Packer Report is Bearly alive anymore

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ray Nitschke must be rolling in his grave. The publication he helped start has gone to the bad side. It's apropos that I write this post on Bear week. I don't know if you folks have heard, but Packer Report is now being run by the publisher and editor of Bear Report. First thing he did was get rid of all of the good writers. PR is basically written by one guy now. BORING!!! I'm sure the new publisher from Bear Report will say he got rid of all of the other writers because of a business decision. Well, I have business decision for him. I canceled my subscription to PR. I don't like what is happening over there. It's like when some of the Brewer season ticket holders sold their seats to Cub fans this past season. Two things that should never mix is Chicago and Green Bay, or Milwaukee for that matter. Although I get most of my Packer news from the MJS, GBPG or the WSJ, I enjoyed getting some perspective from PR. Those days are over.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ALERT!!! There has been another writer spotted on PR, besides the SAME guy that writes ALL of the stories. Wait a minute, I checked the guy out, and it turns out he was a Bear Report writer.

OP
OP
A

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 37
Bears 3

How apropos is that Bear Report...er...Packer Report!

Great win, I only wish PR had real writers now, instead of Chicago scrubs.

Acme Packing Co.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Scout still publishing this magazine? I used to pay about $25 a year for it. If they are still in business, does anyone here know what is a good way to get a hold of them and get a fairly good subscription rate?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I loved the way Ray Nitschke played and I subscribed to Packer Report until the Journal Sentinel began publishing Packers Plus. Even in its heyday IMO Packer Report was too “homer-ish”. That wasn’t a problem at Packers Plus and the quality of the writing was much better. Since you can access the internet – again just my opinion – I think you can get more Packers news and information by visiting Packers sites. Here’s a good place to start:
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/an-index-of-other-sites-that-are-usually-cited-here.55595/

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other day I found an old fan in my parents basement, must be 40 years old but I turned it on and sure enough it runs like a dream. No sound, nothing but air. Naturally it was made in Chicago back in the 60s. Compare it to the modern rattle traps made in China and well the old fan beats them hands down.

Why am I talking about fans? Because just as cheap Chinese labor has helped fill our marketplace with an abundance of cheap crappy goods at the expense of quality the internet has replaced many of the old sports journalists with with amateur bloggers. The publications that are still standing have had to cut back on quantity and quality to compete.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just posted "Should save this for the off-season. Could generate a long thread on what some folks will spend money on that others think is ridiculous." in the thread about Green Bay Phenomenon. Now, we can add this one and those about how overpaid athletes are. Should keep us busy between the draft and training camp next year. :)

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other day I found an old fan in my parents basement, must be 40 years old but I turned it on and sure enough it runs like a dream. No sound, nothing but air. Naturally it was made in Chicago back in the 60s. Compare it to the modern rattle traps made in China and well the old fan beats them hands down.

Why am I talking about fans? Because just as cheap Chinese labor has helped fill our marketplace with an abundance of cheap crappy goods at the expense of quality the internet has replaced many of the old sports journalists with with amateur bloggers. The publications that are still standing have had to cut back on quantity and quality to compete.

Agreed. Pro Football Weekly was another long time great publication to bite the dust in the last 2 years. Instead of quality writing and analysis from seasoned journalists with inside connections to teams and players, we're getting more obvious drivel from 12 year olds sitting in their rooms.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
… just as cheap Chinese labor has helped fill our marketplace with an abundance of cheap crappy goods at the expense of quality the internet has replaced many of the old sports journalists with with amateur bloggers. The publications that are still standing have had to cut back on quantity and quality to compete.
Agreed. Pro Football Weekly was another long time great publication to bite the dust in the last 2 years. Instead of quality writing and analysis from seasoned journalists with inside connections to teams and players, we're getting more obvious drivel from 12 year olds sitting in their rooms.
I disagree. I won’t bore you with old-man stories but compared to pre-internet days IMO there’s a wealth of good to great writers we have access to via the internet. Bob McGinn, Tom Silverstein, Pete Dougherty, Eric Baranczyk, and Jason Wilde - just to name a few - are all seasoned professional journalists who do good to great work covering the Packers. And I’m probably leaving some out. The Journal/Sentinel site also hires young writers who do pretty good work IMO. Tyler Dunne did well enough to move on to cover his hometown Bills. Michael Cohen is the current youngster.

