Realists versus pessimists versus optimists

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:kickcan: After todays embarassment at Lambeau, what are the chances the Pack will win at least one more game? Even Detroit pushed NE and SF is looking better every game. That leaves an almost sure bet Chicago beats GB and the hated Vikes can effect some revenge. I will still give MM & TT next year but, they had best produce at the very least an above .500 season or I will say good riddance. And what are the chances Brett will decide for another year? Personally I think he'll call it quits.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally if they don't push for a wild card next year they should clean house. Fire McCarthy, Thompson, Favre probably would be ready to retire anyways.

I still feel that way even after today's game. Next year is the year for me.

As for Favre. I think he'll play another year.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally if they don't push for a wild card next year they should clean house. Fire McCarthy, Thompson, Favre probably would be ready to retire anyways.

Well I guess we can at least hope he'll stick around again. I do believe the family ties are beginning to be more important then another year like this on.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine why Brett wouldn't return next year. He's getting paid $12 million, there's absolutely no pressure on him for winning because the team sucks and he can pad his stats & set some more records.

Why wouldn't he return?

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:rotflmao: Because as I said the family ties are getting more important to him then playing. He's not the type to just pad his accomplishments.

Reaction score
I've said it before, in the long run the best thing for this team might be to loose out the remaining games.

This roster has no depth, lacks young talent at most positions (RB, TE, DE, DT, CB, SS). We need studs or two, especially at DE/DT and CB. Give me a DT who can rush the passer, heck even a DE who can rush the passer, and you suddenly have an improved safety tandem. You also need someone to replace Manuel.

This D is in shambles, and I seriously think Sanders isn't cut out to coach. McCarthy needs to make a change in the D side, realize (like Sherman did so late into his tenure) an experienced DC is the way to go.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
This D is in shambles, and I seriously think Sanders isn't cut out to coach. McCarthy needs to make a change in the D side, realize (like Sherman did so late into his tenure) an experienced DC is the way to go.

Like Jim Bates.

This team has the raw talent on defense but, and I'll say it again, got out coached, outplayed, outsmarted...so what if the Jets had an extra shift or two pre-snap, we've seen that before, I saw guys left uncovered after they shift, its ridiculous, you think somebody would've caught this on film and pointed this out to the team?

They don't get to the QB
They don't wrap up and tackle soundly (of course this can be said for most of the NFL)
They don't cover the tight ends
They don't follow the play

Reaction score
That was my thing with Bates, he reacted to the situation. He realized Carroll's abilities and tried to get the most out of his limit filled abilities.

Ditto Collins. I'm prepared to bet that Bates things simple for Collins, telling him to react out of like 2 options to when the play was changed. Nothing overly complicated, like Schott and Sander want shifts, readustments, switching, etc. And IMO if Sander hasn't realized that Collins can't do that stuff (and hasn't "dumbed" down the scheme for Collins), than he isn't cut out to coach.

charlesplaisted

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
That was my thing with Bates, he reacted to the situation. He realized Carroll's abilities and tried to get the most out of his limit filled abilities.

Ditto Collins. I'm prepared to bet that Bates things simple for Collins, telling him to react out of like 2 options to when the play was changed. Nothing overly complicated, like Schott and Sander want shifts, readustments, switching, etc. And IMO if Sander hasn't realized that Collins can't do that stuff (and hasn't "dumbed" down the scheme for Collins), than he isn't cut out to coach.

Might as well bring back Bob Slowik.

His defenses were better, believe it or not.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score

Yea, pretty much what I've been saying as well.

Been saying that before Brett even announced he'd be playing this year.

Way to be my echo! :p heh

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im actually hoping we dont win anymore games....that would give us a better draft pick and hopefully convince Favre to finally hang it up.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont think favre will hang it up this year. mm still thinks he can play and will try to make hime come back for another season.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

Yea, pretty much what I've been saying as well.

Been saying that before Brett even announced he'd be playing this year.

Way to be my echo! :p heh

Great minds think a like. :packbeer:

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:packbeer: Watched Favre's interview after the game today and got the distinct impression, tone of voice, body lanbguage and expression the Brett's about had all he wants of MM's style of football. I will be shocked if Brett does decide for another year.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:packbeer: Watched Favre's interview after the game today and got the distinct impression, tone of voice, body lanbguage and expression the Brett's about had all he wants of MM's style of football. I will be shocked if Brett does decide for another year.

