Packers reach deal with Finley

D

Dan115

What does number of games have to do with it? 2 teams are going to draft Luck and RG3 who have zero NFL starts between them.

Seattle gave up 3rd and 4th (basically) for Whitehurst who had zero starts.

Wolf gave up a mid 1st for a sophmore QB with zero starts.

I don't think there is any relation to how high a pick is traded with how much do we have to pay him.

Of course Flynn will play ball. Not that he needs to. But if a team is going to pay him $15m guaranteed; get a big chunk of that now; and have the opportunity to start - why wouldn't he sign? As opposed to waiting till mid September for a $830k check. And I didn't even get into the being grateful for the Packers for developing him and giving him the opportunity to showcase his talents in that final game.

And please explain where there is even an iota of risk involved? They can always cut him. You think there isn't a team that will give up a minimum of a 2nd for him? Even a third (which is better than compensatory pick)? Thats absolutely crazy. I expect us to get at worst the Seattle's 2nd round pick.

I think you need to study this a little more. There is risk if The Packers tag Flynn.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said they were willing to give up a high 2nd round pick for him? I haven't seen anything from Miami, Seattle, Cleveland, Washington or anywhere else indicating they would be willing to trade a high draft pick for him. Don't tell me about Matt Cassel. He had 15 starts under his belt before NE traded him. Flynn has TWO.

Exactly how many starts did Kevin Kolb have before the Eagles received a 2nd rounder and a starting CB for him from Arizona?

If the sign and trade happens I'm guessing it's going to be Miami or Seattle since they have ex-Packer personnel.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
What does number of games have to do with it? 2 teams are going to draft Luck and RG3 who have zero NFL starts between them.

Seattle gave up 3rd and 4th (basically) for Whitehurst who had zero starts.

Wolf gave up a mid 1st for a sophmore QB with zero starts.

I don't think there is any relation to how high a pick is traded with how much do we have to pay him.

Of course Flynn will play ball. Not that he needs to. But if a team is going to pay him $15m guaranteed; get a big chunk of that now; and have the opportunity to start - why wouldn't he sign? As opposed to waiting till mid September for a $830k check. And I didn't even get into the being grateful for the Packers for developing him and giving him the opportunity to showcase his talents in that final game.

And please explain where there is even an iota of risk involved? They can always cut him. You think there isn't a team that will give up a minimum of a 2nd for him? Even a third (which is better than compensatory pick)? Thats absolutely crazy. I expect us to get at worst the Seattle's 2nd round pick.
Yup, the Packers can always cut him. But his 14.4 million is guaranteed. And it counts against the cap for the whole year.

I think someone would give up a second, not a first.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, the Packers can always cut him. But his 14.4 million is guaranteed. And it counts against the cap for the whole year.

I think someone would give up a second, not a first.
Sure about the guaranteed part? I just googled and read 5 sites on franchise tags in the NFL and not one of them said the salary has to be guaranteed.

If thats true, it wouldn't matter to me. I am pretty certain TT will have a pretty good idea who is going to be offering what in a trade prior to the dead line for tagging players.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Browns what to make a play at Flynn...more teams show interest more likely a "tag and trade" is to happen. SOMEONE will give up something to get Flynn if they believe that getting into a bidding war would be too costly. I wouldn't have a problem with getting the Browns or Dolphins #1 pick

Redskins may make a play for him as well...

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Sure about the guaranteed part? I just googled and read 5 sites on franchise tags in the NFL and not one of them said the salary has to be guaranteed.

If thats true, it wouldn't matter to me. I am pretty certain TT will have a pretty good idea who is going to be offering what in a trade prior to the dead line for tagging players.
It is if he signs it.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like the Browns are in on Flynn to. They are very interesting as they have that additional late 1st round pick. Imagine if they could somehow pull Blackmon with the 1st pick and then acquire Flynn with the other. That is a huge offensive upgrade.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like the Browns are in on Flynn to. They are very interesting as they have that additional late 1st round pick. Imagine if they could somehow pull Blackmon with the 1st pick and then acquire Flynn with the other. That is a huge offensive upgrade.

We're trading Rodgers and picking up Blackmon right?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're trading Rodgers and picking up Blackmon right?
No, I was just thinking in the perspective of the Browns who would get exponentially better with this deal. Now if they can only be convinced to take AJ Hawk home to Ohio as well. I would take back just about any overpaid player on their team to get Hawk off the field.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
New England did it with Cassel and the Packers did it with Corey Williams.

