Packers interest in MJD

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupid? Think things through? Snide and condescending, not very friendly.

*edit* way to big keep as a quote.

While your points are good, the thing is the Packers don't have the cap room. period.

Even taking out Jennings contract extension (which I don't believe they would let him go, but I digress) They still have CM3, Raji, and Rodgers contracts to worry about, and just Rodgers alone will be more than will allow them to sign Jones.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stupid? Think things through? Snide and condescending, not very friendly.

I've thought it through, and I'll respond:

Firstly, you're saying you can't imagine cutting Starks or Saine as your reason for not getting Jones. You have to be kidding. I'd cut 'em both in a second to make room for a prime-time back like Jones. What you suggest would be like the 49ers saying they couldn't possibly cut QB's Smith & Kaepernick to make room for Aaron Rodgers. Starks and Saine can be replaced every offseason by a rookie FA like Marc Tyler, losing them means nothing.

Who cares about Starks and Saine when your RB's are: Jones-Drew/Benson/Green/Kuhn?

Secondly, Jennings is 29 in about three weeks. I'll take the 27 y.o. Jones right now and let Jennings walk after the season if that's what it takes to add Jones. No mega-contract for Jennings, there's you money for Jones. Jennings would be 30 shortly after signing his $50MIL+ contract next year, and he's been injured last year and in camp this year...he could fall of just like Antonio Freeman did about 12 years ago when he hit 30 after signing a big contract.

Let Jennings go. In 2013, it's Nelson, Cobb, J. Jones at WR and Finley & Williams at TE. Oh yeah, and RB Jones raking in 40-50 catches. That should work out fine.

Thirdly, Jones is exactly what the Packers need. The holes Benson went through the other night where he got 5-to-10 yards would have been 20-to-40 yard runs for Jones. That's how much better Jones is than anyone the Packers have today. Jones is elite. His addition would be similar to adding Charles Woodson to the secondary, he doesn't just fill a hole, he brings All-Pro talent to an almost completely talentless position on this team.

Fourthly, had you "thought things through", you'd realize that just like KC did last year teams are going to play only six men in the box versus GB this year. They will ignore the Packers' non-existent rushing attack. That's their only way to stop Rodgers, and with the Packers pathetic RB's why not? But, if the Packers add RB Jones right now, all of the offseason plans by the DC's on every Packer opponent this season will be crushed. Jones will slice up every six-man front that is only focusing on Rodgers with their safeties deep.

Fifth, a good rushing attack has some benefits. It takes the heat off Rodgers, maybe keeping him healthy instead of just having teams tee-off on him. It takes some stress off of the Packers' poor defense by running some clock. Last, it really improves Rodgers' audibles, where he can hand-off/dump-pass to Jones for big yards instead of watching someone like Starks waste a down for a one-yard gain.

Jones-Drew on the Packers probably makes the season boring because everbody would know who's taking home the Lombardi.
You lost me at letting Jennings walk for a RB who helped his team to a 5-11 record last year. Like SpartChris said RB's are rarely an important factor in winning the Super Bowl. WR's on the other hand are important.

Starting RB's for the last 5 year's Super Bowl winning teams:
2012- Brandon Jacobs
2011- James Starks
2010- Reggie Bush
2009- Willie Parker
2008- Brandon Jacobs
Not exactly worldbeaters^

Starting WR's for the last 5 year's Super Bowl winning teams:
2012- Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz
2011- Greg Jennings, Donald Driver/ Jordy Nelson
2010- Marques Colston, Devery Henderson
2009- Hines Ward
2008- Plaxico Burress and possibly Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham or Steve Smith
Apart from 2009 and 2010 this is a great group of WR's.

And your saying you would rather be running the ball for 4 yards then throwing it for 9? These are MJD's and Rodgers averages last year.

You are comparing WR's and RB's play after big contracts? Hahaha. Donald Driver is 37. How many RB's do you know that are 37? We'd be lucky to get 3 years out of MJD. Greg Jennings could easily play 7 more year's at a high level no problem. Can't see MJD and how high his workload has been making it to 34.

And in recent memory how many players have come off a holdout and played well that year? Use fellow running back Chris Johnson for example. 3.7 yards per carry the next season. Garbage. Alex Green for half the money could get that with his eyes closed.

