Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seems like there are a lot of pieces in play here and not just securing a GM. It's securing a GM who can work with some of the current staff of the Packers. Ball has been a very important man in the Packers organization. While he hasn't been in the spotlight, he has done a lot behind the scenes to keep the team in a very good position cap wise, so retaining him I would think is important. However, if the reports are true that if Ball is hired as GM and that ultimately would send other key cogs in the Packer organization packing, it may be a terrible move.

I'm getting the sense that moving away from TT over to Ball is just a change in name and not really a change in how things will be done in Green Bay. If that is the case and it results in the loss of these other guys, wtf is Murphy thinking? I don't think the Packers need a complete enema that purges all the front office people, rather just a promotion of someone like Wolf or Gutekunst, guys that have been and can continue to work with the other important pieces of the staff.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point, I'm going to dial my frustration level to zero and wait it out. How much of this is a smoke screen? Who are the 'outside' candidates? There's no way to know since the people who do know, for obvious reasons, won't be talking.
In house guys are first up, if for no other reason than they're already in the same building. It wouldn't do to announce outside appointments a week in advance because if something changes, people end up with egg on their faces.
One thing I feel very sure of is that by this time next week, we're going to have answers to a lot of, if not all, of our questions.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McGinn is saying that his beliefs are that Ball will get the job, Gute would be his right hand man, Wolf would leave, and that McCarthy would quit.

So I mean, if it gets McCarthy to leave, I'm not gonna hate that.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
McGinn is saying that his beliefs are that Ball will get the job, Gute would be his right hand man, Wolf would leave, and that McCarthy would quit.

I don't know that I see McCarthy quitting. I mean, maybe if he sees the writing on the wall, but I think he's gonna try to milk this job for everything that it has. He's not going to go to another team and coach Aaron Rodgers.

Just my thoughts. I could be very wrong about that.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Were you able to derive insights of the thought process involving draft process and player acquisition strategies?
Sheesh, truthfully I don't remember. That was like, 1997-1998 or so and as I said one of my co-workers back then misappropriated the book.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers just need to trade a first-rounder for Belichick and make him coach and GM. Problem solved, Rodgers finally gets a great coach and the Packers win the next four Super Bowls.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd trust Mark Murphy more if he kept his stories straight. There was a succession plan, there wasn't a succession plan. The GM will be responsible for hiring/firing and Mike is their guy.

If McCarthy quits because of Ball that just means Ball is more of Thompson (draft/develop/shun Free Agents). I don't think MM wants that based on his remarks at his press conference.

Murphy just seems like he is in over his head with this entire thing. Doesn't seem like someone that does well with change.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers just need to trade a first-rounder for Belichick and make him coach and GM. Problem solved, Rodgers finally gets a great coach and the Packers win the next four Super Bowls.

Why not offer the Patriots 4 first rounders? By the time Belichick sits at his desk in Green Bay for the first time, he will have found a way to turn those 4 into 5.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I know MM has issues but I dont want him to quit.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Packers requested to interview the assistant GM George Patton from the Viking and they declined. I didn't think teams could decline interviews if the position is for a higher one then the potential interviewee currently holds. Is it because the Vikings are in the playoffs?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd trust Mark Murphy more if he kept his stories straight. There was a succession plan, there wasn't a succession plan. The GM will be responsible for hiring/firing and Mike is their guy.

If McCarthy quits because of Ball that just means Ball is more of Thompson (draft/develop/shun Free Agents). I don't think MM wants that based on his remarks at his press conference.

Murphy just seems like he is in over his head with this entire thing. Doesn't seem like someone that does well with change.
agree with this 100%. MM said it's got to be a good fit for him to stay. Hopefully his personality is stronger than Balls.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's what doesn't make sense to me. McGinn (and others) are saying Ball will be the GM, with Gutekunst as his top personnel/right hand man.
Why would Gutekunst settle for/ accept such a thing?

H

HardRightEdge

Here's what doesn't make sense to me. McGinn (and others) are saying Ball will be the GM, with Gutekunst as his top personnel/right hand man.
Because it would be a promotion. It would move Gutekunst a big step closer to being a personnel decision maker. Ball is more a finance guy than a football guy. I imagine under this arrangement Gutekunst would have as much control over the draft, or close to it, as Thompson did.

Honestly, though, McGinn's prediction is likely speculation or the speculation of some insider.

I don't believe hiring a consultant is just for show. Murphy may be leaning toward an insider but the interest in reviewing outside options is likely genuine.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

It makes me believe Murphy is a bigger idiot then I already believed he was. We're gonna be done like put a fork in us done here real soon.

Maybe then some people won't call it a "conspiracy" and "narcissism". Other then Aaron Rodgers this whole thing just stinks. If it plays out the way I hope it won't it's embarassing.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Because it would be a promotion. It would move Gutekunst a big step closer to being a personnel decision maker. Ball is more a finance guy than a football guy. I imagine under this arrangement Gutekunst would have as much control over the draft, or close to it, as Thompson did.

Too many hands in the cookie jar.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then Gutekunst should accept the first offer to be a real GM from elsewhere.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GM spots have dried up. Keep a job for another year and leave after the 2018 season.

I don't know that they have. Off the top of my head is the Houston job that he's rumored to have an interview for next week.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
People should realize that what isn't happening in Green Bay right now is a bunch of new people getting together with new fresh ideas who are trying to figure out how to take a team like Cleveland and make them legit. These are mostly the same people, who have been a part of a pretty successful program. They have no reason to want the drastic change some are clamoring for. Couple that with TT and MM still being involved in some capacity and these changes are probably not going to be as big as many want.

Maybe I am wrong and Ball is hired as GM, he fires MM and all the coaches and starts over, but I seriously doubt that type of move will be made nor should it be made. Remember, this is a team that the Packers organization seemed to think was pretty good, until one guy got hurt.

Myself and many of you feel differently, but I am not so sure the people making the decisions see it that way. I guess we will find out soon enough.

H

HardRightEdge

Then Gutekunst should accept the first offer to be a real GM from elsewhere.
As a rookie GM he's not going to get an offer where he has complete control over personnel and the cap. Thompson didn't even have that. Hell, Schneider has neither, to take one example. He has to share with Carroll.

Jerry Jones is his own GM and controls everything since he owns the joint. Belichick is probably pretty close given the level of trust granted from Kraft. Reid might be next on the list after winning a power struggle and getting Dorsey fired. These guys have been around the block more than a few times. Rookies have to earn power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts