The game vs the Patriots

NHPatsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what is everyone FEAR for the game? Mine? Lacey running wild on our D. I think if they stop the run this game be very close and winnable for my Pats.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
Davante Adams (second round pick this year) has had some nice games but has disappeared since the bye week, Jarrett Boykin has regressed since last season and doesn't see a lot of snaps anymore. While our TEs have improved over the last few games no one would lose sleep over any of them.

My best guess is that Adams will see a lot of targets vs. the Patriots and it's possible rookie Jeff Janis (who has blazing speed) will finally see some action.
I find myself curious about seeing Janis. He is White Lightning. But what makes you think McCarthy will unveil him this week?
I don't see that happening.

D

Deleted member 6794

I find myself curious about seeing Janis. He is White Lightning. But what makes you think McCarthy will unveil him this week?
I don't see that happening.

I'm not sure about it but the way the Patriots cover opposing receivers I think it would make sense to bring in Janis for some snaps and send him on go routes to stretch the defense.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
I'm not sure about it but the way the Patriots cover opposing receivers I think it would make sense to bring in Janis for some snaps and send him on go routes to stretch the defense.
And they sit Adams? Or do they go back to a 4 receiver set and keep a TE back?

It has been LONG time since we've seen that.

I would actually love to see that.

It would mean they are gaining confidence in the offense other than AR.

Last edited:

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the keys for the defense is try to make Brady frustrated, when that happens he does have a tendency to make mistakes, we saw it against KC.

Mklangelo

Feng Shui Debunker
Reaction score
One of the keys for the defense is try to make Brady frustrated, when that happens he does have a tendency to make mistakes, we saw it against KC.

As I believe. It really might not take tremendous pressure on Brady to allow some opportunities for our Defense.

NHPatsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady like most QB's pressure him and he will make mistakes, although this year he is throwing well on the run. I see the pats trying to scheme and confuse Rogers. Not like he seen a ton of NE and BB an amazing schemer and been in luck and manning a heads for years lol

D

Deleted member 6794

And they sit Adams? Or do they go back to a 4 receiver set and keep a TE back?

It has been LONG time since we've seen that.

I would actually love to see that.

It would mean they are gaining confidence in the offense other than AR.

I would expect them to use 4 WR sets.

NHPatsFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pats have a harder time w RB and TE they have a rather deep CB group. I think 4 wide plays into the pats d strength.

D

Deleted member 6794

Pats have a harder time w RB and TE they have a rather deep CB group. I think 4 wide plays into the pats d strength.

It's true the Patriots have troubles covering TEs, I don't trust Quarless or Richard Rodgers to take over the game on Sunday though.

I don't want the Packers to line up with four receivers all the time, just on aome occasions.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll take your word on the Browner/Nelson thing - should be a fun match-up - general wisdom round here is that you have to beat the Patriots with your 3rd/4th options - Green Bay have been pretty deep with WR's last few years - is it the same this year?
I won't tip toe around this one. No, we don't have great 3rd and 4th options this year. We used to have James Jones or even Randall Cobb as our third and fourth options. We've got new guys and underachieving TEs. I'm not dumping on my team but just being realistic. A good passing defense can shut down our top two WRs as the Vikings did yesterday, and aside from a dribble of pass completions to the rest of the group, the focus then shifts to Eddie Lacy. Luckily he is able to carry the load more than capably.

When your opponent takes away your strengths, that is the perfect time for your lesser-known players to emerge. Some of our WRs and TEs outside of Nelson and Cobb are in position to do it, the question is will they against the Patriots.

Pitbul

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be the best you have to play with the best. This game will come down to defensive pressure and who can create turnovers. Its an even game because we are playing at home against a winning team with a great quarterback. The fan support and Lambeau magic will be the difference.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what is everyone FEAR for the game? Mine? Lacey running wild on our D. I think if they stop the run this game be very close and winnable for my Pats.
Since the Packers don't have bonafide studs as the 3rd/4th options (Adams, Quarless, R. Rodgers?) I think it would make more sense to go Lacy in the backfield and 4 WR's. Would force NE into dime D with more DB's and less LB's on the field. If the WR aren't open Rodgers can dump-off to Lacy in the flats with some room to run. If AR chooses to handoff (I know, he seldom chooses this option) then if Lacy gets through the line will be running downhill at a DB.

An average LB can cover our TE's, so the mismatch formations will keep more DB's on the field.

PATSvsGB12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys - another Patriots fan here. Born and raised in NE, currently living in ATL, and have tons of family in Milwaukee. Thanks for having me here. I hope we can trade knowledge about our teams while we continue to dive into all the possible match ups all week leading to game day. I can't tell you all how excited I am. In fact, I could careless about eating turkey :) I've been reading this forum all day and figured I'd register, chime in, and give my predictions.

I think both teams match up well and are fairly similar. Both QB's and offenses are currently playing lights out! We all know that both Rodgers and Brady will score and no defense will completely shut them out. Both team have a respectable running threat, but I believe Lacy > Blount and Gray. Most of you are correct...on paper, outside of Brady, Gronk, and Revis,...the Patriots are just a bunch of scrubs, middle of the pack defense, bunch of frodo's playing wide receiver. We struggled early on (similar to you guys) and some NE folks even wanted to ship Brady out. But for some reason our team is clicking on all cylinders after that embarrassing lost to KC and now the so-called scrubs are all of a sudden producing at a high level. The scary thing is, I see this team improving every week. If you gauge this team (especially the defense) with your eyes and not a stat sheet, I believe you'll see they're better than everyone thought.