Now I'm not saying if MJD wanted to come here on the cheap I wouldn't take him. But to trade a high pick for him(When we know how good Thompson is in the draft), Throw a ton of money at him and have to lose Jennings, Rodgers, Matthews or Raji in the process it makes no sense. And also like I said I could MAYBE see it if it was a great position of need. But it's not! We have Benson, Green, Saine, Starks, Tyler and Kuhn all on the roster who are perfectly capable of taking us to another Super Bowl!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt TT is going to trade or give up a pick for a RB. We don't even need one and as stated already in this thread, we have other players we need to consider paying first.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MJD is great. He'd look even greater in green and gold. It ain't goin' to happen.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You lost me at letting Jennings walk for a RB who helped his team to a 5-11 record last year. Like SpartChris said RB's are rarely an important factor in winning the Super Bowl. WR's on the other hand are important.

2012- Brandon Jacobs
2011- James Starks
2010- Reggie Bush
2009- Willie Parker
2008- Brandon Jacobs

Starting WR's for the last 5 year's Super Bowl winning teams:
2012- Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz
2011- Greg Jennings, Donald Driver/ Jordy Nelson
2010- Marques Colston, Devery Henderson
2009- Hines Ward
2008- Plaxico Burress and possibly Hakeem Nicks, Mario Manningham or Steve Smith
Apart from 2009 and 2010 this is a great group of WR's.

And your saying you would rather be running the ball for 4 yards then throwing it for 9? These are MJD's and Rodgers averages last year.

You are comparing WR's and RB's play after big contracts? Hahaha. Donald Driver is 37. How many RB's do you know that are 37? We'd be lucky to get 3 years out of MJD. Greg Jennings could easily play 7 more year's at a high level no problem. Can't see MJD and how high his workload has been making it to 34.

And in recent memory how many players have come off a holdout and played well that year? Use fellow running back Chris Johnson for example. 3.7 yards per carry the next season. Garbage. Alex Green for half the money could get that with his eyes closed.

Now I'm not saying if MJD wanted to come here on the cheap I wouldn't take him. But to trade a high pick for him(When we know how good Thompson is in the draft), Throw a ton of money at him and have to lose Jennings, Rodgers, Matthews or Raji in the process it makes no sense. And also like I said I could MAYBE see it if it was a great position of need. But it's not! We have Benson, Green, Saine, Starks, Tyler and Kuhn all on the roster who are perfectly capable of taking us to another Super Bowl!

I agree with you 100%. 09 steelers also had Holmes too.

Jennings and mojo are going to want similar contracts, the only difference is, as you pointed out, how long they will be effective.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since this is not going to happen anyway time to play devils advocate:
Why not trade Jennings? Do not renegotiate (this you confirm in advance) and use MJD for a two year rental. If Jones/Cobb/Nelson are as good as advertised, we would have studs at all skill positions for the next two seasons. Put all your chips in while the window is open. Get another WR to try and replace Jennings next draft and a RB the following one. Most of the team is still young and not too many glaring needs to fill over the next few years. Just need to continue drafting
a few targeted replacements every season to stay near the top.

Couple issues, MJD will not tolerate being a 2 year rental. He wants a long term contract.

It's not a lock that TT will continue to draft all world WRs outside of the 1st round. I hope he does, but no one is that good to continue to do it every year.

The offense isn't build for Mojo. The offensive line isn't a run block type. The playbook isn't in his favor either.

There is no correlation between a high YPA and winning, that I have seen.

It's fun playing devils advocate though and a fun discussion.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Stupid? His addition would be similar to adding Charles Woodson to the secondary, he doesn't just fill a hole, he brings All-Pro talent to an almost completely talentless position on this team.
Seems more like the addition of Owens to the Eagles a few years back to me.

The idea of letting Jennings go to sign MJD for 2 years seems reasonable, but remember that MJD will likely want a longer contract and also likely hold out that second year. I don't feel that poisoning the locker room like that will lead to the play offs much less the Superbowl

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MJD would be more of a luxury and not a necessity, especially in the packers pass heavy offense

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since this is not going to happen anyway time to play devils advocate:
Why not trade Jennings? Do not renegotiate (this you confirm in advance) and use MJD for a two year rental. If Jones/Cobb/Nelson are as good as advertised, we would have studs at all skill positions for the next two seasons. Put all your chips in while the window is open. Get another WR to try and replace Jennings next draft and a RB the following one. Most of the team is still young and not too many glaring needs to fill over the next few years. Just need to continue drafting a few targeted replacements every season to stay near the top.
Now that is thinking out of the box.

To those who are criticizing the whole topic . . . I said in the OP it won't happen and that one of the main reasons was to improve my fantasy team. So this is entirely hypothetical. And if you don't like to think in hypotheticals, that's sad. Can you imagine a world with no hypothetical situations?

