Opening Day!

Albi-A-Saint

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, let me say after reading through some on this thread, I just wanted to say that you Pack fans seem very respectful and show class. I have only checked out the Falcons and Panthers forums before and they were ridiculous.

I think this be a exciting game and I can't wait to watch.

I think Gregg Williams is going to attempt to put pressure on Rodgers, because Rodgers will pick-a-part a defense that just tries to cover with the weapons at his disposal. Hopefully we can contain him in the pocket, because Rodgers is at his best when's he rolling out of the pocket. It will be interesting to see if Ryan Grant will be effective in returning from injury against our improved Run-Defense.

I think our offense will attempt to establish the run game early, since your secondary and pass rush are above average. Then Payton can attempt some play-action to catch some players off-guard. I doubt we will put up numbers like we did in 2008, since Don Capers wasn't around then and your defense players have been upgraded.

Good luck guys. These are two of the Best teams in the NFC this year, so it should be fun for everyone watching...

truerjulie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As good as we Saints' fans may believe/hope our team is this year, the truth is that many of us are worried about this game. Our roster is one of the best and deepest we've ever had, and I'm really excited to see how we'll do this season. But I also think you guys are going to be incredibly hard to beat if you stay healthy. Given the atmosphere of the game, and the many question marks on our team (LB, Run D, etc), only total Who Dat homers would predict anything other than a close game, win or loss. That being said, I do wonder why none of you are at all concerned that we might win. I know that the odds are in your favor in many respects, but so much can happen on any given Sunday ... Are you really THAT confident that you'll win? Aren't you just a little bit worried about us? I'm not asking you to feed the trolls, or looking to argue which receiver is better or which stats matter most. But don't you think it's entirely reasonable for someone to think the Saints might actually win this game? I'm sincerely curious, because I think you guys are an awesome team and fanbase, and I'm personally tired of hearing from total homers on both sides. It really seems to be much more of a toss-up to me that could go either way.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I do believe the Saints will win, my 42-17 prediction was to get a rise out of the forum.
WhoDat!656
I went on a Packers fan forum (This one right here.) to see what, if anything, their fans are saying about the game next week. I did not do any trash talking!!

A lot of the posts indicate that Packer fans know the Saints are quite capabe of winning this game, but expect the Packers to win.

Here is link in anyopne wants to visiit; I signed up as SaintsWillWin.

WhoDat!656

Dont waste your time, at least on the link I posted.

Packer fans are touchier than a Catholic Summer School!

From: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/36026-packers-forum.html

FF here;
Let me see if I got this....

You come in here to make a post just to "get a rise out of" us.
We give you that.
And then you complain about it to the point of insulting us!?

I realize your not on here to make any friends with your asinine posts, but the least you could do is be a gracious guest and be friendly.
You should get a clue and learn from the other Saints fans who are posting on here and being class acts all around.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As good as we Saints' fans may believe/hope our team is this year, the truth is that many of us are worried about this game. Our roster is one of the best and deepest we've ever had, and I'm really excited to see how we'll do this season. But I also think you guys are going to be incredibly hard to beat if you stay healthy. Given the atmosphere of the game, and the many question marks on our team (LB, Run D, etc), only total Who Dat homers would predict anything other than a close game, win or loss. That being said, I do wonder why none of you are at all concerned that we might win. I know that the odds are in your favor in many respects, but so much can happen on any given Sunday ... Are you really THAT confident that you'll win? Aren't you just a little bit worried about us? I'm not asking you to feed the trolls, or looking to argue which receiver is better or which stats matter most. But don't you think it's entirely reasonable for someone to think the Saints might actually win this game? I'm sincerely curious, because I think you guys are an awesome team and fanbase, and I'm personally tired of hearing from total homers on both sides. It really seems to be much more of a toss-up to me that could go either way.
Being a fan of the team that just won the SB and doing so with the odds against them, especially with the speed bumps on the road to Dallas, it's just too damn hard for me to have even an inkling of a thought of the game not going the way for the Pack.
Now if we were any other team, Browns, Lions, Texans, Titans, Panthers, etc... you know, those that have been either in the cellar or always so damn unpredictable with a see-saw record year after year then we would not only think but reluctantly expect the Saints to win.
And let's face reality. It's the SB champs against the team whose last game played was a loss to.. The SeaChickens?
If you can't see where we are coming from and blame us for being homers, well, that's not our problem.

Why the F is it wrong to be a homer? Since when is it wrong to blindly root for your own team no matter what the odds?

