Packers sign DE Ray Drew

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was in response to a plethora of comments such as:

I'm fairly certain the same attitudes existed when Tramon was added to the practice squad and given his rookie contract. May be correct but to run him out of town before the first OTA?

I don't think people are "running him out of town". I just think people aren't very impressed with the signing. It's like wanting a Mustang for your 16th birthday and getting a used pair of roller skates. :laugh:

I understand what you're saying though. I've been wondering after reading thoughts on this forum that if Reggie White signed with the Packers in 2016, posters would say he got overpaid, hurt the salary cap, and cost the Packers a possible compensatory pick for losing Casey Hayward.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't count this, because he won't affect TT's coveted percentage of players on the roster that were drafted, since he likely won't make the 53 man roster.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe Gunter too...... Also, Sam Shields was undrafted, LOL

Both of those guys immediately made the 53 man roster after going undrafted though. Drew on the other hand was waived by the Dolphins after camp and spent a total of four weeks on the Browns practice squad before being released again.

That was in response to a plethora of comments such as:

I'm fairly certain the same attitudes existed when Tramon was added to the practice squad and given his rookie contract. May be correct but to run him out of town before the first OTA?

Tramon Williams is the extremely rare exception to the rule though. I could come up with a list of a ton of players who were signed after not making it as an undrafted player with other teams so please excuse me not getting excited about the signing of Ray Drew.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah who's to say he won't be something.. I guess I'm guilty of speaking to soon.. I have high hopes for Gunter but like I have been saying jayrone Elliott is gonna be a monster.. J Kearse style guy but can play lb every time that guy was on the field he got pressure and made plays.. Like constantly.. Anybody else see that?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been watching Elliot since he broke out in preseason of his rookie year... The guy can rush.

Some guys do very well coming in fresh, as a rotational guy. Usually after the starter softens them up a bit. But when the team promotes them to starter, and leans on them... They look like feces...

Elliot might evolve into a 3 down player some day. But im not sure he would do good as one yet...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The significance of Drew's signing is analogous to the signings of UDFAs after the draft.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I wonder if Mulumba is worried. :coffee:
It would appear Mulumba has a broader concern, such as making anybody's roster.

The Packers did not see fit to give him a restricted FA tender, which does not bode well considering the guys who have and have not been tendered in the past.

One supposes the Packers or somebody else might offer a vet minimum deal for a guy who's exclusively a special teams player, but that's about as far as it goes. He's 26 years old and was injury free last season as far as I can tell, so he's got that going for him. The Packers might revisit his situation after the draft, depending on how the picks falls out, if Mulumba is unsigned at that point. He's strictly an afterthought, fill-out-the-bottom-of-the-roster guy, who doesn't qualify for game day active unless somebody gets hurt or unless he's deemed a core special teams player, which he isn't at this point,

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah who's to say he won't be something.. I guess I'm guilty of speaking to soon.. I have high hopes for Gunter but like I have been saying jayrone Elliott is gonna be a monster.. J Kearse style guy but can play lb every time that guy was on the field he got pressure and made plays.. Like constantly.. Anybody else see that?

Elliott has for sure flashed big play potential but he has to perform more consistently to get more playing time.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes TT will have no problem holding onto a draft pick no matter how badly they suck. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What the hell happened?

It was pretty obvious that Drew would be a camp body only. The Packers releasing him after only a month is surprising though.

Would have to guess, either injury or more likely....his participation in the team's offseason workouts uncovered why he didn't stick very long in Miami or Cleveland.

Well, with the first two weeks of the offseason workout program limited to strength and conditioning the coaching staff hasn't yet seen him perform on a football field. So it's kind of odd the team felt the need to cut him.

Members online