Packers sign T Rick Wagner

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IGute just spent 13 million per season on Kirksey and Wagner, so now the question is whether there is enough cap space to sign one more free agent knowing that they have to save cap space for rookie contracts and in-season adjustments. They may be able to get another mid-tier player at DL or WR, but it looks like Austin Hooper may no longer be affordable.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IGute just spent 13 million per season on Kirksey and Wagner, so now the question is whether there is enough cap space to sign one more free agent knowing that they have to save cap space for rookie contracts and in-season adjustments. They may be able to get another mid-tier player at DL or WR, but it looks like Austin Hooper may no longer be affordable.

Shoring up or stop gap'ing the RT position now could mean the Taylor cut is going to happen. It is possibly before freeing up that like $4M depended upon what steps GB took elsewhere.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I like it. A rookie is most certainly going to be the future at the position, however Wagner is solid enough that this move alleviates the need to take one at #30 (or trade up).

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like it. A rookie is most certainly going to be the future at the position, however Wagner is solid enough that this move alleviates the need to take one at #30 (or trade up).

Both of these moves are pushing Gute out of a corner for the first pick having to be a certain position and more towards BPA. WR depth in draft makes it not a must, Wagner makes OT not a must, Kirksey makes ILB not a must...I LOVE these moves.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spotrac stating Wagner salary reported to them is slightly less than we thought:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Yeah. Looks like 2020 cap hit is about $10 million. Looks like Wagner's contract might have a team option for the 2nd year. Still room for another mid-range FA if Gute wants. Otherwise he can give some of that that to Kenny Clark, or roll it over.

I like the signings so far. Would still support a mid round pick at RT if there is a good developmental prospect available.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. Looks like 2020 cap hit is about $10 million. Looks like Wagner's contract might have a team option for the 2nd year. Still room for another mid-range FA if Gute wants. Otherwise he can give some of that that to Kenny Clark, or roll it over.

I like the signings so far. Would still support a mid round pick at RT if there is a good developmental prospect available.

Oh OT is gonna happen I think twice minimum in the draft. One being in the first 3/4 rounds for sure.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Both of these moves are pushing Gute out of a corner for the first pick having to be a certain position and more towards BPA. WR depth in draft makes it not a must, Wagner makes OT not a must, Kirksey makes ILB not a must...I LOVE these moves.

And neither count towards the comp. formula because they were both cut.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does MN have the cap space for Bryan?

They just cut a couple bigger contracts but they want to resign Harris which in theory would use up all their cap. Bulaga could make sense there because their window is closing pretty fast.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And neither count towards the comp. formula because they were both cut.
Thanks Dantes. This morning I couldn't remember the reasoning for why the FAs wouldn't count against the compensatory pick formula. You reminded me that it's because these weren't 100% grade-A free agents, they were cut.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They just cut a couple bigger contracts but they want to resign Harris which in theory would use up all their cap. Bulaga could make sense there because their window is closing pretty fast.
In addition, they just extended Kirk Cousin's contract. A lot of their defensive players' contracts are up, so the Vikings are trying to stop the bleeding. If they do anything on offense in FA, it would be a trade of Diggs.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Money Shmunny. He better be able to play. Rotoworld said he was serviceable in 2018 and had his worst year last year. I mean, The lions let him go! I think this may show us if our young OL coach is better (as I suspect) than Campen ever was.

Letting a guy go doesn't automatically mean they're worthless. Just saying. Fiscal reasons govern many a cut/release.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In addition, they just extended Kirk Cousin's contract. A lot of their defensive players' contracts are up, so the Vikings are trying to stop the bleeding. If they do anything on offense in FA, it would be a trade of Diggs.

They extended Cousins to free up cap space this year. So I am guessing they might have a little more available. They just paid 4 million or something for their fullback too. It will be interesting to see how much better they can get through the draft. Losing Joseph, Griffen Rhodes, Waynes, and Alexander is a lot. Can you really replace that through the draft and add to a really bad oline? They also dont have any really depth at wr if they have an injury there again

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And we need them.........

Snacks Harrison is still my leading candidate as he was a cut...but I am unsure cap wise what we can pull. I sense it will be a late in FA acquisition...maybe even post-draft.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All we were going to get was a stop gap performer, while we draft an OT.

As far as place holders, Wagner is a good one. Is he as good as Bulaga? No, but we were never going to be able to afford Bulaga.
Bulaga is going to want a 3-year deal. Whether he gets it or not is another question. I don’t think he’d agree to even a generous one-year deal, which is probably all he’ll get from GB.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hurst went to Atlanta... 2nd and 5th, kinda what I thought he'd go for.

With the Browns signing Hooper, I wonder if they're looking at trading Njoku. If so, he'd command at least a 2nd and a 5th now.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hurst went to Atlanta... 2nd and 5th, kinda what I thought he'd go for.

With the Browns signing Hooper, I wonder if they're looking at trading Njoku. If so, he'd command at least a 2nd and a 5th now.

Creepy...I was just realizing the ripple this could cause with Njoku. Kid has chops for sure! Cutting him makes NO sense as his dead money is like $3M which is essentially his cost as well keeping. Trades for him should be strong though! He isn't going to be that cheap into the future but for the one year and done deal for him in a trade could be solid for a team. I don't think we swing it, but with Gute who knows...this is the savvy move some smart GM has already got calls on.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Creepy...I was just realizing the ripple this could cause with Njoku. Kid has chops for sure! Cutting him makes NO sense as his dead money is like $3M which is essentially his cost as well keeping. Trades for him should be strong though! He isn't going to be that cheap into the future but for the one year and done deal for him in a trade could be solid for a team. I don't think we swing it, but with Gute who knows...this is the savvy move some smart GM has already got calls on.

If the TE market dries up, I wouldn't be opposed to Witten. I haven't looked to see if he signed anywhere yet.

Reaction score
With Wagner's poor 2019 performance he may be a stopgap starter in 2020. He isn't getting paid like a decent starting RT. Look for Gute to still use a lot of draft capital at OT. I could see a rookie playing behing Wagner for a year and then he would be kicked to the bench. Noticable drop off from Bulaga to Wagner. The O line just got worse if you compare Wagner's and Bulaga's 2019 season.
Possibly that.
Another angle is this could be a sign they will shift another current player outside to compete with him for a starting role? We could use day 3 selection to go after another OG.. or use day 1-2 to go after our future RT (correction) in a staggered approach.. and one that has a contingency strategy that also leaves a smoother transition for a younger, future successor to Bulaga. Fun stuff to watch, this roster building.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Hooper is out of the picture at TE. Bummer but he doesn’t deserve to be paid more that Kittle. Oh well, that’s how FA works.

Anyone have any other ideas for TE? The draft is pretty weak, not that it’s a good solution anyway.....