The evil Mike Sherman doesnt look so bad now. The coaching staff is a joke.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're a young team, but enough is enough. the offense needs help. ruvell martin and francies should be playing in europe or canada. ive liked what green has done as well as what ive seen from miree.

the defense is a joke. there is no way bob sanders should keep his job. same goes for schott. harris and woodson are studs, collins and manuel are duds and need to be back ups.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think he's just blowing off steam. Favre was always getting criticized by Holmgrem and that's what made him so good or part of it. Sherman really let Favre do what he wanted. I don't want to say special treatment but Sherman really didn't hold Favre accountable as much as Holmgrem. McCarthy now appears to be trying to get back to the Holmgrem ways and I think Favre is still getting used to it. I think he'll be back because he seems to like the young talent on this team. Every week the announcers say Favre likes this team. So I would assume their telling the truth. If he likes the team then I think he'll play. I actually wouldn't be shocked to see him play until he really does get injured badly. I still think he dreads the day of life without football. It also sounds like his family wants him to keep playing yet unless they’ve changed their minds this past year. I remember reading that the entire family voted yes for him to play.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Well Porky; I do think they may have a changed vote if it were taken again. And there not out there, taking the beating either. Still think he'll opt out; but for GB's sake hope he's around for at least one more year. The problem as I see it is they are not improving as a steady thing. Herk and jerk games and this late in the season. I'm going to guess they'll have another monster game against SF just to prove their not all bad but, I have second thoughts of any wins against the Vikes, Lions and Bears. From a practical standpoint losing out the season will certainly provide perhaps some real players in the draft and just maybe TT will see the error of his ways and try to get a DL with ability to push the pocket.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers win one more game this season IMO. They beat the Lions. Other than that, we will lose im sure to the Niners, the Vikings, and I dont even wana think about that Bear game. Although they may be resting starters. As far as Favre, I think he will stick it around for another year, but if we get a new coaching staff(which I doubt) i think there is no doubt he will retire. But we need to throw some decent guys around him!!!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

lets hope so. Even if we bring in a new coaching staff, they wont bring the fountain of youth with them, and make him more accurate and powerful.

I want favre to go out with the most respect possible, and thats as soon as possible.

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The realist in me says they will finish about where I guessed at the beginning of the year 5-7 wins. Although I anticipated them to show improvement and not be so up and down.

The pessimist says they are not getting any better and there is little hope for Favre coming back next year.(This thought seems to change every week however).

The optimist says we have upgraded overall talent from last year and should again this offseason, giving a foundation for sucess next year with a few minor changes to personnel and coaching and the return of Favre.

I really do think that I am more realist leaning toward optimist, but it has been hard the last few weeks.

OP
OP
C

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: We all hope for better performance from what was supposed to be a steadily improving young team.. Didn't happen and see little liklihood that the remaing games will. As a thought. Does anyone else see the underutilization of the TE's this season? When I played, admittedly not pro or college, I played what would now be the TE position, just another end in those days. We had plays to run outside the tackles with the QB having the option of tossing the ball to me if it looked like a bust and I had freed from my primary purpose of sealing out or in whomever was on my right or left shoulder. Was fairly successful and at times I even made some decent yardage and I certainly wasn't fast. Not heavy either. A whopping 135 lbs. LOL

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:twocents: Well Porky; I do think they may have a changed vote if it were taken again. And there not out there, taking the beating either. Still think he'll opt out; but for GB's sake hope he's around for at least one more year. The problem as I see it is they are not improving as a steady thing. Herk and jerk games and this late in the season. I'm going to guess they'll have another monster game against SF just to prove their not all bad but, I have second thoughts of any wins against the Vikes, Lions and Bears. From a practical standpoint losing out the season will certainly provide perhaps some real players in the draft and just maybe TT will see the error of his ways and try to get a DL with ability to push the pocket.

I think Favre new this team wasn't going to be good. I think he came back because he wanted to play. People can talk about money or winning but what about just liking to play football. I think that's what he did.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
chibiabos said:

I think Favre new this team wasn't going to be good. I think he came back because he wanted to play. People can talk about money or winning but what about just liking to play football. I think that's what he did.

I agree!! IMO I think Brett is happy breaking records, but that is not why he is playing the game. He plays the game because he loves football and is competitve. I believe he will come back for at least one more year if he feels he has a chance to help the team.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The pessimist says that the glass is half empty.

The optimist says that it's half full.

I say, "Who's been drinking my beer?"

Staff online

Latest posts