Press Gazette: Sherman gets extension

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
net said:
I don't blame 4th and 26 on Sherman....it was Ed Donatell's call at the time...and everyone's hero....Darren Sharper and Jue....both now gone...who blew the coverage(along with Barnett).
I'm with you here, net - but let us not forget the miraculous call by Rossley which gave the Eagles that one chance they'd been waiting for... and that was to blitz Favre on a passing play... Packers had been using Ahman Green all day long and causing ruin to the Fleagles on almost every play... then that pass play by rossley and bam... blitzkrieg on Favre and bingo an INT. That play should have never been called... and pending he doesn't do so (?) - there's no chance of 4th & 26 coming into reality.... JMHO

Also - I would add that Donatell had to puppet strings on Sharper or Jue - he was an audience member for that fiasco by those two SuperStars of the NFL - who were, as always, late for lunch... Donatell proved himself the very next year at Atlanta... it was the players on that play WHO BLEW IT (my thinking is on-purpose, but that's just me....).
The 4th and 26 play happened in regulation, the Favre interception in OT. Or do you mean that if the interception never occured and GB won, there would be no "4th and 26" legend in Eagle's lore since they lost anyways?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bruce said:

"You are clearly too ignorant to see that you contradict yourself. You ***** about him going for it on the one hand and you ***** about him not going for it on the other. "

And you clearly do not know what the hell you are talking about....

In FOOTBALL...(because this is the game they are playing)...it is important to know.., "WHEN TO GO FOR IT...AND WHEN NOT TO..." Apparently, You and Mike Sherman can't seem to grasp this concept.....
(For instance..you NEVER leave points off the scoreboard...like Sherman did against the eagles....you kick the FG and take the 3 pts...that could have been the game right there....and it's a no brainer as far as a coaching decision...all coaches know this...except your illustrious Sherman!)

Bruce also stated,

"I know that you think you know more than Ron Wolf and T. T., but I am surprised that you think you know more than Brett Favre.

Ron Wolf hired Mike, Thompson is rehiring him and Brett credits Sherman for why he is still playing."

Brucey boy...Ron Wolf hired him because he had relatively NO..or little NFL experience...and would not eclipse him, in terms of bringing the Packers to greatness....

TT may be just covering his ***....so that he can fire him at the end of the season...

Brett Favre is a coach's son and not political...so he will never say anything against a coach--at least publicly.....also Sherman has been kissing Brett's *** for 5 years..so why wouldn't he like him?

Bruce...you have alot to learn....

What?!? Are you saying Wolf hired a guy to NOT get the Packers to the Super Bowl? That means Wolf can read into the future! I should ask him for lottery numbers or wait according to your logic I should ask him what numbers will NOT be drawn.

I'm not 100% sold on Sherman as a coach but I sure am gonna give him a shot to get my favorite team to the promised land before I rip him apart. I strongly believe he will be a better HC now that he's not the GM. There are so many intangibles that includes being both HC and GM.

With giving Sherman an extension it removes that cloud over his head that 'if' he's gonna be back. He's locked in for two years by sigining this contract and you better believe if he sucks demented hamster jewels he will be FIRED!!

I at first was against the decision to jump the gun on the extension but the more I use my head and actually THINK about the decision I have to agree it was the best thing for the Packers and I hope you do too an stop bashing an start rooting for our team and coachs.

FL Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
y'all are crazy

1st, who would be a better option than Sherman?!?! There isn't going to be anyone out there that could do any better. We'd either have to go with some other teams coordinator and have to put in an entire new system in with a guy that has no head coaching experience. OR, we take a guy that does have experience that just got fired from another team for doing a lousy job.

2nd, Sherman has done an excellent job considering what he's been working with in injuries and talent (granted he is to blame for some of the talenet...or lack there of on the team, but we are talking about him as a coach). He showed how well he can run the offense. I can't think of a better guy to be calling the plays. He can always find ways to points on the board. Now that Bates is here (an experience DC that we haven't had in some time). Sherman will just be concentrating on the offense.

It would be stupid to go in any other direction...one of the best offenses in the league and a proven Def Co that will be able to build the other half of the team. What am I missing?? :?:

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Farve is the best thing you've got going now and you wouldn't want to put in someone new and a new system,when Farve is getting close to the end of his career. Good move by Pack.

Reaction score
Nice one vikefan. Nice to see you again. P@ck66, you have to admit that if the D does struggle, it is because it is young and then the argument could be made for no depth/injuries (should they occur). You still seem to be dodging the questions that other posters, including myself, have asked you, how else could TT find to replace MS? But I will agree with you in one sense, that I do believe if MS does not produce acceptable results, he will be on the hot seat come the end of the season. But P@ck 66, MS has done a decent job, considering the fact that when he came in, the Pack were not moving up, but rather moving down. Hopefully, this season will allow everyone to see that MS is the right choice for HC of the Green Bay Packers! (I hope :))

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
vikefan said:
Farve is the best thing you've got going now and you wouldn't want to put in someone new and a new system,when Farve is getting close to the end of his career. Good move by Pack.

Yeah, at least we don't have meathead for a coach. :wink:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the latest news, from the bottom of an article about AL HARRIS now back on the active squad.... after a bout with a quadriceps problem....

QUICK HITS ------
"Sherman refuted a published report that he was on the verge of a contract extension. "Nothing's really confirmed there," Sherman said. "There's been ongoing conversation, but I have not seen, signed or done anything with a contract."...

IPBprez: " I also know that the Packers web site is stating TT will do a live Press Conference tomorrow at 2:30pm --- what that is about could be anyone's guess! "

As far as that Eagles game - I'd luv it if someone could mail me a copy on DVD.....

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPB...just had that on the TC report up here...it was apparently news to MS that he signed an extension. Obviously PC BS, but I'm not sure what that means.

As for the Eagles tape...I kind of want one too, now. I don't know that there has ever been a single game in Packer history discussed more on a message board than that one...not the superbowls, the Atl home playoff loss, nothing!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the 13 head coaches in Packers history, Sherman is one of just four to hold a winning record. This season, Sherman will attempt to become the first coach in team history win four consecutive division titles.

Why would you not keep him?

Reaction score
Thank You PHIL! :) IPBprez, In an interview with MS, a reporter said congratulations and MS did seem cautious about an extension. But when asked by a reporter if "there is an agreement in principle in place", MS stoped in the middle of saying "No", and said that both TT and his agent talk regularly, and that they have had good discusions. It sounds to me like it is not finalized, but the groundwork has been laid. Or I could be completly wrong, and TT will announce tommorow that P@ck66 is the new assistant GM for the Pack, and that he (TT) was blown away with P@ck66's knowledge. Who would see that coming? :comp:

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is really haunting....

This afternoon I was with an associate who on the way to lunch wanted to make a quick stop at St. Francis to place some flowers on the grave of a family member.

I wanted to give him some time (And get out of the heat.) so I headed into the office becuase I do some work with SCI "A funeral company." and wanted to know if they owned this property.

I asked if there were any famous people burried here.

He said Dan Devine... He was a famous football coach. I was thinking no sh*#! You got to be kidding me.

Now I get back to my place here and find this thread. You are right, there were 13 head coaches in Packer history Philtration. I ran into one by accident today.

13.... Bad Luck.

RP

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

This afternoon I was with an associate who on the way to lunch wanted to make a quick stop at St. Francis to place some flowers on the grave of a family member.

I wanted to give him some time (And get out of the heat.) so I headed into the office becuase I do some work with SCI "A funeral company." and wanted to know if they owned this property.

He said Dan Devine... He was a famous football coach. I was thinking no sh*#! You got to be kidding me.

Now I get back to my place here and find this thread. You are right, there were 13 head coaches in Packer history Philtration. I ran into one by accident today.

13.... Bad Luck.

RP

Whoa...that is kind of creppy.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, for one, do like Sherman. We all make mistakes, and his record does more than speak for itself. My gosh, tied for third in the NFL. Good for him.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
musccy said:
IPB...just had that on the TC report up here...it was apparently news to MS that he signed an extension. Obviously PC BS, but I'm not sure what that means.

As for the Eagles tape...I kind of want one too, now. I don't know that there has ever been a single game in Packer history discussed more on a message board than that one...not the superbowls, the Atl home playoff loss, nothing!

The internet was not nearly as enormously used ten years ago as it is now.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:

13.... Bad Luck.

RP

13 is my lucky number

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Several items for discussion -----

1) Can we allude quite a bit of Sherman's success record sorta like Chucky taking over for Tony Dungy..? It's just a question - but wasn't quite a bit of the 1998 Team still in place for "several" years beyond the 1999 fiasco year? How many Offensive Line personnel were changed over in Sherman's first two or three years? And, hasn't the saving grace for the Packers been their OFFENSE during Sherman's Tour of Duty? Again, it's just a question.....

2) Has Sherman allowed a 3xMVP to be squandered by his only OC (Tom Rossley) during his term as HC? C'mon guys - be real about it.... Is this a possible contention point that maybe TT is letting slip by the wayside in favor of what talking points which he seems to think would outweigh the inconsistencies exhibited by the OC? If you were Ted Thompson would you not stipulate certain replacements be made pending Y happens, instead of X? Remember, first time "shame on you", second time "shame on me".... and in my world, that ain't gonna happen, if rarely... This is, btw, a fair question!

3) Pending Mike Sherman really does have the stuff of great Coaches - would you (being him) make it a point to ride the QB into the ground so that he doesn't spend another Season throwing the golden ring into the toilet, like he did last year against Minnesota? Maybe this is phrased erroneously.... Look at it this way.. Favre had some damn good stats in the Yardage and TD departments.... But, he also had how many INT's? And, again, what was his incompletion percentages? It's been proven that with age, QB's are supposedly smarter about the plays they make - they give up that gusto of go-for-broke that one sees in the beginnings of an NFL career... something that Mike Holmgren almost sat Favre on the bench for early on in their relationship....

There's more to my thoughts on Sherman - but these are some of the top six.. and they all relate back to the HC doing his job with total focus. Personally, I don't think it should be allowed that the HC and GM duties all ride on the same Person. It causes too much leverage amongst the Players and the balance of power is out of kilter... Even Andy Reid may have won a SuperBowl by now pending he didn't have to spend time with GM duties... think about it.

Members online

Latest posts