I used to subscribe to Pro Football Weekly and I have long admired the football knowledge of Hub Arkush. Even though PFW is no more, you can still read his stuff at chicagofootball.com. It’s understandably more Bears-focused so I don’t regularly read it. But Hub is the new host of the post game show on WSCR 670 The Score “bear’s radio” along with two former bears. He has been a regular on the station for years, available to answer questions from fans of any team. He joined the post game show after the death of Doug Buffone last year.

Is there all kinds of crap on the internet? Of course, but you don’t have to read it. You just have to find the good stuff – and a lot of the work of finding it has been done for you on this site.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points,TJV. However the percentage of 'crap' to the pros you mentioned is higher than ever, and growing.
A great one stop shopping for all sports and teams is sportspyder.com. Check they're home page for the Packers. Sometimes you get several articles from JSOnline and such. Mostly garbage, like the idiot at totalpackers, Monte McMahon, who spends a lot of his time making snarky remarks about Rodgers girlfriend.
On a whole it's gone downhill, and some great stuff has been replaced by mindless garbage.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Good points,TJV. However the percentage of 'crap' to the pros you mentioned is higher than ever, and growing.
From my perspective, while that may be true the access to the pros is better than ever: For example, consider the number of newspapers you have access to on the internet. And there's access to "indexes" like sportspyder.com, as you mentioned and packernet.com. I've never read totalpackers or Monte McMahon (unless there was a link to them here) and I have no plans to.

The volume of crap on all subjects is no doubt growing exponentially. But access to good/great stuff is growing too, even if it's at a much slower rate. I'm more than happy to "put up with" the former (which I do my best to totally ignore) for the benefit of the latter.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

I believe the story quoted above is yet even more proof that us older fans are simply better than all you newer fans out there! As Easy indicated above, born in the USA in the 60s or earlier seems to be the requirement for "good quality".

:D

Acme Packing Co.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the way Ray Nitschke played and I subscribed to Packer Report until the Journal Sentinel began publishing Packers Plus. Even in its heyday IMO Packer Report was too “homer-ish”. That wasn’t a problem at Packers Plus and the quality of the writing was much better. Since you can access the internet – again just my opinion – I think you can get more Packers news and information by visiting Packers sites. Here’s a good place to start:
https://www.packerforum.com/threads/an-index-of-other-sites-that-are-usually-cited-here.55595/

Thank you very much TJV! Very helpful thread you gave me there. I forgot about Packers Plus. Is that about the best out there now? I don't live in Wisconsin anymore so my only "local" information is the internet. But I hate computers and appreciate actual paper in my hand.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I forgot about Packers Plus. Is that about the best out there now?
I'm not sure of all that's out there but if the Green Bay Press Gazette doesn't offer a comparable publication (as far as I know they don't in paper form), I would purchase Packers Plus. However, be forewarned: My guess is it'll be relatively expensive.

Click this link: https://subscriber.jsonline.com/SubscriberPage.aspx and then click "Show all" and one of the publications shown will be Packers Plus. Then you can put in your zip code and get a price. Or call 1-800-759-6397. Good luck!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe the story quoted above is yet even more proof that us older fans are simply better than all you newer fans out there! As Easy indicated above, born in the USA in the 60s or earlier seems to be the requirement for "good quality".

:D

To us newer fans you older fans always seem crazy and mellowdramatic, must be all the lead you took in back in the 60s.

Acme Packing Co.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure of all that's out there but if the Green Bay Press Gazette doesn't offer a comparable publication (as far as I know they don't in paper form), I would purchase Packers Plus. However, be forewarned: My guess is it'll be relatively expensive.

Click this link: https://subscriber.jsonline.com/SubscriberPage.aspx and then click "Show all" and one of the publications shown will be Packers Plus. Then you can put in your zip code and get a price. Or call 1-800-759-6397. Good luck!
Thanks, but they're telling me not available to my area. Weekly publication will get to the west coast a week late.

Latest posts