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WhoDat!656
I went on a Packers fan forum (This one right here.) to see what, if anything, their fans are saying about the game next week. I did not do any trash talking!!

A lot of the posts indicate that Packer fans know the Saints are quite capabe of winning this game, but expect the Packers to win.

Here is link in anyopne wants to visiit; I signed up as SaintsWillWin.

WhoDat!656

Dont waste your time, at least on the link I posted.

Packer fans are touchier than a Catholic Summer School!

From: http://blackandgold.com/nfl/36026-packers-forum.html

FF here;
Let me see if I got this....

You come in here to make a post just to "get a rise out of" us.
We give you that.
And then you complain about it to the point of insulting us!?

I realize your not on here to make any friends with your asinine posts, but the least you could do is be a gracious guest and be friendly.
You should get a clue and learn from the other Saints fans who are posting on here and being class acts all around.

If you notice, his thread didn't exactly get a lot of replies over there. Every now and then you just run into someone who fails at the internet.

truerjulie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being a fan of the team that just won the SB and doing so with the odds against them, especially with the speed bumps on the road to Dallas, it's just too damn hard for me to have even an inkling of a thought of the game not going the way for the Pack.
Now if we were any other team, Browns, Lions, Texans, Titans, Panthers, etc... you know, those that have been either in the cellar or always so damn unpredictable with a see-saw record year after year then we would not only think but reluctantly expect the Saints to win.
And let's face reality. It's the SB champs against the team whose last game played was a loss to.. The SeaChickens?
If you can't see where we are coming from and blame us for being homers, well, that's not our problem.

Why the F is it wrong to be a homer? Since when is it wrong to blindly root for your own team no matter what the odds?

It's one thing to "root" for your team, which we clearly ALL DO. It's another to be unable or unwilling to discuss any aspect of your team or a potential matchup with any degree of objectivity. If all you have to offer by way of analysis is "We won the Superbowl and you lost in the playoffs ha ha lolz u suk" that's fine. Your board, your call.

I'm here b/c I like and respect you guys and I'm genuinely interested in hearing what you think about this game. If you'd rather have the place all to yourself to continue discussing how you'll be invincible and never lose another game again, then that's your right. I hope your coaches and players are taking us as seriously as you are :)

Good luck guys. I'll be cheering for you in Week 5.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Well stated position truerjulie. I'd like to think we can all be rational and logical. There are those who come to this forum from other teams whose thoughtful and insightful posts I truly enjoy. I'll make a deal with you, I won't lump all Saints fans together if you don't lump all Packer fans together.
I am looking forward to tomorrow's game because I think it is going to be a great well fought battle between two incredibly talented teams. I do think the lockout, the lack of OTA's and shortened training camps are going to result in slightly sloppier football than in previous years and it may be a matter of which team can more quickly and more completely "pull it all together" and smooth out the " wrinkles. I'm not certain that will be us, but I am certainly hopeful that it will be and given the lack of certainty I choose to believe that the odds favor the Packers being able to do so better and sooner because of the extended run we had last season in the post season.

truerjulie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll make a deal with you, I won't lump all Saints fans together if you don't lump all Packer fans together.

Deal. For the most part, I've found Packer fans to be some of the nicest and most intelligent fans out there. And we're all better than Steeler and Falcon fans by a wide margin.

I am looking forward to tomorrow's game because I think it is going to be a great well fought battle between two incredibly talented teams. I do think the lockout, the lack of OTA's and shortened training camps are going to result in slightly sloppier football than in previous years and it may be a matter of which team can more quickly and more completely "pull it all together" and smooth out the " wrinkles. I'm not certain that will be us, but I am certainly hopeful that it will be and given the lack of certainty I choose to believe that the odds favor the Packers being able to do so better and sooner because of the extended run we had last season in the post season.

Thanks for responding to my question. I certainly don't think you're wrong to think you guys are more likely to win the game tomorrow. Home field, Superbowl banner, getting your team back healthy--you definitely have advantages and recent history to give you confidence. We'll definitely have to play our very best to come away with the W, but I do like some of our offseason additions, esp. Mark Ingram, Cam Jordan, Shaun Rogers, Aubrayo Franklin, and Darren Sproles (people who think we'll miss Reggie Bush are delusional). I know you guys kept most of your roster intact, but do you have any new players you're excited about? Any rookies you think will make a difference right away? We've got a couple important guys (Will Smith and Lance Moore) out for this game. Any chance Clay Matthews or B.J. Rajii has a head cold or gets lost on the way to the stadium? Any chance you guys decide to just rest Finley another week? :)

Are there any players or areas that worry you? I've read that you guys have a lot of new starters on the o-line and that they gave up some sacks in the preseason. On our side, I'm concerned about some of the matchups of our o-line against your d-line, and we have always struggled to cover elite TEs.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I posted earlier, our question marks are the offensive line and special team coverage units. These are the same question marks we've hard each of the past three or four years. I am pretty worried about our o-line being able to handle the schemes that Williams will be sure to throw at us all night long.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I do believe the Saints will win, my 42-17 prediction was to get a rise out of the forum.

