The Amari Rodgers Thread

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Missed when he didn't re-sign Cook at TE. Rewatched the Dallas playoff game highlights recently and he was a stud even before the toe tapping sideline catch.
Agreed. How GB could have let Cook go is a mystery to me. Yeah the catch against Dallas in the playoffs was huge, but the guy could just flat out play. And I don't think he was asking for a king's ransom to resign. That was a swing and a miss.

I agree with Poker that the WR position was largely an afterthought in the draft and FA for too many years. That's not entirely fair, as Ty's analysis points out. It's hard to argue with the picks he made at the time. But spending 80 to 90% of prime draft capital on D, to the detriment of the O, carried a high price.

I'm willing to just let that go and give Gluten the benefit of the doubt for the team we'll see this year. The signs are certainly promising.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The situation is slowly coming back to my memory. Heck, I even posted Cook's twitter comments back then. According to Cook, he never turned down a deal in Green Bay. So did that mean he was never offered a contract in Green Bay? Sounds like it and if true, it was a mistake in my opinion.

This is the part about his agent that is the fun part. I'm having trouble finding the news at the time, but after signing with the Raiders, I recall Cook firing his agent. Ergo, it is possible an offer was extended, the AGENT rejected it, and once a new pay check was secured, said agent was terminated.

That is more or less as I recall it, but it's been 5 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is the part about his agent that is the fun part. I'm having trouble finding the news at the time, but after signing with the Raiders, I recall Cook firing his agent. Ergo, it is possible an offer was extended, the AGENT rejected it, and once a new pay check was secured, said agent was terminated.

That is more or less as I recall it, but it's been 5 years.
Could be. I remember hearing variations of it. "Agent never saw the offer". "Agent rejected the offer and asked for more, which TT said "no" and signed Bennett. I do find it hard to believe that if there was an offer, Cook didn't know about it, thus his twitter post. Who knows.

I believe the rap on Cook at the time, was that he wasn't much of a blocker and Bennett was. Which I think was the reason why many thought that Bennett not only got more money, but was the right fit in GB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be. I remember hearing variations of it. "Agent never saw the offer". "Agent rejected the offer and asked for more, which TT said "no" and signed Bennett. I do find it hard to believe that if there was an offer, Cook didn't know about it, thus his twitter post. Who knows.

I believe the rap on Cook at the time, was that he wasn't much of a blocker and Bennett was. Which I think was the reason why many thought that Bennett not only got more money, but was the right fit in GB.
Man. I would think an agent would have to show all offers to the player. That in itself, is grounds for firing imo.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man. I would think an agent would have to show all offers to the player. That in itself, is grounds for firing imo.

Assuming I'm remember properly, the agent was fired as a result of the whole shooting match.

But also, I bet they aren't required to. Hypothetically, should an agent bring an offer of the veteran minimum to a player with an expected FA value of 20M/year? Were I that player, I would legitimately ask why he's bothering me and wasting my time. This is his job, call me when we're quibiling about details.

Of course the counter to that point is at what point is the offer made in good faith? 90% of expected? 85%?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. And yeah, those are solid Cobb numbers and he was a solid #3, even #2 receiver in his best years. I think a lot of guys do fail because they lack the work ethic to transition from college ball, where a lot of these guys are coddled and play a much shorter season.

Even so, I'd think a guy selected in the third round could manage that. Not always, apparently.
Lol, mental weakness and incompetence has no artificial boundaries like round drafted. There have been many, many 1st rounders that failed to make it in the NFL because they didn't have any inner strength.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good memory. And certainly with what everyone knew at the time, Bennett was a superior choice, for receiving and blocking, than Cook. We all know how that turned out. Both Bennett and Graham, two high profile TE FAs, total busts. Bennett turned into a head case, Graham's best days were over. Here's to having more luck with Musgrave and Kraft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, mental weakness and incompetence has no artificial boundaries like round drafted. There have been many, many 1st rounders that failed to make it in the NFL because they didn't have any inner strength.
Very true. I guess my favorites are Ryan Leaf and Johnny Manziel - and JaMarcus Russell. But it's not just QBs. There was that Tony Mandarich guy too - and many, many more. Even for the most talented, the jump to the NFL is extremely difficult.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
you had to drag this thread back to life lol...is that vomit i taste?
We’ve got to beat on somebody!
LOL to both of ya!