Now regarding trading of Jennings:

POSITIVES
The decrease in talent from the WRs without Jennings is much less than the increase in talent at RB if we add MJD. Think if we had Jennings and MJD on the roster right now and we had to loose one. It would be Jennings. We would be posting - hey we have lots of receivers who are pretty good right now.

NEGATIVES
MJD is a malcontent and I could be an issue.
We would lose a very strong locker room guy in Jennings, a leader.

Would I do the trade? Nope. If MJD was an Huge Packer fan and would play for us cheap - I would consider it. As I think about this now, MJD is looking at about 10M per year and that is about what it will take to sign Jennings long term. In the end, I would want to maintain my team chemistry and I don't make the trade.

If the last few teams to win the SB did not have a great RB that is an interesting statistic. But to draw the conclusion that having a great RB is somehow a detriment, is a mistake.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at this and tell me why someone would invest money in a 27 yr old RB
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couple issues, MJD will not tolerate being a 2 year rental. He wants a long term contract.

Agreed. Mojo's holdout is basically a cash grab because he knows his window is closing.

RB lifespan is better measured in touches (i.e., carries + catches) than age. Mojo has roughly 500 touches left barring significant injury. The guy is built like a small tank or a bowling ball, which suggests greater durability.

Does the chance to play for a title bring him to camp? -I dunno but that's not something I want to get tangled with.

The offense isn't build for Mojo. The offensive line isn't a run block type. The playbook isn't in his favor either

Under this logic, then our offense isn't built for any running back. I disagree.

Mojo is a versatile back: he can run it between the tackles and catch it out of the backfield. When he slips out of the backfield, a linebacker pretty much has to commit to him because he'll punish defenses with the ball in space. I believe he would be extremely effective in our offense... if we could magically transport ourselves to a universe where this would happen.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Mojo's holdout is basically a cash grab because he knows his window is closing.

RB lifespan is better measured in touches (i.e., carries + catches) than age. Mojo has roughly 500 touches left barring significant injury. The guy is built like a small tank or a bowling ball, which suggests greater durability.

Does the chance to play for a title bring him to camp? -I dunno but that's not something I want to get tangled with.

Under this logic, then our offense isn't built for any running back. I disagree.

Mojo is a versatile back: he can run it between the tackles and catch it out of the backfield. When he slips out of the backfield, a linebacker pretty much has to commit to him because he'll punish defenses with the ball in space. I believe he would be extremely effective in our offense... if we could magically transport ourselves to a universe where this would happen.

IMO our offense isn't built for a high price featured running back is what I meant by the comment.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like SpartChris said RB's are rarely an important factor in winning the Super Bowl. WR's on the other hand are important.

2012- Brandon Jacobs
2011- James Starks
2010- Reggie Bush
2009- Willie Parker
2008- Brandon Jacobs

The predilection with star power at the RB position on the last five super bowl champions obscures the fact that all of these teams were running the ball effectively at the point they made their runs. Note, many of these teams found success with a committee approach to the RB spot (your list above omits several backs that were instrumental for their team).

Rodgers will not be as efficient this year as he was in 2011. Regression to the mean.

4 YPC is impressive when defenses are basically scheming to stop Mojo in that crap Jaguars offense. Imagine him inserted into an offense where defenses have to scheme primarily against the pass. Won't happen but it's fun to imagine. Like John Lennon.

And in recent memory how many players have come off a holdout and played well that year? Use fellow running back Chris Johnson for example. 3.7 yards per carry the next season. Garbage.

Yep. I hope fantasy football managers are paying attention.

Now I'm not saying if MJD wanted to come here on the cheap I wouldn't take him. But to trade a high pick for him(When we know how good Thompson is in the draft), Throw a ton of money at him and have to lose Jennings, Rodgers, Matthews or Raji in the process it makes no sense.

Yep. If the discussion is framed as keeping Jennings or having Mojo, then it's easy to say we should stand pat. But if we were only talking about a second or third round pick and Mojo is willing to cheerfully play out the remaining two years on his contract, then I think we do it... None of this speaks to the salary cap ramifications...

Either way, MJD isn't happening.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Now that is thinking out of the box.

To those who are criticizing the whole topic . . . I said in the OP it won't happen and that one of the main reasons was to improve my fantasy team. So this is entirely hypothetical. And if you don't like to think in hypotheticals, that's sad. Can you imagine a world with no hypothetical situations?

I tried to think what this forum would be like with out the thread you created..But aliens attacked my brain

Members online

Latest posts