The commissioner wouldn't have anything to say about it.
Don't be to sure about that. Cassel was tagged when Brady was injured. He was traded on the second day of free agency. There were at least 3 new teams involved in trade discussions before he went to KC. When Corey Williams was tagged everyone assumed the Packers tagged him to keep him. When they traded him minutes after FA started it took everyone of guard. If the Packer tag Flynn, everyone knows the reason is for a trade. IF they tag and then trade him on the first day of FA, which starts at 4pm est this year, right after the start of FA someone is going to complain that they did not have a shot at him. The commissioner can do something about it. He can void the trade, he can void the tag and make Flynn a free agent again. You can bet the NFL is watching what happens to Flynn very closely.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be to sure about that. Cassel was tagged when Brady was injured. He was traded on the second day of free agency. There were at least 3 new teams involved in trade discussions before he went to KC. When Corey Williams was tagged everyone assumed the Packers tagged him to keep him. When they traded him minutes after FA started it took everyone of guard. If the Packer tag Flynn, everyone knows the reason is for a trade. IF they tag and then trade him on the first day of FA, which starts at 4pm est this year, right after the start of FA someone is going to complain that they did not have a shot at him. The commissioner can do something about it. He can void the trade, he can void the tag and make Flynn a free agent again. You can bet the NFL is watching what happens to Flynn very closely.

I could not possibly disagree with you more. Even if Flynn is tagged and traded, every team has a fair chance to acquire him. All "Team A" would have to do is offer more compensation than "Team B". There's no tampering or anything going on here. The Packers have the right to tag to Flynn. The Packers have the right to trade Flynn.

This isn't the NBA and Godell isn't Stern. None of the NFL franchise are league owned. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for a trade to be voided. This is EXACTLY what the franchise tag was created to do.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
One thing about the Finley deal. There was some discussion that if they tagged him what would they tag him as, a WR or a TE? Tight end tag carried a $5.4 million number, WR tag, $9 million. So Finley ends up with a two year deal of $14 million. 5.75 this year and $9 next. Coincidence? I think not.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I could not possibly disagree with you more. Even if Flynn is tagged and traded, every team has a fair chance to acquire him. All "Team A" would have to do is offer more compensation than "Team B". There's no tampering or anything going on here. The Packers have the right to tag to Flynn. The Packers have the right to trade Flynn.

This isn't the NBA and Godell isn't Stern. None of the NFL franchise are league owned. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for a trade to be voided. This is EXACTLY what the franchise tag was created to do.
A lot of Packer fans are talking as if the Packers will have a deal for him before FA even starts. While execs are not supposed to be talking trades with other teams until after the start of FA, how would the Packers make a deal before the start without busting the tampering rules in place?

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of Packer fans are talking as if the Packers will have a deal for him before FA even starts. While execs are not supposed to be talking trades with other teams until after the start of FA, how would the Packers make a deal before the start without busting the tampering rules in place?

Straight from packernews.com:

"But if General Manager Ted Thompson tags Flynn, he’ll have to take on the risk that if Flynn doesn’t work out a contract with a new team, the Packers will be stuck paying him the $14.4 million franchise tender. Tagging Flynn also would mean bucking the NFL, which discourages using the tag as only a vehicle for a trade.

Still, the tag is looking like a real possibility. A front-office executive for an NFL team said the league doesn’t discourage tag-and-trade strongly enough to prevent the Packers from doing it with Flynn if they think it’s their best move. Another NFL scout said he thinks some team will trade a decent draft pick and pay Flynn a good enough contract to swing the deal, even though the quarterback has started only two NFL games."

Articles like this and common sense are what I'm going off of.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120223/PKR01/120223107&located=rss

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Straight from packernews.com:

"But if General Manager Ted Thompson tags Flynn, he’ll have to take on the risk that if Flynn doesn’t work out a contract with a new team, the Packers will be stuck paying him the $14.4 million franchise tender. Tagging Flynn also would mean bucking the NFL, which discourages using the tag as only a vehicle for a trade.

Still, the tag is looking like a real possibility. A front-office executive for an NFL team said the league doesn’t discourage tag-and-trade strongly enough to prevent the Packers from doing it with Flynn if they think it’s their best move. Another NFL scout said he thinks some team will trade a decent draft pick and pay Flynn a good enough contract to swing the deal, even though the quarterback has started only two NFL games."

Articles like this and common sense are what I'm going off of.

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120223/PKR01/120223107&located=rss
You may be. A lot of Packer fans are talking that they would have a back room handshake deal in place before tagging him. Which would be technically against the rules. Many Packer fans don't see it that way. Can they tag and trade him? Yes they can. Does it carry some risk? Yes it does.

Tell me, how did every team have a chance at trading for Corey Williams when the Packers traded him and had a deal in place 2 minutes after the start of free agency? That's the kind of deal some Packer fans are predicting with Flynn. The only way that is possible is for someone to break the tampering rules.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I was just thinking in the perspective of the Browns who would get exponentially better with this deal. Now if they can only be convinced to take AJ Hawk home to Ohio as well. I would take back just about any overpaid player on their team to get Hawk off the field.
I was just joking

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You may be. A lot of Packer fans are talking that they would have a back room handshake deal in place before tagging him. Which would be technically against the rules. Many Packer fans don't see it that way. Can they tag and trade him? Yes they can. Does it carry some risk? Yes it does.