The game will probably be more like 34-31 Saints, or in that general area.

The only way the Saints score 40+ is if, God forbid, something catastrophic happens to either the offense or defense.
Nice to see you're a reasonable guy and not a troll ;)

And contrary to what everyone is saying I fully expect it to be a really small scoring game. Remember you and MN last year?

Rodgers and the offense tend to start the year slowly but come on strong on the end. Happened in 08, 09 and last year.

But this Capers' D is really reliable, the most it allowed last year was 31 points, but that was against the best offense in the league in the Patriots' offense, and 7 points off it were from a pick 6 that Flynn threw, and one dive started at the Packers' 4 yard line.

So, in essence, 24 points where fault of the defense, not 31, and it can even be argued that in that game the D was only at fault for 17 points, or 20, if that fluky return hadn't happened.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I could see the Saints winning. Depending on how it goes I wouldnt be that concerned. Its a long season, not a sprint but a marathon. The best team in Sept isnt always the best team in Feb.

It would be nice to lay the smackdown though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In spite of a certain Saints fan here, I kinda like the Saints. BTW, all fan bases have jackasses - check out how some so-called Packers fans treated Aaron Rodgers in 2008 if you think we Packers fans are immune from that charge. Even so, you would think a fan of a team which has mostly a sad history and exactly one title under its belt would show a little more respect when visiting a forum of a team from the aptly named "Titletown". Not a big deal though, just goes to show you can't buy class.

Anyway, there are a couple of ties between the Saints and the Packers I find interesting. In 2006 when Ted Thompson was looking for a new head coach to replace Mike Sherman, he interviewed Sean Payton for the job. Here's an excerpt from Payton's book, "Home Team: Coaching the Saints and New Orleans Back to Life: "I really thought there was a good chance I was getting the Packers' job. Without a doubt, Green Bay is where I wanted to go." I heard Payton repeat that sentiment emphatically in a radio interview last season. He really wanted to be the Packers' HC and I was surprised him saying so after having won a Super Bowl. Then before the 2009 season when McCarthy was looking for a defensive coordinator, he interviewed Gregg Williams. At the time, Williams was my first choice for the job. Of course both teams did extremely well regarding both hirings and we can expect a great game tonight.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints were the underdog for so many years it was difficult not to be happy for them and their fan base when they finally won the superbowl.

I am looking for a very good game tonight. Tomorrows headline? "Packers begin quest to repeat with impressive win over the Saints". My prediction is for the Pack to win by a good margin of 17. I think AR will be able to exploit the middle of the Saints defense. I think we will also run at whoever is replacing Smith at DE.

On defense, I just think our secondary is going to be a good matchup against the Saints receivers. Not sure how far along the Saint running game is going to be, but don't underestimate the Packers ability to stop the run.

MM has only lost one opener since becoming HC. I look for that trend to continue.

morningwood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints were the underdog for so many years it was difficult not to be happy for them and their fan base when they finally won the superbowl.

I am looking for a very good game tonight. Tomorrows headline? "Packers begin quest to repeat with impressive win over the Saints". My prediction is for the Pack to win by a good margin of 17. I think AR will be able to exploit the middle of the Saints defense. I think we will also run at whoever is replacing Smith at DE.

On defense, I just think our secondary is going to be a good matchup against the Saints receivers. Not sure how far along the Saint running game is going to be, but don't underestimate the Packers ability to stop the run.

MM has only lost one opener since becoming HC. I look for that trend to continue.

Another connection, we are the only team playing tonight with a Lombardi on the coaching staff.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In spite of a certain Saints fan here, I kinda like the Saints. BTW, all fan bases have jackasses - check out how some so-called Packers fans treated Aaron Rodgers in 2008 if you think we Packers fans are immune from that charge. Even so, you would think a fan of a team which has mostly a sad history and exactly one title under its belt would show a little more respect when visiting a forum of a team from the aptly named "Titletown". Not a big deal though, just goes to show you can't buy class.

I didn't accept the statement after pages of garbage that the 42-17 protection was just to just get a rise out of Packers fans.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts