER hate the 3 man rush. And the famous OWENS CAUGHT IT PLAY back in the 1998 playoff was a 3 man rush. The only time I recall Lombardi using it was at the end of the 1962 championship game. Packers had a 16-7 lead with under 3 minutes to play and a long field. It was too late to run the ball and with the swirling icy wind gusting from 25-40 you could not throw long. Bengston took out a lineman and inserted a safety. It kept Tittle and the Giants throwing short and using clock. Time ran out and we won.
As Packer fans know all too well, playing with only a one score lead is not time to get conservative on offense or defense. Nothing more frustrating then watching the offense run 3 straight running plays up the middle and have to punt the ball away with 2 minutes still on the clock. Even more frustrating, watching 2 DL players putting no pressure on the QB and allowing the opposing offense to **** and dunk their way down the field to tie it up or win.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pretty telling stuff on a big difference between Rodgers and Love, when it comes to how they treat their receivers. Some will prefer Rodgers method, I prefer Love's.

Here if what Cobb had to say about Rodgers"

“I’m telling you, one day he’s going to lose his (expletive),” Cobb said. “If he don’t trust you, he’s not going to throw you the ball. I can promise you that. He does not like throwing interceptions, so if he can’t trust you’re going to run the right route, he’s not going to throw it.”

Members online