Pack takes Aaron Rodgers -

SanDiegoCheese

West Coast Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah...yeah... I've heard that story a million times. What I should have said was that when McCarthy and Ted decided to go with Rodgers and part ways with Favre, I was ok with that. As I said, I don't watch college ball so... I never heard of Aaron Rodgers OR Alex Smith for that matter.

I'm from San Diego (hence the name, LOL!)

Alex Smith played at Helix High along with Reggie Bush here in SD. I remember he was SUPER smart, and considered a winner. At Utah, he barely lost, he had a GREAT record. (Sorry, to lazy to google. LOL!) He played in a spread offense under Urban Meyer, he was considered a winner but not a great NFL prospect. Something along the lines of Tim Tebow, coincidentally also played under Urban Meyer. I think some nfl analysts questions A-Rod's attitude, SF went with the "safer" pic and like they say, the rest is history. :tup:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's a "crapshoot" many times when it comes to the draft. Rodgers was the 2nd qb taken, but I wonder how many teams are saying, "damnit, we could have had Rodgers". right Vikings, Bears and Lions?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?season=2005
To be a good QB you need to have a good team around you.
For example, take a look at Joe Montana when he went to KC after winning all those SBs with the 9ers.
So who knows what would happened had A-Rod gone to any of those other teams.
For all we know, he still could have been a bench warmer.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
If he had gone to the 9'ers I am not sure he would be the player he is today. How many coaches and system changes have they had. He would have been thrown right into the fire. Here he had the benefit of 3 years with Big Mac and his quarterback school. He had time to completely makeover his throwing motion and the time to learn to read defenses with the best before he ever made his first start. The best thing to ever happen to him was to fall to us. Not to mention it was the best thing to happen to us.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll never know what he'd become but probably wouldn't be a MVP winner in just his 4th season as a starter with the Niners.

RustyShackleford

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he had gone to the 9'ers I am not sure he would be the player he is today. How many coaches and system changes have they had. He would have been thrown right into the fire. Here he had the benefit of 3 years with Big Mac and his quarterback school. He had time to completely makeover his throwing motion and the time to learn to read defenses with the best before he ever made his first start. The best thing to ever happen to him was to fall to us. Not to mention it was the best thing to happen to us.

Meh. I sometimes think too much is made of that. Maybe if Smith didn't suck they wouldn't have gone through so many coaches and systems. Plenty of QB's start out on lousy teams and end up in the Hall of Fame. Conversely, a guy like Kolb was basically in the same situation as Rodgers and he's still struggling. I think Rodgers has enough talent and determination to eventually succeed no matter where he ended up.

Pacal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Charles Robinson of Yahoo is still writing for them after that article, I'll probably never visit Yahoo sports again.

Not only does Charles Robinson still write for Yahoo!, but he is considered one of the best sports investigative reporters in the business.

He helped break the Reggie Bush/USC story and Ohio State/Jim Tressel story.

ESPN recently tried to hire him, but he turned them down.

Obviously, he's terrible at making predictions. But most draft analyses are terrible, anyway.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arod would have been eaten alive as a rookie. He needed alot of work and wouldnt have had the time if the 49ers had drafted him. I dont know if he would have ever recovered. Seems like just last season he learned not to hold onto the ball for so long.

MM deserves alot of credit for Arods progression. He spent alot of time working with him and tweaking things.

CarolinaPackerFan

Packers fan in Panthers country
Reaction score
Not only does Charles Robinson still write for Yahoo!, but he is considered one of the best sports investigative reporters in the business.

He helped break the Reggie Bush/USC story and Ohio State/Jim Tressel story.

ESPN recently tried to hire him, but he turned them down.

Obviously, he's terrible at making predictions. But most draft analyses are terrible, anyway.

I tweeted him and asked him: @CharlesRobinson Can you please explain your take on Maurice Clarrett and the Packers in this article you wrote in '05?

He replied:
@HiMyNameIsTimbo I didn't know Maurice had a drinking problem, and Collins was a far better player than most front offices predicted.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I tweeted him and asked him: @CharlesRobinson Can you please explain your take on Maurice Clarrett and the Packers in this article you wrote in '05?

He replied: @HiMyNameIsTimbo I didn't know Maurice had a drinking problem, and Collins was a far better player than most front offices predicted.
ah...so this story he published was all about predictions(what others thought), not what he knew.

Members online

Latest posts