Tell me, how did every team have a chance at trading for Corey Williams when the Packers traded him and had a deal in place 2 minutes after the start of free agency? That's the kind of deal some Packer fans are predicting with Flynn. The only way that is possible is for someone to break the tampering rules.

I have to be honest, I really don't remember the Corey Williams trade to well. I was surprised he was tagged and even more surprised when he was traded.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
I have to be honest, I really don't remember the Corey Williams trade to well. I was surprised he was tagged and even more surprised when he was traded.
It's a case were the only way a deal was done so fast was that someone had to bust the tampering rules to do it. With him it may not have been and issue because I don't remember people thinking he was going to be some big name player. With Flynn, everyone knows it would be used to trade him and if they pulled a trade like they did with Williams I am sure some team would cry foul.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The franchise tag rule was not intended to be used in tag and trade deals. It was implemented so teams could keep their best players while the players involved would be fairly compensated. The NFL wouldn’t like the Packers tagging Flynn with the intention of doing a tag and trade as the link JenningsLongCatch indicates. They may even send the Packers a nasty letter.

Once a player signs a tag tender, the deal is guaranteed. That player will either receive the guaranteed one-year amount or agree to tear that deal up in favor of a longer term deal, usually with more guaranteed money than the tag amount. After the player signs the tag tender, the only question is which team is going to pay the guaranteed amount or which team he will sign a longer term deal with. If a team tags a player the team may withdraw the tag before the player signs it and the player immediately becomes a free agent.

The Packers could have a deal in place because the combine is “tampering central and it will be widespread this week like it always is”. This quote is from an article talking about the Steelers’ Mike Wallace but it makes a point widely known. There are ways of getting a point across without technically violating tampering rules. I’ll bet “hypotheticals” abound at the combine. LINK to article.

And it’s not the end of the world if the Packers are found guilty of tampering. The 49ers lost a 5th round pick for doing so. That would certainly be worth it from the Packers point of view if they could improve a comp pick in ’13 to a first or second rounder in the upcoming draft. But I agree with those who say that’s not Thompson’s style. So IMO the Packers wouldn’t stretch the rules like some teams but they could still engage in hypotheticals.

Tom Silverstein and Peter King both have written Finley’s deal makes a tag and trade of Flynn more likely. So that definitely lowers the chances of it happening. ;)

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If TT just lets him go we will likely get a 3rd round compensatory for Flynn, why lockup the cap money and risk a deal falling thru. Now you have manning in the equation, the rams will be likely looking to trade away their pick and Miami is in the range to move up, there are a lot of variables going on here that would not make Flynn a slam dunk trade for a First round pick. He has shown he is a quality QB but does he have the potential to be an elite QB?, could he make a team a Superbowl contender? Matt is a good QB but can he be a great QB? He has two great games on his resume with one of the best offenses in the league.

We will know in two weeks.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If TT just lets him go we will likely get a 3rd round compensatory for Flynn, why lockup the cap money and risk a deal falling thru.

That's not entirely true. Compensatory picks are based off of players lost and players acquired. The likely 3rd round pick is contingent upon the Packers not signing an equal or greater player. Let's say the Packers sign a free agent with a name, the Packers might not even get a compensatory pick for Flynn.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The franchise tag rule was not intended to be used in tag and trade deals. It was implemented so teams could keep their best players while the players involved would be fairly compensated. The NFL wouldn’t like the Packers tagging Flynn with the intention of doing a tag and trade as the link JenningsLongCatch indicates. They may even send the Packers a nasty letter.

Once a player signs a tag tender, the deal is guaranteed. That player will either receive the guaranteed one-year amount or agree to tear that deal up in favor of a longer term deal, usually with more guaranteed money than the tag amount. After the player signs the tag tender, the only question is which team is going to pay the guaranteed amount or which team he will sign a longer term deal with. If a team tags a player the team may withdraw the tag before the player signs it and the player immediately becomes a free agent.

The Packers could have a deal in place because the combine is “tampering central and it will be widespread this week like it always is”. This quote is from an article talking about the Steelers’ Mike Wallace but it makes a point widely known. There are ways of getting a point across without technically violating tampering rules. I’ll bet “hypotheticals” abound at the combine. LINK to article.

And it’s not the end of the world if the Packers are found guilty of tampering. The 49ers lost a 5th round pick for doing so. That would certainly be worth it from the Packers point of view if they could improve a comp pick in ’13 to a first or second rounder in the upcoming draft. But I agree with those who say that’s not Thompson’s style. So IMO the Packers wouldn’t stretch the rules like some teams but they could still engage in hypotheticals.

Tom Silverstein and Peter King both have written Finley’s deal makes a tag and trade of Flynn more likely. So that definitely lowers the chances of it happening. ;)

Great posting! GM's, coaches and agents can talk about hypotheticals all day long.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
That's not entirely true. Compensatory picks are based off of players lost and players acquired. The likely 3rd round pick is contingent upon the Packers not signing an equal or greater player. Let's say the Packers sign a free agent with a name, the Packers might not even get a compensatory pick for Flynn.
good point.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts