Packers Offer Job To McCarthy

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After reading the JS article a few days ago, and reading McCarthy's agent calling the interview "terrific," I figured it would come down to him, Bates and Payton. I glad that we took McCarthey before Payton, but hopefully Bates stays as DC.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
billv said:
Wolf supported McCarthy so I think it's a good decision. I now hope that Bates will continue as DC.

Wolf supported Ray Rhodes and Jamal Reynolds too. I'm doing my best not to get too down on TT right now, but this move just doesn't impress me....mind you, who else is out there, but...well, we should give this guy a shot first I guess

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just want to know, to all of you that support this move, do you support it because you honestly think it's a good move? Or is it more that you want to have hope and support the Packers? Or is it maybe just complete shock and you're not sure how to respond? I'm just curious because when McCarthy was brought up earlier in this forum I didn't see anyone jumping up and down over the thought of him becoming our coach.

gotarace27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When Mike Sherman was hired my response was Mike WHO??? Who the hell is he? Well if things don't come around full circle...Again i can ask Mike WHO??? Who the hell is he?

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I posted this on a deeply anti-Sherman website and while some of you here were at least neutral on Sherman you realized that Thompson did have the opportunity to maybe find someone who could bring the team back. Maybe he did, but being an old fart, to me this has a very strong smell of the 1970-s and 80's. I will be a Packer fan for life, but tonight I truly think Ted Thompson(and by connection Bob Harlan) have lost their collective minds.
----------------------------------------------

The other day on ESPN radio, Mike Ditka tore TT a new backend. He said Mike Sherman's firing was a travesty, saying he was a winning coach, loyal to the Packers, and a good man. He ended the rant with "Who the hell is Ted Thompson, anyway?" I remember that quote directly.

Well, after all the years of begging, pleading, getting nasty with Mike Sherman, I hope all of you clamoring for change will get behind your new superhero....m i k e m c ca r t h y.....

Well, all of you got your wish.

I argued that change isn't always good. Phil to Dan to Bart to Forrest to Lindy. I think we just revisted Forrest tonight.

Ted Thompson, that silver-haired sparrow searched coast-to-coast to find the right guy. What a genius Tightwad Ted is. Right on his own coaching staff is a veteran NFL coach with a touch for defense, motivating players, making something out of nothing. No, not Ted. He picked another 49'er offensive coordinator, just like his mentor Ronny boy. Ron Wolf's coordinator, Mike Holmgren however, had a track record of success. Problem is, this coordinator hasn't won crap anywhere he's gone. He was a real success under Ray Rhodes(remember Brett leaving the field with a towel on his head?). He went to New Orleans where he proved that he could put an offense together(I thought Green Bay had a good offense?) but somehow even with Jim Haslett as coach they couldn't put it together, then makes a lateral move to San Fran where he developed one of the league's worst offenses his first year. He benched the #1 pick in the draft Alex Smith(and this is going to help Aaron Rodgers?) then put him back on the field, then benched him again.

You have to hand it to ol' Ted. He really knows his stuff. Even if he didn't want Bates, he interviews the offensive coordinator for a winner (Payton) and a successful veteran coach(Phillips) No, Ted pulls the string on a guy who has done nothing but lose with bad teams.

Now having told a winning coach(Mike Sherman) to buzz off, he tells the guy who took the Packers defense to 8th in the league he isn't good enough.

That's on top of half-heartedly trying to find junk yard rejects to fill in for three Pro Bowl players(Wahle, Rivera, and Sharper- from Sherman's time, you know the guy who didn't know anything about personnel.)

Well, I hope all of you this fine evening who begged, pleaded and cursed for change take the time to pour yourself a long, cold one, then another, and another, because when you sober up in the morning, Ted Thompson is still going to be the GM and for the next five years, m i k e m c c a r t h y is going to be the guy to lead to Packers to (ahem) greatness.

Reaction score
Net, I am feeling the same way as you right now. Dear God I hope I am wrong! But this isn't something positive.

It sounds as Bates is headed out of town. If that is the case, I will truly have lost all respect for TT. No way can anyone justify TT letting Bates leave.

mattresell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.895425+-
I'm supporting TT's decision. The little that I've read about McCarthy over the past half hour has all been good. I think it's great that we have a guy to work with Rodgers. I can't pass full judgement until I find out what happens with Bates, but if he comes back as DC, I love the move.

I'm just not ready to jump all over TT because I hadn't heard much of McCarthy. Andy Reid wasn't highly sought after. Neither was Jeff Fisher or Lovie Smith. So there is a precedent for moves like this working out.

Also, other than Bates, I wasn't real high on any of the other candidates, so taking a risk like this doesn't particularly bother me. I could blow up in our face, much like like Sherman. I'm just not ready to freak out quite yet.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
I posted this on a deeply anti-Sherman website and while some of you here were at least neutral on Sherman you realized that Thompson did have the opportunity to maybe find someone who could bring the team back. Maybe he did, but being an old fart, to me this has a very strong smell of the 1970-s and 80's. I will be a Packer fan for life, but tonight I truly think Ted Thompson(and by connection Bob Harlan) have lost their collective minds.
----------------------------------------------

The other day on ESPN radio, Mike Ditka tore TT a new backend. He said Mike Sherman's firing was a travesty, saying he was a winning coach, loyal to the Packers, and a good man. He ended the rant with "Who the hell is Ted Thompson, anyway?" I remember that quote directly.

Well, after all the years of begging, pleading, getting nasty with Mike Sherman, I hope all of you clamoring for change will get behind your new superhero....m i k e m c ca r t h y.....

Well, all of you got your wish.

I argued that change isn't always good. Phil to Dan to Bart to Forrest to Lindy. I think we just revisted Forrest tonight.

Ted Thompson, that silver-haired sparrow searched coast-to-coast to find the right guy. What a genius Tightwad Ted is. Right on his own coaching staff is a veteran NFL coach with a touch for defense, motivating players, making something out of nothing. No, not Ted. He picked another 49'er offensive coordinator, just like his mentor Ronny boy. Ron Wolf's coordinator, Mike Holmgren however, had a track record of success. Problem is, this coordinator hasn't won crap anywhere he's gone. He was a real success under Ray Rhodes(remember Brett leaving the field with a towel on his head?). He went to New Orleans where he proved that he could put an offense together(I thought Green Bay had a good offense?) but somehow even with Jim Haslett as coach they couldn't put it together, then makes a lateral move to San Fran where he developed one of the league's worst offenses his first year. He benched the #1 pick in the draft Alex Smith(and this is going to help Aaron Rodgers?) then put him back on the field, then benched him again.

You have to hand it to ol' Ted. He really knows his stuff. Even if he didn't want Bates, he interviews the offensive coordinator for a winner (Payton) and a successful veteran coach(Phillips) No, Ted pulls the string on a guy who has done nothing but lose with bad teams.

Now having told a winning coach(Mike Sherman) to buzz off, he tells the guy who took the Packers defense to 8th in the league he isn't good enough.

That's on top of half-heartedly trying to find junk yard rejects to fill in for three Pro Bowl players(Wahle, Rivera, and Sharper- from Sherman's time, you know the guy who didn't know anything about personnel.)

Well, I hope all of you this fine evening who begged, pleaded and cursed for change take the time to pour yourself a long, cold one, then another, and another, because when you sober up in the morning, Ted Thompson is still going to be the GM and for the next five years, m i k e m c c a r t h y is going to be the guy to lead to Packers to (ahem) greatness.

hey net how ya been. I have to be honest, I stopped reading your post(again. I swear its not intentional) after the mike ditka slamming TT part. Sherman was indeed loyal. Thats great. What does that have to do with a scheme and winning? And he was a winning coach, Da Coach said. Let me go count all of Shermans Superbowl Rings. See what im saying? Take it easy, net. its gonna be a fun couple of days here!

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I can't believe we didn't go for the OC from Houston. At least the vikes have hired Darren Bevel as their OC. Bygones I suppose.

Reaction score
Trom, how many Superbowl rings do the Packers have under the Leadership of TT? It is too soon to count, but do you honestly think with histroy saying first year coaches have little succes and the fact that many of us have never heard of McCarthy before, that TT is nearing a Superbowl championship with the Packers?

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
I think it's great that we have a guy to work with Rodgers.

How do you figure? Because under McCarthy, Favre had one of his worst years? Oh wait, he did such a bang up job with Aaron Brooks and Alex Smith. This is looking like a trainwreck.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has been here one year.
Sherman had 5 years, and some of them as Gm AND Hc, and he got zip.

I really dont like the "and how many does TT have" argument. lets give TT 4 more years and see if he doesnt get us a frigging team that wins a playoff game.

Reaction score
I agree Trom it is an unfair assessment given TT's short tenure. But it isn't like this hiring ensures us a spot as being considered contenders. It isn't as if a Superbowl appearnece is guranteed with this move. That is why I think that a Superbowl appearence is out of the question for at least 2 years.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I am not excited by the hiring I will withhold judgement at this time. I remember not being very excited about the hiring of one Mike Holmgren and we know how that turned out.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
agreed. on the surface, mccarthy doesnt excite me(uhoh, a TT supporter saying such things!), but he has connections, and a lot of similarities to holmgren, and is well respected for some reason! So, lets see what him and TT can do building a team, get an OC in there that fits in, and hopefully Bates comes back(contract)...could be pretty good.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tro-

Just to refresh your memory...Sherman left Green Bay only behind Lombardi, Lambeau and Holmgren in winning percentage. That was Ditka's point.

Sorry.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is one decision that really has me thinking. We may lose Bates but we may get back Brett ? I am not sure about this scenerio yet ? In a perfect world we get to keep them both. Sorry, just rambling on this one. I do hope Bates stays though but if we lose them both ???????????????????.

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This must have been what it was like on Bears forums when the Bears hired the DC of the Rams as their head coach. That's riiiight.... Lovie Smith. Da Bears are now one of the best teams in the NFC and Lovie was voted coach of the year this year. My point is that just because McCarthy had a horrible offense in San Francisco doesn't make him a bad coach. You need players to be good, the coach can't do it all. I don't know how good he is, but I'm not going to doubt him until he does something to make me doubt him.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't doubt him either, it's Bates I am worried about now and Brett for that matter. But this coach does deserve a chance. Holding opinion for now.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is a good pick. The guy was respected by Wolf, is known to have a good offensive mind from around the league, uses the WCO, and is good teaching QB's. I say give him a shot....and keep Bates on the D side.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After ten long days without a coach, members of the Packer forum once again have a focus for their rage. Except some of them have switched sides, from pro-coach to anti-coach. The key is that no matter what you believe you have to be 100% convinced that you are absolutely right and that anyone who doesn't agree with you is a stark raving lunatic.

Maybe we should settle down and admit that most of us don't know jack about this guy. He could be great, he could be terrible, or he could be right smack in the middle, like Mike Sherman. And we probably won't start getting answers for a couple years. Thompson is rebuilding and no matter who coaches the Pack in 2006, they are not likely to be a contender. So let's settle in for a long ride and hope we've got a good one.

Personally, I was hoping for Bates or maybe Payton. But as mattresell said, if we can hang onto Bates this could end up being a very good move. Some have speculated that Bates would leave Green Bay if he didn't get the head coaching job, but where would he go? He had no other offers for interviews, and he is still under contract with the Packers.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Personally, I was hoping for Bates or maybe Payton. But as mattresell said, if we can hang onto Bates this could end up being a very good move. Some have speculated that Bates would leave Green Bay if he didn't get the head coaching job, but where would he go? He had no other offers for interviews, and he is still under contract with the Packers.

I don't question McCarthy's offensive ability, he's got a very solid resume, and he's worked with a lot of QB's--QB's of different styles, he's never led a team, but every coach has to start somewhere

IF Bates comes back, I like this move

Is Tom Rossley gonna get fired?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Maybe we should settle down and admit that most of us don't know jack about this guy".

I would be one of those people but am hoping for the Best Here now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts