Packers will consider Young in the Draft

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:
I'm joining this thread late but I believe Rodgers was a top 10 choice ONLY to San Fran.
Sorry for cropping your quote, but I had to in order to validate my point (me impersonating the media)

Of course, since only one team had the number one overall pick and that team was San Fran.

I said top 10...not #1.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
Zero2Cool said:
DePack said:
I'm joining this thread late but I believe Rodgers was a top 10 choice ONLY to San Fran.
Sorry for cropping your quote, but I had to in order to validate my point (me impersonating the media)

Of course, since only one team had the number one overall pick and that team was San Fran.

I said top 10...not #1.

Dammit! You weren't supposed to catch that!

Oh well. Cardinals and Redskins were in the top ten and also considered him, obviously they passed on him. Redskins were higher on I think Campbell an figured they could get him much later in the first round.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Young will be a big bust if someone is stupid enough to take him in the first round.

If Rodgers fell to 24 Young could easily drop out of the first round.

Actually, I hope the vikings waste their first round pick on the genius. I couldn't wish the trouble on another franchise. He isn't as good as Vick who has missed over a third of his team's games and averages 50 yards rushing a game.

An RB would be so much more effective. He is no Bobby Douglas.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It surprises me how many people take Thompson at his word when he says he is going to draft the best player available, regardless of position. While I believe he DID do that last year, when he was just starting out as GM, I expect him to be more selective this year. Drafting first-round QB's in successive years would be madness, exceeded only by the Lions drafting three wide receivers in a row in the top 10.

I guess it could happen if Rodgers really IS awful, but I haven't heard any indication that he is. He did beat out Craig Nall for the #2 spot last season, and he held onto it all season. This suggests that the Packer management really did think he had some game.

A lot of the Rodgers criticism is just hindsight. Although he slipped to #24, he was still the second QB taken, which is nothing to be ashamed of. I don't think many people had Frye or anyone else ranked above him. Everything I heard suggested that Smith and Rodgers were the best two prospects, probably in that order. Frye did play really well last year, but who's to say Rodgers would not have played well if given a chance? Then there's Kyle Orton, who a lot of people have fallen in love with, but he basically looked like a typical Chicago Bears scrub QB, except he had a better team around him than most Bears QB's in recent history. He looks like a career backup.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we're not going to draft young. the titans are. he is the second coming of steve mcnair. if they don't draft him, i hope we don't.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
I think Young will be a big bust if someone is stupid enough to take him in the first round.

If Rodgers fell to 24 Young could easily drop out of the first round.

Actually, I hope the vikings waste their first round pick on the genius. I couldn't wish the trouble on another franchise. He isn't as good as Vick who has missed over a third of his team's games and averages 50 yards rushing a game.

An RB would be so much more effective. He is no Bobby Douglas.

Young is a much better prospect than Rodgers. It's as simple as that. Young isn't going to fall to round 2. Rodgers would in this Draft.

Every high pick in this draft is a potential bust. Every high pick is a potential pro bowler. Predicting busts in the draft is like predicting who will win the Super Bowl in 2008 right now. It doesn't work that way. Young is a much better prospect than Rodger. All you have to do is pickup film and look at their workout numbers and that says it all. Saying Rodgers is a better prospect as a Packer fan makes you come off wearing Green & Gold homer glasses. Of course if we past on Young I hope Rodgers ends up better but in comparing the two as prospects Young is much better as a prospect coming out than Rodgers.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I'm joining this thread late but I believe Rodgers was a top 10 choice ONLY to San Fran. If the rest of the league was thrilled with him somebody would have traded up to get him from one of the teams that didn't need a QB.

I'm willing to give him a chance but he never really impressed me in college. If TT drafts VY he'd probably want to trade Rodgers, but I think you would only get a 3-4 rounder. Might as well keep him and see if he develops.

I agree and one thing I think Packer fans can't accept is we are rebuilding with or without Brett Favre. having 2 young QB's slug it out and trading the loser would help the process. I'll take Young and solid defensive player over Hawk and Rodgers anyday.

I think if Mario Williams is on the board you have to take him. If not then it's wide open to what we do. Hawk makes sense but if Young's potential is reached he could be the best player in this draft. Hawk will not be the best player to come out. I think that's what Ted Thompson is thinking.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So..

You're saying TT's first pick in the draft for the Packer's ever is a bust...?

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DePack said:
I'm joining this thread late but I believe Rodgers was a top 10 choice ONLY to San Fran. If the rest of the league was thrilled with him somebody would have traded up to get him from one of the teams that didn't need a QB.

I'm willing to give him a chance but he never really impressed me in college. If TT drafts VY he'd probably want to trade Rodgers, but I think you would only get a 3-4 rounder. Might as well keep him and see if he develops.

I agree and one thing I think Packer fans can't accept is we are rebuilding with or without Brett Favre. having 2 young QB's slug it out and trading the loser would help the process. I'll take Young and solid defensive player over Hawk and Rodgers anyday.

I think if Mario Williams is on the board you have to take him. If not then it's wide open to what we do. Hawk makes sense but if Young's potential is reached he could be the best player in this draft. Hawk will not be the best player to come out. I think that's what Ted Thompson is thinking.

Porky...the problem with this theory is that once you determine who the loser is you've exposed him. What are people going to give you for a loser?

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Porky...the problem with this theory is that once you determine who the loser is you've exposed him. What are people going to give you for a loser?

Too true. If we do end up taking Young, we will have probably traded Rodgers for a late second round or early third round pick before hand.

But to be honest, if AJ Hawk and Supermario are both gone at number five, I'd rather see us grabbing Vernon Davis than Young.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a good point and this is why I think Green Bay would hold onto both Young and Rodgers for a year and let them go at it in training camp. Since we're rebuilding let the two young QB's compete for the future role and whatever one is your guy keep and trade the other.

We could still get value for Rodgers and or Young in 2007. Someone will take a chance. Now we're not going to get a 1st round pick but I wouldn't rule out a good young defensive player for either or.

Actually for Young I think we could get a lot more than for Rodgers. For Rodgers I think a good defender and maybe a 5th round pick. There's always a market for a QB in today's NFL especially young prospect like this. Look it Matt Schaub in Atlanta. Probably worth a 1st round pick.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
I agree that if Super Mario is on the board he should be the pick but if he's off the board and Green Bay can't trade down then Young wouldn't be a bad pick.

Didn't Young score a 7 on the Wonderlic? Not the kind of intelligence I would want to see leading the offense... :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you havent noticed, Ted Thompson has his watchful eyes on every prospect out there--we were the only team at Bush's pro day, probably won't draft him, but he wants to be in the know--this guy's philosophy revolves around the draft--I highly doubt he'd be after Vince Young, but maybe they're scouting up on him to see if teams would be interested in our #5 pick if Young should be available there...Arizona, Oakland, who knows...

I highly doubt that Thompson would stick a rookie head coach with two fresh QB's, who are completely opposite each other, one a dropback passing system guy, and the other a mobile large dumb *** who relies on raw ability but cannot tie his own shoes

And if you havent noticed i really don't think Young willmake a solid pro

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I didn't even want to open this thread because it seems ridiculous and speculatory that we would take Vince Young given that we already have something invested in Rodgers. I also cringe at the idea of selecting VY with our pick.

With that said, I read the 5 pages of posts and felt the need to respond. Most of you have the right idea. We likely will not and should not draft VY.

None of us here are pro scouts, including myself, yet I think I might have the best look at VY than all of us. I live 20 miles south of Austin - aka VY country.

I've watched 8-9 UT games each of the past 2 years and saw Vince play at Madison High twice.

I would be willing to bet my share of Packer stock that he will NOT be a good pro quarterback. He's compared to Mike Vick quite frequently. The fact is that he is not as fast as Vick, not as athletic, and does not have as strong of an arm as Vick. He will NOT be as good as Mike Vick, and I happen to think that Vick isn't that great anyways.

His deep ball is terrible. Very seldom have I seen him complete a pass of longer than 12 yards without the reciever being wide open. I don't believe he can zip the out routes in the NFL. Haven't really seen him do it even in college.

He was a great college QB, but alot of what you saw was very much tied too the talent level around him, mainly his offensive line. He was put in an offense perfect for him, but it also made him look better than he actually is.

This is coming from a guy who's seen him play 2 dozen times - for what it's worth.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
porky88 said:
I agree that if Super Mario is on the board he should be the pick but if he's off the board and Green Bay can't trade down then Young wouldn't be a bad pick.

Didn't Young score a 7 on the Wonderlic? Not the kind of intelligence I would want to see leading the offense... :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

He scored a 16. Same as Dan Marino. :wink:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't see it. The organization is not in a position to gamble on a QB like that.

We finally get in a strong draft position and we throw the dice on a QB that could be good or bust? I don't think so.

We've got a lot of holes to file and need to get some depth. This would be too much of a crap shoot.

I would much rather we trade down to Denver and get three picks in the first 37 than do something like this.

Especially if TT WERE to get contracts with Lavar, and, or, Woodson. I look for TT to move down for more picks if that happens.

Members online

Latest posts