I figured everyone would be interested in an Amari update.

Next week, I am doing a piece on Jeff Janis....stay tuned!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming I'm remember properly, the agent was fired as a result of the whole shooting match.

But also, I bet they aren't required to. Hypothetically, should an agent bring an offer of the veteran minimum to a player with an expected FA value of 20M/year? Were I that player, I would legitimately ask why he's bothering me and wasting my time. This is his job, call me when we're quibiling about details.

Of course the counter to that point is at what point is the offer made in good faith? 90% of expected? 85%?
I figure the player and agent have some sort of contract/written agreement. If either one feels strongly about this sort of thing, spell it out.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Very true. I guess my favorites are Ryan Leaf and Johnny Manziel - and JaMarcus Russell. But it's not just QBs. There was that Tony Mandarich guy too - and many, many more. Even for the most talented, the jump to the NFL is extremely difficult.
Mandarich had the strength. His problem was the NFL wouldn't let him pick it up at the pharmacy anymore.

Sucks. Four of the first five picks in his draft are in Canton. Who'd we pick?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

While I don't know what is required of a Sports agent, I am pretty sure that a lawyer is required by law, to present any offer to his client, that the opposing side puts on the table. If I am wrong, then I watched way too many episodes of "Suits".

Given the amount of money that agents make and the fact that most of them work on a percentage of the deal, if I was a player, I would want to know each and every detail of any conversation my agent was having about my future.

I also understand that there might be a lot of "loose" conversations by phone between the Packers and players agents. Something like this"

Gute: "Hey Joe, we would like Jared back on the team, but we are still working on some things on our end, probably going to be around a $5-6M per type of deal, we will get back to you."

Joe: "Thanks Gutey, Jared would love to be a Packer, but he's seeing offers from a bunch of teams, so let me know what you got ASAP."

So yes, in that situation the Packers can say they were interested in bringing Cook back, but Cook and his agent are correct in saying that he never got an offer. The truth sometimes lands in the middle.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mandarich had the strength. His problem was the NFL wouldn't let him pick it up at the pharmacy anymore.

All goes back to winning that damn final game of the year against the Cardinals! Or even the game before that, against the Vikings, which the Packers won. I hope those people who savor wins, are still savoring those 2 wins. For the Record, there were only 48,892 in attendance at Lambeau that day the Packers beat the Vikings to up their record to 3-12.

Had we lost one of those games, we get the #1 Pick and probably take Aikman. That said, who knows how Aikman at QB would have changed the course of this Franchise, I doubt Favre is ever a Packer and probably not Rodgers either.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think we passed on Barry Sanders. Aikman went #1 I think. Who are the other two? (Not that I really want a reminder......)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think we passed on Barry Sanders. Aikman went #1 I think. Who are the other two? (Not that I really want a reminder......)
Draft#TeamPlayer, Position, College
1Dallas CowboysTroy Aikman qb, UCLA
2Green Bay PackersTony Mandarich T, Michigan State
3Detroit LionsBarry Sanders rb, Oklahoma State
4Kansas City ChiefsDerrick Thomas LB, Alabama
5Atlanta FalconsDeion Sanders dB, Florida State

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Draft#TeamPlayer, Position, College
1Dallas CowboysTroy Aikman qb, UCLA
2Green Bay PackersTony Mandarich T, Michigan State
3Detroit LionsBarry Sanders rb, Oklahoma State
4Kansas City ChiefsDerrick Thomas LB, Alabama
5Atlanta FalconsDeion Sanders dB, Florida StateOuch

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, it wasn't just bad enough to pick Mandarich and watch him bomb, it was what the Packers lost out on had they passed on him or as I said, lost one of their last 2 games and gotten Aikman.
It would be so much fun to run a simulation with Aikman at QB. Someone said it, might have been you, that would probably mean no Favre, no Rodgers.

When GB took Mandarich, the organization simply wasn't committed to winning IMO. Taking Aikman may have been the worst thing for all, including Aikman. That all changed when Harlan became president, brought in Wolf and we know the rest.