Running Backs

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Justis Mosqueda, a pretty active draft guy on Twitter (@jumosq) and Packer fan, has done some interesting work in analyzing Thompson's draft tendencies in terms of preferred athletic "types." Here is the running back article.

The long and short of his point is that TT's picks at the RB position almost always meet the following minimums: 5'10", 205 lbs, 4.55 forty, and 7 second 3 cone. It's actually interesting to look at Thompson's trends as a drafter, as they seem to suggest much more emphasis on testing numbers that many would think.

As Mosqueda points out in the article, there's only one back to have submitted complete workout numbers who meets all of those minimums: Joe Mixon. He obviously has his own issues.

Here are the backs who are very close to meeting the perceived criteria:
  • Christian McCaffrey, Stanford: 5'11", 202 lbs, 4.48, 6.57 (3 lbs under)
  • Jeremy McNicholls, Boise State: 5'9", 214 lbs, 4.49, 6.93 (1" short)
  • Brian Hill, Wyoming: 6'1", 219 lbs, 4.54, 7.03 (3 hundredths slow on the 3C)
  • Aaron Jones, Texas El Paso: 5'9", 208 lbs, 4.56, 6.82 (1" short; 1 one hundredth slow)
Here are the notable backs who don't have enough information out there yet:
  • Leonard Fournette, LSU
  • Alvin Kamara, Tennessee (technically a touch slow at 4.56, but could be another close call)
  • D'onta Foreman, Texas
  • Marlon Mack, South Florida
  • Elijah Hood, North Carolina
Now none of this is to say that the testing numbers are the end all, be all. It's just an interesting facet. But I will say that of the backs who come closest to the apparent criteria, I really do like McCaffrey, McNicholls, and Hill.

D

Deleted member 6794

Justis Mosqueda, a pretty active draft guy on Twitter (@jumosq) and Packer fan, has done some interesting work in analyzing Thompson's draft tendencies in terms of preferred athletic "types." Here is the running back article.

The long and short of his point is that TT's picks at the RB position almost always meet the following minimums: 5'10", 205 lbs, 4.55 forty, and 7 second 3 cone. It's actually interesting to look at Thompson's trends as a drafter, as they seem to suggest much more emphasis on testing numbers that many would think.

Interestingly Thompson's earliest pick at the position during his tenure didn't meet these criterias as Lacy only ran a 4.64 40 as well as a 7.33 3 cone.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interestingly Thompson's earliest pick at the position during his tenure didn't meet these criterias as Lacy only ran a 4.64 40 as well as a 7.33 3 cone.

Yeah Lacy and Wynn (7th round) break the mold. So it's possible that this is overblown as the sample size st RB isn't huge. But TT does seem to draft "types" so I'm inclined to think there's something there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm liking D’Onta Foreman the more I see his film as well as read about him. His 2 negatives are that his speed isn't top of the class (4.5) and he had some fumbling issues. He's only 20, had a great final year (2028 yds) on a subpar team, is big (6-1, 233) and able to create his own holes. His draft stock has dropped due to recovering from a stress fracture in his foot and not running in the combine, but if this keeps him on the board into the 3rd or 4th round, might be a steal and the guy to compliment Monty.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What was the decision on John Crockett? Did we sign him to contract yet? Or are only TyMo and Don Jackson under contract for now? We need 2RBs and 2CBs in this draft class. I say McCaffrey and Hunt for RB and Kevin King and Jalen Myrick for CBs!

D

Deleted member 6794

What was the decision on John Crockett? Did we sign him to contract yet? Or are only TyMo and Don Jackson under contract for now?

The Packers didn't offer Crockett an exclusive rights free agent deal. Therefore he's currently a free agent leaving the Packers with only Montgomery and Jackson on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers didn't offer Crockett an exclusive rights free agent deal. Therefore he's currently a free agent leaving the Packers with only Montgomery and Jackson on the roster.

I know it is only March, but reading that reminds of how of just how thin and green we currently are at running back. It's a good thing it was such a position of strength last season. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
After loading up at TE I could totally see Ted bringing in a veteran RB on a short 1-2 year term.
This would make sense because aside from an Olineman he could stack the deck on D in the draft and then reload at RB in 2018 or possibly find a steal in the middle rounds this year. That would leave 3 of our first 4 picks open to a Defensive strategy and possibly going Defense 1 and 2
My strategy would be to land 3 starting caliber defenders even if I had to trade up a pick or two. If necessary I'd draft 2 players in the top 40 or so..similarly to the move we made with Spriggs last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
After loading up at TE I could totally see Ted bringing in a veteran RB on a short 1-2 year term.
This would make sense because aside from an Olineman he could stack the deck on D in the draft and then reload at RB in 2018 or possibly find a steal in the middle rounds this year. That would leave 3 of our first 4 picks open to a Defensive strategy and possibly going Defense 1 and 2
My strategy would be to land 3 starting caliber defenders even if I had to trade up a pick or two. If necessary I'd draft 2 players in the top 40 or so..similarly to the move we made with Spriggs last year.

A veteran wouldn't surprise me once the market bottoms out. If the Cowboys cut Alfred Morris, I'd look that direction.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A veteran wouldn't surprise me once the market bottoms out. If the Cowboys cut Alfred Morris, I'd look that direction.
Im with you there. Morris was a stud in Washington. I was surprised his market wasn't higher when he went to Cowboys. I didn't know he was a FA, but I'd sign him but still draft rookie to compete and push Jackson to PS!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Im with you there. Morris was a stud in Washington. I was surprised his market wasn't higher when he went to Cowboys. I didn't know he was a FA, but I'd sign him but still draft rookie to compete and push Jackson to PS!

He isn't a FA, but the Cowboys were looking for trade partners at one point. That makes me think they might cut him.

D

Deleted member 6794

It would be awesome to draft three starting caliber players for the defense but unfortunately that hasn't happened for the Packers in a long time. Thompson trading up to select Spriggs last season didn't result in the team selecting an immediate contributor either.

elchapogaming

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think Aaron Rodgers deserves a dynamic back like Christian McCaffrey. Obviously defense is the big question mark every year but the offense would be so fun to watch

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers deserves a more dynamic and bigger back like Joe Mixon at 6-1 228 he's much bigger than McCaffery 5-11 205. Hes also mych stronger 21 reps at 225 to 10. he's also faster 4.43 to 4.48. mcaffery edged oit mixon in short shuttle 4.22 to 4.25 and the vertical 37.5 to 35. and mcaffery has insane quickness posting a 6.57 3 cone but mixon was 2ND best at 7.00. He's more likely to remain healthy and effective through out the season and his career. Also while I'm not saying Montgomery is as good as McCaffery, I do think they are the same type of back and would be used in a lot of the same ways. Where as Mixon is a really good reclever, kick returner, and outside runner he can also be that every down between the tackles power runner. I also like Marlon mack and joe Williams. if TT got Joe Mixon in the first and Joe Williams in the 7th the packers would be set at running back. You'd have mixon/Montgomery and then whoever wi b s the battle in training camp between Michael and Williams. Williams put up 333 yards last season against a ucla defense that is full of nfl talent. he also fits the criteria TT generally drafts at rb as does mixon. Williams is 5-11 210 4.41 14 reps so he's a bit bigger, stronger and faster than McCaffery and 4.19 short shuttle 7.19 3 cone and 35 in vertical so worse than McCaffery in those categories. williams is akso potentially a very capable reciever. If packers get both those guys they'd have 2 running backs with breakaway score from anywhere in anyway speed and talent. add Montgomery and you've got what I think would be one of the best running back groups in the nfl

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers deserves a more dynamic and bigger back like Joe Mixon at 6-1 228 he's much bigger than McCaffery 5-11 205. Hes also mych stronger 21 reps at 225 to 10. he's also faster 4.43 to 4.48. mcaffery edged oit mixon in short shuttle 4.22 to 4.25 and the vertical 37.5 to 35. and mcaffery has insane quickness posting a 6.57 3 cone but mixon was 2ND best at 7.00. He's more likely to remain healthy and effective through out the season and his career. Also while I'm not saying Montgomery is as good as McCaffery, I do think they are the same type of back and would be used in a lot of the same ways. Where as Mixon is a really good reclever, kick returner, and outside runner he can also be that every down between the tackles power runner. I also like Marlon mack and joe Williams. if TT got Joe Mixon in the first and Joe Williams in the 7th the packers would be set at running back. You'd have mixon/Montgomery and then whoever wi b s the battle in training camp between Michael and Williams. Williams put up 333 yards last season against a ucla defense that is full of nfl talent. he also fits the criteria TT generally drafts at rb as does mixon. Williams is 5-11 210 4.41 14 reps so he's a bit bigger, stronger and faster than McCaffery and 4.19 short shuttle 7.19 3 cone and 35 in vertical so worse than McCaffery in those categories. williams is akso potentially a very capable reciever. If packers get both those guys they'd have 2 running backs with breakaway score from anywhere in anyway speed and talent. add Montgomery and you've got what I think would be one of the best running back groups in the nfl
Joe Williams would be a nice pick late 6th or 7th. He has flat out speed. He has had games I've watched where he fumbles the ball so easily with contact. But he would help our backfield. I have to say Mixon is getting alot of praise about being great at next level. But I would still take McCaffrey over him. Insane quickness way more versatile!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the value never lines up to take one of the bigger grinders in this class (i.e. Hill, Perine, Conner, Clement), then I'd be in favor taking a speedster like T.J. Logan and then pursuing Blount after the draft.