Even though this game is being played at Lambeau and Rodgers is virtually as invincible as Brady in Foxboro, I think the difference maker in this game will be the Patriots defense. Though we're not getting tons of highlight reels for sacks as a JJ Watt would, somehow we're always putting pressure on the QB. For the majority of the snaps, I believe Belichick will put Revis on Cobb and Browner on Nelson with McCourty bracketing. I think they'll limit Nelson and Cobb as they've done to:

Brandon Marshall + Alshon Jeffries
Demaryius Thomas + Emmanuel Sanders + Julius Thomas
TY Hilton + Reggie Wayne
Calvin Johnson + Golden Tate

HOWEVER - the main problem is we didn't have Aaron Rodgers throwing to all those receivers listed above. AR's accuracy and ability to make plays and while scrambling is simply awesome to watch. Both the Packers and Patriots control their destiny moving forward. The media paints the Packers as soft, unproven, and beating up on weak teams. With a win over the Patriots, you'd definitely shut everyone up. As for the Patriots, we've had a long stretch of very hard games. We faced the #1 team in the NFL, #1 offense in the NFL, #1 defense in the NFL, and now about to face the #1 QB in the NFL. Win or lose, I hope both teams escape this game without significant injuries. I'm hoping to see a rematch of these two teams in AZ. But for week 13, I like a Pats win because of the list below:

Coaching - NE
QB - push
WR - GB
RB - GB
TE - NE
ST - NE
D - NE
Home Advantage - GB
Playing in Cold Weather - push

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers defense is better than New England's and we'll hold them to 10 fewer points in a high scoring game. Pack 38 Patriots 28

H

HardRightEdge

Welcome, good to have great fans from opposing teams on the forum.

I guarantee that the Patriots will put Browner on Nelson and Revis will cover Cobb.

My main concern in this game is Gronk. The Packers have had troubles covering TEs all season long and we don't have anyone capable of covering that guy one on one.
That would make sense (size-on-size, quick-on-quick) except NE has taken a SEA/Sherman-type approach with Revis...he plays mostly fixed on one side of the field. So as with Seattle, it looks like the Packers that will choose the match ups.

Such as it is, I'm not sure Browner can handle Nelson's long speed without the press-mauling and down field bumping he learned in Seattle. In the event of conscientious officiating, Browner would need top side help.

It seems you have a PFF subscription judging from some of the stats you've posted. If so, can you check what they might have for Revis' passer-rating-against? After week 10 or 11, I can't recall which, I heard it stated as an absurdly low 2.0 that strains credulity. He certainly looked at the top of his game over the last 3 weeks.

H

HardRightEdge

I think the Packers defense is better than New England's and we'll hold them to 10 fewer points in a high scoring game. Pack 38 Patriots 28
I question that.

NE doesn't have the flashy sack and INT stats people like to look at, but they play very coherent, consistent ensemble defense...they have that whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-parts look about them that I strain, and fail, to see in the Packer D. During this 7 game win streak NE has not given up more than 25 points in a game, including 21 and 20 against Denver at home and Indy on the road, respectively.

One notable stat...NE has 11 forced fumbles with 8 recoveries. Packer ball protection in the expected 25 degree weather will be paramount.

I have a hard time seeing the Packers cracking 30 points. I expect a close game in the 20's. The 58 over looks suspect to me.

H

HardRightEdge

Since the Packers don't have bonafide studs as the 3rd/4th options (Adams, Quarless, R. Rodgers?) I think it would make more sense to go Lacy in the backfield and 4 WR's. Would force NE into dime D with more DB's and less LB's on the field. If the WR aren't open Rodgers can dump-off to Lacy in the flats with some room to run. If AR chooses to handoff (I know, he seldom chooses this option) then if Lacy gets through the line will be running downhill at a DB.

An average LB can cover our TE's, so the mismatch formations will keep more DB's on the field.
I agree about Lacy. He's an under-appreciated threat in space. Quarless doesn't wow anybody and is not likely to make the catch unless the ball is right on him, but he has a knack for getting open against zone. There will be underneath possibilities if Rodgers avails himself of them.

H

HardRightEdge

A bit of experience for white lightning.
Something tells me Janis has been doing some zigging when Rodgers is zagging in practice reps. We know that's something that will keep you on the bench. And that's assuming Janis even gets practice reps with Rodgers; he might be relaged to scout team. I somehow doubt he learned much in the way of ready-for-prime-time option route running at Saginaw Valley State.

Maybe they've been trying to coach him out of the body catching he did in college and he's been dropping balls in practice as a result.

Whatever the cause, it would appear he's deemed unready for the NFL. There's way more to playing WR in this offense than a flashy 40 time. Maybe if he were with the Vikes they'd throw him out there like Charles Johnson. Not in Green Bay.

The Packers don't even have him working on special teams, even as a coverage guy.

I think it's a little late in the season, and especially in a game like this, to experiment with giving him experience outside garbage time. An injury or two might change that assessment by necessity.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I question that.

NE doesn't have the flashy sack and INT stats people like to look at, but they play very coherent, consistent ensemble defense...they have that whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-parts look about them that I strain, and fail, to see in the Packer D. During this 7 game win streak NE has not given up more than 25 points in a game, including 21 and 20 against Denver at home and Indy on the road, respectively.

One notable stat...NE has 11 forced fumbles with 8 recoveries. Packer ball protection in the expected 25 degree weather will be paramount.

I have a hard time seeing the Packers cracking 30 points. I expect a close game in the 20's. The 58 over looks suspect to me.
ensemble? do they also harmonize? :rolleyes:

H

HardRightEdge

One weakness I'd expect the Packer to exploit would be Pat Chung. He's not as terrible in pass coverage as he once was, but he's still questionable. Good tackler, strong in run support, sometimes clueless in zone. Vulnerable in the red zone.